PDA

View Full Version : Gailey with the opening presser at the combine

kingJofNYC
02-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Just spoke, we need info.

Went searching on twitter, found the following.

I just attended Chan Gailey's presser In Indy. What did I take from it? He wants nothing to do with Cam Newton.

psubills62
02-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Interesting, I'd like to see the quotes where the person got that from.

kingJofNYC
02-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Interesting, I'd like to see the quotes where the person got that from.

He's probably full of ****, you'd think someone else would have reported it by now. Doubt Gailey would tip his hand in such a way. Probably should can this thread, yours has much better info.

psubills62
02-24-2011, 09:42 AM
He's probably full of ****, you'd think someone else would have reported it by now. Doubt Gailey would tip his hand in such a way. Probably should can this thread, yours has much better info.

I've read quotes from Gailey saying he's eager to meet Newton. The guy you're quoting could have gotten the vibe that they're really leery about him.

X-Era
02-24-2011, 09:47 AM
I will say this clearly.

If Gailey doesn't like Newton's character, then I am totally comfortable with us having nothing to do with him.

I have said from the start that I want Nix and Gailey to decide on his character.

kingJofNYC
02-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Was reading up on Gus Malzahn's offense, and he supposedly only uses 4 run concepts and 6 pass concepts in his scheme. The simpler the better is his mantra.

Character will definitely play a huge roll, but once they actually start throwing x and o's his way in interviews he'll either sink or swim.

OpIv37
02-24-2011, 09:54 AM
I hope he's right but you can't take anything coaches or GM's say seriously this time of year.

If Gailey does want Newton, he doesn't want other teams to know that. Also, he doesn't want Fitzpatrick to know that because if we don't get Newton, it could hurt his confidence to know we were trying.

Coaches and GM's are always media savvy, but even moreso this time of year.

Commissioner
02-24-2011, 10:24 AM
I've read quotes from Gailey saying he's eager to meet Newton. The guy you're quoting could have gotten the vibe that they're really leery about him.

or maybe he's being sarcastic....

Figster
02-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Gailey on Newton
10:22
AM ETBuffalo Bills TopEmailCommentsShare Reporting from the NFL combine, ESPN's Chris Sprow passes along some intel from Buffalo Bills head coach Chan Gailey's media availability: namely, that the team is going to be taking a hard look at Auburn quarterback Cam Newton.

At No. 3 overall, it's believed that the Bills may be interested in taking a QB if they are under the impression he can be developed into their next leader at the position. Bear in mind that this is a team that has been looking for their next great QB ever since Jim Kelly retired. If the Carolina Panthers pass on Newton, and the Denver Broncos don't trade their No. 2 pick to a team wanting to nab him, this puts the Bills on the spot. This week's interviews will greatly impact whether or not they pull the trigger.

As you'll recall, ESPN NFL Draft mastermind Mel Kiper, Jr. chose Newton for the Bills in his latest mock draft:

- Tim Kavanagh

Guys, this is a very real possibility. I think if both Gabbert and Newton impress the coaching staff, one way or the other we'll be getting our new quarterback at 3.

psubills62
02-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Asked if he was concerned at all that Newton was just a one-year starter at Auburn, Gailey said, "I don't think developing the 'one-year guy' is as big as developing the guy that's not been in a typical type of offense, a pro style of offense. When you're trying to change a guy's thought process into a certain mode, that's a little harder to me than it is to take a one-year guy. A one-year guy who's been in a 'pro' type of offense, to me he's going to understand and be further along than the guy who spent one year in a non-traditional offense."

I'm betting that's where "jetswhispers" is getting his feeling from.

http://www.csnne.com/02/24/11/Bills-Gailey-skeptical-of-QBs-from-non-t/landing_patriots.html?blockID=417012&feedID=6272