PDA

View Full Version : Really Good Read On All Things Newton

Bangarang
02-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Really good article that talks about a lot of the concerns and myths associated with Cam Newton.

At Blinn, coaches raved about the way that Newton spent time with his receivers, helping them to learn to adjust their routes when a blitz is coming, teaching them to recognize hot routes when they see certain coverage’s and helping them learn the audibles. During his year with Auburn, I’ve been told that Newton was one of the first in and last to leave the weight and film rooms and was constantly trying to learn to become better.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/02/draft_winds_a_thorough_breakdo.html

Commissioner
02-19-2011, 10:52 AM
I could show you almost the exact same article on Gabbert.

You are gonna find propaganda articles on every player in the draft...

Raptor
02-19-2011, 12:24 PM
You really cant take anything these college coaches say publicly seriously about there players

I mean what are they going to say, "he was lazy and i had to drag him into the film room". A statement like that would do wonders for future recruiting.

tampabay25690
02-19-2011, 12:47 PM
I will be honest I think Cam is a better all around prospect then Gabbert....
I still can't believe Gabbert went from a possible 3rd round pick to a top 10 pick....

ublinkwescore
02-19-2011, 01:08 PM
all I know, is we are due to hit paydirt with a QB.

Commissioner
02-19-2011, 02:40 PM
I will be honest I think Cam is a better all around prospect then Gabbert....
I still can't believe Gabbert went from a possible 3rd round pick to a top 10 pick....

Since when was Gabbert ever considered a 3rd round pick?

DraftBoy
02-19-2011, 04:26 PM

Pre-season, he was never considered a first round pick till later this year.

Always late 2nd-early 3rd.

Thief
02-19-2011, 05:36 PM

You are gonna find propaganda articles on every player in the draft...OK. Let's see it.

Buffalo Thriller
02-19-2011, 10:28 PM

Since when was he even considered good?

Prov401
02-19-2011, 10:52 PM
Newton > Gabbert

BertSquirtgum
02-19-2011, 11:31 PM
**** cam newton

Prov401
02-20-2011, 12:57 AM
**** cam newton

Start, star, star, star Cam Newton? He may turn out to be that damn good.

bosshogg21
02-20-2011, 05:42 AM
Gabbert is a bum.

tampabay25690
02-20-2011, 10:14 AM

I guess I don't even have to answer DB already did for me....
At best before the season he was a 3rd round pick....
Hey I give the guy credit Andrew Luck goes back to school and he cashes in big time....

Thurmal
02-20-2011, 01:37 PM
all I know, is we are due to hit paydirt with a QB.

I don't know, dude. It makes sense, but then I think about a team like Chicago, who has never really had a great QB.

malvado78
02-20-2011, 01:55 PM

You are gonna find propaganda articles on every player in the draft...

Who cares...

Show me a an article that said this about Jamarcus.

Show me an article that did not say this about Peyton Manning.

Show me an article that said this about JP.

Should I go on...

Prov401
02-20-2011, 02:56 PM
From everything I've read, seen, and heard about Cam Newton, this kid has the dedication and will to be great. Some here are ignorant and haven't even seen the kid play ball. They're basing their judgments on off field b.s, and comparisons to Vince Young because he's tall, black, and athletic. He's a proven winner, and a very accurate passer. He's getting better at every chance, and will blossom if coached correctly. If the Bills take him at 3, I'm on board. If they don't, I'm not going to cry. But for the people who want Gabbert, you are the ones who make me laugh. This dude came out of nowhere because Luck dropped out, and all of a sudden, some dumb, Bill Parcells draft guide to drafting QB's dubbed 'the rule' is out of the blue a holy bible to some of you people, and Gabbert jumps to the front because of it. With the right coaches, Newton will be great in this league.

better days
02-20-2011, 04:56 PM
From everything I've read, seen, and heard about Cam Newton, this kid has the dedication and will to be great. Some here are ignorant and haven't even seen the kid play ball. They're basing their judgments on off field b.s, and comparisons to Vince Young because he's tall, black, and athletic. He's a proven winner, and a very accurate passer. He's getting better at every chance, and will blossom if coached correctly. If the Bills take him at 3, I'm on board. If they don't, I'm not going to cry. But for the people who want Gabbert, you are the ones who make me laugh. This dude came out of nowhere because Luck dropped out, and all of a sudden, some dumb, Bill Parcells draft guide to drafting QB's dubbed 'the rule' is out of the blue a holy bible to some of you people, and Gabbert jumps to the front because of it. With the right coaches, Newton will be great in this league.

