PDA

View Full Version : I Got All Emotional This Morning

Typ0
02-23-2011, 07:15 AM
I haven't been watching any games kinda out of touch right now. But I got up and put on wgr and am listening. I need peeps to pinch me. Did the new owner of the Sabres come out and say he was going to buy a championship for Buffalo?

THATHURMANATOR
02-23-2011, 07:56 AM
It isn't a dream man! :hi5:

OpIv37
02-23-2011, 07:56 AM
well, nothing is guaranteed.

But he did say he was going to try to buy a championship, which is a hell of a lot better than any previous Sabres or current Bills owner has ever attempted.

trapezeus
02-23-2011, 09:09 AM
The rigas were trying to steal us championship, but then found it more enjoyable to steal for themselves. Golisano pretty much confirmed that he no interest other than saving the team and raising funds. and now T-Pegs is all about making it a better place for players.

that is a long term goal, but a very important one. For the last 10 years we've watched players get into some serious scuffles with management from hasek to peca to drury briere. Even Grier said on his way out that the team isn't committed to winning.

It just sucks that the other ownerships have abused our patience and the only way to fix it is with more patience on our part.

JD
02-23-2011, 04:25 PM
I got choked up telling my mom what Pegula said during the presser.

Typ0
02-23-2011, 07:57 PM
honestly I have a lot of confidence in Regier and Ruff. This team was right there to win one that first year they ran at it with drury and brier. Yes, they probably didn't have the upper commitment but still got that close. Let's see what happens.

The rigas were trying to steal us championship, but then found it more enjoyable to steal for themselves. Golisano pretty much confirmed that he no interest other than saving the team and raising funds. and now T-Pegs is all about making it a better place for players.

that is a long term goal, but a very important one. For the last 10 years we've watched players get into some serious scuffles with management from hasek to peca to drury briere. Even Grier said on his way out that the team isn't committed to winning.

It just sucks that the other ownerships have abused our patience and the only way to fix it is with more patience on our part.

Dr. Lecter
02-23-2011, 08:06 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0YjSHbA6HQQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nighthawk
02-23-2011, 08:13 PM
It's going to be tough for the team to win a cup with Regier still making hockey decisions.

Dr. Lecter
02-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Still?

I don't think he really has been

Typ0
02-24-2011, 08:57 AM
It's going to be tough for the team to win a cup with Regier still making hockey decisions.

I don't know how you can say that though. This team was never funded to build a powerhouse and somehow under these guys the years came along that they were close. I talked about that one team above and another they actually went to the finals. Maybe that is Regier's fit but give him the resources and see how he can do. These guys deserve this shot for the work they have done. From the owners perspective it's just a hiccup if they don't work out cause he can can them at any time and just rebuild. He's got something in place that's strong go with it and let's see what happen.

Dude
02-24-2011, 10:54 AM
I'd be surprised if Darcy was the GM next season.

Jan Reimers
02-24-2011, 11:06 AM
I'd like to see what Darcy could do with the handcuffs off.

Nighthawk
02-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Still?

I don't think he really has been

And let the excuses roll! If you believe that he had ZERO say in hockey decisions, then I have some land down in Louisiana that I'd love to sell you!

Nighthawk
02-24-2011, 11:58 AM
I don't know how you can say that though. This team was never funded to build a powerhouse and somehow under these guys the years came along that they were close. I talked about that one team above and another they actually went to the finals. Maybe that is Regier's fit but give him the resources and see how he can do. These guys deserve this shot for the work they have done. From the owners perspective it's just a hiccup if they don't work out cause he can can them at any time and just rebuild. He's got something in place that's strong go with it and let's see what happen.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, people need to stop acting like Darcy was given a 10 million dollar budget and told to compete. They weren't that far under the cap, they spent money...they just spent it on the wrong players and those decisions on talent won't change because there is more money to spend. The guy is a terrible talent evaluator and is constantly falling in love with his players. I'm glad that you guys are excited, but please take off the blinders to what Regier really is...not a good GM.

SabreEleven
02-24-2011, 12:46 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, people need to stop acting like Darcy was given a 10 million dollar budget and told to compete. They weren't that far under the cap, they spent money...they just spent it on the wrong players and those decisions on talent won't change because there is more money to spend. The guy is a terrible talent evaluator and is constantly falling in love with his players. I'm glad that you guys are excited, but please take off the blinders to what Regier really is...not a good GM.

Were you ever in job where you were competent at doing the job at a good or even great level but didn't really give a **** because your bosses didn't care enough to support you? Kind of brings your moral down.

Nighthawk
02-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Were you ever in job where you were competent at doing the job at a good or even great level but didn't really give a **** because your bosses didn't care enough to support you? Kind of brings your moral down.

Yeah, but it didn't make me suck at my job...sorry, you and others are making excuses...

Dr. Lecter
02-24-2011, 08:07 PM
And let the excuses roll! If you believe that he had ZERO say in hockey decisions, then I have some land down in Louisiana that I'd love to sell you!
Nice job.

I never said he had zero say.

But twist my words to try and make your point.

Nighthawk
02-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Nice job.

I never said he had zero say.

But twist my words to try and make your point.

Yep, that's what I'm doing...spinning your words. I don't need that to make my point, all anybody needs to do is think clearly about his tenure as GM of the Sabres and stop getting caught up in the fluff of the new ownership and the vow to spend money. Money was spent under Golisano and Regier spent it on the wrong players...that's a fact.

