PDA

View Full Version : Blaine Gabbert not even a first rounder... ?

Commissioner
02-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Not sure what to make of this?

• I can’t find any NFL scout to tell me they love Colorado OT Nate Solder as a prospect, they all say he’s talented, but no one says they love him.
• The same can be said for Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert, (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/scouting_department.html) haven’t talked to any scout who had convictions in giving the guy a first round grade.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-draft-rumors-6583.html

psubills62
02-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Not terribly surprised. As I said in another thread, I wouldn't be shocked if he fell to the 2nd round.

Bangarang
02-18-2011, 01:08 PM
I believe it. Guy literally came out of nowhere as soon as Luck decided to go back to school.

Commissioner
02-18-2011, 01:11 PM
It could be a smoke screen... every analyst on TV says he's top QB in the draft.

Find it hard to believe scouts would say he's behind Locker and Mallett then.

Perhaps they are trying to get him to slip to team.

NFL draft advisory board also told him he would be a top selection.

Ebenezer
02-18-2011, 01:11 PM
If the Bills do DL with the first pick would anybody be upset if they took Gabbert in the 2nd?

Ebenezer
02-18-2011, 01:12 PM
It could be a smoke screen... every analyst on TV says he's top QB in the draft.

Find it hard to believe scouts would say he's behind Locker and Mallett then.

Perhaps they are trying to get him to slip to team.

NFL draft advisory board also told him he would be a top selection.
either that or Locker and Mallet are not first rounders either...look what happened last year with McCoy and Clausen.

ServoBillieves
02-18-2011, 01:23 PM
I'll reiterate what Bangarang said.

It was Luck, Newton, Mallett, Locker, and Devlin before Luck decided to go back to school.

Then, it suddenly became Gabbert, Kaepernick, Newton, Locker, Stanzi... Almost overnight. What the hell?

Prov401
02-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Dude is a backup.

OpIv37
02-18-2011, 01:30 PM
If the Bills do DL with the first pick would anybody be upset if they took Gabbert in the 2nd?

not at all- I was just about to post that I'd take him in the 2nd.

JCBills
02-18-2011, 01:32 PM
That's where his stock was before Luck decided not to come out. Late 1st - early 2nd. I had him slotted into our 2nd rounder about 2 months ago.

Commissioner
02-18-2011, 01:36 PM
That's where his stock was before Luck decided not to come out. Late 1st - early 2nd. I had him slotted into our 2nd rounder about 2 months ago.
In your opinion....

He decided to enter the draft after hearing from the NFL draft advisory board that he would be a top pick.... that was before Luck decided to go back to school.

JCBills
02-18-2011, 01:41 PM
In your opinion....

He decided to enter the draft after hearing from the NFL draft advisory board that he would be a top pick.... that was before Luck decided to go back to school.

Maybe the board knew Luck would be staying, I don't know. That's where most people had him not too long ago, with a few saying he could land just outside the top 10. Demand drove his stock up. I like Gabbert a lot, if it were a viable option I'd take him, but I don't see the value at #3. If he's there with our early 2nd, well that's an easy decision.

Beebe's Kid
02-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Not sure what to make of this?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-draft-rumors-6583.html

It's not true! It's just not true!!

I've broken down the game tape, I've watched his release, his footwork, his intangibles!!! He is the real deal, if I've ever seen it.

The only reason we didn't know about him was that the game tape took a while to get in on him. He is the best kept secret in the world!!

It would be funny if it weren't so ****ing sad.

Beebe's Kid
02-18-2011, 01:46 PM

Well...as soon as all of the info is in on him, if scouts don't think he is that good...I'll pass. I can see how he would be attractive...he did show up on a lot of the "experts" mock a couple of weeks ago, but I wouldn't draft him based on that. The sub-par second half of his season would also factor in my decision.

DrGraves
02-18-2011, 01:46 PM
I do not want Gabbert. Even in the second round.

ddaryl
02-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Gabbert in the 2nd would be a pretty good score. IMO...

Sure as hell would beat Clausen in the 2nd from last season.

I'm starting to get the feeling that junior QB's are being scrutinized a lot more by pro-scouts, where as Draft Analyst are still living off what recent years have show us.

DraftBoy
02-18-2011, 02:39 PM
In your opinion....

That's not true, that's speculation. What the draft advisory board told him has not been released to my knowledge.

DraftBoy
02-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Dont go jumping off a bridge just yet.

