PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Peterson almost guaranteed to be there at 3

DraftBoy
02-22-2011, 05:28 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/22/champ-bailey-resigns-with_n_826832.html

SABURZFAN
02-22-2011, 05:30 PM
i think the Bills should take him if the DL they want is not there. this guy would start from Day 1. that's what this team needs.

tcb5033
02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
i think the Bills should take him if the DL they want is not there. this guy would start from Day 1. that's what this team needs.

agreed that we need an immediate starter but aside from newton and gabbert thats pretty much everyone who has been projected first round

Slim
02-22-2011, 05:36 PM
There's been talk of Champ moving to S.

SABURZFAN
02-22-2011, 05:38 PM
agreed that we need an immediate starter but aside from newton and gabbert thats pretty much everyone who has been projected first round

yeah... but a lot of them can't help out the ST like Peterson can either.

better days
02-22-2011, 05:42 PM
I would love to see somebody trade up to #3 to take him & give the Bills another pick or two.

Bangarang
02-22-2011, 05:49 PM
I would love to see somebody trade up to #3 to take him & give the Bills another pick or two.

I would love to see Scarlett Johansen naked in my bed but it isn't happening.

more cowbell
02-22-2011, 06:15 PM
if they draft a ******* cornerback ...

Nighthawk
02-22-2011, 06:18 PM
This guy is extemely overrated and CB's do not make defenses that are bad up front any better...just doesn't work that way.

Jaybird
02-22-2011, 06:19 PM
This guy is extemely overrated and CB's do not make defenses that are bad up front any better...just doesn't work that way.

Why do you think he is overrated?

Nighthawk
02-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Why do you think he is overrated?

Because I watched him play a number of times this year...it's the hype that drives me nuts about him. You know what he is great at? Being a returner...we don't need another high pick who is a returner.

Jaybird
02-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Because I watched him play a number of times this year...it's the hype that drives me nuts about him. You know what he is great at? Being a returner...we don't need another high pick who is a returner.

I think he has the potential and skill set to be a top CB or Safety in the NFL. He has size, great tackler, speed, and seems to have lose hips.... Now i'm not saying i want him at 3 (still undecided) but i do believe the guy is a baller

Nighthawk
02-22-2011, 06:28 PM
I think he has the potential and skill set to be a top CB or Safety in the NFL. He has size, great tackler, speed, and seems to have lose hips.... Now i'm not saying i want him at 3 (still undecided) but i do believe the guy is a baller

Listen to people talk about him, first thing mentioned is that he is a great returner...yippee! Sorry, but besides not wanting him at #3, I don't believe that CB is a position that improves a team's defense that is already poor. Now, make the front seven stronger and then add a CB and that CB will make a substantial difference...it doesn't work the other way.

Jaybird
02-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Listen to people talk about him, first thing mentioned is that he is a great returner...yippee! Sorry, but besides not wanting him at #3, I don't believe that CB is a position that improves a team's defense that is already poor. Now, make the front seven stronger and then add a CB and that CB will make a substantial difference...it doesn't work the other way.

I agree... I played safety in college, and no matter how good a CB or safety is/are if the Qb has all the time in the world he will complete the pass

Prov401
02-22-2011, 06:48 PM
McGee is inconsistent, over the hill, and below average.

McKelvin is flat out inconsistent.

Florence is probably going to get a pretty penny from some other team.

CB is a need. I wouldn't hate the Peterson pick.

I think Newton and Bowers will be the first two off the board. We will either take Dareus or Peterson in that position. JMO

tampabay25690
02-22-2011, 08:35 PM

Wow what have u seen to say that?????
Ok his bowl game this year?????
Far from overrated.........WOW

FlyingDutchman
02-22-2011, 08:42 PM
I know Nix has said best player available but no matter what happens prior to 3, I think the bills will take the best DL or LB that is available to them...no sane GM would ignore the fact that their team was dead last against the rush...I think if Peterson falls the Bills pass on him

X-Era
02-22-2011, 08:45 PM
IMO, Peterson is a stud and worth the pick. However, I would favor a trade down for a team that's desperate for a CB, especially if its just a few slots, nets us another pick or so, and we can still land a top DL or QB.

