PDA

View Full Version : The report on Mallett you've all been waiting on

DraftBoy
02-22-2011, 10:25 AM
http://www.101espn.com/post/78404_combine_concerns_offensive_players

Ryan Mallett: While this young man might have the most natural skill set of all the quarterbacks, I have two major concerns.

1. Maturity, both on and off the field. You can learn a lot about a person just by the way they walk into a room, and how they present themselves to others they have never met. Maturity level and confidence just pops out at you, or it doesn’t. His inconsistency in leading his team to victory or making poor decisions at the most vital time of the game really sends up a red flag.

2. Character and drug use issues are starting to rear their ugly head. Heavy rumors of drug use and possible addiction kept him from coming out for the 2010 draft. A lot of people are comparing Mallett to Ryan Leaf. I think Ryan was a better football player, with a cannon for an arm but the immaturity was just too much to overcome. A hair facial test might tell all 32 teams who this person really is.

Softli is former a scout and NFL Executive and was a finalist for the Rams GM job last time it was up, so that's his cred.

X-Era
02-22-2011, 10:38 AM
http://www.101espn.com/post/78404_combine_concerns_offensive_players

Softli is former a scout and NFL Executive and was a finalist for the Rams GM job last time it was up, so that's his cred.Not at all surprised.

TheGhostofJimKelly
02-22-2011, 10:39 AM
This kid has all the talent in the world, if he gets his head on straight, I see him being a very productive NFL career.

justasportsfan
02-22-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure if making bad decisions under pressure is something that can be fixed. Bledsoe never fixed that.

k-oneputt
02-22-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm not sure if making bad decisions under pressure is something that can be fixed. Bledsoe never fixed that.

All qb's make bad decisions under pressure.

The question is the level of drugs usuage. Is he a herion addict or did he like to smoke some weed in college ?

There are many great qb's who had issues with substances in college.

Night Train
02-22-2011, 11:14 AM
In crunch time against Alabama, Ohio St. and several other games, he threw costly INT's and showed little to no poise.

Looks like Tarzan. Plays like Jane.

Sell

justasportsfan
02-22-2011, 11:16 AM
All qb's make bad decisions under pressure.

Not as bad as Drew. When I mean pressure ,I'm not just talking pressure from the defense either. Pressure during crunch time and the qb needs to step it up. Thats where Drew was awful and that the knock on Mallet.

madness
02-22-2011, 11:34 AM
This kid has all the talent in the world, if he gets his head on straight, I see him being a very productive NFL career.

Unfortunately, it's been rumored he had the same problems dating back to his freshman year at Michigan. JMO, but I wouldn't go near him on draft day.

TacklingDummy
02-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Wasn't all these things known before?

Prov401
02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
I believe only Newton and Mallett will be the only QB's in this draft that will eventually get a long tenure as their team's QB.

Beebe's Kid
02-22-2011, 12:39 PM
I say **** it. Take him. We are the Buffalo Bills...we have been beating the odds for over 50 years. Things like "red flags" are only meant to propagate fear, and leave Mallett on the board.

We need a QB more than anything, so take him. What's the worst that could happen?

I do reserve the right to change my mind if the tape shows different...should be rolling in any day now.

DraftBoy
02-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Wasn't all these things known before?

Rumored not reported. Big differences.

Bill Cody
02-22-2011, 02:18 PM
I say **** it. Take him. We are the Buffalo Bills...we have been beating the odds for over 50 years. Things like "red flags" are only meant to propagate fear, and leave Mallett on the board.

We need a QB more than anything, so take him. What's the worst that could happen?

I do reserve the right to change my mind if the tape shows different...should be rolling in any day now.

no

bflojohn
02-22-2011, 03:15 PM
If this report is accurate, he will slip, quite frankly, right out of the draft! Another Jevon Snead might rear its ugly head. At best, he'll be a 3rd day draft pick. Keep away, a very, very safe distance!!

Dr. Lecter
02-22-2011, 03:16 PM

The Bills waste another draft pick?

Why take somebody that everybody knows is a POS?

TacklingDummy
02-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Rumored not reported. Big differences.
Not really but ok.

Wouldn't what this guy reported be considered a rumor? hell it says rumored right in it.

"Heavy rumors of drug use and possible addiction kept him from coming out for the 2010 draft."

TacklingDummy
02-22-2011, 03:20 PM
The Bills waste another draft pick?

Why take somebody that everybody knows is a POS?
If he's there in the 2nd then I'd have no problem taking the gamble on him.

alohabillsfan
02-22-2011, 03:39 PM
I dont want him anyways...

