PDA

View Full Version : Darcy

Dozerdog
02-23-2011, 08:18 AM
With scouts and a free hand / wallet to get who he wants......

Will he still suck or will he be the guy who GM'ed 2 Conference Finals teams?

I think he performed miracles with the Rigas' in charge, followed by golisano's crew. They spent to the cap on players but they were stripped in other parts- like scouting. Without scouts, you spend on the wrong guys.

OpIv37
02-23-2011, 08:24 AM
I really don't know how to answer this this because it was a double variable scenario.

It could be that Darcy sucks, or it could be that he was hamstrung by Golisano and Quinn pulling the purse strings tighter than Fred Phelps' bunghole.

With the budget constraints lifted, we'll find out soon enough.

THATHURMANATOR
02-23-2011, 08:34 AM
I am not sure but willing to give him a chance.

trapezeus
02-23-2011, 10:50 AM
i flip flop on this all the time.

i really want the guy gone, but at the same time, he does seem to average one good trade every 5 years. one that shapes the team. his problems recently were just not having the space to move around players. but he did find good players.

If darcy doesn't do anything before the 28th, i'm going to want him gone during the summer.

PTI
02-23-2011, 10:55 AM
At this point indifferent because it sounds like if he fails and even so in the short term that someone else would replace him soon enough.

Dozerdog
02-23-2011, 10:57 AM
I don't have issues with Darcy not making a big splash this trade deadline. I don't want any Dominic Moore deals - giving away draft picks.

If a really good trade can't be made- I am not going to go nuts. The cup won't be won by us this year and with a brand new owner, there is no need to mortgage the future for rent a players just to make 1-2 rounds of the playoffs for revenue's sake.

Honestly, If I were Darcy I would be a seller, not a buyer. Get cap space for some smart free agent moves/trades.

trapezeus
02-23-2011, 11:00 AM
I don't have issues with Darcy not making a big splash this trade deadline. I don't want any Dominic Moore deals - giving away draft picks.

If a really good trade can't be made- I am not going to go nuts. The cup won't be won by us this year and with a brand new owner, there is no need to mortgage the future for rent a players just to make 1-2 rounds of the playoffs for revenue's sake.

Honestly, If I were Darcy I would be a seller, not a buyer. Get cap space for some smart free agent moves/trades.

exactly. but making no moves and getting no picks or propects for players that could move would be a crime. I don't want to hear that darcy thought the asking price was too high to move connolly. if anything is offered...TAKE IT!

Same thing with Special Nieds, Hecht, and to a degree pominville. If there is any interest with prospects and picks, take it. We have 4 years of seeing these guys for what they are. non-playoff players.

chernobylwraiths
02-23-2011, 11:04 AM

I am willing to let him have till the end of the year (meaning in all reality the trade deadline). I don't think he was hamstrung as much as some people think. Sure, he was given the "break even" mandate, but he seemed to pay for and only shell out money for the wrong guys. I think it was only after everything happened too. He let others set the market for him and some of his own players (Vanek). I also want to know who's idea it was to not negotiate any deals during the season.

It remains to be seen if he will be willing to go get superstars when they are free agents and possibly overpay a little, even with the reigns off. Many of his really good deals involved players that were marginal players that just happened to play well here. I think Briere was the only one to truly flourish here.

DrGraves
02-23-2011, 02:45 PM
worst gm in the league and probably in the history of sports

PTI
02-23-2011, 03:45 PM

They essentially traded Kotalik for Moore, they both were for 2nd round draft picks, so that was a wash really. I didn't like the deal, Kotalik was killing it on shootouts that year and we should have kept him for the rest of the season. Got a good deal for Kotalik, and paid too much for Moore. All in all that is nothing to complain about.

Ebenezer
02-23-2011, 03:58 PM

I don't disagree but the guys who are the easy target to move are FAs at the end of the year any way.

JD
02-23-2011, 04:16 PM
I really think Quinn was the cancer of this organization.

Ebenezer
02-23-2011, 04:25 PM
I really think Quinn was the cancer of this organization.
As I have said for years, Darcy never got fired did he? Quinn was on board or dictating the orders.

SabreEleven
02-23-2011, 04:41 PM
worst gm in the league and probably in the history of sports

In the history of sports? Really? His team at least went to the Conference finals twice....other teams haven't even sniffed the playoffs. This statement is ridiculous.

Nighthawk
02-23-2011, 05:52 PM
With scouts and a free hand / wallet to get who he wants......

Will he still suck or will he be the guy who GM'ed 2 Conference Finals teams?

I think he performed miracles with the Rigas' in charge, followed by golisano's crew. They spent to the cap on players but they were stripped in other parts- like scouting. Without scouts, you spend on the wrong guys.

The guy is flatout terrible! Let's not pretend that he was working on a 10 million dollar budget...the guy spent money, just on the wrong players and his lack of ability to see how ****ty players are is not going to change with more money to spend. The guy doesn't know how to "find" trades...and I'm disgusted that he will be retained. I was one of the people who was very excited to hear about Pegula taking over, but to be honest, his comments on WGR this morning about how great Regier is has totally turned me off on how things are going to change. Sorry, but Regier is very good at saying what owners want to hear and he's done it again. Not good...not good at all for the future of this team.

elltrain22
02-23-2011, 06:55 PM
All I have is optimism right now. The sky is the limit. I am def' drinkin the Kool-Aid that Pegula is serving!!!

Johnny Bugmenot
02-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Darcy orchestrated both Tim Connolly contract renewals.

That ain't cheap. It's just plain incompetent. No amount of money can fix stupid.

Nighthawk
02-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Darcy orchestrated both Tim Connolly contract renewals.

That ain't cheap. It's just plain incompetent. No amount of money can fix stupid.

And therein lies the problem...the guy is just plain stupid and incompetent. Money won't change that!