PDA

View Full Version : Bills must rectify past draft failures to return to relevance

Jeff1220
02-18-2011, 10:36 AM
However, there were parts of what they did during an otherwise forgettable 4-12 campaign that indicated they might very well be taking meaningful steps toward an escape from the familiar frustration of the past decade.
The bottom line on the Buffalo Bills' 2010 season was that it was more of the same.

Now, it is 11 consecutive years that the Bills have missed the playoffs.

One is that the Bills' offense showed signs of being more explosive, even if it did finish in the NFL's bottom eight in total yards for the eighth season in a row. In his first year as Buffalo's coach, Chan Gailey demonstrated that he has the know-how to get more from the Bills' offensive talent than his recent predecessors. Ryan Fitzpatrick showed that he can, at the very least, be a solid quarterback and occasionally much more than that. The emergence of multiple playmakers transformed the receiving corps from an area of weakness to one of impressive depth.

In addition, the Bills' most encouraging move of the offseason so far is adding considerable coaching experience with the hiring of Dave Wannstedt as assistant head coach and inside linebackers coach. His presence figures to provide the Bills help where they need it most: On defense.

Here's a look at some of the team's key offseason issues:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e5c79f/article/bills-must-rectify-past-draft-failures-to-return-to-relevance

Ickybaluky
02-18-2011, 11:45 AM
I guess we figured out who Captain Obvious is.

Extremebillsfan247
02-18-2011, 11:51 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e5c79f/article/bills-must-rectify-past-draft-failures-to-return-to-relevance lol well, I think its pretty safe to say this draft wont make it easy on them. There's an awful lot of underclassmen circling the ranks this year. You ever eat an unripe tomato? blah...

ddaryl
02-18-2011, 11:53 AM
do ya think Vic ?

psubills62
02-18-2011, 12:02 PM
:shocked:

Mr. Pink
02-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Vic Carucci - rocket scientist.

Saratoga Slim
02-18-2011, 12:19 PM
I guess we figured out who Captain Obvious is.

And yet he's one of the few national commentators that doesn't put LT as a glaring hole, etc..

this piece isn't news to anyone here, but it's finally an accurate summary for those that don't follow the Bills as closely as we do.

trapezeus
02-18-2011, 12:34 PM
exactly SS, this is a national guy who is telling it like it is when you have people who report on basically 2-3 year old news.

I always liked Vic's writing.

PTI
02-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Fitz was the worst starting QB in the NFL in the 2nd half of the season, I am not sure it was even close too, he was downright awful. He got worse as the season went on, and he proved when he had to do too much he was not very capable of it. How in the world do writers not bring up how pathetic Fitz was as the season went on?

psubills62
02-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Fitz was the worst starting QB in the NFL in the 2nd half of the season, I am not sure it was even close too, he was downright awful. He got worse as the season went on, and he proved when he had to do too much he was not very capable of it. How in the world do writers not bring up how pathetic Fitz was as the season went on?

Well, it did coincide with our using solely UDFA's and 7th-round picks as our starting WR corps.

PTI
02-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Well, it did coincide with our using solely UDFA's and 7th-round picks as our starting WR corps.

These people all get paid to play regardless. It wasn't that the whole time. You either have to say Fitz sucks or the people in charge like Nix and Gailey suck then for being in that situation, all teams have injuries.

psubills62
02-18-2011, 12:48 PM
These people all get paid to play regardless. It wasn't that the whole time. You either have to say Fitz sucks or the people in charge like Nix and Gailey suck then for being in that situation, all teams have injuries.

All teams have injuries, but the "people in charge" had a year to build up depth. Teams like Green Bay have had 5-6 years of the same people in charge, ready to build up depth.

I'm not saying the receivers were the only reason Fitz sucked, but it was obviously a factor. The passing game started going downhill when Parrish got injured and really crumpled when Evans went down.

ServoBillieves
02-18-2011, 01:18 PM
My senile, deaf, and slightly ******ed dog knows this.
Ralph Wiggum with his head stuck in a hole for the past 11 years knows this.
A coma victim who recently came out, then got amnesia, knows this.
Mitchell55 did not know this.
An Ethiopian knows this.

Shall I continue? Is the offseason really THIS boring and predictive?

Extremebillsfan247
02-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Fitz was the worst starting QB in the NFL in the 2nd half of the season, I am not sure it was even close too, he was downright awful. He got worse as the season went on, and he proved when he had to do too much he was not very capable of it. How in the world do writers not bring up how pathetic Fitz was as the season went on? Probably because as bad as he was, he still outperformed Trent Edwards in Edwards best year as a Bill. As bad as he was, he was the first Bills QB in 4 seasons to throw for 3000 yards or more, the first Bills QB since 2002 to throw for 20 tds or more, and the only QB in a Bills uniform to do both in the same season since Drew Bledsoe did it in his first year as Bill. He had what you might call a career year for an average QB. At the start of the season he wasn't even in the realm of conversation of being just average. That could have something to do with it.

