• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

The King's Draft Wish list...

I know less than most about the 2011 draft class, but that’s not going to stop me from picking the players I like and telling you why I want to see them suit up as a Buffalo Bill.

Before I get going allow me to say that I really hate Buffalo’s approach to the draft, we force our hand far too often by letting players walk and creating holes we have no fix for.
    This basically forces us to draft for our holes and never gives us a chance to get ahead and develop players. Forget BPA when you consistently have to fill gaps just to play on Sundays. That being said you’ll see my strategy below is about stabilizing the core of this team.

I'll give 2 picks per spot.

1st round: Nick Fairley DT(Auburn) or Daquan Bowers DE(Clemson)... Our offense has shown the ability to get things done even though as a whole it's inconsistent. We're weaker on defense and both these players can make an immediate impact.

2nd round: Danny Watkins G(Baylor). If Watkins falls, which is iffy, he may finally be able to put an end to the revolving door the Bills have on the O-Line, having four building blocks will hopefully put an end to the turnstile nightmare that has been our O-line.

What's Not to love about Mark Herzlich OLB(BC)? I have heard a plenty about what people say he lacks. But this kids drive and passion for the game make him a player I want to see in Buffalo. Will he be a 5-time pro-bowler? Probably not but will he add consistency to a weak position in our line-up? Absolutely.

3rd round: Chimdi Chekwa CB(Ohio State). With McKelvins football intelligence and Terrence McGee's toughness this is position we need to bolster down... Florence makes for a solid nickel but I can see both our starters elsewhere in 2012 a guy like Chekwa could help us through that transition. (Man I miss Jabari Greer).

DJ Williams TE (Arkansas) the Bills haven't had a TE threat since Jay Riermersma, Williams has been a consistent receiving threat, and could possibly work as an H-Back.

4th round: Casey Matthews ILB(Oregon). I am jumping on the Matthews DNA bandwagon. Casey isn't the 3rd coming of Clay Matthews Sr. but he plays with the same tenacity, he's the type of player you love to root for, crazy hair flying around the field, I dont care if he's a situational player, this is the type of guy who makes watching football fun. The fourth round may be a reach, but it's one worth taking.

Jeron Johnson SS(Boise State), I love Bryan Scott, I'm comfortable with him being the guy at SS, but that doesn’t mean we can ignore Whitners departure. Jeron has that compact SS build I like to see, he also has a bit of a mean streak in him (look at his hit on Russell Hill).
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Re: The King's Draft Wish list...

Everybody below the 1st round you're reaching badly for.

Watkins is a 26 yr old rookie, Chekwa has horrific consistency issues and while physically talented needs a ton of technique work, Herzlich we've gone and over and I think you overvalue him.

Williams makes some sense and would be a fit but he's basically Shawn Nelson 2.0, with a better work ethic we hope.

Casey Matthews is a poor poor poor version of his brother, and while Jeron Johnson has nice size and speed, Im not sold on his tackling technique in the open field or coverage skills.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
      Everybody below the 1st round you're reaching badly for.

Watkins is a 26 yr old rookie, Chekwa has horrific consistency issues and while physically talented needs a ton of technique work, Herzlich we've gone and over and I think you overvalue him.

Williams makes some sense and would be a fit but he's basically Shawn Nelson 2.0, with a better work ethic we hope.

Casey Matthews is a poor poor poor version of his brother, and while Jeron Johnson has nice size and speed, Im not sold on his tackling technique in the open field or coverage skills.
      Well **** man, who would you draft...

Comment

• k-oneputt
        • Jun 2009

I like Chekwa, but not in the 3rd rd. This team has to use those first three picks on linemen or a qb.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
          • Jul 2003

I think Mark Herzlich is going to be a heck of a pro and somebody is going to get a steal. Some team will pick him in the 2nd or 3rd and the draftniks will say he was overdrafted, but they are wrong.

People forget he was ACC Defensive Player of the Year before his cancer hit. He returned last season but he didn't have his legs. He needs more time, but he will improve physically to the player he was before.

However, the thing that is going to make him a good pro are his size and instincts. He is a tall, thick ILB with great instincts. Those instincts are what make him ACC DPOY and they haven't abandoned him. Cancer is a terrible disease, and he is still getting his strength back (especially in his legs), but the arrow is up on the kid.

