PDA

View Full Version : Newton ready to perform at Combine.

Extremebillsfan247
02-22-2011, 12:12 PM
In the race to be the first quarterback selected in the 2011 NFL Draft, Auburn's Cam Newton is getting a head start over Missouri' Blaine Gabbert. Newton will be throwing at the Combine while Gabbert has opted not to according to Rob Rang of cbssports.com. http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/27602423

justasportsfan
02-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Gabbert wont be throwing, maybe he'll fall to us in the 2nd.

trapezeus
02-22-2011, 01:56 PM
i'd be interesting to know which players historically dropped out of performing at the combine and then flamed out/still had success.

is it really ahorrible thing to not showcase your talent in the combine?

better days
02-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Smart move by Newtons team to have him throw at the Combine. There would have been a lot of negative publicity if he refused to do so after throwing for the media.

I think Gabbert is making a big mistake to not throw there & it may cost him come draft day.

justasportsfan
02-22-2011, 02:05 PM
After all, the agency that represents Gabbert -- Creative Artists Agency -- has represented several quarterbacks in recent years who elected not to work out at the Combine and successfully boosted their stock with strong Pro Day performances. Recent CAA quarterbacks include Sam Bradford, Matt Stafford and Matt Ryan. Each elected not to throw in Indianapolis. Bradford and Stafford were the No. 1 overall picks of the 2010 and 2009 drafts, respectively. Ryan was the first quarterback selected and the third overall pick in 2008.

Extremebillsfan247
02-22-2011, 02:22 PM
i'd be interesting to know which players historically dropped out of performing at the combine and then flamed out/still had success.

is it really ahorrible thing to not showcase your talent in the combine? Well Stafford, Bradford, and Ryan all opted out. As far as whether its a horrible decision I think depends on the individual prospect. One of the possible reasons QBs do opt out is that at the combine, you don't get to throw to receivers your comfortable with, its all based on rotation of who goes first, second, etc. Some QBs just want to do those drills with receivers they are comfortable throwing to, so they elect to perform these drills at a pro day in more suitable surroundings for that QB. So, I think its a matter of preference.

However, if you have a lot of unanswered questions from scouts and teams still on the table, the combine is a great opportunity to answer a majority of them. At the combine, scouts are concentrating more on footwork, and zip on the ball rather than pass completion according to Mike Mayock. Watching this little tidbit based on individual drills and workouts at the combine can answer a lot of questions. http://www.nfl.com/combine/workouts?module=HP_headlines (http://www.nfl.com/combine/workouts?module=HP_headlines)
Check out Position Drills/QB. Its a pretty cool explanation of the drills they go through, the purpose of running them, and what teams and scouts look for. JMO

justasportsfan
02-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Mayock has Gabbert and Locker ranked ahead of Newton. Maybe some teams agree .

Ingtar33
02-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Newton: "I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon.''

wait. Newton said that?!

good god. I don't think i've ever prayed over a draft pick... i might just start to pray we don't draft Cameron Newton.

Jaybird
02-22-2011, 07:10 PM
I have no doubt that he will be impressive at the combine. Having said that, can you guys please remember that Mayock has said that Jemarcus Russel had the most impressive workout he has ever seen from a QB however would have never drafted him in the first round... enough said

X-Era
02-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Gabbert wont be throwing, maybe he'll fall to us in the 2nd.highly unlikely IMO.

X-Era
02-22-2011, 07:25 PM
wait. Newton said that?!

good god. I don't think i've ever prayed over a draft pick... i might just start to pray we don't draft Cameron Newton.IMO, this falls into the category of those that didn't like him before now have added fuel for their fire.

Wouldn't you say you wouldn't like Newton at 3 before and now will pray it doesn't happen?

If anyone liked Newton at 3 and has just changed their mind based on this quote, speak up.

X-Era
02-22-2011, 07:30 PM
I have no doubt that he will be impressive at the combine. Having said that, can you guys please remember that Mayock has said that Jemarcus Russel had the most impressive workout he has ever seen from a QB however would have never drafted him in the first round... enough saidWhy is that enough said? Tom Brady had the worst combine workout ever and all the teams skipped him until the 6th round.