Dr. Lecter
02-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Yep, that's what I'm doing...spinning your words. I don't need that to make my point, all anybody needs to do is think clearly about his tenure as GM of the Sabres and stop getting caught up in the fluff of the new ownership and the vow to spend money. Money was spent under Golisano and Regier spent it on the wrong players...that's a fact.
And he tried to spend it on different players (i.e. Drury). And other players did not want to come because of the teams reputation and how they treated guys.

It is not just about the money that he spends, but on the other resources available.

And yes - you did spin my words. I never said anything about him having zero input. And he has made wrong decisions. Unlike you and DB, he is not perfect.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 07:54 AM
And he tried to spend it on different players (i.e. Drury). And other players did not want to come because of the teams reputation and how they treated guys.

It is not just about the money that he spends, but on the other resources available.

And yes - you did spin my words. I never said anything about him having zero input. And he has made wrong decisions. Unlike you and DB, he is not perfect.

No, you implied that he didn't have any say and that he had to do everything that he was told, that he didn't make any decisions. You may not have said it, but you most certainly implied it to make your point. I don't know everything, that is very true, but I know that Darcy is given way too many excuses and is never held accountable and it is continuing with this owner.

Dr. Lecter
02-25-2011, 08:04 AM
No, you implied that he didn't have any say and that he had to do everything that he was told, that he didn't make any decisions. You may not have said it, but you most certainly implied it to make your point. I don't know everything, that is very true, but I know that Darcy is given way too many excuses and is never held accountable and it is continuing with this owner.
No, I did not imply it at all. Not even close.

You might have read that into, but it was not my point and any reasonable person would see that.

There is a big difference between being hamstrung and having no say.

I swear, the discussions in the Spin Zone are more reasonable than the ones here.

Jan Reimers
02-25-2011, 08:10 AM
I swear, the discussions in the Spin Zone are more reasonable than the ones here.
Uh . . . no.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 09:40 AM
No, I did not imply it at all. Not even close.

You might have read that into, but it was not my point and any reasonable person would see that.

There is a big difference between being hamstrung and having no say.

Ok, Lecter...whatever you say, buddy.

mightysimi
02-25-2011, 12:15 PM
well, nothing is guaranteed.

But he did say he was going to try to buy a championship, which is a hell of a lot better than any previous Sabres or current Bills owner has ever attempted.

Can you really buy a championship in a league with that low of a cap? You would have to overpay to get top quality free agents which hampers you in the end. (see Kovalchuk, Ilya). Other than Detroit which seems to be an enigma, the way teams are winning is hitting the lottery on draft picks and then winning during or just after their rookie contracts.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Can you really buy a championship in a league with that low of a cap? You would have to overpay to get top quality free agents which hampers you in the end. (see Kovalchuk, Ilya). Other than Detroit which seems to be an enigma, the way teams are winning is hitting the lottery on draft picks and then winning during or just after their rookie contracts.

NHL teams do not win championships without Superstar players, it just doesn't happen. This team needs to find a couple of Superstar players to build around and then fill in the rest. Until Darcy realizes this, nothing will change. The Sabres currently have no player that could be classified as a Superstar...and they won't win the Cup until that changes. It's just the way it is in the NHL...

mightysimi
02-25-2011, 01:15 PM
NHL teams do not win championships without Superstar players, it just doesn't happen. This team needs to find a couple of Superstar players to build around and then fill in the rest. Until Darcy realizes this, nothing will change. The Sabres currently have no player that could be classified as a Superstar...and they won't win the Cup until that changes. It's just the way it is in the NHL...

I would argue that Miller is a superstar and Myers is a budding one, but like I was saying, the teams that won, won with their stars early in their career when they could afford a supporting cast.
Carolina(Staal, Ward)
Anaheim(Getzlaf, Perry)
Pittsburgh(Crosby, Malkin, Staal)
Chicago(Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith)
These teams have had to drop players after winning to afford to re-sign the players that are good. Chicago is the perfect example. They couldn't even afford to keep their stanley cup winning goalie. Other than Detroit, most teams win this way in the "New" NHL. Overpaying for a superstar just to have one will get you no where. Buying players doesn't guarentee chemistry as the Rangers showed for years.

Nighthawk
02-26-2011, 01:32 PM
I would argue that Miller is a superstar and Myers is a budding one, but like I was saying, the teams that won, won with their stars early in their career when they could afford a supporting cast.
Carolina(Staal, Ward)
Anaheim(Getzlaf, Perry)
Pittsburgh(Crosby, Malkin, Staal)
Chicago(Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith)
These teams have had to drop players after winning to afford to re-sign the players that are good. Chicago is the perfect example. They couldn't even afford to keep their stanley cup winning goalie. Other than Detroit, most teams win this way in the "New" NHL. Overpaying for a superstar just to have one will get you no where. Buying players doesn't guarentee chemistry as the Rangers showed for years.

Miller is nowhere near a star that could be a difference maker in winning the cup. He's not an elite goaltender, he's a good goalie...two entirely different things. Myers might be someday, but tell me a team that didn't win with a superstar up front? You need guys who are difference makers, we don't have any.

mightysimi
02-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Miller is nowhere near a star that could be a difference maker in winning the cup. He's not an elite goaltender, he's a good goalie...two entirely different things. Myers might be someday, but tell me a team that didn't win with a superstar up front? You need guys who are difference makers, we don't have any.

I agree that you do need some but the point I'm trying to make is that you have to draft them. Overpaying for free agents will get you nowhere.