PDA

View Full Version : Gil Brandt would be “shocked” if Cam Newton isn’t taken first overall

Slim
02-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Gil Brandt is a draft guru. I remember a few years go nobody had Tyson Jackson going in the top 15, then Brandt said there's a chance he could go #3 overall. This guy knows what he's talking about.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/22/gil-brandt-would-be-shocked-if-cam-newton-isnt-taken-first-overall/

THATHURMANATOR
02-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Great we can't even get the QB no one wants......

Ebenezer
02-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Gil Brandt is more than just a draft guru...

Slim
02-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Gil Brandt is more than just a draft guru...
Agreed. I figured most knew who he was from his Dallas days.

psubills62
02-22-2011, 01:38 PM
I'd be somewhat surprised, but as a Bills fan, I'd be happy about that. Forces better players down to us, and then we wouldn't have to hear all the complaining about how we didn't take him.

Ebenezer
02-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Agreed. I figured most knew who he was from his Dallas days.
I think it's been more than 10 years since he was with the Cowboys.

Extremebillsfan247
02-22-2011, 01:44 PM
If Cam went to Carolina, what would be the chance that Fairley could slip to us at 3? Just wondering if it would be slim to none, or a realistic possibility.

Ebenezer
02-22-2011, 01:45 PM
If he went to Carolina, what would be the chance that Fairley could slip to us at 3? Just wondering if it would be slim to none, or a realistic possibility.
realistic...it'd be 50/50 at worst.

soapman
02-22-2011, 01:49 PM
FAIRLEY = HAYNESWORTH

Raptor
02-22-2011, 01:52 PM
FAIRLEY = HAYNESWORTH

Fairley has bust written all over him, pass all the way

Joe Fo Sho
02-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Best news I've heard this week.

THATHURMANATOR
02-22-2011, 02:43 PM
If Cam went to Carolina, what would be the chance that Fairley could slip to us at 3? Just wondering if it would be slim to none, or a realistic possibility.
Fairley doen't even fit our system does he?

TacklingDummy
02-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Gil Brandt is a draft guru. I remember a few years go nobody had Tyson Jackson going in the top 15, then Brandt said there's a chance he could go #3 overall. This guy knows what he's talking about.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/22/gil-brandt-would-be-shocked-if-cam-newton-isnt-taken-first-overall/
I'd also be shocked if Newton doesn't go 1st overall. Carolina needs someone to bring in the crowd. Newton is that man.

Thief
02-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Fairley doen't even fit our system does he?Sure. He would be a beast of a 3-4 DE.

Extremebillsfan247
02-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Fairley doen't even fit our system does he?You know what? I'm not all too certain the Bills would draft him even if he did fall to 3. I do like how he plays though. The reason I'm not sure the Bills would draft him is because we already went that route last year with drafting Troup who I hear the Bills are planning on starting this coming season if there is one. JMO

Philagape
02-22-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm souring on Fairley as well. I'd take Dareus or even Jordan before him.

Prov401
02-22-2011, 04:05 PM
I've said all along Newton is going to Carolina with the first pick.

The kid can play.

jmb1099
02-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Do we even have a system?

starrymessenger
02-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Looks to me like Gil is saying two things: 1) Cam has first overall talent and 2) we don't know if he has what it takes above the shoulders to be a true, professional NFL QB. I don't know that 1) is a no brainer, but we can go with it. 2) is what has everybody in the football world scared ****less. I) and 2) together sure doesn't sound like 1st overall to me.

Mr. Miyagi
02-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Here's the best part: Carolina takes Newton, Andrew Luck drops to us next year at #2.

starrymessenger
02-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Here's the best part: Carolina takes Newton, Andrew Luck drops to us next year at #2.
Not what Buddy wants. He doesn't have forever.

X-Era
02-22-2011, 04:57 PM
I think Gil will be shocked. Carolina will head in another direction IMO.

But I also think a few around here may be shocked if he doesn't drop past us.

better days
02-22-2011, 05:21 PM
I think Gil will be shocked. Carolina will head in another direction IMO.

But I also think a few around here may be shocked if he doesn't drop past us.

If Newton covinces people he has learned from his mistakes & has a decent wonderlic, I would not be surprised if Carolina takes him at #1. Carolina needs a QB much more than the Bills do. While Fitz may be mediocre, Claussen is TERRIBLE & the Panthers will have a hard time selling seats with him at QB.

