PDA

View Full Version : Stroud released

hydro
02-16-2011, 10:46 AM
As per PFT's tweet:

The Bills have released Marcus Stroud, per league source.

Blame Canada
02-16-2011, 10:48 AM
it's true

hydro
02-16-2011, 10:49 AM
it's true

Beat you this time BC :D

OpIv37
02-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Good riddance.

I liked the guy when we first got him, but age has caught up with him. He's been brutal the last two years. And he doesn't really fit the 3-4.

Mad Bomber
02-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Confirmed on Vtext.

Pinkerton Security
02-16-2011, 10:58 AM
hmm...not that surprised, hes getting old and we have some guys who i think can do his job, namely Carrington.

mrbojanglezs
02-16-2011, 10:59 AM
ya no longer a rumor got the official text from the bills...

bf1
02-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Another hole to fill.

Forward_Lateral
02-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Another hole to fill.

Not Really. Carrington can fill that hole instantly.

DraftBoy
02-16-2011, 11:03 AM
DE was always a hole, but the timing of this move is a little odd.

Not a big deal, but I think its going to change a lot of mocks away from the Von Miller pick.

madness
02-16-2011, 11:03 AM

I agree, Carrington started coming on toward the end of the year. I think the staff already has him penciled in as Stroud's replacement.

OpIv37
02-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Another hole to fill.

It was a hole last year even with Stroud. This changes nothing.

justasportsfan
02-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Cameron Jordan

TacklingDummy
02-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Wasn't a Stroud fan. Goodbye. Hopefully Maybin is next.

Dr. Lecter
02-16-2011, 11:06 AM

Not a big deal, but I think its going to change a lot of mocks away from the Von Miller pick.
The timing is likely due to a roster bonus due shortly. Nothing odd about it at all.

streetkings01
02-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Waiting for Keith Ellison to be released next.

dannyek71
02-16-2011, 11:08 AM

And your basing this on what? That he was a 3rd round pick?

wmoz11
02-16-2011, 11:10 AM
I think this shows that the FO likes what Carrington did late in the year, though we'll definitely be looking at that position hard this offseason.

DraftBoy
The timing is likely due to a roster bonus due shortly. Nothing odd about it at all.

Maybe, there is alternative theory about owners cutting veterans as a negotiating ploy in the new CBA, but its more Patti level of truth for now.

I dont think that's the case, I think you're closer to being right.

streetkings01
And your basing this on what? That he was a 3rd round pick?Probably from the comments that Buddy and Chan made about him after the season was over.

Dr. Lecter
02-16-2011, 11:11 AM
I base it on the fact that Stroud did nothing last year and Carrington can, at very least, do nothing next year.

Jan Reimers
02-16-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm glad to see the house cleaning continue. Stroud was old, expensive and not a good fit in our scheme.

This will not be the last of our offseason moves.

Ebenezer
02-16-2011, 11:13 AM
If Carrington was so ready to play then why didn't we see more of him last year?

That being said, Stroud was cut because of money, pure and simple.

ddaryl
02-16-2011, 11:15 AM
If Carrington was so ready to play then why didn't we see more of him last year?

because he was a rookie learning the ropes and getting better.

he did start playing a lot more as the year went on.

trapezeus
02-16-2011, 11:18 AM
This is good news. the guys in the locker room will have to step up and fill the "funniest guy in the locker room" and "best dressed". Ralph, this may require everyone gets raises!

on a serious note, stroud even knew this was coming at the end of the season. there was an article of him saying, "i'd like to stay, but i know how this works."

Michael82
02-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Nope...but I thought he improved and showed potential by the end of the season.

Night Train
02-16-2011, 11:22 AM
He's a 4-3 DT and the Bills will need to replace him.

I still see the 4-3 as the primary scheme next year.

DraftBoy
02-16-2011, 11:28 AM

If it was the primary scheme, why release him. He was functional as a 4-3 DT, but not as a 3-4 DE.

The move makes less sense if that's true.

HAMMER
02-16-2011, 11:30 AM

Wrong.

tampabay25690
02-16-2011, 11:32 AM

Bowers, Dareus, or Farley.looking good now at that spot

tampabay25690
02-16-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm glad to see the house cleaning continue. Stroud was old, expensive and not a good fit in our scheme.

This will not be the last of our offseason moves.

I agree with you....

tampabay25690
02-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Waiting for Keith Ellison to be released next.
He is a FA doesnt need to be released....

tampabay25690
02-16-2011, 11:34 AM

They will run both a 4-3 and a 3-4 but lets wait and see who is drafted and if there is a Free agency period....

Mr. Miyagi
02-16-2011, 11:35 AM
:goodpost:

justasportsfan
02-16-2011, 11:36 AM

It's not like Strouds production are hard to replace.

Extremebillsfan247
02-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Good riddance.

I liked the guy when we first got him, but age has caught up with him. He's been brutal the last two years. And he doesn't really fit the 3-4. Gotta hand it to the guy though, he worked hard and for the most part kept his mouth shut unlike another player on this team who lacked those qualities named Donte Whitner. I still like Stroud, but your right, age and playing out of his comfort zone scheme wise sealed his fate here. But, I also think money had a little bit to do with the decision to let him go. It's time for Carrington to step up and put in work. JMO

clumping platelets
02-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Clump Jersey Curse :mad:

tampabay25690
02-16-2011, 11:39 AM
It's not like Strouds production are hard to replace.

Whos gonna do the Marcus Mailbag now????????:air:

DraftBoy
02-16-2011, 11:42 AM

Been thinking that for weeks now. My latest 1st Round mock has us taking Dareus, Fairley going #1 and Bowers going right behind us.

tampabay25690
02-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Been thinking that for weeks now. My latest 1st Round mock has us taking Dareus, Fairley going #1 and Bowers going right behind us.