DraftBoy
02-22-2011, 03:45 PM
Not really but ok.

Wouldn't what you think the guy reported be considered a rumor? hell it says rumored right in it.

"Heavy rumors of drug use and possible addiction kept him from coming out for the 2010 draft."

You're not following.

Nobody can confirm he has a drug issue without evidence. The rumors have been swirling about it, but nobody has come out and actually said it. That changed with this article.

You may not think its a big deal, and in reality its not, but in the draft world where everything has double and triple meaning this is a huge deal.

Philagape
02-22-2011, 03:52 PM

Severely damaging the team's chances of getting better.

starrymessenger
02-22-2011, 04:15 PM
"Heavy rumours of drug use and possible addiction..." Given that he has been in the spotlight for years anything sounding this serious should be verifiable and even in the public domain. And, as a self described "rumour" how do you verify it. How is it that none of these "rumours" ever wind up being corroberated with facts.
What we do know is that people also say hes stupid. But he has a high grade point average and he mastered Petrino's massive playbook (no mean accomplishment) when his successor has been unable to do so after three years of trying. Maybe not all small town Texas boys are unintelligent even if they do sound that way to us northerners.
They say he is a statue. Well he's hardly a threat to run and teams won't have to game plan for that but actually he moves very well bewteen the tackles and mechanically he can throw on the run, even if he is not fast. He has a TD to Int ratio of 5:0 in 2010 when throwing outside the pocket.
And, oh yeah, I almost forgot. He is one of the best pure passers on the planet, today, right now, and he's just a kid. Never saw Cam throw a slant, a pass requiring a quick read/release and accuracy. Mallett does it with ease.
If the guy is a hibitual drug addict that's really bad, mostly for him. If the pro talent evaluators have that reliable inside info that we lack confirming this, he will, and should, drop like a stone. Tampa Bay got themselves a HOF tackle purely on the basis of unconfirmed and unsubstantiated reports of Sapp's drug use. If the problem, even if real, is not serious, then maybe he turns out like Marino who was surrounded by similar rumours.
In a nutshell, what the FOs need to do is figure out whether he has or can develop the maturity to lead an NFL team. If he's in effect a criminal he will not be able to do that. Assuming he checks out on maturity, they have to address his mobility issues. His footwork does need work. He seems to have size eighteen cletes and they look heavy at times. Peyton is not mobile either but has very quick feet to go along with his quick mind.

TigerJ
02-22-2011, 05:15 PM
My guess is that nobody's going to touch him in the first round. The big question is how far is he going to fall?

starrymessenger
02-22-2011, 05:20 PM
My guess is that nobody's going to touch him in the first round. The big question is how far is he going to fall?
If he's not a proven drug addict and does not come across as a complete a-hole in interviews, he will definitely go in the first. If he is there at #34, which I doubt, brace yourself because I think Buddy jumps. He will look at him and see Philip Rivers, someone he knows and likes.

Thief
02-22-2011, 06:35 PM
What the hell is a "hair facial test"? Are we trying to make sure he hit puberty?

Slim
02-22-2011, 06:42 PM
What the hell is a "hair facial test"? Are we trying to make sure he hit puberty?

You can test for drugs with a hair follicle.

Thief
02-22-2011, 07:57 PM
You're not following.

Nobody can confirm he has a drug issue without evidence. The rumors have been swirling about it, but nobody has come out and actually said it. That changed with this article.

You may not think its a big deal, and in reality its not, but in the draft world where everything has double and triple meaning this is a huge deal.Who came out and said it?

“Heavy rumors of drug use and possible addiction (http://www.101espn.com/post/78404_combine_concerns_offensive_players) kept [Mallett] from coming out for the 2010 draft,” Softli writes.
Again, no one is saying that Mallett has used drugs.
~ Mike Florio, the King of rumors.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/page/2/

Thief
02-22-2011, 07:59 PM
You can test for drugs with a hair follicle.I understand that, but what does that have to do with a "facial"?

DraftBoy
02-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Who came out and said it?

~ Mike Florio, the King of rumors.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/page/2/

He quoted what Softli wrote...

Thief
02-22-2011, 08:15 PM
He quoted what Softli wrote...Dude, did you read the next sentence?

Are you saying you are the authority on rumors over Florio?

Do you get the question?

You read the same article as he, and you came away with "but nobody has come out and actually said it. That changed with this article."

However, he came away with "Again, no one is saying that Mallett has used drugs."

I'm not trying to insult you, just saying no one can name a source for the claim.