PTI
02-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Probably because as bad as he was, he still outperformed Trent Edwards in Edwards best year as a Bill. As bad as he was, he was the first Bills QB in 4 seasons to throw for 3000 yards or more, the first Bills QB since 2002 to throw for 20 tds or more, and the only QB in a Bills uniform to do both in the same season since Drew Bledsoe did it in his first year as Bill. He had what you might call a career year for an average QB. At the start of the season he wasn't even in the realm of conversation of being just average. That could have something to do with it.

Not hard to throw for 20 TDs in today's game, anyone that knows jack about football knows that the game is different today than 9-10 years ago with no touch on WRs. Fitz's stats are not impressive, 3,000 yards is nothing. 4 wins sucks. In less career starts, Fitz has less wins than Edwards, and is less clutch, Fitz has less career 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives than Edwads does. He has less career 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives than JP Losman has, and Losman has less career starts. Fitz has proven to be a late in the game liability. Fitz has the 20th most starts in the NFL over the last 3 years in combined starts, he has proven he stinks and is an average backup at best.

Extremebillsfan247
02-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Not hard to throw for 20 TDs in today's game, anyone that knows jack about football knows that the game is different today than 9-10 years ago with no touch on WRs. Fitz's stats are not impressive, 3,000 yards is nothing. 4 wins sucks. In less career starts, Fitz has less wins than Edwards, and is less clutch, Fitz has less career 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives than Edwads does. He has less career 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives than JP Losman has, and Losman has less career starts. Fitz has proven to be a late in the game liability. Fitz has the 20th most starts in the NFL over the last 3 years in combined starts, he has proven he stinks and is an average backup at best.Then why did it take 7 years to accomplish in Buffalo? lol

PTI
02-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Then why did it take 7 years to accomplish in Buffalo? lol

Accomplish what? Winning 4 games? It has been much longer than that since we only won 4 games. You do realize the Bills were 28th in offense last year and 27th this this year, right?

stuckincincy
02-18-2011, 02:23 PM
All teams have injuries, but the "people in charge" had a year to build up depth. Teams like Green Bay have had 5-6 years of the same people in charge, ready to build up depth.

I'm not saying the receivers were the only reason Fitz sucked, but it was obviously a factor. The passing game started going downhill when Parrish got injured and really crumpled when Evans went down.

If a team's passing game happened to be hurt by the loss of a Roscoe Parrish...Ye Gods...:teary:

better days
02-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Not hard to throw for 20 TDs in today's game, anyone that knows jack about football knows that the game is different today than 9-10 years ago with no touch on WRs. Fitz's stats are not impressive, 3,000 yards is nothing. 4 wins sucks. In less career starts, Fitz has less wins than Edwards, and is less clutch, Fitz has less career 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives than Edwads does. He has less career 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives than JP Losman has, and Losman has less career starts. Fitz has proven to be a late in the game liability. Fitz has the 20th most starts in the NFL over the last 3 years in combined starts, he has proven he stinks and is an average backup at best.

I think Trent Edwards would disagree with you. He found it very easy to throw for less than 20 TD's per season & less than 3000 yds as well.

PTI
02-18-2011, 02:32 PM
I think Trent Edwards would disagree with you. He found it very easy to throw for less than 20 TD's per season & less than 3000 yds as well.

Doesn't matter, you can fart 4 wins in the NFL, I don't care about stats, and I am not saying Edwards is better than Fitz, they both are not very good, but the Bills would have won 4 games with Edwards all season long too.

stuckincincy
02-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Doesn't matter, you can fart 4 wins in the NFL, I don't care about stats, and I am not saying Edwards is better than Fitz, they both are not very good, but the Bills would have won 4 games with Edwards all season long too.

Quite so.

But what is to be done?

Were I calling their draft shots the last decade, I'd have minimally drafted this or that QB in the 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. most every year, crossing my fingers I'd get lucky.

Extremebillsfan247
02-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Accomplish what? Winning 4 games? It has been much longer than that since we only won 4 games. You do realize the Bills were 28th in offense last year and 27th this this year, right? Its been 7 years since a QB on this team threw for 20 or more TDs. Fitzpatrick threw 23 in 13 games.