Well, as a Florida Gator fan I would not call his off field problems b.s. If not for his off field problems, I would have seen MUCH MORE of Newton play in games......................in a GATOR uniform.

Josh Freeman is also tall, black & athletic. He's a proven winner, and a very accurate passer. He's getting better at every chance & will blossom. Why do you suppose Newton is not compared to him?

Prov401
02-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Well, as a Florida Gator fan I would not call his off field problems b.s. If not for his off field problems, I would have seen MUCH MORE of Newton play in games......................in a GATOR uniform.

Josh Freeman is also tall, black & athletic. He's a proven winner, and a very accurate passer. He's getting better at every chance & will blossom. Why do you suppose Newton is not compared to him?

I do call the off field problems b.s. He purchased a stolen lap top. Purchased, a.k.a bought. He didn't steal anything. His father was the one banned from games, not Cam. The NCAA did a full investigation, and know more about the issue than anybody here. So let the minor mistakes, if that's what you want to call them, cloud your judgement on a great athlete, who has exceptional accuracy, and desire to be the best.

I'm not comparing Newton to anybody. He's Cam Newton, one of a kind. Every person I've heard or seen on TV or on boards have compared him to Young.

I can read your writing btw. I'm not blind. I would have been able to identify the words 'much more', and 'gator' without the caps.

better days
02-20-2011, 06:46 PM
I do call the off field problems b.s. He purchased a stolen lap top. Purchased, a.k.a bought. He didn't steal anything. His father was the one banned from games, not Cam. The NCAA did a full investigation, and know more about the issue than anybody here. So let the minor mistakes, if that's what you want to call them, cloud your judgement on a great athlete, who has exceptional accuracy, and desire to be the best.

I'm not comparing Newton to anybody. He's Cam Newton, one of a kind. Every person I've heard or seen on TV or on boards have compared him to Young.

I can read your writing btw. I'm not blind. I would have been able to identify the words 'much more', and 'gator' without the caps.

He bought a computer he most likely knew was stolen or the matter would have been dropped upon his returning it to the police. Instead, he threw the computer he "purchased" out the window when police arrived. He also CHEATED 3 separarate times at Florida. That IMO is worse than the computer deal. Both of those incidents combined forced Newton to leave the University of Florida. Nobody ever had to leave a University because of minor mistakes. He made MAJOR MISTAKES.

You asserted Newton was being compared to Young because he was a large, black athletic QB. I gave you an example of a large, black athletic QB that Newton was not being compared to & asked why do you think he is being compared to Young & not to Freeman. It is NOT because he is athletic, his build or the color of his skin.

When people speak, certain words are given emphasis, that is why I cap some words, to give them the same emphasis I would if speaking.

Prov401
02-20-2011, 10:16 PM
He bought a computer he most likely knew was stolen or the matter would have been dropped upon his returning it to the police. Instead, he threw the computer he "purchased" out the window when police arrived. He also CHEATED 3 separarate times at Florida. That IMO is worse than the computer deal. Both of those incidents combined forced Newton to leave the University of Florida. Nobody ever had to leave a University because of minor mistakes. He made MAJOR MISTAKES.

You asserted Newton was being compared to Young because he was a large, black athletic QB. I gave you an example of a large, black athletic QB that Newton was not being compared to & asked why do you think he is being compared to Young & not to Freeman. It is NOT because he is athletic, his build or the color of his skin.

When people speak, certain words are given emphasis, that is why I cap some words, to give them the same emphasis I would if speaking.

lol. You shout words at people?

All charges were dropped on the 'alleged' theft btw.

I'm glad you don't run things here in America. People probably wouldn't get second chances after mistakes. Mistakes are made, it's life. Get over it. I tend to watch what he does on the field. And instead of focusing on his off field issues, you should focus on what he did on the field. Not just at Auburn, but at binn college. The dude has 2 straight championship seasons.

