PDA

View Full Version : Cam Newton Hypothetical Scenario...

elltrain22
02-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Okay, this came to my mind, and IMO, is a serious thing to think about this kid. Here's the scenario. Lets say we draft Newton, and he plays well. He is all as advertised, good stats, and makes our team relevant once again. Here's the question... When its time to reup w/ the Bills, do you really think either we'll pay him what he wants, which b/w him and his dad, would be a very serious contract, and also will Cecil drive Cam to play in "big" city like Dallas, Wash, or something. Whenever I play this scenario in my head, I just can't see this kid, and especially his dad, saying yeah, I wanna stay in Buffalo. I know there are a lot of ifs here, but just wanna see what you guys think.

TMu11
02-19-2011, 09:55 PM
I think once this kid gets in the league, his father will be silenced and become a nonissue.

Figster
02-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Okay, this came to my mind, and IMO, is a serious thing to think about this kid. Here's the scenario. Lets say we draft Newton, and he plays well. He is all as advertised, good stats, and makes our team relevant once again. Here's the question... When its time to reup w/ the Bills, do you really think either we'll pay him what he wants, which b/w him and his dad, would be a very serious contract, and also will Cecil drive Cam to play in "big" city like Dallas, Wash, or something. Whenever I play this scenario in my head, I just can't see this kid, and especially his dad, saying yeah, I wanna stay in Buffalo. I know there are a lot of ifs here, but just wanna see what you guys think.

Once Cam gets here and If all goes well he's a Bill forever in my opinion.

THRILLHO
02-19-2011, 10:19 PM
We havent even looked at the kid in the combine yet, and we are already talking about how cheap we are IF we draft him, IF he does well.

Bangarang
02-19-2011, 10:48 PM
The mental state of a Bills fan is a sad one.

YardRat
02-20-2011, 07:02 AM
I'll play along...

I think if Buffalo drafts him he holds out and demands a trade to another team right from the start.

elltrain22
02-20-2011, 07:18 AM
We havent even looked at the kid in the combine yet, and we are already talking about how cheap we are IF we draft him, IF he does well.

Thats why the title of this thread is hypothetical. I realize the chances of all this happening is less than average, but I am just playing devil's advocate. I apologize.

elltrain22
02-20-2011, 07:19 AM
The mental state of a Bills fan is a sad one.

Yeah I guess it is. No playoffs in almost 15 yrs, a medling owner, past draft bust after draft bust, and on and on... You just kinda see these things like this happen, b/c its all to the norm lately.

trapezeus
02-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Why is eveyone's panties in a bunch about this thread. It's February and a lockout is possible. It's better than seeing 1000 " who should we take at three." threads.

I'll play along. I think the bills offer fair contracts to players. If they have a lights out qb in cam like you propose, the bills pony up to retain him. They know how hard it is to find a good qb. They won't let him slip through. I'd imagine we'd lose a different player if they are being cheap about things.

Thurmal
02-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Unless he is ******ed, he wants to be drafted as high as possible. Bills at #3 equals WAY more money than, say, Washington at #10.

Again, when it's time to re-up, especially if things are going well, why would he leave if the money is right?

When is the last time a Pro Bowl QB left his team as a free agent?

Thief
02-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Exactly thurmal. He would have to play through the last year of his contract and risk a injury. He would then maybe have to play through a tender year without a long term contract. Then through a franchised year, without a long term contract. And, then maybe another frachise year without a contract.

Players, especially QBs in the prime of their careers, do not like playing on one year contracts.

better days
02-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Exactly thurmal. He would have to play through the last year of his contract and risk a injury. He would then maybe have to play through a tender year without a long term contract. Then through a franchised year, without a long term contract. And, then maybe another frachise year without a contract.

Players, especially QBs in the prime of their careers, do not like playing on one year contracts.

With the money Peyton Manning & Tom Brady will command, it will be very tough to franchise a QB unless he is at their level.

What if Newton is GOOD but not Brady/Manning good. If he wants to leave, you would have to overpay Newton as much as the Bills would have had to overpay to keep Clements.

Novacane
02-20-2011, 05:24 PM
It would be nice to have this problem!

Raptor
02-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Once Cam gets here and If all goes well he's a Bill forever in my opinion.

I agree, if he becomes a franchise QB we wont let him leave. I can count on one hand in the past 20 years an actual franchise QB has hit the FA market

better days
02-20-2011, 05:48 PM
It would be nice to have this problem!

I don't think so. As someone that wanted to keep Clements, I was sorry to see him go to the 49ers but I understood the Bills could not pay the money he wanted to keep him because he did not really want to be in Buffalo. It would be much worse in my opinion to lose a QB because he would not be worth the money it would cost to keep him.

DrGraves
02-20-2011, 07:36 PM
lets just make the playoffs in the first place before we worry about this

casdhf
02-20-2011, 08:59 PM
With the money Peyton Manning & Tom Brady will command, it will be very tough to franchise a QB unless he is at their level.

What if Newton is GOOD but not Brady/Manning good. If he wants to leave, you would have to overpay Newton as much as the Bills would have had to overpay to keep Clements. Not that there won't be a new Manning or Brady by then, but I think both those guys will be retired by the time Newton's deal is up.

better days
02-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Not that there won't be a new Manning or Brady by then, but I think both those guys will be retired by the time Newton's deal is up.

That is most likely true, but as you said the next guys in line such as Rogers will cause that figure to go up even further rather than come down.

imbondz
02-20-2011, 11:07 PM
I'll play along...

I think if Buffalo drafts him he holds out and demands a trade to another team right from the start.

I don't see that at all. Newton seems like a passionate kid, with an ego that wants to help teams and organizations. I don't see him as a cry baby like a Cutler.

TigerJ
02-20-2011, 11:18 PM
I don't think we know enough about Newton's character, or the character of his father to know for certain how Newton will react at the end of a five year rookie deal. His dad appears to be no saint, but I don't think anyone is purely evil any more than I believe anyone besides Jesus is purely good. Nix will need to sit down with Newton and get the best read that he can on what makes him tick, and then decide accordingly, if he really is interested in him at #3 overall.