PDA

View Full Version : Cam Newton calls himself "an entertainer and an icon"

Jason15215
02-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Do we really want this kind of character on our team? I mean he considers himself an "icon" already.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Cam-Newton-entertainer-icon-interview-022211/?gt1=39002

G Wolly
02-23-2011, 02:00 PM
I could care less what he says, so long as he backs it up on the field.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Not a fan of that type of bluster. I hope for his sake, teams don;t view him as a ego-maniac with character issues.

ServoBillieves
02-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Guy has talent out the... well ya know. But man, don't do this to yourself right before the combine. I know that DB and others would agree that going in to the combine you need to look clean and neat and not be cocky, but who knows? Maybe a team will like his over-confidence... Let's just hope it's not Buddy Nix.

Bangarang
02-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Shaq always considered himself those things. He was still dominant on the court. I don't care if Newton calls himself the 2nd coming of Jesus. If he produces at a high level nobody will care.

Novacane
02-23-2011, 02:31 PM
BUST!

Night Train
02-23-2011, 02:34 PM
The guys act resembles a heel in pro wrestling.

It will be confirmed this weekend at the Combine, when he gives Rich Eisen a chair shot.

Boomstick
02-23-2011, 02:45 PM

It will be confirmed this weekend at the Combine, when he gives Rich Eisen a chair shot.

Now if we could only get a face to chair shot John Clayton or Chris Mortenson...

Figster
02-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Do we really want this kind of character on our team? I mean he considers himself an "icon" already.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Cam-Newton-entertainer-icon-interview-022211/?gt1=39002

The BCS National Championship was the most watched program in the history of cable television, star attraction, Cam Newton. Newton is an entertainer and he is an icon, just ask Under Armour what they think about the situation.

On the comment about Newton doing more in one year then most do throughout college, its true. 14-0, Heisman winner, rushes for over 1,500 yards from the QB position, scores 20 TD's on the ground, 30 TD's passing, 183 QB rating, National Champ. Who does all that ? Answer nobody, nobody but Cam Newton has ever put together a season like that and I challenge anyone to prove otherwise.

To make things worse his comment was taken out of context. When you put the question in front of it, "Cam many people out there are calling you a one year wonder, what do you say to that?" All of the sudden it doesn't sound near as arrogant does it.

Cam Newton is getting tore apart for being forthright/honest, and I can't wait until I see his smiling face as the MVP of the Superbowl one day.

Just hope its for us...

Note: Just came out on Mike and Mike, Cam Newton statement was responding to a question about the endorsement deal with under armor not about football. I hope someone in SI gets fried for this BS, manufacturing stories is piss poor journalism

Extremebillsfan247
02-23-2011, 04:01 PM
The BCS National Championship was the most watched program in the history of cable television, star attraction, Cam Newton. Newton is an entertainer and he is an icon, just ask Under Armour what they think about the situation.

On the comment about Newton doing more in one year then most do throughout college, its true. 14-0, Heisman winner, rushes for over 1,500 yards from the QB position, scores 20 TD's on the ground, 30 TD's passing, 183 QB rating, National Champ. Who does all that ? Answer nobody, nobody but Cam Newton has ever put together a season like that and I challenge anyone to prove otherwise.

To make things worse his comment was taken out of context. When you put the question in front of it, "Cam many people out there are calling you a one year wonder, what do you say to that?" All of the sudden it doesn't sound near as arrogant does it.

Cam Newton is getting tore apart for being forthright/honest, and I can't wait until I see his smiling face as the MVP of the Superbowl one day.

Just hope its for us...

You really seem to be in this guys corner. Your right, not many if any college players have had that kind of season before. Newton is an extremely gifted athlete. Anyone thinking otherwise would have to be ignorant. He's earned his shot to show what he can do on the big stage.

What I really want to know is if this guy can rebound when things don't go so well as they eventually do in the pros. I want to see how he handles an event similar to what Stevie Johnson went through last year when he dropped the game winning td pass from Fitz against Pittsburgh. What was it that Coach Gailey said after that? "There's the humble, and then there's the humbled". I have a feeling Mr. Cam Newton is going to get a taste of that really soon. JMO

Saratoga Slim
02-23-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm so sick of losing that he can say whatever he wants...so long as he understands that he's never going to have a season like he did at Auburn in the NFL unless he's the first guy in and the last guy out. Guys with talent and charisma are a dime a dozen at the next level. Attitude only bothers me if it's not backed up by effort and production.

Bangarang
02-23-2011, 04:12 PM
You really seem to be in this guys corner. Your right, not many if any college players have had that kind of season before. Newton is an extremely gifted athlete. Anyone thinking otherwise would have to be ignorant. He's earned his shot to show what he can do on the big stage.