Philagape
02-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Nor would I be shocked. One thing that's undeniable about Newton is his star power, and the resulting hype machine.

starrymessenger
02-22-2011, 05:28 PM
If Newton covinces people he has learned from his mistakes & has a decent wonderlic, I would not be surprised if Carolina takes him at #1. Carolina needs a QB much more than the Bills do. While Fitz may be mediocre, Claussen is TERRIBLE & the Panthers will have a hard time selling seats with him at QB.
Give Claussen a break. Last year doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Peyton Manning threw 28 picks his first year. Probably lots of folks thought he was a dud. Carolina, who also drafted Pike, will not be drafting Cam 1 overall IMO.

better days
02-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Give Claussen a break. Last year doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Peyton Manning threw 28 picks his first year. Probably lots of folks thought he was a dud. Carolina, who also drafted Pike, will not be drafting Cam 1 overall IMO.

The fact Carolina drafted those two is proof that it is better to draft no QB than a bad QB. Neither of them will ever amount to anything more than a back up in the NFL. I know you don't think Claussen will become the next Peyton Manning.

A team does not pass on a potential franchise QB when Claussen & Pike are the two QB's on the team IMO.

SABURZFAN
02-22-2011, 05:40 PM

yeah... neither did Ngata. :hang:

ublinkwescore
02-22-2011, 05:50 PM

I really doubt we'll be drafting #2 over all next year. this team has made some very big strides, and held their own against some playoff quality teams. (Chicago, KC, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England the first time).

Look for us to be drafting around #13-17 overall if there's a season next year.

X-Era
02-22-2011, 05:58 PM
If Newton covinces people he has learned from his mistakes & has a decent wonderlic, I would not be surprised if Carolina takes him at #1. Carolina needs a QB much more than the Bills do. While Fitz may be mediocre, Claussen is TERRIBLE & the Panthers will have a hard time selling seats with him at QB.And if he proves that and drops to us, you're good with us taking him?

X-Era
02-22-2011, 05:59 PM
I really doubt we'll be drafting #2 over all next year. this team has made some very big strides, and held their own against some playoff quality teams. (Chicago, KC, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England the first time).

Look for us to be drafting around #13-17 overall if there's a season next year.Totally agree.

better days
02-22-2011, 06:33 PM
And if he proves that and drops to us, you're good with us taking him?

I have said this before, YES. If Buddy & Chan draft him, I'm on board.

I realize people can mature & learn from their mistakes. God knows I have made my share in my day. I just don't like people dismissing his mistakes as if they never happened or they don't mean anything. Newton will have to convince the NFL that he is not that guy anymore.

don137
02-22-2011, 08:00 PM
If Carolina takes Newton and get the #1 overall next year I will bet any amount of money they either draft Luck or trade the pick. Unless Luck suffers a colassal collapse he will be drafted #1 overall.

X-Era
02-22-2011, 08:03 PM

I realize people can mature & learn from their mistakes. God knows I have made my share in my day. I just don't like people dismissing his mistakes as if they never happened or they don't mean anything. Newton will have to convince the NFL that he is not that guy anymore.I've been saying that for months... Totally agree :clap:

HAMMER
02-23-2011, 10:04 AM
The fact Carolina drafted those two is proof that it is better to draft no QB than a bad QB. Neither of them will ever amount to anything more than a back up in the NFL. I know you don't think Claussen will become the next Peyton Manning.

A team does not pass on a potential franchise QB when Claussen & Pike are the two QB's on the team IMO.

How is Newton assured to be a franchise QB anymore than Clausen? QB's need time to learn systems and the speed of the NFL. Again, you can't just keep drafting at the same position year after year, it is a guarantee for failure.

FlyingDutchman
02-23-2011, 10:23 AM
becoming a better person is fine and dandy but Im not sold on this kid...Its amazing how everyone forgets how they felt after the national championship game...did anyone here really walk away from that game saying damn I hope we get him at 3? Im not an idiot, I watched him a lot this year and I know hes a good player. However that game was a microcosm of his year...got the job done but doesnt always look the best getting his results...

He was in a very simple (1 read basically) offense which doesnt translate to the pros very well. After his quick read he'd basically tuck it and run and his accuracy hasnt always been the best...Accuracy and smarts are the #1 attributes when scouting a quarterback...Would people really feel comfortable with a top pick (cant miss) draft pick of Cam Newton??

justasportsfan
02-23-2011, 10:38 AM

I realize people can mature & learn from their mistakes. God knows I have made my share in my day. I just don't like people dismissing his mistakes as if they never happened or they don't mean anything. Newton will have to convince the NFL that he is not that guy anymore.

Nix is not a bad talent evaluator based on his past. If he thinks Cam can become a franchise QB, I would have to give Nix the benefit of the doubt. I am also almost sure that if we draft Cam, Chan would have had to give his approval and I'm sure that he can make the most out of Cam's talent.

In the end I think we're drafting Kaepernick :D

X-Era
02-23-2011, 10:40 AM
becoming a better person is fine and dandy but Im not sold on this kid...Its amazing how everyone forgets how they felt after the national championship game...did anyone here really walk away from that game saying damn I hope we get him at 3? Im not an idiot, I watched him a lot this year and I know hes a good player. However that game was a microcosm of his year...got the job done but doesnt always look the best getting his results...