Commissioner
02-18-2011, 02:47 PM
That's not true, that's speculation. What the draft advisory board told him has not been released to my knowledge.

He wouldn't have come out of school if he didn't think his draft stock is high... that makes no sense, when people said he would have been one of the top picks in 2012.

Commissioner
02-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Mike Mayock on Blaine Gabbert...

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/2/18/2000705/mike-mayock-blaine-gabbert-2011-nfl-draft

"Ever team in the top ten who thinks they need a quarterback ought to be grinding those QBs, and they better look at Blaine Gabbert," Mayock

Mayock said he's seen 7 of Blaine Gabbert's games and he reminds him of Stafford and Bradford, guys who immediately do well in NFL.

"If u believe there's a franchise quarterback..that need trumps everything else. Ryan Fitzpatrick is OK, but you need a franchise QB" Mayock

Mayock is concerned about Blaine Gabbert's transition from the spread to NFL offense. "The footwork and reads are completely different."

k-oneputt
02-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Don't you know yet, there aren't any qb's worthy of going in the 1st rd., EVER.

But when it's all said and done there will be at least 3 or 4 that will.

Then they will struggle as rookie qb's, like they all do, and they will suck forever.

Just ask the superscouts because they do such a great job of this.

psubills62
02-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Don't you know yet, there aren't any qb's worthy of going in the 1st rd., EVER.

But when it's all said and done there will be at least 3 or 4 that will.

Then they will struggle as rookie qb's, like they all do, and they will suck forever.

Just ask the superscouts because they do such a great job of this.

That's odd, because I remember the "superscouts" on the board telling people that Bradford and Luck both had/have first round grades.

k-oneputt
02-18-2011, 03:19 PM
I would guess that Gabbert, Newton will definitley go in the 1st and Locker and /or Mallett will both, or at least one will also go in the 1st.

what do you think ?

Figster
02-18-2011, 03:22 PM
I would guess that Gabbert, Newton will definitley go in the 1st and Locker and /or Mallett will both, or at least one will also go in the 1st.

what do you think ?

Good guess in my opinion, QB's are almost always overrated by some teams.

I also see Newton, Gabbert and Mallet all going in the 1st and maybe even Locker.

Night Train
02-18-2011, 03:25 PM
There's a difference between saying the guy " doesn't have a first round grade "... and whether he'll be selected in the first round.

I didn't have any trouble understanding it. :rolleyes:

He and 2-3 others will probably be selected in the 1st round,strictly because they're QB's. They will not be value picks by any stretch.. but that's the norm with most QB's picked high.

DraftBoy
02-18-2011, 03:26 PM
He wouldn't have come out of school if he didn't think his draft stock is high... that makes no sense, when people said he would have been one of the top picks in 2012.

Again Im not arguing what his stock is or isn't. Im simply saying what you said about what he heard from the NFL Advisory Committee is not true at least to this point.

DraftBoy
02-18-2011, 03:27 PM
That's odd, because I remember the "superscouts" on the board telling people that Bradford and Luck both had/have first round grades.

A few also said Jimmy Clausen was going to fall out of Round 1...just saying.

k-oneputt
02-18-2011, 03:28 PM
What exactly is "value" ?

A guy is good enough to be the 15th pick but not the 8th ?

And how do you decide this ? his 40 yd. dash ????

Mckelvin had a pretty good 40.

TigerJ
02-18-2011, 10:29 PM
If Gabbert is still around in the second and Buffalo hasn't jumped the gun and drafted Newton in the first, Gabbert is pretty much a no brainer at #34.

Commissioner
02-19-2011, 12:11 AM
If Gabbert is still around in the second and Buffalo hasn't jumped the gun and drafted Newton in the first, Gabbert is pretty much a no brainer at #34.

With so many teams needing a QB... there's is no chance the #1 rated QB on almost every analysts board is going to fall to the 2nd round.

YardRat
02-19-2011, 06:37 AM
I still think the guy they are targeting is Ponder in the second.

Lone Stranger
02-19-2011, 08:20 AM

Not Me; I would be ecstatic.

X-Era
02-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Totally ridiculous. Gabbert wil go high in the 1st round guys.

Dujek
02-20-2011, 07:12 AM
I'll stick with what I said before, Gabbert shouldn't go in the first, and he's certainly not the best QB in this draft, by a long way.