Getting younger up front is looking real nice.....
I can honestly say I have no idea what Carolina is going to do......

ParanoidAndroid
02-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Clump Jersey Curse :mad:

Hurry up and buy an Ellison jersey, will ya?

justasportsfan
02-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Whos gonna do the Marcus Mailbag now????????:air:

Stevie .

streetkings01
02-16-2011, 11:55 AM
He is a FA doesnt need to be released....He's not a FA until a new CBA is reached.

tampabay25690
02-16-2011, 12:03 PM
He's not a FA until a new CBA is reached.

Why release he has no contract?
He is pretty much done anyway....
NO JOB

ServoBillieves
02-16-2011, 12:06 PM

Farley? Matt Foley might be a bit of a reach...

justasportsfan
02-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Troup thanks Stroud

Bills DT Torell Troup often credited Kyle Williams in helping him with playing the nose tackle position in Buffalo’s 3-4, but there was another veteran player that passed on valuable knowledge about how to play in the NFL last year.

In speaking with Troup through the course of the season he credited Stroud with teaching him how to pick up tells from opposing offensive linemen on film as well as quarterbacks and running backs, which he felt helped him play faster.

“I was pretty good with the film, but you can always learn something if you’re in that room with the vets,” Troup told me. ”Those guys pick up formations so fast, faster than I do. So it’s always good to listen from guys like Kyle (Williams) and (Marcus) Stroud.”

That’s why Troup was quick to pass along his thanks to Stroud publicly on his twitter account Wednesday following the veteran defensive end’s release.

TorellTroup Marcus stroud is a great guy, a great teammate, and a great teacher of this game. He help me make strides during my first season……

Torell Troup I dont think i would have made it through this season without his guidance on and off the field. I thank him for all his help.

Stroud bids farewell

Former Bills DE Marcus Stroud bid Buffalo fans farewell shortly after his release from the club on Wednesday.

Here was his twitter post after being informed of his release.

marcusstroud99 Thanks for my time in Buffalo. I enjoyed it and I wish all of my boys the best. Go Bills.

Stroud was always a classy player and genuinely appreciated the second chance he got in Buffalo after he fell out of favor with the Jacksonville coaching staff. You could tell he never forgot the faith the Bills put in him to acquire him via trade.

The battle for Stroud’s spot

With Marcus Stroud no longer on Buffalo’s roster there’s a vacant starting role on the left side of the Bills defensive line. Here are the candidates currently on the roster that will be in the mix to win that spot.

Alex Carrington – The Bills 3rd-round pick in 2010 didn’t get a ton of playing time, but saw the field more in the second half of the season. Head coach Chan Gailey felt that Carrington intially played the pass better than the run when he got on the field, which he felt was to be expected in light of his pass rush success at Arkansas State. The bottom line is Gailey felt Carrington improved, and faith in his improvement is partially borne out in the release of Stroud.

Spencer Johnson – Johnson is a reliable veteran player that again spelled the injured Dwan Edwards admirably last season in the starting lineup, something he’s done in his time with the Bills before. He offers versatility as he can kick inside on passing downs and is a steady performer.

These two guys are the players that are the primary contenders now. Obviously a high draft choice or free agency acquisition (if there is free agency) can change this, and I would anticipate additions being made this offseason.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/

The Jokeman
02-16-2011, 01:16 PM

Money played a big part of the decision as was he doesn't fit the 3-4 defense and he's an aging defender who isn't the impact player he once was.

In terms of Carrington while he didn't play much he did show some good things in his brief appearances. Specifically I remember him knocking down a few passes.

clumping platelets
02-16-2011, 01:27 PM
I have a #66 and #99 just waiting for new names. Maybe our #3 overall could wear #99? :nod:

kingJofNYC
02-16-2011, 01:28 PM

He also sucked ass, dude is washed up.

Glad they made this move. Couldn't stand the site of him.

The Jokeman
02-16-2011, 01:31 PM
I have a #66 and #99 just waiting for new names. Maybe our #3 overall could wear #99? :nod:
I think the NFL prohibits CBs from wearing numbers in the 90s so it's highly unlikely.

BillsFanCupp38
02-16-2011, 03:01 PM
One down and more to go... Im hoping poz, evans, whitner... did I forget anyone? Oh yeah Kelsay sucks too!

dasaybz
02-16-2011, 05:04 PM

You honestly think that releasing a marginal player like Marcus Stroud will completely change the way mock drafts are being approached? I think you are giving Stroud a little too much credit here.

Thief
02-16-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't think Money was the main issue, but it may have been a deciding factor to do it now.

Either way, Stroud was a selfless class act. I wish him luck on his next endevor.

Beebe's Kid
02-16-2011, 07:48 PM

I've been keeping this a secret...but the time has come to share...we didn't see a lot of any of the rookies last year. I am sure that many have quit reading to reply "Because they suck," but I will go out on limb that it was more for their benefit.

I will guess that Chan will handle rookies the same way every year, which obviously will go over well with the patient fan base. He is a selfish bastard, and he owes it to the fans to rush these kids to the field, so we can keep *****ing that our picks don't work out.

I really don't know what people asking why we would think Carrington is going to be a part of this team were watching. He played well at the end of the year. He is a physical specimen, and showed a lot of promise.

I guess that you can't watch every player on every play, and if you are focusing in on one guy so you can catch the play that allows for the ultra witty "McToast" post, or the mandatory Whitner bashing, you wouldn't have time to see any thing positive from the other guys.

YardRat
02-16-2011, 08:14 PM
McCargo outlasted Stroud. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

BertSquirtgum
02-16-2011, 10:17 PM
McCargo outlasted Stroud. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

it blows my mind when i sit and wonder.......why the **** is this waste still on the Bills' roster.