PDA

View Full Version : The King's Draft Wish list...

The King
02-16-2011, 07:20 AM
I know less than most about the 2011 draft class, but that’s not going to stop me from picking the players I like and telling you why I want to see them suit up as a Buffalo Bill.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Before I get going allow me to say that I really hate Buffalo’s approach to the draft, we force our hand far too often by letting players walk and creating holes we have no fix for.<o:p></o:p>
This basically forces us to draft for our holes and never gives us a chance to get ahead and develop players. Forget BPA when you consistently have to fill gaps just to play on Sundays. That being said you’ll see my strategy below is about stabilizing the core of this team.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I'll give 2 picks per spot.<o:p></o:p>
1st round: Nick Fairley DT(Auburn) or Daquan Bowers DE(Clemson)... Our offense has shown the ability to get things done even though as a whole it's inconsistent. We're weaker on defense and both these players can make an immediate impact.<o:p></o:p>
2nd round: Danny Watkins G(Baylor). If Watkins falls, which is iffy, he may finally be able to put an end to the revolving door the Bills have on the O-Line, having four building blocks will hopefully put an end to the turnstile nightmare that has been our O-line. <o:p></o:p>
What's Not to love about Mark Herzlich OLB(BC)? I have heard a plenty about what people say he lacks. But this kids drive and passion for the game make him a player I want to see in Buffalo. Will he be a 5-time pro-bowler? Probably not but will he add consistency to a weak position in our line-up? Absolutely.<o:p></o:p>
3rd round: Chimdi Chekwa CB(Ohio State). With McKelvins football intelligence and Terrence McGee's toughness this is position we need to bolster down... Florence makes for a solid nickel but I can see both our starters elsewhere in 2012 a guy like Chekwa could help us through that transition. (Man I miss Jabari Greer). <o:p></o:p>
DJ Williams TE (Arkansas) the Bills haven't had a TE threat since Jay Riermersma, Williams has been a consistent receiving threat, and could possibly work as an H-Back.<o:p></o:p>
4th round: Casey Matthews ILB(Oregon). I am jumping on the Matthews DNA bandwagon. Casey isn't the 3rd coming of Clay Matthews Sr. but he plays with the same tenacity, he's the type of player you love to root for, crazy hair flying around the field, I dont care if he's a situational player, this is the type of guy who makes watching football fun. The fourth round may be a reach, but it's one worth taking. <o:p></o:p>
Jeron Johnson SS(Boise State), I love Bryan Scott, I'm comfortable with him being the guy at SS, but that doesn’t mean we can ignore Whitners departure. Jeron has that compact SS build I like to see, he also has a bit of a mean streak in him (look at his hit on Russell Hill).<o:p></o:p>

DraftBoy
02-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Everybody below the 1st round you're reaching badly for.

Watkins is a 26 yr old rookie, Chekwa has horrific consistency issues and while physically talented needs a ton of technique work, Herzlich we've gone and over and I think you overvalue him.

Williams makes some sense and would be a fit but he's basically Shawn Nelson 2.0, with a better work ethic we hope.

Casey Matthews is a poor poor poor version of his brother, and while Jeron Johnson has nice size and speed, Im not sold on his tackling technique in the open field or coverage skills.

jamze132
02-16-2011, 07:50 AM

Watkins is a 26 yr old rookie, Chekwa has horrific consistency issues and while physically talented needs a ton of technique work, Herzlich we've gone and over and I think you overvalue him.

Williams makes some sense and would be a fit but he's basically Shawn Nelson 2.0, with a better work ethic we hope.

Casey Matthews is a poor poor poor version of his brother, and while Jeron Johnson has nice size and speed, Im not sold on his tackling technique in the open field or coverage skills.
Well **** man, who would you draft...

k-oneputt
02-16-2011, 07:55 AM
I like Chekwa, but not in the 3rd rd. This team has to use those first three picks on linemen or a qb.

Ickybaluky
02-16-2011, 08:47 AM
I think Mark Herzlich is going to be a heck of a pro and somebody is going to get a steal. Some team will pick him in the 2nd or 3rd and the draftniks will say he was overdrafted, but they are wrong.

People forget he was ACC Defensive Player of the Year before his cancer hit. He returned last season but he didn't have his legs. He needs more time, but he will improve physically to the player he was before.

However, the thing that is going to make him a good pro are his size and instincts. He is a tall, thick ILB with great instincts. Those instincts are what make him ACC DPOY and they haven't abandoned him. Cancer is a terrible disease, and he is still getting his strength back (especially in his legs), but the arrow is up on the kid.

He is a big, tough, fearless ILB with great instincts and an outstanding attitude. He is going to be a tremendous pro, and some team will recognize that and value it come draft day.

DraftBoy
02-16-2011, 08:48 AM
Well **** man, who would you draft...

Working on that now! :up:

I finally have the freedom to do that, which is why I havent posted a mock all year long.

DraftBoy
02-16-2011, 08:50 AM
I think Mark Herzlich is going to be a heck of a pro and somebody is going to get a steal. Some team will pick him in the 2nd or 3rd and the draftniks will say he was overdrafted, but they are wrong.