He was in a very simple (1 read basically) offense which doesnt translate to the pros very well. After his quick read he'd basically tuck it and run and his accuracy hasnt always been the best...Accuracy and smarts are the #1 attributes when scouting a quarterback...Would people really feel comfortable with a top pick (cant miss) draft pick of Cam Newton??

I think Cam needs to convince teams he can handle a NFL offense. But I don't think thats the same as saying he can't. I think he does a better job at reading defenses than he's given credit for but in Auburn's offense he didn't get a lot of chances to do that. Is he bright enough? I think he may be, but it also won't surprise me if he isn't. And again, I think it's a matter of how the Bills think he could fit their offense. And since we run a wide set as much as we do, I think we may actually like what he could bring.

If the Bills think the guy has a solid character and will be a positive influence and quality leader, I have no problem with his quarterbacking abilities. Yes, he needs lots of polish and development, but in our situation with Fitz, I think we can give him the time he needs.

k-oneputt
02-23-2011, 10:43 AM
My gut feeling is the Bills are gonna take Newton.

I think Ralph wants a qb and I think this is the qb that Gailey/Nix like the best.
Wouldn't be my pick but like always we will have to hope they finally get one right.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 10:47 AM
My gut feeling is the Bills are gonna take Newton.

I think Ralph wants a qb and I think this is the qb that Gailey/Nix like the best.
Wouldn't be my pick but like always we will have to hope they finally get one right.I would think the Bills might take him if he says and does all the right things leading up to the draft. But he's already saying controversial stuff that may have teams question his character... including the Bills.

FlyingDutchman
02-23-2011, 11:12 AM
I think Cam needs to convince teams he can handle a NFL offense. But I don't think thats the same as saying he can't. I think he does a better job at reading defenses than he's given credit for but in Auburn's offense he didn't get a lot of chances to do that. Is he bright enough? I think he may be, but it also won't surprise me if he isn't. And again, I think it's a matter of how the Bills think he could fit their offense. And since we run a wide set as much as we do, I think we may actually like what he could bring.

If the Bills think the guy has a solid character and will be a positive influence and quality leader, I have no problem with his quarterbacking abilities. Yes, he needs lots of polish and development, but in our situation with Fitz, I think we can give him the time he needs.

fair enough, but with those concerns you have (as major or minor as they may be) do you think risking the 3rd overall pick is worth it?...im not denying the kid has ability, and maybe its just been the fact we've been burned year after year, but we CANNOT afford another miss and theres just things that make me wary about him...I dunno, I guess im just missing the warm fuzzy feeling with him

X-Era
02-23-2011, 11:20 AM
fair enough, but with those concerns you have (as major or minor as they may be) do you think risking the 3rd overall pick is worth it?...im not denying the kid has ability, and maybe its just been the fact we've been burned year after year, but we CANNOT afford another miss and theres just things that make me wary about him...I dunno, I guess im just missing the warm fuzzy feeling with himHigher risk? Potentially yes. The warm fuzzy feeling may not come until teams talk about how solid his character is. And that may never come. I am simply willing to trust in Nix and Gailey on that.

Bill Cody
02-23-2011, 12:03 PM
I am simply willing to trust in Nix and Gailey on that.

You're a brave man, props to you. Although that's a bit like going commando on a one nighter with the girl from work that's been stalking you but swears she's on the pill. The best I can muster is hope not trust.

DraftBoy
02-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Gil Brandt is the godfather of the draft, he puts everyone else to shame. When he speaks about something you best damn well listen and take notes.

He says it may happen, Id say its a lot more likely than just a "may" then.

Bill Cody
02-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Gil Brandt is the godfather of the draft, he puts everyone else to shame. When he speaks about something you best damn well listen and take notes.

I'd be a lot more likely to buy that 40 years ago than now.

HAMMER
02-23-2011, 12:39 PM

Then you are a fool, the man is brilliant and as DB states puts everyone else to shame. Just because a man speaks more slowly due to his age doesn't mean he has forgotten what a football player looks like. One of many possible examples, he invited Josh Freeman to the draft because he thought he was a very good player and would be a high pick, many "experts" scoffed. Who was right?

I listen to him a few times a week on Sirius, he and Pat Kirwan are heads and tails above any media when it comes to evaluating talent, and knowledge of how a football team should be run.

It's amazing how people are so willing to put older, more experienced people "out to pasture".

DraftBoy
02-23-2011, 02:06 PM

Then feel free to doubt him and when he proves you and other doubters wrong, you'll know better next time.

Gil Brandt has forgotten more about the NFL draft and prospect evaluation than this entire board combined could ever hope to learn. The man is the best, plain and simple.

k-oneputt
02-23-2011, 02:09 PM
I thought Modrak and his band of simpletons knew more then this whole board.