Nighthawk
02-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Wow what have u seen to say that?????
Ok his bowl game this year?????
Far from overrated.........WOW

This coming from the guy who thought Tim Tebow should have been the #1 pick in last years draft.

Ebenezer
02-22-2011, 09:02 PM
As much as I don't like McToast and as much as McGee is over the hill this team needs DL much more than DB. The run defense is worse than the pass defense. Drafting an instant starter on the line improves both aspects of the defense.

DraftBoy
02-22-2011, 09:05 PM
This coming from the guy who thought Tim Tebow should have been the #1 pick in last years draft.

I dont believe he ever said that.

Nighthawk
02-22-2011, 09:09 PM
I dont believe he ever said that.

Sarcasm, DB...it's for effect...much like the stuff you post...come on man!

DraftBoy
02-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Sarcasm, DB...it's for effect...much like the stuff you post...come on man!

Oh, I thought that was in the post where you called Peterson over-hyped despite almost every national analyst ranking him #1 overall CB and amongst the top 3-5 prospects in this draft.

Nighthawk
02-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Oh, I thought that was in the post where you called Peterson over-hyped despite almost every national analyst ranking him #1 overall CB and amongst the top 3-5 prospects in this draft.

Yeah, because they're NEVER wrong! Good job...

I know you have a man crush on him, but he makes ZERO sense for this team and would not help make a big difference on this defense. Like I said before, CBs do not improve defenses drastically unless there is a front seven...

HAMMER
02-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Just because you take Peterson at 3 doesn't mean you can't take a great DE or LB early in the 2nd.

DraftBoy
02-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Yeah, because they're NEVER wrong! Good job...

I know you have a man crush on him, but he makes ZERO sense for this team and would not help make a big difference on this defense. Like I said before, CBs do not improve defenses drastically unless their is a front seven...

Did I say there were wrong or right? But I do like how you leave out that they hit on more than they miss.

Whether you think he makes any sense or zero sense doesn't mean he's overrated. It just means you don't like him. Which is fine that's your call.

justasportsfan
02-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Just because you take Peterson at 3 doesn't mean you can't take a great DE or LB early in the 2nd.
yeah. this draft is stacked with DE's

better days
02-22-2011, 09:36 PM

Well, except a GREAT DE or LB won't be there in the 2nd. Great DE's & LB's are highly valued & drafted highly as such.

Any DE or LB drafted after the 1st has some kind of shortcoming.......injured, needs development, Great motor but lacks size, has size but lacks motor...etc.

HAMMER
02-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Well, except a GREAT DE or LB won't be there in the 2nd. Great DE's & LB's are highly valued & drafted highly as such.

Any DE or LB drafted after the 1st has some kind of shortcoming.......injured, needs development, Great motor but lacks size, has size but lacks motor...etc.

I see, you are right, there hasn't ever been a great DE or LB taken outside the first round. Well maybe we can take the great CB and then take a REALLY GOOD DE or LB.

cookie G
02-22-2011, 09:48 PM
I'll just say what I said on another site about him.

I got to watch a few game without game stoppage here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoshMTD

I watched LSU vs. the Alabama offense, LSU vs. Auburn offense and rewatched LSU vs. the Texas A and M offense, keying on Peterson.

Big, very fast, very good at keeping a receiver at the line.

On the other hand, I saw about 5 passes that were thrown in tight coverage to him. No Ints, no PB's, 4 completions. That was actually disappointing for a guy that's supposed to be the best DB of the last decade.

In run support, his ability to get off a blocking WR is average. For a guy that's 225lbs...below average. He needs A LOT of coaching in that area..there were times watching him when I'm thinking "If I'm this guy's coach, I'm gonna be screaming at him on the sideline. Get off the damn WR and make the freaking tackle!".

In taking angles and hitting, he's no Ronnie Lott, Troy P or Bob Sanders. He did get dragged 10 yards by Cam Newton once, though. The long and short of it is, for a guy that big and that fast, he should be a lot better in run support.

I don't see him making our run game any better. In 3 games I saw 0 big run D plays.

6'1" DB's that run a 4.2 don't grow on trees, but he has a lot of work to do.

Can he be great? Yeah, he's big enough and fast enough to be great. Anyone you take in the Top 5 should have the potential to be great.

