PDA

View Full Version : Nice piece on Gabbert on ESPN

X-Era
02-23-2011, 03:21 PM
It's on Sportscenter. Quick piece. If you get a chance, check it out.

Michael82
02-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Yeah, it's been playing all day long. It was pretty cool and he seems like a good kid. Plus he's got a good guy coaching him right now. I just hate his California surfer boy haircut...it reminds me of Rob Johnson, JP Losman and even Trent Edwards... :ill:

ServoBillieves
02-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Just did, and I'm still not impressed with his release/speed. The guy seems to have really slow momentum on the ball. But I do like his confidence and, eh... I dunno with this guy.

better days
02-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Todd McShay thinks he is better than Newton for whatever that is worth.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Just did, and I'm still not impressed with his release/speed. The guy seems to have really slow momentum on the ball. But I do like his confidence and, eh... I dunno with this guy.He has the quickest release in this class IMO. It's very quick. Don't watch the slow throws in that practice setting, watch him in the games. His fast release is one of his best assets.

ServoBillieves
02-23-2011, 03:34 PM
He has the quickest release in this class IMO. It's very quick. Don't watch the slow throws in that practice setting, watch him in the games. His fast release is one of his best assets.

I meant his speed in his drop back/running. Seems like a Leftwhich to me, with the quick release but sloooow in his drop back. Behind this line, you need to do your 5 step, find your man and let it go under 3 seconds. Hell I want to say 2 seconds.

X-Era
02-23-2011, 03:39 PM
I meant his speed in his drop back/running. Seems like a Leftwhich to me, with the quick release but sloooow in his drop back. Behind this line, you need to do your 5 step, find your man and let it go under 3 seconds. Hell I want to say 2 seconds.To be honest, if anything I thought he got happy feet too much and needed to be a bit more patient. He certainly can use development on his pocket presence, but it's not bad now IMO, and he makes a lot of plays when the play breaks down or on the run. I think he will develop just fine. I like his mental markup, he seems like a real bright kid, good leader, and dedicated to the game. I really don't have any real concern on him only think he's raw and will need to develop polish.

Bangarang
02-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Todd McShay thinks he is better than Newton for whatever that is worth.

Wasn't it McShay that started the Gabbert hype train?

psubills62
02-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Wasn't it McShay that started the Gabbert hype train?

And the Locker hype train last year.

elltrain22
02-23-2011, 06:57 PM
I couldn't really take him seriously b/c he looked like Sunshine from Remember the Titans.

Buffalo Thriller
02-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Gabbert has the same release speed as Phillip Rivers IMO.

X-Era
02-24-2011, 05:31 AM
Gabbert has the same release speed as Phillip Rivers IMO.Much better mechanics, Rivers has the side armed release that almost looks like he pushes it. Gabbert has a nice 3/4 to over the top release.

alohabillsfan
02-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Gabbert threw 16 td's and 9 ints last year in the pass happy big 12 that plays little defense. pass

X-Era
02-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Gabbert threw 16 td's and 9 ints last year in the pass happy big 12 that plays little defense. passAlso had 3186 yards, completed 63.4% of his passes, and had a rating of 127.03. I'd take it.

jamze132
02-24-2011, 08:28 AM
What was his completion percentage on throws longer than 20 yrds?

alohabillsfan
02-24-2011, 08:32 AM
Also had 3186 yards, completed 63.4% of his passes, and had a rating of 127.03. I'd take it.

a 127.03 rating puts him at 69 out of 116..
21st in passing yards
87th out of 116 in yards per attempt, umm NO

X-Era
02-24-2011, 08:33 AM
What was his completion percentage on throws longer than 20 yrds?Don't know off the top of my head. His spread system tended to be shorter routes. He has a very strong arm and can make every throw. Also has good accuracy and can place the ball in the right spots.

Night Train
02-24-2011, 08:34 AM
What's her name ?

Thanks..I'm here all week. Try the veal.

X-Era
02-24-2011, 08:34 AM
a 127.03 rating puts him at 69 out of 116..
21st in passing yards
87th out of 116 in yards per attempt, umm NOYou want the guy who has the best numbers? To me that's not as important as how a player projects to the NFL and I like everything about the kid as far as that goes.

TacklingDummy
02-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Picking Gabbert at #3 will set this franchise back another 3 years.

alohabillsfan
02-24-2011, 08:42 AM
I just pointed out where he stands amongst his peers and the fact that he played against teams with relatively weak defenses as a whole. I wouldn't even think of drafting him at 3. Thats MHO and why.

X-Era
02-24-2011, 08:56 AM
I just pointed out where he stands amongst his peers and the fact that he played against teams with relatively weak defenses as a whole. I wouldn't even think of drafting him at 3. Thats MHO and why.I'm fine with anyone having an opinion, that's all I'm stating as well. I obviously don't know what he will do in the NFL, no one does.