7 of the 13 games Fitz started in, the opposition put up 30 or more points because we had the worst defense in football. That's asking an awful lot of any QB in this league considering there are maybe a handful who could even put up 30+ points a game consistently. Were you also aware of the fact that the Bills were 3-3 in games that Fitz started where the opposition scored less than 30 points? he went 3-2 against teams that failed to score 20 or more points. There were 9 teams in the league last year that held the opposition on average to under 20 points per game, the Bills were not among them.

Without Fitzpatrick this team would have went 0-16 like a lot of you predicted. Just go back and review the games played by both Trent Edwards at the beginning of the year, Brian Brohm in the final game against the Jets backups, and it wouldn't even take a 9 year old long to figure that out.

PTI
02-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Quite so.

But what is to be done?

Were I calling their draft shots the last decade, I'd have minimally drafted this or that QB in the 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. most every year, crossing my fingers I'd get lucky.

I really don't think they can wait any longer to take someone high in the draft this year. We had Losman and were not sure about him, I think the Edwards pick was a good choice. He didn't pan out, he looked like he could be good enough, but Adrian Wilson knocked any confidence he had in him out. Fitz is no game changer, he is the same as Shaun Hill. Bills really need to get someone they think is ready enough to play and play soon. That is how the most recent guys found some level of success like Ryan, Flacco, Bradford, and Freeman. Stafford has looked decent when healthy. I only hope with the all the people that scout that there is some new formula for finding a successful QB, and the Bills are ready to find their guy. We aren't going to win with Fitz at QB, especially if Miami trades for Kolb, that is 3 playoff teams in our division. I wouldn't be against the Bills trading for Kolb either though. I want to say I hope we get lucky, but I would rather be good, and the Bills are good enough and confident enough in one of the QBs this year.

PTI
02-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Its been 7 years since a QB on this team threw for 20 or more TDs. Fitzpatrick threw 23 in 13 games.

7 of the 13 games Fitz started in, the opposition put up 30 or more points because we had the worst defense in football. That's asking an awful lot of any QB in this league considering there are maybe a handful who could even put up 30+ points a game consistently. Were you also aware of the fact that the Bills were 3-3 in games that Fitz started where the opposition scored less than 30 points? he went 3-2 against teams that failed to score 20 or more points. There were 9 teams in the league last year that held the opposition on average to under 20 points per game, the Bills were not among them.

Without Fitzpatrick this team would have went 0-16 like a lot of you predicted. Just go back and review the games played by both Trent Edwards at the beginning of the year, Brian Brohm in the final game against the Jets backups, and it wouldn't even take a 9 year old long to figure that out.

Come on, the Bills scored over 19 points 3 times, you can't win scoring over over 19 points 3 times. The Bills averaged like 17.6 points a game, they only scored over 17.6 only 4 times, which means the average is highly inflated by the 49 against Cincinnati who he only had god stats because they had 4 of their top 5 secndary players not play in the 2nd half of the game, including the guy who had 2 INTS in the first half.

I will review the games Edwards played. Bills scored 10 with Edwards, and 17 with Fitz. WOW!!! The only thing different against Green Bay is Fitz would have put up garbage time stats, Bills were running the ball down 3 touchdowns in that game, and in that game Bills WRS had 2 INTs taken right out of their hands too. I do remember that, do you? Fitz would have sucked too in that game, you can fake it all you want to. Oh yeah, Jets only sat a few starters, and if I remember, Fitz was coming off the most pathetic QB display I have seen against New England. He had, what, 3 INTs, 3 fumbles? You really think Fitz would have rebounded? You do realize Fitz has stunk every time he has played the Jets in his career, right? Below 50% completions and like a 60 something QB rating, you can fake all you want that he would have done well, but him not playing against in the last game was a mercy sitting in case the Bills had to sell Fitz as starter this next season so the lasting memory is how bad Brohm was and not how bad Fitz was and is.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-18-2011, 03:35 PM
what were the bills offensive stats with fitz starting only this year. in the 13 games?

Night Train
02-18-2011, 03:36 PM

It's all 1 big Madden game where it's strictly the QB and has nothing to do with the bottom ranked Defense in the NFL, meaning the O is usually playing from behind.

Not a big fan of Fitz but Montana in his prime couldn't have won 5 games with this team. But feel free to keep perpetuating the hysteria that all losses were strictly a result of the QB play. I'm sure that plays well somewhere.

PTI
02-18-2011, 03:44 PM
what were the bills offensive stats with fitz starting only this year. in the 13 games?

Scoring was better. 19.9 a game. Bills only scored over 19.9 only 3 times, you do see this is an inflated number, right, from the 49 aberration? That means 10 out of 13 games he started they did not get to 20 points. You can't win unless you score points. You do realize Bills scored 17 with Fitz and 10 with Edwards against Miami and scored 14 with Fitz and 7 with Brohm and Levi, and what is funny is people think Fitz would have lit them up. There are no measurables that add up to say Fitz played well. Bills scored over 1 time in the last 9 starts of Fitz, he progressively got worst as the season went on leading up the debacle against New England.

