PDA

View Full Version : What I expect at the deadline: commitment

OpIv37
02-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Over the past few years, the Sabres have been fence-sitters at the deadline.

They weren't afraid to unload a guy they knew we couldn't re-sign (ie, Campbell), but they weren't really sellers. At the same time, they didn't commit to spending what it would take to put this team on a playoff run, instead opting for average guys like Torres, Dominic Moore and Zubrus, and hoping they could put the team over the top. This kind of half-assed approach is not acceptable.

Now, my personal opinion is that this team is broken and the current incarnation of the Sabres needs to be dismantled, starting right now. However, I'm willing to give Reiger the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do with a Pegula budget, as long as he goes all-in.

So, commit.

If the Sabres are sellers, unload. Give Connolly, Rivet, Neidermayer and maybe even Grier away for peanuts. If we can't get rid of these guys at the deadline, at the very least, do not re-sign ANY of them. If you can find a taker willing to accept Pominville or Hecht's contracts, give them away too. Send Lalime to Portland and let Enroth help finish out the year.

If the Sabres are buyers, get some talent in here, preferably guys that we might be able to re-sign and keep beyond this year. Don't be afraid to trade an up-and-comer like Ennis if it gets us a proven player in return (although I'd make Myers off-limits).

I expect Pegula and his staff to pick a strategy and hit the ground running. I've had enough of the fence-sitting status quo nonsense.

MikeInRoch
02-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Well, looks like Rivet is out...

trapezeus
02-23-2011, 11:59 AM
what is the rivet move? is it:

1. we've tried to trade him, there is zero takers, let's let him go and end the embarassment?
2. We've got another deal, we need space, we aren't using this guy, let's cut him?

OpIv37
02-23-2011, 12:08 PM
what is the rivet move? is it:

1. we've tried to trade him, there is zero takers, let's let him go and end the embarassment?
2. We've got another deal, we need space, we aren't using this guy, let's cut him?
we'll find out by the 28th, but I'm on board either way. Enough nonsense.

OpIv37
02-23-2011, 12:34 PM
I've been kicked in the nuts by Buffalo sports too many times to get too excited, but I have to say that it's encouraging that it only took one full day for the new ownership to start changing things.

trapezeus
02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
montreal press reports the sabres are willing to be buyers if they can be within 4 points of 8th tonight.

take it for what it's worth, but they might have a couple deals that go towards selling and buying and the conclusion is pedal to the medal if we are close, and if we fall out, selll sell sell.

i can live with that.

OpIv37
02-23-2011, 12:42 PM
montreal press reports the sabres are willing to be buyers if they can be within 4 points of 8th tonight.

take it for what it's worth, but they might have a couple deals that go towards selling and buying and the conclusion is pedal to the medal if we are close, and if we fall out, selll sell sell.

i can live with that.

There is some playoff experience on this team. Miller, Pominville, Roy (if he returns), Connolly, Grier and Gaustad were part of the Sabres' deep playoff runs. Leopold won the Cup with the Penguins and made the finals the year after that. Morrison was in with the Caps the last couple of years. Even Ennis and Myers got a taste of it last year.

If they can get a few skill players and get in, anything could happen. But there's no sense forcing it and missing a chance to unload some garbage.

I agree- I can definitely live with that choice.

trapezeus
02-23-2011, 01:08 PM
i think if you are within 4 points and you have $17MM to work with for this season and there is a real player you can get that isn't simply a rental, go for it.

if you are still 5-6 points out, then yes, it's over. even if we make it, it'll be a short run. As a result, sell and be active in free agency in the summer and see what happens.

i just don't want to see this team without any changes on March 1.

Ebenezer
02-23-2011, 03:53 PM
So, commit.

If the Sabres are sellers, unload. Give Connolly, Rivet, Neidermayer and maybe even Grier away for peanuts. If we can't get rid of these guys at the deadline, at the very least, do not re-sign ANY of them.

They are all free agents and won't be back. Do you really think letting these guys go is a commitment?? Come on. Any move a teenager can predict does not a commitment make. Unless some team wants to move a superstar between now and Monday there is nothing this team can do until July 1 to show anybody they are committed.

Ebenezer
02-23-2011, 03:54 PM
i think if you are within 4 points and you have $17MM to work with for this season and there is a real player you can get that isn't simply a rental, go for it.

Where would they get this $17 million??

Dr. Lecter
02-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Where would they get this $17 million??

Cap space.

They had about 6..

Rivet is another 3.5

Roy is on LTIR - that is another 4

If they can ship Timmy out, that is another 4.5

Ebenezer
02-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Cap space.

They had about 6..

Rivet is another 3.5

Roy is on LTIR - that is another 4

If they can ship Timmy out, that is another 4.5
They just said on the news that cutting Rivet saved 800K. He was cut. They are on the hook for the time he was on the roster.