What I really want to know is if this guy can rebound when things don't go so well as they eventually do in the pros. I want to see how he handles an event similar to what Stevie Johnson went through last year when he dropped the game winning td pass from Fitz against Pittsburgh. What was it that Coach Gailey said after that? "There's the humble, and then there's the humbled". I have a feeling Mr. Cam Newton is going to get a taste of that really soon. JMO

You mean like being in the center of a pay for play scandal, being scrutinized for stuff he did as an 18 year old freshman in college and still having the adversity to lead his team to the BCS National Championship?

Thief
02-23-2011, 04:16 PM
I swear the less someone knows about this guy the more they are haters. Dude is going to be a stud. He is not a slacker. And, confidence isn't a bad thing.

Did you guys know he wears a rubberband on his wrist and he snaps it after a bad throw to remind him to put it behind him and move on?

Figster
02-23-2011, 04:17 PM
I swear the less someone knows about this guy the more they are haters. Dude is going to be a stud. He is not a slacker. And, confidence isn't a bad thing.

Did you guys know he wears a rubberband on his wrist and he snaps it after a bad throw to remind him to put it behind him and move on?

Thanks, that's a cool tidbit of info

Extremebillsfan247
02-23-2011, 04:24 PM
You mean like being in the center of a pay for play scandal, being scrutinized for stuff he did as an 18 year old freshman in college and still having the adversity to lead his team to the BCS National Championship?No, I mean like actually giving the team a chance to win a potentially huge game, and make a costly mistake that causes you a football game. That's when you find out about a persons true character. I want to know if he is going to turn on his team mates, or throw his coach under the bus, or blame god etc..

Joe Fo Sho
02-23-2011, 05:13 PM

Did you know that Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning don't do that?

psubills62
02-23-2011, 05:51 PM
It's amusing when obsessed people mistake arrogance for confidence.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 05:56 PM
It's amusing when obsessed people mistake arrogance for confidence.I'd like to simply let the teams decide where he's at as far as character goes. Although, on the surface, I don't tend to like comments like that, I'm not in his head and I don't know what he meant by it.

Extremebillsfan247
02-23-2011, 06:22 PM
It's amusing when obsessed people mistake arrogance for confidence. Would you not agree that there is a fine line between arrogance and confidence however different they may be in definition?

X-Era
02-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Would you not agree that there is a fine line between arrogance and confidence however different they may be in definition?I'd say every player who steps on the football field better be confident or they don't belong in the NFL. In fact, I think Gailey has said as much.

ParanoidAndroid
02-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Shaq always considered himself those things. He was still dominant on the court. I don't care if Newton calls himself the 2nd coming of Jesus. If he produces at a high level nobody will care.

Shaq was absolutely dominant and he did all that trash talking with a sense of humor.... not a good comparison.

Extremebillsfan247
02-23-2011, 06:32 PM
I'd say every player who steps on the football field better be confident or they don't belong in the NFL. In fact, I think Gailey has said as much.Right, I was relating to the fact that it can be quite easy to see confidence as arrogance, and it really depends on point of view that determines what level of confidence is seen as arrogance or vice versa, not that confidence were something you shouldn't have or is a bad thing. Maybe, I was misunderstood.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Right, I was relating to the fact that it can be quite easy to see confidence as arrogance, and it really depends on point of view that determines what level of confidence is seen as arrogance or vice versa.That's why I like the idea of letting the character minded Nix and Gailey make the call.

Johnny Bugmenot
02-23-2011, 07:10 PM

Unfortunately, the XFL folded about 10 years ago, and it paid peanuts compared to a top-3 draft pick.

elltrain22
02-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Still wouldn't mind us drafting him, but a really, really, really stupid thing to say. At best, even if he didn't mean that how it sounded (which I highly doubt), his public perception has changed for the worse, and he's made himself that much more of a target to the media.

He better be good, b/c if he isn't he's setting himself up to be the biggest bust in the history of the NFL.

HAMMER
02-24-2011, 11:20 AM

A rubber band? Ya don't say. Well, that's solidifies it for me.

SABURZFAN
02-24-2011, 06:24 PM
as long as X-Era doesn't change his name to Newton-Era, Cam could have a shot being an entertainer and icon. :whistle:

X-Era
02-24-2011, 06:29 PM
as long as X-Era doesn't change his name to Newton-Era, Cam could have a shot being an entertainer and icon. :whistle:X-Era is staying until we make a playoff run... Not to worry.

SABURZFAN
02-24-2011, 06:33 PM
X-Era is staying until we make a playoff run... Not to worry.

i'm glad we have that in writing. i just hope word doesn't get around the NFL. nobody will want to come to Buffalo. :snicker:

better days
02-24-2011, 06:33 PM
X-Era is staying until we make a playoff run... Not to worry.

How about until the last game of that run is played & the Bills have won the Super Bowl?

X-Era
02-24-2011, 06:41 PM
How about until the last game of that run is played & the Bills have won the Super Bowl?Deal.