I didn't assert anything. I stated a fact. You know what a fact is right? Many have compared him to Young. Many. I'm not comparing him to anybody. He's Cam Newton. First of his kind. You get that? Stop with the Josh Freeman questions, I have no clue where your getting the assumptions that I wanted to find another black QB to compare him too.

better days
02-21-2011, 12:14 AM
lol. You shout words at people?

All charges were dropped on the 'alleged' theft btw.

I'm glad you don't run things here in America. People probably wouldn't get second chances after mistakes. Mistakes are made, it's life. Get over it. I tend to watch what he does on the field. And instead of focusing on his off field issues, you should focus on what he did on the field. Not just at Auburn, but at binn college. The dude has 2 straight championship seasons.

I didn't assert anything. I stated a fact. You know what a fact is right? Many have compared him to Young. Many. I'm not comparing him to anybody. He's Cam Newton. First of his kind. You get that? Stop with the Josh Freeman questions, I have no clue where your getting the assumptions that I wanted to find another black QB to compare him too.

Emphasis: particular prominence given as to a syllable in speaking. If you want to consider caps shouting FINE.

Here is a FACT for you, charges were only dropped after Newton underwent a pretrial intervention program. In other words he admitted his guilt by entering the program.

Here is another fact, you asserted Newton was being compared to Young by people because he is a big black athletic QB. I asked why he is not being compared to Freeman, another big black athletic QB.

Since you can't answer the question, I will tell you the answer. The reason Newton is compared to Young, is because they both have dubious character.

I'm glad you don't run things here in America because you obviously see only what you want to see & try to spin things the way you want them to be.

I have said in numerous posts if Buddy & Chan are convinced Newton has learned from his mistakes & want to draft him, I am on board.

Prov401
02-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Emphasis: particular prominence given as to a syllable in speaking. If you want to consider caps shouting FINE.

Here is a FACT for you, charges were only dropped after Newton underwent a pretrial intervention program. In other words he admitted his guilt by entering the program.

Here is another fact, you asserted Newton was being compared to Young by people because he is a big black athletic QB. I asked why he is not being compared to Freeman, another big black athletic QB.

Since you can't answer the question, I will tell you the answer. The reason Newton is compared to Young, is because they both have dubious character.

I'm glad you don't run things here in America because you obviously see only what you want to see & try to spin things the way you want them to be.

I have said in numerous posts if Buddy & Chan are convinced Newton has learned from his mistakes & want to draft him, I am on board.

I answered your question about Freeman. I'm not comparing Newton to anybody. I can care less why people aren't comparing him to Freeman. Many have compared him to Young because of the heisman/title, as well as being big, fast, and black. not because of 'dubious character'. Young had no issues heading into the NFL draft.

Cool. We're down to 2 shouts a post. Your getting better.

better days
02-21-2011, 06:50 AM
I answered your question about Freeman. I'm not comparing Newton to anybody. I can care less why people aren't comparing him to Freeman. Many have compared him to Young because of the heisman/title, as well as being big, fast, and black. not because of 'dubious character'. Young had no issues heading into the NFL draft.

Cool. We're down to 2 shouts a post. Your getting better.

AGAIN if Newton is compared to Young it is NOT because he is big fast & black. Freeman is all those as well. The reason Newton is compared to Young is because both he & Young have DUBIOUS character. Young may not have had issues about his character going into his draft but he does now, as does Newton.

If you think Newton is being Compared to Young because both won a heisman/title & not because of dubious character, you are seeing things the way you want to see them, & spinning things the way you want them to be.

The reason Newton & Young are compared is that while both have the potential to be very good NFL QB's, their character issues may prevent that from happening.

If people were comparing Newton to Freeman, he would likely be talked about as the 1st pick in the draft because there would then be no questions about his character.

The reality is there are questions about Newtons character as well as about his father. He will have to answer those questions to the satisfaction of the NFL in order to be drafted in the 1st rnd.

Dr. Who
02-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Pretty sure he will answer those questions.

Prov401
02-21-2011, 12:58 PM
AGAIN if Newton is compared to Young it is NOT because he is big fast & black. Freeman is all those as well. The reason Newton is compared to Young is because both he & Young have DUBIOUS character. Young may not have had issues about his character going into his draft but he does now, as does Newton.

