PDA

View Full Version : bob sanders testing market...

CuseJetsFan83
02-18-2011, 10:38 AM
do you think buffalo, nyj, or NE kick the tires?

he is often injured.... but can be a clutch player...

JimIrsay (http://twitter.com/#%21/JimIrsay) Jim Irsay

We have released Bob Sanders today. We thank Bob 4 all his incredible contributions from his Sup Bowl pic 2 def player of year honors.

psubills62
02-18-2011, 10:40 AM
You have to imagine that he'd be worth a 1 year prove it contract.

BidsJr
02-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Kirk Ferentz said about Bob Sanders when he arrived to Iowa as a true freshman.... "It was like being in a street fight and having your big brother show up."

I would take a chance on him in a nanosecond.

The King
02-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Always hurt.

Mr. Pink
02-18-2011, 10:56 AM
No reason for anyone to pick him up at this point, including us.

He just can't stay healthy. Great on the field, but would just eat up salary and cap room for nothing as it stands now.

paranoid
02-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Wow. NFL owners sound just as moronic as everyone else does on Twitter. Here's to egalitarian illiteracy.

Beebe's Kid
02-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Erie's native son!

If I didn't know better, I'd say Bob got too big too fast with chemical assistance, and now his body can keep itself together.

To say he is always hurt is a complete understatement.

I would still give him a chance.

DraftBoy
02-18-2011, 11:08 AM
Nobody scoops Jim Irsay!

Id pass on Sanders.

OpIv37
02-18-2011, 11:19 AM
how many nanoseconds do you think it took between this tweet and a phone call from Danny Snyder?

DraftBoy
02-18-2011, 11:22 AM
how many nanoseconds do you think it took between this tweet and a phone call from Danny Snyder?

Power of Twitter, power of Twitter.

trapezeus
02-18-2011, 11:26 AM
My rule is that you shouldn't have more than 1 flyer on an injury prone superstar on each side of the ball.

Merriman got our, "he used to be good, let's see what he's got." The bills could try on Offense, but to have two people on defense like that is a bad, bad idea.

OpIv37
02-18-2011, 11:30 AM
My rule is that you shouldn't have more than 1 flyer on an injury prone superstar on each side of the ball.

Merriman got our, "he used to be good, let's see what he's got." The bills could try on Offense, but to have two people on defense like that is a bad, bad idea.

Hey man, we could have the best defense in the NFL for the first 3 quarters of Week 1!

Jeff1220
02-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Sanders has been amazing both in his inability to stay healthy and his ability to significantly upgrade the Colts' defense when healthy.
That said, he's a guy that might be worth it if he checks out physically. He has more leadership in one dreadlock than Whitner ever had in his entire being.

TacklingDummy
02-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Sign him. He can stand next to Merriman on the sidelines.

Billz_fan
02-18-2011, 12:11 PM
A difference maker on the field but always on the sidelines. Pass.

trapezeus
02-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Hey man, we could have the best defense in the NFL for the first 3 quarters of Week 1!

can you imagine sander, poz, and merriman going down in week 1 and then all the "we need a QB people" would be mighty sad that our pathetically thin LB crop and non-existant DL just got thinner from there.

stock the D, please. Just stock it with D players who could play now.

ublinkwescore
02-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Sign him. He can stand next to Merriman on the sidelines.

Now that would be an intimidating sideline.

Extremebillsfan247
02-18-2011, 12:38 PM
do you think buffalo, nyj, or NE kick the tires?

he is often injured.... but can be a clutch player...

JimIrsay (http://twitter.com/#%21/JimIrsay) Jim Irsay

We have released Bob Sanders today. We thank Bob 4 all his incredible contributions from his Sup Bowl pic 2 def player of year honors.
I think he would be better suited for a team that already has the pieces in place to make a run at a postseason. But I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Bills uniform if he could manage to stay on the field. We have a lot of young talent in the secondary that could benefit from a Pro of his caliber. But that's just my opinion.

ServoBillieves
02-18-2011, 12:50 PM

Beat me to it. I know that Merriman's contract is slightly better than T.O.'s but I seriously wouldn't mind if we picked him up for that 1 year tryout/"give it a shot" like we did with popcorn. If he gets hurt? IR, bring in the new guy.

It's better than having Cary Harris on your 53 man roster to start the season.

Prov401
02-18-2011, 12:56 PM
I'd sign him, only if it weren't for mega $.

Commissioner
02-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Just give him an incentive laden contract...

Beebe's Kid
02-18-2011, 01:55 PM
can you imagine sander, poz, and merriman going down in week 1 and then all the "we need a QB people" would be mighty sad that our pathetically thin LB crop and non-existant DL just got thinner from there.

stock the D, please. Just stock it with D players who could play now.

A good QB can fix all of that. Go ahead and try to say otherwise, but there was an interview with Ralph, and Nix said we'd scout a QB, and some pundit said we might take Newton...it's as good as done.

Also...while we're at it. You can not have multiple players on your team that play the same position. You pick a favorite, and run the other guy out of town. Depth is over-rated.

Oh...I also forgot...is Sanders, Polamalu? No...then PASS...he's no good, not it Buffalo, we need the best of the best of the best. Polamalu isn't a FA, so if I say we need him, we won't get him, and I'll be all set to piss and moan about me knowing more than Nix and why we suck etc.

stuckincincy
02-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Just give him an incentive laden contract...

Yup. CIN did that with Pac Man Jones. Who kept his nose clean and played quite well, until he ended up on IR with a pranged neck or shoulder or some such, after 5 or so games.

evol4276
02-18-2011, 02:54 PM
i'd say yes but when was the last time he was healthy a full year? he's obviously a difference-maker when he's on the field, but he's got to be on the field first

trapezeus
02-18-2011, 03:01 PM
actually i am reversing my stance on this for the following reasons:

1. can we actually put together a defense worse than last year with more injuries. Might as well try and set a record. Who else is available that can't possibly finish the first 4 games? I think we need an unreliable DE and we will have a glass man at each position.

2. What a message to whitner if we sign bob sanders. "we'd rather have this guy who makes plays when he's out there for 4 games a season than have you doing nothing for 16."

3. if sanders isn't on twitter, sign him. i'd also be interested to see if we could sign a team full of non-twitters. That'd be the dream.

Night Train
02-18-2011, 03:17 PM
A shame the guy is broken glass.

All heart but can't stay healthy.

Pass, for his own good. He should go into coaching or broadcastcasting. Don't want to see the guy completely crippled in his 40's.

Bufftp
02-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Power of Twitter, power of Twitter.
nah, power of Twitts.

ublinkwescore
02-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Nope... OJ Atogwe

dannyek71
02-20-2011, 11:02 AM
We did take Shawn Merriman

Philagape
02-20-2011, 12:09 PM
I'd give him a chance, because 4 weeks of Sanders > a full season of Whitner

Goobylal
02-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Out of a potential 112 starts since entering the league, Sanders has played in just 48 games, or 43% of them, and only 9 the past 3 years. He'll be turning 30 in 4 days. I can't see any team taking a flyer on him for what he'd want to be paid, and his injury history makes him completely unreliable.