PDA

View Full Version : Gailey PC at NFL Combine

psubills62
02-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Notes:

http://twitter.com/RavensInsider/

Chan gailey says bills will be a hybrid 34 and 43 defense says that pass rush is a big consideration in the draft

Chan gailey expressed confidence in ryan fitzpatrick says he regrets not giving him the job out of camp

Chan gailey on cj spiller it didn't work out like any of us planned says he still thinks hell be a great player

Gailey says spiller needs to improve ball security pass protection going to be very productive gailey thinks

Raptor
02-24-2011, 09:30 AM
is there anywhere to watch the video?

Commissioner
02-24-2011, 09:35 AM
He also said he was anxious to meet Cam Newton.

psubills62
02-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Not that I'm aware of.

More:

http://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry

#Bills (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bills) coach Chan Gailey says team will run more of a 4-3 defense this year.
When I say more 4-3 defense for the #Bills (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bills). They will still use a 3-4 defense. Gailey will fit defense to his players strengths. Also a quote from Goodberry (this is not Gailey):

I've heard Newton has a sense of entitlement about him. Not suprised. Plus he just got that big under armor deal

X-Era
02-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Hybrid defense? 4-3 with 3-4 looks? need pass rush?

I think Bowers may have now moved squarely into the Bills sights. I think he's one of the top 2 players in this draft, and although he may be a better fit in the 4-3, he's got the lower body, strength, and weight to play in the 3-4 IMO.

He may be ideal for us based on these comments.

X-Era
02-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Not that I'm aware of.

More:

http://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry

Also:

Hold up. The Newton comment looks like it came from Goodberry not Gailey. Is that the case?

psubills62
Bybrid defense? 4-3 with 3-4 looks? need pass rush?

I think Bowers may have now moved squarely into the Bills sights. I think he's one of the top 2 players in this draft, and although he may be a better fit in the 4-3, he's got the lower body, strength, and weight to play in the 3-4 IMO.

Quinn might also be a possibility. Seems to be a decent fit at OLB or DE. I wouldn't rule out Dareus, either.

psubills62
Hold up. The Newton comment looks like it came from Goodberry not Gailey. Is that the case?

It did come from Goodberry. I didn't clarify that, sorry.

X-Era
02-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Quinn might also be a possibility. Seems to be a decent fit at OLB or DE. I wouldn't rule out Dareus, either.Only thing is, we already have our two starters in the 5 tech in a 4-3... Williams and Troup. Dareus isn't as great a fit as a DE in a hybrid.

psubills62
02-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Only thing is, we already have our two starters in the 5 tech in a 4-3... Williams and Troup. Dareus isn't as great a fit as a DE in a hybrid.

I'm not opposed to loading up on DL and creating a stud rotation, similar to Baltimore. Get Dareus and you've got 3 potential starters at DE in the 3-4, and 3 potential starters at DT in the 4-3.

X-Era
02-24-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm not opposed to loading up on DL and creating a stud rotation, similar to Baltimore. Get Dareus and you've got 3 potential starters at DE in the 3-4, and 3 potential starters at DT in the 4-3.Don't disagree there. Although a stud pass rushing DE who can play both the 3-4 and 4-3 at DE may be more bang for the buck.

But he may not drop to 3.

psubills62
02-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Don't disagree there. Although a stud pass rushing DE who can play both the 3-4 and 4-3 at DE may be more bang for the buck.

But he may not drop to 3.

If they choose Bowers, I wouldn't have a big problem with it. I'm still a little leery of him, though. As much as they mentioned pass rush, our run defense is still the worst part of this D (hopefully they realize that, ugh), so I think Dareus would be a better fit. Thankfully they'll have plenty of options at 3 no matter what position people want.

X-Era
02-24-2011, 10:28 AM
If they choose Bowers, I wouldn't have a big problem with it. I'm still a little leery of him, though. As much as they mentioned pass rush, our run defense is still the worst part of this D (hopefully they realize that, ugh), so I think Dareus would be a better fit. Thankfully they'll have plenty of options at 3 no matter what position people want.Agree Dareus would be better against the run, but Bowers is no slouch. He's strong at the point and gets off blocks well. Put it this way, he's not just a finesse rusher who won't contribute against the run, he much more well rounded than that IMO.

tcb5033
02-24-2011, 10:29 AM
If we are still uncertain about which defense we are playing...and it appears we are...I think Dareus will be the pick then. He's a proven DE and can accel in the 3-4, but he also has the size and strength to move into DT in a 4-3. He's the perfect combo package for our (lack of) scheme.

