PDA

View Full Version : Forked Thread: Ralph Wilson faces labor battles head on

X-Era
02-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Forked from: Ralph Wilson faces labor battles head on (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3418183)

Good article, interview with Ralph Wilson

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2011/02/17/ralph-wilson-faces-labor-battles-head-on/

Interesting comments on the QB situation

RW: I think it will take two or three years to have a playoff team -- and that's if we get a quarterback.''

And here is what Wilson had to say about speculation that the Bills will select Auburn quarterback Cam Newton with the draft's No. 3 pick:

"Well, he's very athletic. But it's the intangibles. We've had a number of quarterbacks that could throw the ball 100 yards and right into your stomach. But then they got into games and threw it 100 yards into the other team's stomach. There's time. We'll learn more about him. Just like with this labor agreement, you just can't predict.''

WHAT ABOUT FITZFRANCHISE????????????????????????????????????????????/He's the face of the franchise... must be that the owner of the franchise didn't get the memo.

More fuel that the Bills are serious about a QB, maybe even at 3.

Beebe's Kid
02-17-2011, 02:00 PM
He's the face of the franchise... must be that the owner of the franchise didn't get the memo.

They must have heard the drums.

This is all but a guarantee. What ever is said by owners and GM's leading up to the draft can be taken straight to the bank...they owe it to the fans.

What we need now is a thread about that specific comment, because it seems to have gotten lost in all of that CBA talk, and a subsequent thread about D-lineman.

X-Era
02-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Done.

Bill Cody
02-17-2011, 03:40 PM
For the record no NFL QB in the history of the league could throw the ball 100 yards.

Extremebillsfan247
02-17-2011, 04:02 PM
For the record no NFL QB in the history of the league could throw the ball 100 yards. Randall Cunningham came close. lol

Bill Cody
02-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Randall Cunningham came close. lol

Yeah I think Randall could chuck it like 85 yards.

Slim
02-17-2011, 04:20 PM
For the record no NFL QB in the history of the league could throw the ball 100 yards.

Chad Pennington disagrees.

Bill Cody
02-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Chad Pennington disagrees.

I said yards not feet.

Extremebillsfan247
02-17-2011, 04:32 PM
I said yards not feet. :10: lol my vote for post of the day...

Commissioner
02-17-2011, 06:20 PM
I think Ralph is pushing for a QB this draft. He made a similar comment at the end of last season.

I think he's sick of the QB carousel.

psubills62
02-17-2011, 06:24 PM
I think Ralph is pushing for a QB this draft. He made a similar comment at the end of last season.

I think he's sick of the QB carousel.

I would be utterly shocked if we didn't choose a QB in the draft. I would also be very surprised if they drafted a QB at #3.

TacklingDummy
02-17-2011, 07:02 PM
"Well, he's very athletic. But it's the intangibles. We've had a number of quarterbacks that could throw the ball 100 yards and right into your stomach. But then they got into games and threw it 100 yards into the other team's stomach.

So another words Newton reminds him of JP and RJ and he doesn't want another JP/RJ. Can't blame him.

Nice to see Ralph share the same opinion as I do about it taking a couple more years.

TacklingDummy
02-17-2011, 07:03 PM
I think Ralph is pushing for a QB this draft. I don't think he is.

Nighthawk
02-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Forked from: Ralph Wilson faces labor battles head on (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?postid=3418183)

He's the face of the franchise... must be that the owner of the franchise didn't get the memo.

As they should be...

Nighthawk
02-17-2011, 07:22 PM
So another words Newton reminds him of JP and RJ and he doesn't want another JP/RJ. Can't blame him.

Nice to see Ralph share the same opinion as I do about it taking a couple more years.

No, what he said was the intangibles and Newton brings more of them then JP or RJ did. He was actually saying that's what's interesting about Newton. IMO

YardRat
02-17-2011, 07:51 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=200538

Still have 140k-plus to commit if anybody is interested.

C'mon NewtonEra...throw some bucks down...

Philagape
02-17-2011, 08:06 PM
"But it's the intangibles."

I think he's saying it's the intangibles that matter most for a QB, not physical feats, and he knows this well because Buffalo's had good athletes who failed. It wasn't an opinion on Newton either way.

And the old man is right this time.

Michael82
02-17-2011, 08:20 PM
I can see it now....with the 3rd pick of the 2011 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select................

http://www.vikingsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Blaine-Gabbert.jpg
QB Blaine Gabbert - Missouri

Michael82
02-17-2011, 08:21 PM
He just has to change his jersey number because Roscoe has it, plus...I don't want another #11 at QB. :ill:

better days
02-17-2011, 08:59 PM
I can see it now....with the 3rd pick of the 2011 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select................

http://www.vikingsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Blaine-Gabbert.jpg
QB Blaine Gabbert - Missouri

If they can pick him up in the 2nd, I would not be surprised at all if they take him, but I doubt at #3.