Commissioner
02-20-2011, 02:55 PM
If the Bills pass on Gabbert... it's going to go down as the biggest mistake in franchise history.

malvado78
02-20-2011, 03:34 PM
If the Bills pass on Gabbert... it's going to go down as the biggest mistake in franchise history.

I doubt that. They have quite a few doozies...

Dujek
02-20-2011, 03:40 PM

No, picking him with the #3 pick would be the biggest mistake in franchise history.

PTI
02-21-2011, 10:08 AM
There is no chance Gabbert lasts past the first round. Heck, the feaking Steelers, Patriots or Saints would take him if he was there for their pick.

malvado78
02-21-2011, 11:10 AM
There is no chance Gabbert lasts past the first round. Heck, the feaking Steelers, Patriots or Saints would take him if he was there for their pick.

Guarantee you that the Stillers would not. They have Roth and Dixon. THey have other holes to fill and are not a bumbling org.

dannyek71
02-21-2011, 11:36 AM
There will be 3 qbs taken in the first round. Gabbert, Newton and either Locker, Mallet or other.

Extremebillsfan247
02-21-2011, 12:18 PM
I've heard of at least 2 of these QBs going back to the middle of the '09 season, Locker and Mallet. Last season, names like Luck, Mallet and Locker(once again) and Newton were all hot topics among prospects. Ponder, and Dalton were also loosely talked about but rarely talked about. I didn't start hearing the name of Devlin until late in the 2010 season. Names I didn't hear until after Andrew Luck decided not to declare were Kaepernik and Gabbert.

Here's my point, when your good, it doesn't matter what school you play for, where you come from, people will hear about it eventually. What has me skeptical about Gabbert is as another poster pointed out, Newton and Luck were battling topics of discussion all season long in media circles over who was the hotter prospect. As soon as Luck decides not to declare for the draft, Newton goes from prominent, to questionable talent overnight, and some Gabbert dude comes out of nowhere, and becomes the instant media sensation without really doing anything to justify that, and it has me suspicious. JMO

better days
02-21-2011, 12:26 PM
I've heard of at least 2 of these QBs going back to the middle of the '09 season, Locker and Mallet. Last season, names like Luck, Mallet and Locker(once again) and Newton were all hot topics among prospects. Ponder, and Dalton were also loosely talked about but rarely talked about. I didn't start hearing the name of Devlin until late in the 2010 season. Names I didn't hear until after Andrew Luck decided not to declare were Kaepernik and Gabbert.

Here's my point, when your good, it doesn't matter what school you play for, where you come from, people will hear about it eventually. What has me skeptical about Gabbert is as another poster pointed out, Newton and Luck were battling topics of discussion all season long in media circles over who was the hotter prospect. As soon as Luck decides not to declare for the draft, Newton goes from prominent, to questionable talent overnight, and some Gabbert dude comes out of nowhere, and becomes the instant media sensation without really doing anything to justify that, and it has me suspicious. JMO

If Luck had declared for the draft, the draft talk would have been who is the 2nd best QB, Newton or Gabbert. We all know Locker played himself out of the talk & there are concerns about Mallett, if he can play & his character as well.

Commissioner
02-21-2011, 01:04 PM
I doubt that. They have quite a few doozies...

Passing on a franchise QB when you don't have one... would be the biggest.

PTI
02-21-2011, 01:11 PM

Yep. Ask Miami Dolphins. Where would they be with Matt Ryan? Likely right there with Jets and Pats.

psubills62
02-21-2011, 01:24 PM

There's currently very little evidence to suggest Gabbert is worthy of the title "franchise QB."

Extremebillsfan247
02-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Passing on a franchise QB when you don't have one... would be the biggest. I agree, passing on a franchise QB would not be a good idea. Show me one franchise QB in this draft though.

Commissioner
02-22-2011, 12:07 AM
I agree, passing on a franchise QB would not be a good idea. Show me one franchise QB in this draft though.

I can't cure the blind...

X-Era
02-22-2011, 06:29 AM
I can't cure the blind...It's up to the teams to decide, not us. The potential is there on several players IMO, but certainly not as "sure-fire" as with Luck. It's shades of gray, not black and white.

As for notions about Gabbert. There is a reason that he ranks so high on many peoples boards. He has everything you look for, but simply needs more polish. The question would be whether he continues to develop or not. But isn't that the situation with most every prospect? Again, the teams will decide where he belongs.