Having said that, any of these guys would improve our fledgling defense.

DraftBoy
02-24-2011, 10:30 AM

No a hybrid 3-4 with 4-3 looks not the other way around. Our base defense is a 3-4.

DraftBoy
02-24-2011, 10:31 AM

Should be on NFL.com eventually I think.

better days
02-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Mayock says Fairley can play any position in any defense, 3-4 or 4-3.

Figster
02-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Chan Gailey on Sirius

The Combine will not change the majority of what you have seen for 9 months, but you are just making sure he looks like he fits, he is healthy and maybe he'll have some good 40 times and perform well.

On the Steelers, and last season:
"We were 25% successful" in a win, bottom line business. They built a foundation, and found things that they can grow on / answers. They found the answer on QB, and they found out they had more then Lee Evans at WR."

Drafted players:
The majority of them will help us improve, and the OL has improved.

Nix found some great guys to put on "our" football team at OL

On Fitz:
Improvement - "As time went on during the season he had a much better understanding of what we were trying to do offensively" - - routes, defenses, plays. "The great thing about Fitz is I can talk to him about terms, and he understands." "He understands how important it is not to take sacks or throw INT's and got enough gunslinger in him to make him dangerous. -"

Fitz or draft.
Q: We get a lot of Bills fans calling us up and asking us if they will take a QB in the first round. Are you guys looking for a QB in the first round or is Ryan Fitzpatrick the QB of the Buffalo Bills?
"Yes on both accounts...The thing is we are fortunate to have a QB we think we can win with, we do. We think Fitz can go out there and get us to the playoffs and get us to the championship. I would not put it past him to be honest with you. I got a lot of confidence in the guy. I am not sure if Fitz, because of his age or what he has been through that if you can turn him in to a franchise, a guy that will play 10 or 12 years from you and be that guy that will last 12 years. I am not sure he has got that many years left. So, what we've got is a guy that can play and win, but if there is a franchise QB sitting there for the good of the organization, we gotta go with it." EXACTLY QUOTED

On a QB being an entertainer, etc, basically Newton...how does it make you feel?
"I think what you, you know, tell me some things you said when you were 20 or 21 years old..." "
commentator: I want a guy studying film tape on a tuesday, etc, not filming a commercial...
"I do not disagree with that, the thing you gotta ask yourself is do you know him well enough to know is that cockyness or confidence. And there is a line there and you have to be a little bit concerned. That could be a plus, so where is the line on that, and without enoguh information I hesitate to say I do not care what was said or I do not want that guy no matter what.." "Until you get enough information as you can, don't commit."

What Does chan gailey want to know about cam
"I want to see in a short period of time how much football he knows. Pro Football he knows. Not reading the end on the option, how much pro football knowledge does he know and seem comfortable with it. I can go memorize the elements of it but I do't know chemistry. So how much does he feel comfortable with it, how much does he use it. That's the number one thing I am going to try to get out of it."

The run D
"I think we have to get stronger and more physical up front, we have to be able to create run defense, whether running or movement. i do think we'll be better if we keep everyone healthy and everyone knows the system. I think adding dave wannstadt will add something to our run dfense. I think with thought processes and schemes, but i don't know that but that is the plan."

on thought process/ 3-4 / 4-3
which is better... "yes." He promoted the hybrid system, wanting to do combinations to put the best players on the field, such as Merriman and Kelsay on the field to rush the passer.

On Merriman
"we Think he has a great deal left. Nix knows him better then anyone, has a great relationship with the guy. If buddy tells me he can get healthy and make a major contribution then I believe that." paraphrased. He goes on to say he's confident

on CJ
"Not what anyone of us wanted." No one, fans, etc. "I think everyone expected more production. I do not think it is his fault. I think it is my fault, um...the situation you are putting in a new offense trying ot find a new offense, you got that going the first few weeks. you don't have things other then him, lynch and jackson hurt all preseason and now they are back. I know they are all excuses." "but i think we know how to use him now." " i think he'll be more productive from now on." "he has to work on pass protection and ball security. get good at those two, he'll have a very good buffalo bill career.

X-Era
02-24-2011, 10:34 AM
No a hybrid 3-4 with 4-3 looks not the other way around. Our base defense is a 3-4.That's not how I took this comment:

From Joel Goodberry:

#Bills coach Chan Gailey says team will run more of a 4-3 defense this year.