But the big 12 was no slouch of a conference and many of these games were tough. I would have liked to have seen him take over the Nebraska game or the Texas Tech game but he didn't. Does that mean he won't ever be good in the NFL? I don't see it that way. In fact, the guy has been a play maker in many games and has lead his team to victory many times as well.

I'd also offer that Gabberts run game, I mean no one ran for more than 550 yards, and receivers aren't that great either. Certainly not as good as when Maclin, Chase Coffman, and Danario Alexander were there in 08. IMO, Gabbert was the star of the offense and lead the team to the bulk of those wins and a 7 and 0 start before playing that bad game against Neb.

As I've said about the guy, he needs more polish. But I like that he can sit on this team and learn behind Fitz and especially Gailey.

Figster
02-24-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm fine with anyone having an opinion, that's all I'm stating as well. I obviously don't know what he will do in the NFL, no one does.

But the big 12 was no slouch of a conference and many of these games were tough. I would have liked to have seen him take over the Nebraska game or the Texas Tech game but he didn't. Does that mean he won't ever be good in the NFL? I don't see it that way. In fact, the guy has been a play maker in many games and has lead his team to victory many times as well.

I'd also offer that Gabberts run game, I mean no one ran for more than 550 yards, and receivers aren't that great either. Certainly not as good as when Maclin, Chase Coffman, and Danario Alexander were there in 08. IMO, Gabbert was the star of the offense and lead the team to the bulk of those wins and a 7 and 0 start before playing that bad game against Neb.

As I've said about the guy, he needs more polish. But I like that he can sit on this team and learn behind Fitz and especially Gailey.

My gut tells me Newtons a Panther so I'll be studying up on Blaine Gabbert more now.

X-Era
02-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Mayock just said he believes Blaine Gabbert is a franchise caliber QB in this draft.

FWIW.

Nighthawk
02-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Picking Gabbert at #3 will set this franchise back another 3 years.

You know what, of all the analysts out there, I respect Mike Mayock the most and he really likes Gabbert, so that has to mean something. You can't just discount the fact that there are "experts" out there who believe he is a franchise QB. That being said, you've got to be absolutely certain that he is a franchise QB if you want to take him at #3.

X-Era
02-25-2011, 04:28 AM
You know what, of all the analysts out there, I respect Mike Mayock the most and he really likes Gabbert, so that has to mean something. You can't just discount the fact that there are "experts" out there who believe he is a franchise QB. That being said, you've got to be absolutely certain that he is a franchise QB if you want to take him at #3.And the reason he is so high on him now is because he went back and watched more film. The smart thing to do is to reserve your final judgement on a player until you have done all your homework. Sometimes that won't happen until the season is over and you can watch all the tape you missed or look more closely at the finer points.

I'm fine with anyone saying they don't think he will be good, or that they don't like him. I simply have a different opinion.

jamze132
02-25-2011, 05:50 AM
Don't know off the top of my head. His spread system tended to be shorter routes. He has a very strong arm and can make every throw. Also has good accuracy and can place the ball in the right spots.
Would you take him at 3 over Newton?

X-Era
02-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Would you take him at 3 over Newton?Possibly. If Newton's character looks like a question mark for the Bills then I wouldn't want him. If the Bills like the way Gabbert projects in their offense, yes I would be comfortable with them making that pick.

Put it this way, I think a franchise QB is worthy of the 3 pick. If the Bills feel one or the other or both is that type of player, I'd be fine with that pick.

As I've said before, none of these guys are as sure a thing as Luck appears to be, but Luck will never be in our equation without a trade up to the 1st pick.

And if Luck's likelihood of being a franchise QB is, say, 80%, I think Gabberts would be more like 75% IMO... not 0%. It's all a matter of likelihood, not black and white.

Mr. Pink
02-25-2011, 11:36 AM
The only reason people are so high on Gabbert is because Luck decided to stay in school. If Luck declared, Gabbert would be a low 1st to 2nd round pick.

Luck staying in school has helped Gabbert, Newton and Locker elevate their draft positions.

trapezeus
02-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Yeah, it's been playing all day long. It was pretty cool and he seems like a good kid. Plus he's got a good guy coaching him right now. I just hate his California surfer boy haircut...it reminds me of Rob Johnson, JP Losman and even Trent Edwards... :ill:

Mikey, this is us getting old. I bet a lot of the kids in the next 30 years will do something that we find so annoying because that's not how we did it. you can't judge these guys based solely on where they are from and how they cut their hair. I know you aren't....but i'm just saying, i think this will happen to us a lot more.

"those kids listen to that rock 'n Roll"

:-)