Is he great? Debatable. I'm only impressed with his coverage skills to an extent. I didn't like the way he was being thrown on in close coverage enough to make me feel confident of him going up against a Brandon Marshall or Andre Johnson. Possible in the future, but I don't see it right now.

Will ha make the defensive backfield better than a Dareus or a Bowers would make the front 7 better? No, not in my mind.

better days
02-22-2011, 09:51 PM
I see, you are right, there hasn't ever been a great DE or LB taken outside the first round. Well maybe we can take the great CB and then take a REALLY GOOD DE or LB.

From what Nix has said, the Bills will draft DL & LB's in this draft. I'm not saying they won't take a CB in the 1st, but if a DL or LB is there that they like I think they go for that over Peterson.

cookie G
02-22-2011, 10:01 PM

Schobel
Denney
Kelsay
Chris Ellis in the 3rd

Schobel worked. Other than that...not so good.

We follow the Anti-Planet theory. If there's a big guy with agility, we pass on him, because we can always get someone with average skills later on during the draft.

And it never happens. Schobel was 10 years ago.

We have to break this cycle.

DraftBoy
02-23-2011, 07:24 AM

I watched LSU vs. the Alabama offense, LSU vs. Auburn offense and rewatched LSU vs. the Texas A and M offense, keying on Peterson.

On the other hand, I saw about 5 passes that were thrown in tight coverage to him. No Ints, no PB's, 4 completions. That was actually disappointing for a guy that's supposed to be the best DB of the last decade.

In run support, his ability to get off a blocking WR is average. For a guy that's 225lbs...below average. He needs A LOT of coaching in that area..there were times watching him when I'm thinking "If I'm this guy's coach, I'm gonna be screaming at him on the sideline. Get off the damn WR and make the freaking tackle!".

In taking angles and hitting, he's no Ronnie Lott, Troy P or Bob Sanders. He did get dragged 10 yards by Cam Newton once, though. The long and short of it is, for a guy that big and that fast, he should be a lot better in run support.

I don't see him making our run game any better. In 3 games I saw 0 big run D plays.

Can he be great? Yeah, he's big enough and fast enough to be great. Anyone you take in the Top 5 should have the potential to be great.

Is he great? Debatable. I'm only impressed with his coverage skills to an extent. I didn't like the way he was being thrown on in close coverage enough to make me feel confident of him going up against a Brandon Marshall or Andre Johnson. Possible in the future, but I don't see it right now.

Will ha make the defensive backfield better than a Dareus or a Bowers would make the front 7 better? No, not in my mind.

He's not 225 and never played at 225 to my knowledge, he always played at around 215 and would gain weight going into the bowl season, Devin would know better but Im pretty sure that's the case. He's down to around 205-208 now. He knew he needed to lose some excess muscle because he can get caught being stiff.

The argument that a CB can or cant make a front 7 better is a pointless one and thrown out because it caters to people's personal arguments. A CB doesnt make a front 7 better just as a DE doesnt make your back 4 better. It just gives your player more opportunities.

k-oneputt
02-23-2011, 07:44 AM
If the d-end can rush the passer he surely makes the d-backs better.

The Bills pick is going to be Newton , Dareus, or Peterson.
I like one of the three so expect Newton or Peterson.

Novacane
02-23-2011, 07:57 AM
The argument that a CB can or cant make a front 7 better is a pointless one and thrown out because it caters to people's personal arguments. A CB doesnt make a front 7 better just as a DE doesnt make your back 4 better. It just gives your player more opportunities.

You are correct. A stud DE does not make the back 4 better. The point is they don't have to be better when the QB is being hurried or sacked.

Does not matter how good the back 4 are. If the DL never get to the QB the back 4 are not going to look very good.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 08:25 AM
You are correct. A stud DE does not make the back 4 better. The point is they don't have to be better when the QB is being hurried or sacked.

Does not matter how good the back 4 are. If the DL never get to the QB the back 4 are not going to look very good.I think they are all separate pieces of a whole. They are interrelated and one can impact the other, but each can over or underachieve on there own regardless.

Our secondary was top 5 last year in passing yards given up. It's partly because teams ran so effectively on us and didn't have to throw as much, and partly because we have a good secondary. I think it's both.