X-Era
02-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Fitz or draft.
Q: We get a lot of Bills fans calling us up and asking us if they will take a QB in the first round. Are you guys looking for a QB in the first round or is Ryan Fitzpatrick the QB of the Buffalo Bills?
"Yes on both accounts...The thing is we are fortunate to have a QB we think we can win with, we do. We think Fitz can go out there and get us to the playoffs and get us to the championship. I would not put it past him to be honest with you. I got a lot of confidence in the guy. I am not sure if Fitz, because of his age or what he has been through that if you can turn him in to a franchise, a guy that will play 10 or 12 years from you and be that guy that will last 12 years. I am not sure he has got that many years left. So, what we've got is a guy that can play and win, but if there is a franchise QB sitting there for the good of the organization, we gotta go with it." EXACTLY QUOTED

On a QB being an entertainer, etc, basically Newton...how does it make you feel?
"I think what you, you know, tell me some things you said when you were 20 or 21 years old..." "
commentator: I want a guy studying film tape on a tuesday, etc, not filming a commercial...
"I do not disagree with that, the thing you gotta ask yourself is do you know him well enough to know is that cockyness or confidence. And there is a line there and you have to be a little bit concerned. That could be a plus, so where is the line on that, and without enoguh information I hesitate to say I do not care what was said or I do not want that guy no matter what.." "Until you get enough information as you can, don't commit."
I LOVE that comment. That's exactly the right approach. Get to know the guy, investigate what type of person he is, and make your own conclusion.

Figster
02-24-2011, 10:44 AM
I LOVE that comment. That's exactly the right approach. Get to know the guy, investigate what type of person he is, and make your own conclusion.

Its to bad that under armor question and answer (or just the answer i should say) is still getting kicked around and still out of context. At least Gailey seemed to take it with a grain of salt.

stuckincincy
02-24-2011, 10:51 AM
It's my understanding that the draft is pretty deep in DL prospects.

If (the big if) they can find a willing partner or two...I would like to see them trade down and hire some rookie OL talent.

kingJofNYC
02-24-2011, 10:52 AM
More Gailey quotes from PC:

Asked if he was concerned at all that Newton was just a one-year starter at Auburn, Gailey said, "I don't think developing the 'one-year guy' is as big as developing the guy that's not been in a typical type of offense, a pro style of offense. When you're trying to change a guy's thought process into a certain mode, that's a little harder to me than it is to take a one-year guy. A one-year guy who's been in a 'pro' type of offense, to me he's going to understand and be further along than the guy who spent one year in a non-traditional offense."

http://www.csnne.com/02/24/11/Bills-Gailey-skeptical-of-QBs-from-non-t/landing_patriots.html?blockID=417012&feedID=6272

All about the X's and O's

better days
02-24-2011, 10:56 AM
That's not how I took this comment:

From Joel Goodberry:

#Bills coach Chan Gailey says team will run more of a 4-3 defense this year.

I heard an interview with Wanstadt & he said the Bills would run a combination of both like last year.

better days
02-24-2011, 10:58 AM
It's my understanding that the draft is pretty deep in DL prospects.

If (the big if) they can find a willing partner or two...I would like to see them trade down and hire some rookie OL talent.

Mayock has 12 DL players with a 1st rnd grade.

Figster
02-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Highlights from Chan Gailey at the Combine/ Tim Grahahm

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/26262/highlights-from-chan-gailey-at-combine

He is "anxious" to see Auburn quarterback Cam Newton (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/27308/cam-newton) work out in Lucas Oil Stadium and called him "a big athlete that's in that Wildcat mode, but obviously has the ability to go to the dropback-passer mode."
Gailey claimed he wasn't concerned with Newton being a one-year starter at Auburn.
Ten years ago, the NFL dictated to colleges how quarterbacks should play. In the next decade, Gailey foresees college football dictating how the NFL uses the quarterbacks who emerge from whatever offenses work in college.

DraftBoy
02-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Gailey called Newton a Wildcat QB.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Buffalo-Bills-Chan-Gailey-calls-Cam-Newton-wildcat-quarterback-022411?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Thursday, Buffalo Bills head coach Chan Gailey called Newton a “wildcat” quarterback because he played primarily out of the shotgun at Auburn and ran a lot out of that formation.