If anything it shows that the whole thing is a crapshoot and the best you can do is to put your faith in doing your best to get it right... but you will both succeed and fail, all teams do.

Prov401
02-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Gabbert is smart. He knows that his stock has soared for absolutely no reason, and he has everything to lose going to the combine. Smart move by a coward.

X-Era
02-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Gabbert is smart. He knows that his stock has soared for absolutely no reason, and he has everything to lose going to the combine. Smart move by a coward.Wow. His stock has soared because he has a lot to offer as a potential NFL QB.

Jaybird
02-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Why is that enough said? Tom Brady had the worst combine workout ever and all the teams skipped him until the 6th round.

If anything it shows that the whole thing is a crapshoot and the best you can do is to put your faith in doing your best to get it right... but you will both succeed and fail, all teams do.

my point is.. dont fall in love with him from what he does in the combine.. The combine is very overrated... what players do on the filed is what counts

X-Era
02-22-2011, 07:54 PM
my point is.. dont fall in love with him from what he does in the combine.. The combine is very overrated... what players do on the filed is what counts It's all information. Some is worth more than others. Teams take it all in, and make their decisions.

But yes, what players do on the field counts for more IMO.

psubills62
02-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Auburn QB Cam Newton told SI's Peter King Tuesday that he sees himself "not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon."

Responding to a question about his limited experience, Newton also tells Yahoo's Dan Wetzel: "Not to sound arrogant, but what I did in one year others couldn't do in their entire collegiate careers." Together, the two quotes may put a screeching halt to Newton's upward momentum. Teams clearly have concerns about Newton's priorities and character as well as his team of handlers. The mentality that fostered entertainment icon LeBron's "Decision" may play in the NBA, but it won't fly with NFL scouts and coaches. If Newton is so dead-set on reaching icon status, he should study the careers of Brian Bosworth and Ryan Leaf.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6491/cam-newton

Yikes.

Prov401
02-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Wow. His stock has soared because he has a lot to offer as a potential NFL QB.

His stock has soared because Luck dropped out, Mallett has mental issues, and Locker fell of the face of the Earth. He can make a case to be drafted number 1 just like Cam is trying to do. He isn't because he knows money will be lost.

True story.

Figster
02-22-2011, 08:32 PM
wait. Newton said that?!

good god. I don't think i've ever prayed over a draft pick... i might just start to pray we don't draft Cameron Newton.

Wouldn't you say QB's like Brady, Manning and Rodgers are icons? Cam Newton is already idolized in Alabama.

NFL Football players are all entertainers.

Note: Funny how one or two words can be twisted around. (by SI) What Cam actually said : I want to be an entertainer and an icon. (big difference)

X-Era
02-22-2011, 08:43 PM
His stock has soared because Luck dropped out, Mallett has mental issues, and Locker fell of the face of the Earth. He can make a case to be drafted number 1 just like Cam is trying to do. He isn't because he knows money will be lost.

True story.IMO, as someone following the prospects throughout the year, he has been a 1st round pick for half the season at least. The talent is there to warrant a 1st round selection.

Prov401
02-22-2011, 09:34 PM
IMO, as someone following the prospects throughout the year, he has been a 1st round pick for half the season at least. The talent is there to warrant a 1st round selection.

Against four top-35 defenses (Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma State and Navy) Gabbert completed just 46.3 percent of his attempts for an average of 208.5 yards. The Tigers lost all those games.

He's a Tony Romo clone. Probably even worse. His pocket presence blows.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 05:40 AM
Against four top-35 defenses (Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma State and Navy) Gabbert completed just 46.3 percent of his attempts for an average of 208.5 yards. The Tigers lost all those games.

He's a Tony Romo clone. Probably even worse. His pocket presence blows.Heres my comments on him.

I disagree.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=3290932#post3290932

cgbm
02-23-2011, 06:58 AM
either way were talking about taking gabbert in the second round right?

as we have stated many times in the past few months.