PTI
02-18-2011, 03:49 PM
It's all 1 big Madden game where it's strictly the QB and has nothing to do with the bottom ranked Defense in the NFL, meaning the O is usually playing from behind.

Not a big fan of Fitz but Montana in his prime couldn't have won 5 games with this team. But feel free to keep perpetuating the hysteria that all losses were strictly a result of the QB play. I'm sure that plays well somewhere.

That is just crazy talk, Bills would have easily won 9 or 10 games with Brady, Manning, or a prime Montana, it is just flat out wrong to say otherwise and to say means you think Fitz is as good as those guys. There is no way Indy wins 5 games this season if the Bills traded QBs. With everyone saying Fitz got worse as the Wrs got hurt and they were not that good, please check out the injuries and players Brady and Manning were throwing to. Just ignorant.

It is not me, it is every analyst out there, or at least 90% of them that will tell you this is now a passing and a QB league. Ignore, go ahead. To lump everyone into thinking that needing a good QB as Madden talk and then saying well, he got 3,000 yards and 23 TDs is completely hypocritical too. He is a bad starter and an average backup, not even as good as Kitna and on par with Shaun Hill.

Night Train
02-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Just ignorant.

" I'll take Irony for $1200, Alex .."

Extremebillsfan247
02-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Scoring was better. 19.9 a game. Bills only scored over 19.9 only 3 times, you do see this is an inflated number, right, from the 49 aberration? That means 10 out of 13 games he started they did not get to 20 points. You can't win unless you score points. You do realize Bills scored 17 with Fitz and 10 with Edwards against Miami and scored 14 with Fitz and 7 with Brohm and Levi, and what is funny is people think Fitz would have lit them up. There are no measurables that add up to say Fitz played well. Bills scored over 1 time in the last 9 starts of Fitz, he progressively got worst as the season went on leading up the debacle against New England.
Well, considering the Bills defense last year gave up an average 26.6 points per game is it really that difficult to figure out why this team really only won 4 games? You know how many offenses in the NFL even averaged 26.6 points per game or more last season? 4. That's where Our offense needed to be to even be close to breaking .500 with that defense we put on the field last year. 3 of those teams have arguably the best QBs in the NFL. It really doesn't matter what you think of Fitzpatrick, unless our Defense improves, you better pray we get the next Brady, Manning, or Rivers, because that will be the only chance this team has of even getting back to 8-8, let alone a winning season. JMO

PTI
02-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Well, considering the Bills defense last year gave up an average 26.6 points per game is it really that difficult to figure out why this team really only won 4 games? You know how many offenses in the NFL averaged even close to 26.6 points per game last season? 4. That's where Our offense needed to be to even be close to break .500 with that defense we put on the field last year. 3 of those teams have arguably the best QBs in the NFL. It really doesn't matter what you think of Fitzpatrick, unless our Defense improves, you better pray we get the next Brady, Manning, or Rivers, because that will be the only chance this team has of even getting back to 8-8, let alone a winning season. JMO

Better QB would have beaten Miami in game 1, KC, Pittsbugh, Chicago, Jacksonville, and might have kept the Bills competitive in Minnesota game instead of turning it over and make the defense play the whole game. That is 9 or 10 wins there.

Look, 26.6 points a game. You do realize a lot of those games got out of hand by ineptness on offense and turnovers, right? Even if the Bills had the 16th rated defense, that is 21.6 a game, Bills scored over that amount 3 times.

Extremebillsfan247
02-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Better QB would have beaten Miami in game 1, KC, Pittsbugh, Chicago, Jacksonville, and might have kept the Bills competitive in Minnesota game instead of turning it over and make the defense play the whole game. That is 9 or 10 wins there.

Look, 26.6 points a game. You do realize a lot of those games got out of hand by ineptness on offense and turnovers, right? Even if the Bills had the 16th rated defense, that is 21.6 a game, Bills scored over that amount 3 times. over 90 percent of the starting QBs in the NFL would have failed to win with this team because of that defensive output. We have to do better on defense to win in the NFL or we simply wont no matter who we put out there as a starting QB.

Johnny Bugmenot
02-18-2011, 04:54 PM
There was only one truly atrocious game on Fitz's part... and that was the annual Pats game in Buffalo, which I swear the Bills deliberately try to lose badly every year. You seem to be out of step with reality.

imbondz
02-20-2011, 10:57 PM

lol