But if you look at the secondary unit, McGee isn't getting younger, McKelvin has regressed, Florence is a UFA, as is Whitner and Wilson.

Which means were not so settled along the secondary to simply overlook a CB at 3.

Do I agree we have bigger needs? yes. But I think a 4 and 12 team should be willing to take the BPA at a position of need (which is many areas on this team) rather than go into the draft hell bent on a certain position.

cookie G
02-23-2011, 08:44 AM

Interesting, except that isn't what I said.

better days
02-23-2011, 08:55 AM
I think they are all separate pieces of a whole. They are interrelated and one can impact the other, but each can over or underachieve on there own regardless.

Our secondary was top 5 last year in passing yards given up. It's partly because teams ran so effectively on us and didn't have to throw as much, and partly because we have a good secondary. I think it's both.

But if you look at the secondary unit, McGee isn't getting younger, McKelvin has regressed, Florence is a UFA, as is Whitner and Wilson.

Which means were not so settled along the secondary to simply overlook a CB at 3.

Do I agree we have bigger needs? yes. But I think a 4 and 12 team should be willing to take the BPA at a position of need (which is many areas on this team) rather than go into the draft hell bent on a certain position.

Well the entire DL & inside LB's is much more than a certain position. There is only one certain position they may go for in the 1st & that is QB.

I think a DL or inside LB will help this team improve much more than a CB. Unless Peterson is rated off the charts over everyone else he should not be the pick IMO. And if he is rated that high, I would rather see the Bills trade the pick to a team that really wants him.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Well the entire DL & inside LB's is much more than a certain position. There is only one certain position they may go for in the 1st & that is QB.

I think a DL or inside LB will help this team improve much more than a CB. Unless Peterson is rated off the charts over everyone else he should not be the pick IMO. And if he is rated that high, I would rather see the Bills trade the pick to a team that really wants him.I really don't disagree with what you're saying. Yes, I think the DL and LB is a bigger need. But, IMO no ILB'ers are worthy of even a 1st round pick, and Peterson may be a higher ranked prospect than a few DL's at 3. That's the point. I don't know that I would take lesser talent just because it's a higher need. Especially when no ILB's are worthy, and the DL positions are so deep in this draft.

In my mind, the best draft is one where we take advantage of what's the best player at each pick and still end up addressing our needs.

For example, lets say hypothetically, the depth at DE/DT may be good enough to get a guy at 34 who would usually go in round 1, and get arguably the best player in the draft at 3 in Peterson.

To me that's a better first two rounds than skipping the best player at 3 in Peterson and taking Dareus who may end up being ranked as the 5th best player at 3, and then taking Martez Wilson at 34 when we had him ranked as a mid 2nd to 3rd rounder. Again it's a hypothetical ranking to make the point.

I think the best draft is most bang for the buck at each pick and in the end addressing our needs.

better days
02-23-2011, 09:17 AM
I really don't disagree with what you're saying. Yes, I think the DL and LB is a bigger need. But, IMO no ILB'ers are worthy of even a 1st round pick, and Peterson may be a higher ranked prospect than a few DL's at 3. That's the point. I don't know that I would take lesser talent just because it's a higher need. Especially when no ILB's are worthy, and the DL positions are so deep in this draft.

In my mind, the best draft is one where we take advantage of what's the best player at each pick and still end up addressing our needs.

For example, lets say hypothetically, the depth at DE/DT may be good enough to get a guy at 34 who would usually go in round 1, and get arguably the best player in the draft at 3 in Peterson.

To me that's a better first two rounds than skipping the best player at 3 in Peterson and taking Dareus who may end up being ranked as the 5th best player at 3, and then taking Martez Wilson at 34 when we had him ranked as a mid 2nd to 3rd rounder. Again it's a hypothetical ranking to make the point.

I think the best draft is most bang for the buck at each pick and in the end addressing our needs.

I agree with bang for the buck, but let's say the Bills take Darrius in the 1st. If there is a DE with a 1st rnd grade at 34 the Bills should also take him IMO.

Build the DL & get some LB's & the Bills will show great improvement IMO.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 09:22 AM
I agree with bang for the buck, but let's say the Bills take Darrius in the 1st. If there is a DE with a 1st rnd grade at 34 the Bills should also take him IMO.