Figster
02-17-2011, 08:59 PM

The way I see it is RW/Buffalo Bills are in the process of studying the intangible side of Cam Newton now and Its going to be real hard not to like this Auburn Tiger Signal caller. Cams got Superstar written all over him in my opinion, Under Armour knows it and the majority of the football world already knows it.

The ones that don't are going to find out...

TacklingDummy
02-17-2011, 09:00 PM
He just has to change his jersey number because Roscoe has it,
For now.

TacklingDummy
02-17-2011, 09:04 PM
The way I see it is RW/Buffalo Bills are in the process of studying the intangible side of Cam Newton now and Its going to be real hard not to like this Auburn Tiger Signal caller. Cams got Superstar written all over him in my opinion, Under Armour knows it and the majority of the football world already knows it.

I wouldn't be upset with Newton.
I just think the D needs more help than the O.
Fitz can hold the fort for another year and if he stinks then the Bills draft Luck next year.
What if the Bills pick Newton, suck, get the 1st pick anyways, do they draft Luck having Newton on the roster?

Figster
02-17-2011, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't be upset with Newton.
I just think the D needs more help than the O.
Fitz can hold the fort for another year and if he stinks then the Bills draft Luck next year.
What if the Bills pick Newton, suck, get the 1st pick anyways, do they draft Luck having Newton on the roster?

Myself personally, Fitz would probably be the starter for most if not all of next season with Cam helping out on 3rd downs or in the wildcat. So I see more 1st downs and points on the scoreboard. More wins also, so its just not happening in my opinion.

Andrew Luck I mean...

Note: The D does need more help from a team perspective, but a chance at a franchise QB doesn't happen very often and If we think he's there we have to go for it in my opinion.

Philagape
02-17-2011, 09:13 PM

The ones that don't are going to find out...

Cecil, is that you?

TacklingDummy
02-17-2011, 09:18 PM
So I see more 1st downs and points on the scoreboard. More wins also, so its just not happening in my opinion.

Based on the past decade I'll stick to the opinion that they won't be any good again next year. Hope I am wrong.

Figster
02-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Based on the past decade I'll stick to the opinion that they won't be any good again next year. Hope I am wrong.

We're real good at making middle of the pack my friend. Plus, we finally have a HC that appears to know what the hell he's doing,

I like this Chan Gailey fella a lot.

Figster
02-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Cecil, is that you?

lol, I wish Cam was a son of mine

Turf
02-17-2011, 10:30 PM
After watching Cam in that championship game, I don't see intangibles. He'll get destroyed in Buffalo. He may be around in the 2nd round. Linemen and linebackers. Nothing else.

Michael82
02-17-2011, 10:59 PM
If they can pick him up in the 2nd, I would not be surprised at all if they take him, but I doubt at #3.

No chance in hell for Gabbert to still be there in the 2nd round. A lot of people consider him the best QB in the draft. The Bills have to take him at #3, trade down, or move back into the 1st with their 2nd rounder and several other picks.

better days
02-17-2011, 11:55 PM
No chance in hell for Gabbert to still be there in the 2nd round. A lot of people consider him the best QB in the draft. The Bills have to take him at #3, trade down, or move back into the 1st with their 2nd rounder and several other picks.

Yeah, you are most likely right. If the Bills want a QB hopefully they can trade down a little. I don't feel good about any QB prospect with the #3 pick

X-Era
02-18-2011, 05:18 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=200538

Still have 140k-plus to commit if anybody is interested.

C'mon NewtonEra...throw some bucks down...Hell no. We could easily go another direction. Just wait until were closer to the draft... then I might take the bet.

Besides, just because I've argued for Newton doesn't mean he's my top QB. Gabbert could be the guy.

X-Era
02-18-2011, 05:20 AM
No chance in hell for Gabbert to still be there in the 2nd round. A lot of people consider him the best QB in the draft. The Bills have to take him at #3, trade down, or move back into the 1st with their 2nd rounder and several other picks.Gabbert is my top QB, but everyone knows I'm a fan.

YardRat
02-18-2011, 05:33 AM
Hell no. We could easily go another direction. Just wait until were closer to the draft... then I might take the bet.

Besides, just because I've argued for Newton doesn't mean he's my top QB. Gabbert could be the guy.

I'll modify the bet for you...We won't take any QB at #3, period.

YardRat
02-18-2011, 05:34 AM
BTW...Neither Newton nor Gabbert will be on the board when we pick in the second round, they'll both be gone by then.