DraftBoy
02-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Full Chan Gailey Transcript from his PC;
http://wgr550.com/Chan-Gailey-transcript-from-NFL-Combine-2-24/9274268

k-oneputt
02-24-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm starting to think Bowers is the dl they really want.

DraftBoy
02-24-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm starting to think Bowers is the dl they really want.

Could be, or they could go in a completely different direction.

Philagape
02-24-2011, 12:01 PM
At least no one can now say the Bills won't draft Bowers because he "doesn't fit the scheme."

Which they couldn't really say before either, because 1. the defense was hybrid last year too, and 2. Gailey's MO is to fit the scheme to the talent, not vice-versa. He said that when he arrived here.

Nighthawk
02-24-2011, 12:13 PM
This is what he is saying about Fitz. We have a guy who can hold the position, but really isn't a guy we believe is good enough to win a championship, but we don't want to say the wrong thing, just in case we have to count on Fitz for one more year if the guy we like (Gabbert or Newton) is not there at #3.

That's what I get from his comments.

Philagape
02-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Gailey claimed he wasn't concerned with Newton being a one-year starter at Auburn.

ONLY if that one year was in a pro-style offense.

Nighthawk
02-24-2011, 12:15 PM

Yeah, because the Bills run a "pro-style" offense... :lmao:

Philagape
02-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah, because the Bills run a "pro-style" offense... :lmao:

That's what he said, but what does he know, he's only their coach ...

Prov401
02-24-2011, 12:30 PM

I like Bowers. But judging by all Denver fan forums, Bowers is an Elway favorite. I know they're just forums but it's plastered everywhere.

Prov401
02-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Could be, or they could go in a completely different direction.

I don't think there is any sneaky smoke screen illusion that Buddy and Chan try to pull over anybody. Last year Gailey expressed how he wants the BPA. Everybody was saying, 'don't listen to Nix, it's draft talk', and he goes out and drafts BPA regardless of the position. And Spiller was definitely the bpa. Everybody on that ESPN panel loved the pick, and Gruden even said CJ would win ROY.

This year, Nix and Gailey have talked about how they were dead last in run defense, and how they need to sure up the front 7. I think that's exactly what they are going to do.

Figster
02-24-2011, 12:39 PM

I'm getting more and more of a gut feeling Newton is going to be a Panther

I knew when Andrew Luck decided not to enter the 2011 Draft it would come back to haunt us, or me anyway.

Just my luck...

stuckincincy
02-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Mayock has 12 DL players with a 1st rnd grade.

Mayock is pretty wise.

With that number, BUF might want to address their (long-standing) OL woes.

I know some fans still smart over the Williams pick. I was very surprised myself - a huge body supported by toothpick ankles. CIN committed the same error with that tub 'o goo T Andre Smith.

I always shake my head at the idea that the pro scouts know best. Pro football is owned and staffed - essentially - by egomaniacs.

IMO, there is no lack of astute fans who could do a better job.

baalworship
02-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Both Nix and Gailey are pointing to pass rush as the number one need in the Bills mind.

mrbojanglezs
02-24-2011, 05:13 PM

bunch of videos including this one on buffalobills.com

Don't Panic
02-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Only thing is, we already have our two starters in the 5 tech in a 4-3... Williams and Troup. Dareus isn't as great a fit as a DE in a hybrid.

Troup and Williams as 5 techniques....? Dareus not good at DE? Not sure about those statements. The only way I see Troup and Williams on the field together is in a 4-3 look. Dareus could play on literally every down on defense in any formation IMO.

stuckincincy
02-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Short blurb by Gailey in this morning's Cincinnati Enquirer:

Bengals' quarterback options iffy
Joe Reedy, Cincinnati Enquirer Feb. 25, 2011:

...""It's not just your cut-and-dried pro-style of quarterbacks in this draft," said Buffalo coach Chan Gailey, whose team has the No. 3 pick. "So you're projecting a little bit more maybe than we have in years past on this group."

The differences on offense in college and pro ball can be profound, especially for a quarterback.

"You can handle it in shorts," Gailey said.

"But can you handle it when there's big guys on the other side about two yards away coming at you?"...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110224/SPT02/102250365/Bengals-quarterback-options-iffy-?odyssey=mod_sectionstories

X-Era
02-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Troup and Williams as 5 techniques....? Dareus not good at DE? Not sure about those statements. The only way I see Troup and Williams on the field together is in a 4-3 look. Dareus could play on literally every down on defense in any formation IMO. as great a fit as a DE in a hybrid