2nd - 7th rnd qbs do not fair well. there are exceptions but the stats are against us with overwhelming results.

if we take a qb we need to do it in the first round.

i know x_era thinks that gabbert is worthy of the 3 pick. but imo he isnt worth a 1st rnd pick. like our boy just said, gabbert does not do well against big teams (all teams are big in the nfl) and he isnt a winner. if you cant pull it off in college, the transition will be tough.

and with all that said. the guy doesnt show to the combine. he is out of his mind. his talent and ability is a must question. and now with his one chance to prove he has it, he doesnt take it.

fine blane, dont show up, dont shut the haters up, but dont be mad when you dont get picked.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 07:16 AM
I stand by my statement. I think he will be drafted in the top 10 of the 1st round (Gabbert).

Has everything you look for simply needs more polish. And for a team like the Bills that use a spread set so much, his college offense may be a boon not a bane.

better days
02-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I stand by my statement. I think he will be drafted in the top 10 of the 1st round (Gabbert).

Has everything you look for simply needs more polish. And for a team like the Bills that use a spread set so much, his college offense may be a boon not a bane.

If the Bills do not take a QB in the 1st & Newton & Gabbert are both gone at 34, I would not be surprised if the Bills take Ponder there. Chan had him in the Senior Bowl & he looked pretty good.

justasportsfan
02-23-2011, 11:01 AM

Kaepernick in the 3rd.

Prov401
02-23-2011, 01:03 PM
If the Bills do not take a QB in the 1st & Newton & Gabbert are both gone at 34, I would not be surprised if the Bills take Ponder there. Chan had him in the Senior Bowl & he looked pretty good.

Ponder is not worth the 34th pick.

cgbm
02-23-2011, 03:36 PM
ponder prolly isnt worth the 34th pick. but in honesty again we dont need a qb out of the first. they just dont suceed

better days
02-23-2011, 03:41 PM
ponder prolly isnt worth the 34th pick. but in honesty again we dont need a qb out of the first. they just dont suceed

If the Bills are ready to give up on Brohm they will need at least a back up. I have not been a fan of Ponder, being a Gator fan, but he is smart & if healthy should make at least a good back up, maybe more.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 03:41 PM
ponder prolly isnt worth the 34th pick. but in honesty again we dont need a qb out of the first. they just dont suceedIf we go QB out of the 1st round, I'd probably go with Locker and then Kaepernick in that order.

better days
02-23-2011, 03:44 PM
If we go QB out of the 1st round, I'd probably go with Locker and then Kaepernick in that order.

I would take Ponder over Locker myself. Talk about being inaccurate.........that is Locker in a nutshell.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 03:48 PM
I would take Ponder over Locker myself. Talk about being inaccurate.........that is Locker in a nutshell.Ponder was falt out horrible at times this year. Locker at least has upside in his mobility and arm strength. Ponder really scares me... more than Locker.

Bill Cody
02-23-2011, 03:51 PM
He's a Tony Romo clone.

Awesome. I'd take him as an UDFA like Romo was.

better days
02-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Ponder was falt out horrible at times this year. Locker at least has upside in his mobility and arm strength. Ponder really scares me... more than Locker.

Well he would me as well, if I did not know he played injured most of the year. What is Lockers excuse?

mush69
02-23-2011, 05:11 PM
wait. Newton said that?!

I've been on my knees since the Auburn vs Oregon game. I can't stand this kid and I think he will be nothing in 5 years. If it wasn't for Vick's time away from the game he would be done. QB's of this type don't last in the NFL, where is Vince Youg, Steve McNair (rip), or any other run first throw 2nd college QB.

Pass him up and get some defense in the first round!

Figster
02-24-2011, 11:45 AM
RotoWorld/Panthers will host Cam Newton

Chan tightens the QB vest/BuffaloNews.com

http://www.lockerpulse.com/News/Chan-tightens-QB-vest-S848383/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffalo-Bills

What does he think of Auburn's Newton? "I’m anxious to see him continue to work out. I’m anxious to see what he’s going to do here this week. But he obviously had a great year. I watched him several times on TV. I’ve not studied him to this point yet. I’ve looked at a little bit of tape but not studied him. He’s a big athlete that is in that wildcat mode but obviously has the ability maybe to go to the dropback passer mode."
Gailey said Newton's throwing motion is excellent. "His mechanics are fine. He has no mechanical flaws. He has all the physical attributes."