People forget he was ACC Defensive Player of the Year before his cancer hit. He returned last season but he didn't have his legs. He needs more time, but he will improve physically to the player he was before.

However, the thing that is going to make him a good pro are his size and instincts. He is a tall, thick ILB with great instincts. Those instincts are what make him ACC DPOY and they haven't abandoned him. Cancer is a terrible disease, and he is still getting his strength back (especially in his legs), but the arrow is up on the kid.

He is a big, tough, fearless ILB with great instincts and an outstanding attitude. He is going to be a tremendous pro, and some team will recognize that and value it come draft day.

2nd or 3rd is over drafting and its because he doesnt have the range to be the same LB he was in the ACC in the NFL. He is slow speed wise and will struggle to get to the spot. His instincts are off the charts and they will help but I dont see stud when I watch his film. He'll be a decent/good NFL LB but he'll never be a star imo.

The King
02-16-2011, 09:14 AM
2nd or 3rd is over drafting and its because he doesnt have the range to be the same LB he was in the ACC in the NFL. He is slow speed wise and will struggle to get to the spot. His instincts are off the charts and they will help but I dont see stud when I watch his film. He'll be a decent/good NFL LB but he'll never be a star imo.

You dont always need a star... you need a guy who can be productive and fill a need for a long time.

I would much rather draft 4 solid guys who can contribute week in and week out. Then take 5 chances on potential stars and have one pan out.

Ickybaluky
02-16-2011, 09:33 AM

I think he is comparable to Barrett Ruud. That is the kind of player I think he can be, which is pretty good.

DraftBoy
02-16-2011, 11:01 AM
I think he is comparable to Barrett Ruud. That is the kind of player I think he can be, which is pretty good.

Dont see it, Ruud was far better at weaving through traffic than Herzlich who was stonger than Rudd (pre-cancer). Herzlich wasn't the same player this year and the question has to be asked if he ever will be again. Hell of a story and hell of a kid, but I have lots of unanswered questions on him.

DraftBoy
02-16-2011, 11:02 AM
You dont always need a star... you need a guy who can be productive and fill a need for a long time.

I would much rather draft 4 solid guys who can contribute week in and week out. Then take 5 chances on potential stars and have one pan out.

But that's what the Bills are now, they are a bunch of guys who can fill-in and be decent for a long period of time. We lack star talent, and there isn't a team in the league that gets by without have at least 2-3 stars.

The King
02-16-2011, 11:05 AM
But that's what the Bills are now, they are a bunch of guys who can fill-in and be decent for a long period of time. We lack star talent, and there isn't a team in the league that gets by without have at least 2-3 stars.

I disagree, we has situational players at best.

DraftBoy
02-16-2011, 11:11 AM
I disagree, we has situational players at best.

Ill agree with that but you cant argue the need for a team to have star players. They won't win anything without them.

TacklingDummy
02-16-2011, 11:12 AM

Spiller
Maybin
McFumbles
Lynch
Whitner
Evans
Losman
McGahee
Williams
Clements
Flowers
Winfield
Smith
Moulds

The Bills are 1 out of 14 hitting stars with their first pick. The 1 star is either Evans, Clements, Winfield or Moulds. Not sure which one.

The King
02-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Spiller
Maybin
McFumbles
Lynch
Whitner
Evans
Losman
McGahee
Williams
Clements
Flowers
Winfield
Smith
Moulds

The Bills are 1 out of 14 hitting stars with their first pick. The 1 star is either Evans, Clements, Winfield or Moulds. Not sure which one.

This is exactly my point... I feel like the are constantly reaching for the next big thing. Never drafting safely, I dont want to hear about upside or potential. Draft a guy who can play football now, Maybin over Orakpo ******ed (even then it was the Bills wanted flashy). Look into ACC players less flashy more productive.

alohabillsfan
02-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Your not always gonna get "stars"... f*#k... Draft football players, like Herzlich, instead of fast LB's like Maybin that cant play football. Anyone sitting there watching the combine on tv and making player evaluations needs therapy.

WE NEED FOOTBALL PLAYERS, not fast guys in shorts...

TacklingDummy
02-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Your not always gonna get "stars"... f*#k...
1 star out of the last 14 1st round picks is not asking for much. Evans, Clements, Moulds, and Winfield were good players, I wouldn't consider them stars though.

Slim
02-16-2011, 05:33 PM
1 star out of the last 14 1st round picks is not asking for much. Evans, Clements, Moulds, and Winfield were good players, I wouldn't consider them stars though.

Eric Moulds is one the most talented wide receivers I have ever seen. The dude was the best WR in the NFL for two seasons. His career was obviously hindered by bad QB play. The dude was a freaking star. Ruben Brown called Eric Moulds the most talented player he's ever played with.

TacklingDummy
02-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Eric Moulds is one the most talented wide receivers I have ever seen. The dude was the best WR in the NFL for two seasons. His career was obviously hindered by bad QB play. The dude was a freaking star. Ruben Brown called Eric Moulds the most talented player he's ever played with.