He is a big, tough, fearless ILB with great instincts and an outstanding attitude. He is going to be a tremendous pro, and some team will recognize that and value it come draft day.
          Last edited by Ickybaluky; 02-16-2011, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jamze132
            Well **** man, who would you draft...
            Working on that now!

I finally have the freedom to do that, which is why I havent posted a mock all year long.
            COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
              I think Mark Herzlich is going to be a heck of a pro and somebody is going to get a steal. Some team will pick him in the 2nd or 3rd and the draftniks will say he was overdrafted, but they are wrong.

People forget he was ACC Defensive Player of the Year before his cancer hit. He returned last season but he didn't have his legs. He needs more time, but he will improve physically to the player he was before.

However, the thing that is going to make him a good pro are his size and instincts. He is a tall, thick ILB with great instincts. Those instincts are what make him ACC DPOY and they haven't abandoned him. Cancer is a terrible disease, and he is still getting his strength back (especially in his legs), but the arrow is up on the kid.

He is a big, tough, fearless ILB with great instincts and an outstanding attitude. He is going to be a tremendous pro, and some team will recognize that and value it come draft day.
              2nd or 3rd is over drafting and its because he doesnt have the range to be the same LB he was in the ACC in the NFL. He is slow speed wise and will struggle to get to the spot. His instincts are off the charts and they will help but I dont see stud when I watch his film. He'll be a decent/good NFL LB but he'll never be a star imo.
              COMING SOON...

Comment

• The King
                • Jun 2004

2nd or 3rd is over drafting and its because he doesnt have the range to be the same LB he was in the ACC in the NFL. He is slow speed wise and will struggle to get to the spot. His instincts are off the charts and they will help but I dont see stud when I watch his film. He'll be a decent/good NFL LB but he'll never be a star imo.
                You dont always need a star... you need a guy who can be productive and fill a need for a long time.

I would much rather draft 4 solid guys who can contribute week in and week out. Then take 5 chances on potential stars and have one pan out.
                Last edited by The King; 02-16-2011, 09:15 AM.
                I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                It was all
                true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

I think he is comparable to Barrett Ruud. That is the kind of player I think he can be, which is pretty good.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
                    I think he is comparable to Barrett Ruud. That is the kind of player I think he can be, which is pretty good.
                    Dont see it, Ruud was far better at weaving through traffic than Herzlich who was stonger than Rudd (pre-cancer). Herzlich wasn't the same player this year and the question has to be asked if he ever will be again. Hell of a story and hell of a kid, but I have lots of unanswered questions on him.
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by King Bedard
                      You dont always need a star... you need a guy who can be productive and fill a need for a long time.

I would much rather draft 4 solid guys who can contribute week in and week out. Then take 5 chances on potential stars and have one pan out.
                      But that's what the Bills are now, they are a bunch of guys who can fill-in and be decent for a long period of time. We lack star talent, and there isn't a team in the league that gets by without have at least 2-3 stars.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• The King
                        • Jun 2004

But that's what the Bills are now, they are a bunch of guys who can fill-in and be decent for a long period of time. We lack star talent, and there isn't a team in the league that gets by without have at least 2-3 stars.
                        I disagree, we has situational players at best.
                        It was all

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

I disagree, we has situational players at best.
                          Ill agree with that but you cant argue the need for a team to have star players. They won't win anything without them.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                            Unreachable Douche
                            • Jul 2002

Spiller
                            Maybin
                            McFumbles
                            Lynch
                            Whitner
                            Evans
                            Losman
                            McGahee
                            Williams
                            Clements
                            Flowers
                            Winfield
                            Smith
                            Moulds

The Bills are 1 out of 14 hitting stars with their first pick. The 1 star is either Evans, Clements, Winfield or Moulds. Not sure which one.

Comment

• The King
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                              Spiller
                              Maybin
                              McFumbles
                              Lynch
                              Whitner
                              Evans
                              Losman
                              McGahee
                              Williams
                              Clements
                              Flowers
                              Winfield
                              Smith
                              Moulds

The Bills are 1 out of 14 hitting stars with their first pick. The 1 star is either Evans, Clements, Winfield or Moulds. Not sure which one.
                              This is exactly my point... I feel like the are constantly reaching for the next big thing. Never drafting safely, I dont want to hear about upside or potential. Draft a guy who can play football now, Maybin over Orakpo ******ed (even then it was the Bills wanted flashy). Look into ACC players less flashy more productive.
                              It was all

Comment

Working...
                              X