Build the DL & get some LB's & the Bills will show great improvement IMO.Well, I agree with the 2nd half. But I'm not convinced Dareus is one of the top 3 players in the draft. I wouldn't mind the pick, but in a few years we may feel we could have done better.

better days
02-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Well, I agree with the 2nd half. But I'm not convinced Dareus is one of the top 3 players in the draft. I wouldn't mind the pick, but in a few years we may feel we could have done better.

Well, it is all a crapshoot. If Peterson is the pick we could also feel we could have done better than him in a few years.

HAMMER
02-23-2011, 09:59 AM

Build the DL & get some LB's & the Bills will show great improvement IMO.

People just don't want to hear it but we spent a lot of time and money on the D-Line last year. OBD can't just keep drafting the same position, you have to be patient and have faith that your past picks will develolp. We took a huge DE in Carrington, a NT in Troup, and signed another big DE in Edwards. DLinemen take more than one year to adapt to the NFL and reach their potential, some do it faster than others but you just can't keep drafting the same position.

EDS
02-23-2011, 10:01 AM

I think Peterson is the best athlete available - which would fit with the Bills MO of drafting the best athlete available in the first round (see, e.g., McKelvin, Maybin & Spiller). Amukamara is the better cover corner today. He does not appear to be the same caliber of athlete as Peterson, but neither is Revis.

k-oneputt
02-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Well that settles it.

Peterson is ranked at 96 and Dareus is only ranked at 94 so we must not reach.
It's not like we would be taking a guy with a 3rd rd grade. It's all bs anyways, who the hell ranked Maybin, Whitner, and McKelvin.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Well that settles it.

Peterson is ranked at 96 and Dareus is only ranked at 94 so we must not reach.
It's not like we would be taking a guy with a 3rd rd grade. It's all bs anyways, who the hell ranked Maybin, Whitner, and McKelvin.Relax. No one used the word reach. I simply said that on a 4 and 12 team that's not above average at anything really, we could go in a lot of different directions and IMO should take the best player if it fits even a partial need.

Look at it this way, if it's a 3 year rebuilding plan, that's 21 picks. I'd like to get the most that we can out of each pick.

And even then we still may not have adequately filled every need.

Going into the draft with an ordered list of the top need to the least and drafting need priority 1 in round 1 and so on sequentially is a sure fire way to make mistakes.

Take advantage of the draft and get the best bang for your buck even if it means taking a lesser need before a higher need.

k-oneputt
02-23-2011, 10:33 AM
That's the whole point, who says Peterson at 96 is even better then Dareus at 94 ?
They are damn close either way and just because they are ranked high {see previous Bills blunders}it doesn't mean they will live up to the ranking.

I think you are splitting hairs on Peterson/Dareus.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 10:45 AM
That's the whole point, who says Peterson at 96 is even better then Dareus at 94 ?
They are damn close either way and just because they are ranked high {see previous Bills blunders}it doesn't mean they will live up to the ranking.

I think you are splitting hairs on Peterson/Dareus.IMO, I don't. I think Peterson may be the best player in the draft. While I think Dareus may only be the 4th best prospect.

I think it goes like this at this point:

1) Peterson
2) Bowers
3) AJ Green
4) Dareus
5) Fairley

Just my opinion.

DraftBoy
02-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Interesting, except that isn't what I said.

Wasnt directed at you, more of a general statements.

Its difficult to differentiate at times between when Im responding directly to a poster or making a general statement.

k-oneputt
02-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Those top five are very close, so do you want a db or dl ? That's the question. Personally I want the dl because that is where the game is won {and qb}.

DraftBoy
02-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Those top five are very close, so do you want a db or dl ? That's the question. Personally I want the dl because that is where the game is won {and qb}.

DL, DB, or WR. That's the top 5, 3 DL 1 CB, and 1 WR.

Right now it looks like 1 and 2 are going DL, so do we take the third best DL, or a the top CB or WR?