X-Era
02-18-2011, 05:53 AM
I'll modify the bet for you...We won't take any QB at #3, period.I'm not convinced that any QB is worthy of the #3 pick yet. I will make up my mind much closer to the draft. At that point, if I think a QB is worth the #3 pick, I will make the bet.

trapezeus
02-18-2011, 08:23 AM
ralph strikes me as the impatient President of the USA in a bruckheimer film and we are hoping that there is a level headed chief of staff in Nix that keeps him on the right path.

Do we need a better QB? Yes
Do we need to reach? No
If we build a decent defense up this year would that help a young QB who may not be an allstar learn quicker? Yes.
If we take a qb on impulse again because we need one could we be getting losman again? Of course.

So that being said, and take the best defensive lineman available.

Figster
02-18-2011, 08:57 AM

I don't know Mike, indications are Blaine Gabbert's stock is falling.

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/missouri-tigers/2011/2/11/1988621/2011-nfl-draft-blaine-gabbert-combine

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/missouri-tigers/2011/1/29/1963371/2011-nfl-mock-draft-accuracy-in-question-for-qb-blaine-gabbert

Comparing Gabberts 16 TD's to 9 INT's and Cam's 30 TD's and 6 INT's, Newton appears to be the more accurate signal caller.

Add Newton's rushing skills to the equation(1500 yards and 20 TD's) and I find it hard to believe anybody would consider Gabbert the better choice.

I respect your opinion Mike, besides being a fan do you mind If I ask why you would choose Gabbert over Newton?

Michael82
02-18-2011, 09:49 AM
I don't know Mike, indications are Blaine Gabbert's stock is falling.

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/missouri-tigers/2011/2/11/1988621/2011-nfl-draft-blaine-gabbert-combine

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/missouri-tigers/2011/1/29/1963371/2011-nfl-mock-draft-accuracy-in-question-for-qb-blaine-gabbert

Comparing Gabberts 16 TD's to 9 INT's and Cam's 30 TD's and 6 INT's, Newton appears to be the more accurate signal caller.

Add Newton's rushing skills to the equation(1500 yards and 20 TD's) and I find it hard to believe anybody would consider Gabbert the better choice.

I respect your opinion Mike, besides being a fan do you mind If I ask why you would choose Gabbert over Newton?

Gabbert just seems more NFL ready IMO. Newton shows the most potential out of them, but he's more raw right now.

psubills62
02-18-2011, 09:57 AM
I don't think I'd be horribly surprised if Gabbert was available in the 2nd round.

Figster
02-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Gabbert just seems more NFL ready IMO. Newton shows the most potential out of them, but he's more raw right now.

In all fairness Danario Alexander was Gabberts favorite target the season before last and had they stayed together Gabberts numbers would probably be much better.

We were just talking about Alexander on another forum, how the kid goes undrafted is beyond me.

Commissioner
02-18-2011, 10:28 AM
I'll bet all my zone bucks the Bills take either Newton or Gabbert at #3.

I really believe Ralph has told Nix and Gailey to find a QB....

He said we are 2-3 years away from being a playoff team... IF WE FIND A QB.

So if we don't find a QB this year.... then we are not going to the playoffs in 2-3 years?

How many years does Ralph have left?

Michael82
02-18-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't think I'd be horribly surprised if Gabbert was available in the 2nd round.

I'd be shocked! Then I would scoop him up immediately!

Figster
02-18-2011, 10:37 AM
I'd be shocked! Then I would scoop him up immediately!

To many teams looking for signal callers, Gabbert and Newton will both go top ten in my opinion.

I don't even think Mallet makes it to the 2nd round.

psubills62
02-18-2011, 10:39 AM
There were a lot of teams looking for QB's last year, too. Clausen still dropped.

And no, I'm not comparing them as prospects. I just think that, while QB's are often overdrafted, it's become such common practice to assume they'll be overdrafted that we're shocked when they're not.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gabbert went in the first round, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he dropped to the 2nd.

Figster
02-18-2011, 10:40 AM
There were a lot of teams looking for QB's last year, too. Clausen still dropped.

And no, I'm not comparing them as prospects. I just think that, while QB's are often overdrafted, it's become such common practice to assume they'll be overdrafted that we're shocked when they're not.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gabbert went in the first round, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he dropped to the 2nd.

Anythings possible

justasportsfan
02-18-2011, 10:54 AM
I am almost sure that the bills are preparing to find a replacement FRANCHISE qb for Fitz at some point whether it's in a year or two. Not just another stop gap mediocre qb. NIx has made it clear they want a qb who will be the qb for the next 10 years.