DraftBoy
02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
I thought Modrak and his band of simpletons knew more then this whole board.

They do, but that does mean anything more or less than the topic on hand which is Gil Brandt not Tom Modrak.

k-oneputt
02-23-2011, 02:16 PM
They do????

I don't agree. Whitner, Maybin, McKelvin no need to go any further.

I would take Brandt today over what we have.

Bill Cody
02-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Then you are a fool, the man is brilliant and as DB states puts everyone else to shame. Just because a man speaks more slowly due to his age doesn't mean he has forgotten what a football player looks like. One of many possible examples, he invited Josh Freeman to the draft because he thought he was a very good player and would be a high pick, many "experts" scoffed. Who was right?

I listen to him a few times a week on Sirius, he and Pat Kirwan are heads and tails above any media when it comes to evaluating talent, and knowledge of how a football team should be run.

It's amazing how people are so willing to put older, more experienced people "out to pasture".

He had a great run but there was a reason his last draft he was picking #1 and it wasn't that Tom landry had forgotten how to coach. His drafts with Dallas in the 80's weren't very good and Jimmy Johnson rebuilt almost the whole roster. He got Jim Jeffcoat who was a pretty good player and Irvin was a great pick in 1988. But overall the 80's were not very kind to Brandt. And that's why Jerry Jones fired him. I still respect him but to act like he's above questioning is ridiculous. Sorry.

Bill Cody
02-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Gil Brandt has forgotten more about the NFL draft and prospect evaluation than this entire board combined could ever hope to learn.

So has Al Davis by the way, another guy I respect but wouldn't want running the Bills in 2011.

DraftBoy
02-23-2011, 03:14 PM
They do????

I don't agree. Whitner, Maybin, McKelvin no need to go any further.

I would take Brandt today over what we have.

That makes absolutely no sense and I have no idea what you are getting at but I assume its your usual tangent.

k-oneputt
02-23-2011, 03:17 PM
That makes absolutely no sense and I have no idea what you are getting at but I assume its your usual tangent.

What I'm getting at is the Bills scouting dept. sucks and doesn't know how to draft, but as bad as it is, I would take Brandt today as old as he is over the garbage currently in the Bills scouting dept.

understand now ????

better days
02-23-2011, 03:18 PM

Well Brandt did say that Newton will have to interview well & teams will have to feel good about his intangibles for him to be drafted that high.

The same thing many of us have been saying on this board.

DraftBoy
02-23-2011, 03:49 PM
What I'm getting at is the Bills scouting dept. sucks and doesn't know how to draft, but as bad as it is, I would take Brandt today as old as he is over the garbage currently in the Bills scouting dept.

understand now ????

Do you have that in illustration? I do better with pictures.

DraftBoy
02-23-2011, 03:51 PM
He had a great run but there was a reason his last draft he was picking #1 and it wasn't that Tom landry had forgotten how to coach. His drafts with Dallas in the 80's weren't very good and Jimmy Johnson rebuilt almost the whole roster. He got Jim Jeffcoat who was a pretty good player and Irvin was a great pick in 1988. But overall the 80's were not very kind to Brandt. And that's why Jerry Jones fired him. I still respect him but to act like he's above questioning is ridiculous. Sorry.

Brandt wasn't fired by Jerry.

DraftBoy
02-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Well Brandt did say that Newton will have to interview well & teams will have to feel good about his intangibles for him to be drafted that high.

The same thing many of us have been saying on this board.

Congratulations?

I fail to see the point. You're attempting to compare yourself or other board members to literally a living legend. Not something Id advise anybody to do.

Bill Cody
02-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Brandt wasn't fired by Jerry.

yes he was

better days
02-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Congratulations?

I fail to see the point. You're attempting to compare yourself or other board members to literally a living legend. Not something Id advise anybody to do.

I am not doing that at all. I am saying that Brandt has reservations about Newton going that high as just about everyone does.

k-oneputt
02-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Do you have that in illustration? I do better with pictures.

All the illustration you need is to watch the draft picks try and play football on Sunday's.
Then use your superior scouting knowledge and see if you can fiqure out why this team hasn't made the play-offs in a decade.

YardRat
02-23-2011, 08:55 PM
I hope he does go #1...Let Carolina waste their first-rounder and take us out of the running for him.

psubills62
03-07-2011, 09:06 PM
The Charlotte Observer's Darin Gantt predicts that Auburn QB Cam Newton will be the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

"I think they were so set on Andrew Luck coming out, they're not going to wait," explains Gantt. "They need a quarterback." Gantt is the most clued-in Panthers beat writer in the country, so it would be difficult to not trust him. He also believes coach Ron Rivera "is going (to Auburn's Pro Day) for a reason," and that's to meet with the Panthers' next franchise quarterback. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6491/cam-newton