There are multiple ways to look at that slanting in favor of whatever your position is on this.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Those top five are very close, so do you want a db or dl ? That's the question. Personally I want the dl because that is where the game is won {and qb}.I think it's still abit fluid and that a QB could get into that mix. If the QB is there, I might like that pick the best. Outside of that, I wouldn't mind any of the top 4 on my list at 3. I'm not dead set against Fairley, but I'm just not that high on him to be honest.

psubills62
02-23-2011, 11:51 AM

Right now it looks like 1 and 2 are going DL, so do we take the third best DL, or a the top CB or WR?

There are multiple ways to look at that slanting in favor of whatever your position is on this.

Ah, but remember that the 3rd DL picked may not necessarily be the 3rd best DL for us. I'd like Dareus regardless of what other DL are there, as I think he fits our system better than Fairley and Bowers.

Bill Cody
02-23-2011, 11:59 AM
but you just can't keep drafting the same position.

We sure can. We're the Buffalo Bills. Try to get in touch with your inner Maybin and everything will be clear.

Mr. Pink
02-23-2011, 12:05 PM
You take the best player available at a position of need.

That means if Patrick Peterson is available, you draft him. Unless you can trade down stockpile more picks to bring in more top college players at positions of need. Or you pick up an NFL player at a position of need in the trade down, if that ends up being the case.

When you get into the thinking of we have to take this position you get yourself into trouble by drafting guys like Whitner, McCargo, Maybin, Lynch, etc...

jamze132
02-23-2011, 12:21 PM
IMO, I don't. I think Peterson may be the best player in the draft. While I think Dareus may only be the 4th best prospect.

1) Peterson
2) Bowers
3) AJ Green
4) Dareus
5) Fairley

Just my opinion.
So what do you have to say to Cookie G's analysis of Peterson earlier in the thread?

X-Era
02-23-2011, 12:39 PM
So what do you have to say to Cookie G's analysis of Peterson earlier in the thread?I agree with some of what he says. I think he's better in run support than some do. IMO, he has the size, speed, and hips to be a prototypical CB. He hits hard and doesn't shy away from contact, and is the type of player than you trust out there on an island. I think he projects well to be a #1 corner.

HAMMER
02-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Is Cookie G supposed to be some sort of "guru"?

cookie G
02-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Is Cookie G supposed to be some sort of "guru"?

Yes. And babes love him too.

k-oneputt
02-23-2011, 01:48 PM

Who cares if he happens to be "rated" the supposed 3rd best dl. He is still in the top -5 and is actually the best fit dl for what the Bills are doing.

DraftBoy
02-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Who cares if he happens to be "rated" the supposed 3rd best dl. He is still in the top -5 and is actually the best fit dl for what the Bills are doing.

Im not saying I care at all, Im simply showing how everything gets easily twisted and manipulated to support people's views/agendas on who should be taken where and why. More often than not most fans views are based on anything but the players actual talent and ability.

k-oneputt
02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Im not saying I care at all, Im simply showing how everything gets easily twisted and manipulated to support people's views/agendas on who should be taken where and why. More often than not most fans views are based on anything but the players actual talent and ability.

No.

It happens to do with what position you value more, db,wr or a dl.

You have five players very close in talent. I want the dl.

DraftBoy
02-23-2011, 02:15 PM
No.

It happens to do with what position you value more, db,wr or a dl.

You have five players very close in talent. I want the dl.

What do you mean no? Nobody is even arguing with you about anything.

better days
02-23-2011, 03:55 PM
IMO, I don't. I think Peterson may be the best player in the draft. While I think Dareus may only be the 4th best prospect.

1) Peterson
2) Bowers
3) AJ Green
4) Dareus
5) Fairley

Just my opinion.

Well let's say that list is accurate & those are the 5 best players in the draft. Dareus would be the best pick for the Bills even if only the 4th best player on that list.

It is much easier to find a good CB or WR after rnd 1 than a good DL, & Bowers does not fit the Bills 3-4 scheme.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Well let's say that list is accurate & those are the 5 best players in the draft. Dareus would be the best pick for the Bills even if only the 4th best player on that list.

It is much easier to find a good CB or WR after rnd 1 than a good DL, & Bowers does not fit the Bills 3-4 scheme.Guess we will just have to disagree. IMO, it's a better move to take the #1 player over the #4 player if both are there. It's not like our secondary is THAT good.

