PDA

View Full Version : Gap Control Defense Explained

DraftBoy
02-20-2011, 06:18 PM
With our move to the 3-4 from the 4-3 last year we made a lot of wholesale changes on our defense and something Ive noticed is that a few posters aren't as familiar with some of the technical changes and responsibilities as others. This is a link to a basic overview of how the different gaps work and align;

http://football.about.com/od/intermediateinstruction/a/Defensive-Gap-Control.htm

A far more comprehensive dissection of how it works was actually done by Ingtar33 but I couldn't find the post he made years ago.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-20-2011, 06:55 PM
say buffalo goes qb and takes newton, what 5 technique players are worth getting in rds 2-4?

also draft boy, i know stephen paea is only 6'1 but gailey/nix said they would not let supposed misfits alter his picks, he would just take the best players. paea seems so strong i wonder if buffalo would use him as a 5 tech, because he is better than ballard or lawrence guy...

also could kenrich ellis play 5tech, or what if phil taylor slips, would buffalo pass on him just becasue hes a nt? couldnt they move him to de? it just seems that the best 1 tech, nts are better than the 2-4th rd supposed 5 tech...

DraftBoy
02-20-2011, 07:02 PM
say buffalo goes qb and takes newton, what 5 technique players are worth getting in rds 2-4?

also draft boy, i know stephen paea is only 6'1 but gailey/nix said they would not let supposed misfits alter his picks, he would just take the best players. paea seems so strong i wonder if buffalo would use him as a 5 tech, because he is better than ballard or lawrence guy...

also could kenrich ellis play 5tech, or what if phil taylor slips, would buffalo pass on him just becasue hes a nt? couldnt they move him to de? it just seems that the best 1 tech, nts are better than the 2-4th rd supposed 5 tech...

I dont think Paea makes much sense as a 5 tech, he's strong but doesnt have very long arms, isn't overly quick and Im not a huge fan of his ability to disengage.

Ellis could play the 5, but I think he's the best NT in the draft. Taylor could be move to 5 tech as well (ala Ngata though Ellis makes more sense), but I dont like Taylor's motor and drive on every play.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-20-2011, 07:06 PM
I dont think Paea makes much sense as a 5 tech, he's strong but doesnt have very long arms, isn't overly quick and Im not a huge fan of his ability to disengage.

Ellis could play the 5, but I think he's the best NT in the draft. Taylor could be move to 5 tech as well (ala Ngata though Ellis makes more sense), but I dont like Taylor's motor and drive on every play.

i see cbs has ellis as a 2-3 pick would you take him in the 2nd if hes there? kinda high for d2 but still... btw i just dont think heyward will last till our 2nd. i think new england will snatch him up... sucks but thats what will probably happen..

question though, dont you think paea is better than ellis? thats what the dilemma is, seems like the nts are better than the 5tech like ballard, bailey, ellis, jenkins...

do you think buffalo will just draft the most stout dlineman regardless if he is a 1tech and just use him all over as a 5tech backup?

DraftBoy
02-21-2011, 07:31 AM
i see cbs has ellis as a 2-3 pick would you take him in the 2nd if hes there? kinda high for d2 but still... btw i just dont think heyward will last till our 2nd. i think new england will snatch him up... sucks but thats what will probably happen..

question though, dont you think paea is better than ellis? thats what the dilemma is, seems like the nts are better than the 5tech like ballard, bailey, ellis, jenkins...

do you think buffalo will just draft the most stout dlineman regardless if he is a 1tech and just use him all over as a 5tech backup?

Ellis didnt play in D2, he played in FCS, and he was originally a top recruit at South Carolina before he got dimissed from the team.

I know that, I think I mocked NYJ taking Heyward at 30.

God no I dont think Paea is better than Ellis, not even close.

I think Buffalo takes the best DL that fits their system. You dont just take guys to take them, they have to fit in some regard.

NOT THE DUDE...
02-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Ellis didnt play in D2, he played in FCS, and he was originally a top recruit at South Carolina before he got dimissed from the team.

I know that, I think I mocked NYJ taking Heyward at 30.

God no I dont think Paea is better than Ellis, not even close.

I think Buffalo takes the best DL that fits their system. You dont just take guys to take them, they have to fit in some regard.

would you be comfortable with ellis in rd 2 or 3? he should be there in the late 60s right?

Forward_Lateral
02-21-2011, 06:21 PM
It's funny how some people think a dominant 4-3 DE will automatically fit a 3-4 Defense. The End spot in a 3-4 is completely different from the End in a 4-3. Totally different gap and contain responsibilities.

Forward_Lateral
02-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Same with DT, for that matter.

DraftBoy
02-22-2011, 07:29 AM
would you be comfortable with ellis in rd 2 or 3? he should be there in the late 60s right?

I would.