If you think Newton is being Compared to Young because both won a heisman/title & not because of dubious character, you are seeing things the way you want to see them, & spinning things the way you want them to be.

The reason Newton & Young are compared is that while both have the potential to be very good NFL QB's, their character issues may prevent that from happening.

If people were comparing Newton to Freeman, he would likely be talked about as the 1st pick in the draft because there would then be no questions about his character.

The reality is there are questions about Newtons character as well as about his father. He will have to answer those questions to the satisfaction of the NFL in order to be drafted in the 1st rnd.

Hey clown, I'm not spinning anything around. I'm speaking facts. The 'dubious' character thing is flawed because Young didn't have any questions about his character coming into the draft. So those comparisons are silly, and if you want to talk about spinning things, your fabricating a bunch of non sense into that head of yours.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/02/20/1877724/newton-confident-he-can-play-lead.html

Read that. That's one of about 6 articles I'm looking at right now that I'll just keep coming on here and throwing at you.

"Vince Young is not a fair comparison," McShay said. "Vince Young did not face adversity until he got to the NFL. And he didn't handle it well once he got there. Cam Newton handled adversity beautifully."

Vince's character issues happened once he entered the league. As I've continuously said the last 3 posts.

malvado78
02-21-2011, 02:09 PM
As I've continuously said the last 3 posts.

You are right you did but remember you have not put it in CAPS for emphasis yet...

Extremebillsfan247
02-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Who cares...

Show me a an article that said this about Jamarcus.

Show me an article that did not say this about Peyton Manning.

Show me an article that said this about JP.

Should I go on... I don't know about articles, I'm sure they are out there pre Russell draft but here is an interesting little comment about his pro day- Quote "“The best Pro Day I ever saw as a quarterback was JaMarcus Russell. . . . I’ve never seen a quarterback throw the football like that in my life", says Mike Mayock. According to Mayock, Russell is the ultimate cautionary tale, and why he no longer attends pro days for QB prospects. Articles are great, but take them lightly I guess, is where Im trying to go with this statement. JMO

better days
02-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Hey clown, I'm not spinning anything around. I'm speaking facts. The 'dubious' character thing is flawed because Young didn't have any questions about his character coming into the draft. So those comparisons are silly, and if you want to talk about spinning things, your fabricating a bunch of non sense into that head of yours.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/02/20/1877724/newton-confident-he-can-play-lead.html

Read that. That's one of about 6 articles I'm looking at right now that I'll just keep coming on here and throwing at you.

"Vince Young is not a fair comparison," McShay said. "Vince Young did not face adversity until he got to the NFL. And he didn't handle it well once he got there. Cam Newton handled adversity beautifully."

Vince's character issues happened once he entered the league. As I've continuously said the last 3 posts.

OK Clown, you have said Newton is being compared to Young because both are big, black, athletic QB's that have won the Heisman/titles. If that is the reason they are being compared why are you complaining about the comparison?

You tried to spin the fact that charges were dropped on the computer case, as if Newton was innocent. You also complained that Newton was being compared to Young because both were large, black, athletic QB's. Now you are saying they are being compared because both are big, black, athletic QB's that won the Heisman/titles............ positive reasons, another spin job. And explain to me once more if those are the reasons they are being compared why is a comparison to Young not a good thing?

malvado78
02-22-2011, 08:30 AM
I don't know about articles, I'm sure they are out there pre Russell draft but here is an interesting little comment about his pro day- Quote "“The best Pro Day I ever saw as a quarterback was JaMarcus Russell. . . . I’ve never seen a quarterback throw the football like that in my life", says Mike Mayock. According to Mayock, Russell is the ultimate cautionary tale, and why he no longer attends pro days for QB prospects. Articles are great, but take them lightly I guess, is where Im trying to go with this statement. JMO

This article was talking about Newtons work ethic.

Not his freakish abilities.

I agree Jamarcus had freakish abilities but he had neither the constitution nor work ethic to make anything of himself on the next level.

It is not the be all end all but it is good to here that Newton is a reportedly hard worker (first one in last one out). Which is what I liked about the op's article.

Newton has all the physical ability. The question marks so far are his smarts, work ethic, and character.

This article spoke well of his work ethic.

Still need some more evidence on his smarts and character. There is already a few knocks on his character to start....