Extremebillsfan247
02-23-2011, 04:20 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/22/champ-bailey-resigns-with_n_826832.html Denver may still get him. Bailey doesn't have many seasons left in him. He would be an excellent mentor for Peterson to learn from at the pro level and it would set Denver up at that position for a long time potentially. If he did fall to us at 3, I wouldn't be upset if the Bills got him either. JMO

better days
02-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Guess we will just have to disagree. IMO, it's a better move to take the #1 player over the #4 player if both are there. It's not like our secondary is THAT good.

Well, if you think it is better to have a great CB & crap on the DL than the 4th best player in the entire draft & a good to very good CB then I guess we will have to disagree.

Extremebillsfan247
02-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Well, if you think it is better to have a great CB & crap on the DL than the 4th best player in the entire draft & a good to very good CB then I guess we will have to disagree.I think defensively up front we are ok, not great but ok. LB is where this team really needs a lot of help though. We need to get bigger and far more physical there to stop the run or we wont. LBs like Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, and Clay Mathews make a world of difference to a defense. We don't have that element on our defense and it's sorely needed. JMO

better days
02-23-2011, 04:42 PM
I think defensively up front we are ok, not great but ok. LB is where this team really needs a lot of help though. We need to get bigger and far more physical there to stop the run or we wont. LBs like Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, and Clay Mathews make a world of difference to a defense. We don't have that element on our defense and it's sorely needed. JMO

I don't disagree with you, but I think we are much more ok in the backfield than anywhere else on the defense.

The problem is no Inside LB's have been talked about as being so good they should be in the top 10.

That is why I would love to trade down if possible, let another team have Peterson or Green & get a very good DL & LB or even two LB's with the picks we get.

Nighthawk
02-23-2011, 05:58 PM

1) Peterson
2) Bowers
3) AJ Green
4) Dareus
5) Fairley

Just my opinion.

And people thought Spiller was the best player available in last years draft...it's not that easy.

DraftBoy
02-23-2011, 06:04 PM
And people thought Spiller was the best player available in last years draft...it's not that easy.

And to judge him now as if he has proven to be or not to be is asinine.

Extremebillsfan247
02-23-2011, 06:38 PM
And people thought Spiller was the best player available in last years draft...it's not that easy.And he still may turn out to be.

Nighthawk
02-23-2011, 06:38 PM
And to judge him now as if he has proven to be or not to be is asinine.

Hey, just sayin' and no matter how you spin it, it doesn't help your arguement.

DraftBoy
02-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Hey, just sayin' and no matter how you spin it, it doesn't help your arguement.

But you're not saying anything. There was little argument that Spiller was the BPA at the time we picked. Because he hasnt panned out yet (and may never) doesnt change that fact.

Him being BPA at the time doesnt make it a good or bad pick, its what our Front Office does, so you can expect more of it this season and in the years to come. It's going to frustrate the hell out of fans because its not a very easy concept to comprehend or defend.

X-Era
02-24-2011, 07:51 AM
But you're not saying anything. There was little argument that Spiller was the BPA at the time we picked. Because he hasnt panned out yet (and may never) doesnt change that fact.

Him being BPA at the time doesnt make it a good or bad pick, its what our Front Office does, so you can expect more of it this season and in the years to come. It's going to frustrate the hell out of fans because its not a very easy concept to comprehend or defend.If you take the best player available 10 years in a row, you end up with a better team in overall talent than if you take lesser talent at your biggest need 10 years in a row. You may double up at a position or two but at worst you have great depth and at best, you have bargaining chips to fill needs with very good players.

To make that work, you also need to fill holes from FA and trades. And the better you do that, the more freedom you buy yourself in the draft. I'm personally not a huge fan of our "primarily through the draft" concept. I think it leads to more must fills from the draft, which plays into the approach where we fill needs and don't go with the best player available.

Overall, If you fill your team with lesser talent because of need, you end up with a lesser team, whether you have all your holes filled or not.

alohabillsfan
02-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Fairley
Bowers
Quinn

One of them will be there and will help this team. We need to get bigger. The Tampa two has decimated our depth, so we need to continue to stockpile front seven. I would consider the higest rated CB (unless someone was there that was insanely higher rated on their board) in the second round and look for ILB's in rounds 4-5.