Yet he never led the league in any receiving stat.,only had four 1000 yard seasons, and one season with 10 Tds.

IMO, Good player? Yes. Star player? No.
That doesn't mean your opinion is wrong, nor is mine.

Slim
02-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Yet he never led the league in any receiving stat.,only had four 1000 yard seasons, and one season with 10 Tds.

You could say the same thing about about Andre Reed, and Reed played with Jimbo for practically his whole career. Eric went All-Pro twice, like Andre. And the one time Eric went to the playoff's with a Bill's QB he put together one the best post-season receiving performance in NFL history. Oh, and he had his own TV show on Empire. Eric was a big deal.

TacklingDummy
02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
You could say the same thing about about Andre Reed, and Reed played with Jimbo for practically his whole career. Eric went All-Pro twice, like Andre.Agreed. I might be in the minority but I don't consider Reed a superstar either. I am not shocked he didn't get in the HOF.

Extremebillsfan247
02-16-2011, 07:24 PM

Casey Matthews is a poor poor poor version of his brother, and while Jeron Johnson has nice size and speed, Im not sold on his tackling technique in the open field or coverage skills.eh' it's a wish list, a little different than a draft prediction. lol Not everything needs to be overly scrutinized. JMO

k-oneputt
03-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Chekwa just tore up his 40 at the combine. 4.33.

alohabillsfan
03-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Again, take guys that have proven in college they can, rush the passer, clog a hole, make a tackle or cover someone, I can give 2 *****s if he can run faster that the speed of light in shorts.

k-oneputt
03-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Again, take guys that have proven in college they can, rush the passes, clog a hole, make a takle or cover someone, I can give 2 *****s if he can run faster that the speed of light in shorts.

Guess you never watch Ohio St. play then.

Jan Reimers
03-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Again, take guys that have proven in college they can, rush the passes, clog a hole, make a takle or cover someone, I can give 2 *****s if he can run faster that the speed of light in shorts.
I think guys like Aaron Maybin and Erik Flowers prove your point. It is very dangerous to take One Year Wonders or Workout Warriors.

alohabillsfan
03-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Guess you never watch Ohio St. play then.

No I prefer to watch the highest level of college football= SEC football.

k-oneputt
03-01-2011, 10:10 AM
No I prefer to watch the highest level of college football= SEC football.

Oh yeah, me too. What a coincidence.

But sometimes the Big 10 is the only game in town.

Ickybaluky
03-11-2011, 08:41 AM
This is an old thread, but I read this today from Brian Billick and it expresses exactly how I feel about Herzlich (http://wnst.net/wordpress/brianbillick/2011/03/11/bcs-mark-herzlich-could-be-a-steal/):

By this time, most of you have heard the wonderful story of Mark Herzlich and his tremendous overcoming of cancer. What you may not remember is the dominating season he had in 2008. Just listen to this stat line…110 tackles (13 for loss), 3 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 6 interceptions, 2 defensive touchdowns, and a partridge in a pear tree.

A you can imagine from the above statistics, Mark shows an ability to read his keys and process his responsibility quickly. Similarly, he reads run and differentiates play action fakes and regularly puts himself in the right position on the field. From an athletic perspective, he stays balanced and shows great footwork, especially in his pass coverage, ready to break in any direction as the ball is released.

At the combine, Herzlich measured in at 6′4, 244 lbs. He competed 29 reps on the bench and ran a 4.96 40-yard dash. While some may raise concern on his lack of overall speed, I believe that his elite instincts and rare effort more than make up for it. After being considered by many as a top 10 pick after his 2008 season, Mark won’t even be drafted in the first two days this year, but he will give you his full effort on every single play. I wouldn’t be surprised if we look back and consider him to be the steal of the 2011 draft.

People completely forget how good the kid was before the cancer struck. He was the god damn ACC Defensive Player of the Year. That isn't some schlupp conference, he was the best defensive player in the ACC in 2008! The ACC!

He returned, but he really didn't get a chance to build himself back up to the way he was prior to cancer. He is still getting his strength back, particularly in his legs. He is cancer free, and will recover more physically as time goes by. However, you can't teach what the kid has, which is great instincts to play football. He is a football player, and that is how he should be judged.

Herzlich is going to be a steal for someone. I think someone will overlook his sub-par timed speed and "overdraft" him. I still think he goes higher than people expect, and they will get criticized for it. I hope it is the Patriots.

Ginger Vitis
03-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Gotta agree with DB I don't want the Bills using the #34 pick on a 26 year old guard.. If Herzlich had played for another college outside of Boston I would take Bedards and Icky baluckys opinion of him with less of a grain of salt

Bert102176
03-12-2011, 03:03 AM

AND that was all due to the crappy OL guys and QB's we had

Bert102176
03-12-2011, 03:25 AM
the Bills have drafted some really good players but don't resign them look how winfield has been in Minny, and pat Williams even though pat wasn't drafted, ron Edwards has done a good job in KC, Nate Clements in SF, travis henry was good while he was here, jim leonard and there have been others .