DraftBoy
02-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Dude, did you read the next sentence?

Are you saying you are the authority on rumors over Florio?

Do you get the question?

You read the same article as he, and you came away with "but nobody has come out and actually said it. That changed with this article."

However, he came away with "Again, no one is saying that Mallett has used drugs."

I'm not trying to insult you, just saying no one can name a source for the claim.

:What: :The: :Hell: :Is: :The: :Damn: :Word: :For: :The: :Banging: :My: :Head: :Against: :A: :Wall: :Smiley: :?:

Scumbag College
02-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Warren Sapp was going to be a Top 3 pick and there were "rumors" about him smoking some doobies. He dropped into the mid to late first round. He turned out to be a damn good DT.

If you have a chance at the beginning of the second round to get a potential franchise QB, you have to go for it. Hell, Mike Vick tortured animals and went to federal prison for two years and after getting out was second in MVP voting. Who amongst you didn't do stupid **** in high school and college?

k-oneputt
02-22-2011, 10:19 PM
If he falls to the Bills in the 2nd rd they have to take a shot on him. He has to much talent not to and he plays the most important position. And for all the bad draft picks this team makes, why wouldn't they take a chance on a kid with an arm like that.

Dr. Lecter
02-23-2011, 05:16 AM
If he falls to the Bills in the 2nd rd they have to take a shot on him. He has to much talent not to and he plays the most important position. And for all the bad draft picks this team makes, why wouldn't they take a chance on a kid with an arm like that.
Because it takes much more than arm strength to make a good NFL QB.

If a guy with that much talent drops, maybe it is a hint.

Ickybaluky
02-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Warren Sapp was going to be a Top 3 pick and there were "rumors" about him smoking some doobies. He dropped into the mid to late first round. He turned out to be a damn good DT.

Dan Marino is another one who fell, and Miami got a real steal.

The flip side is guys like Art Schlichter, who had real problems and could not overcome them.

If NFL teams have any question as to whether the guy has a real addiction they will lay off, because drafting him and giving him a lot of money is probably not going to solve it.

k-oneputt
02-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Because it takes much more than arm strength to make a good NFL QB.

If a guy with that much talent drops, maybe it is a hint.

The only reason he would possibly drop to the 2nd is the rumours.
Physically he has the skills to work with and would be a good prospect to learn behind Fitz next year.
So if your "hint" comes through it's because he has a full blown drug habit.

I don't think he drops to the 2nd rd. To many bad qb's in the league and somebody will take him in the 1st.

TigerJ
02-23-2011, 07:55 AM
He's definitely not killing me softli with his love.

better days
02-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Physically he has the skills to work with and would be a good prospect to learn behind Fitz next year.

I don't think he drops to the 2nd rd. To many bad qb's in the league and somebody will take him in the 1st.

I think the NFL will do a through check on his background but he could still drop if teams do not like the way he interviewed or if he does poorly on the wonderlic.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 08:52 AM

I don't think he drops to the 2nd rd. To many bad qb's in the league and somebody will take him in the 1st.I think he could end up being the 4th QB taken. I think off the field issues may push him below Locker. And at that point, the teams from mid 1 to the bottom of round 1 really don't need QB's. So I could see Mallett and maybe Locker both being there at 34.

But it's still changing. The final answer on how teams feel about Mallett may not come until draft day.

better days
02-23-2011, 09:26 AM
I think he could end up being the 4th QB taken. I think off the field issues may push him below Locker. And at that point, the teams from mid 1 to the bottom of round 1 really don't need QB's. So I could see Mallett and maybe Locker both being there at 34.

But it's still changing. The final answer on how teams feel about Mallett may not come until draft day.

I think Seattle is the team with the lowest pick that needs a QB. Locker VS Mallett, two entirely different types of QB & Locker is a local boy so they may well go with him. Locker would definately bring more hype to the Seahawks for their fans than Mallett would.

Bert102176
02-23-2011, 06:19 PM

were there not red flags around Aaron Rodgers wasn't that why teams passed by him, he is a SB winning QB now, there were red flags on Warren Sapp he slipped but look how his carear was if he is there in the 3rd round take a chance.

Bert102176
02-25-2011, 02:11 AM
he could be amazing but who knows the way the bills are if they draft him he will most likely suck and if we don't draft him he will most likely win a super bowl

Bill Cody
02-25-2011, 10:26 AM
he could be amazing but who knows the way the bills are if they draft him he will most likely suck and if we don't draft him he will most likely win a super bowl

Pretty sure they don't call the championship game in arena league the super bowl.