PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who really want Newton at #3

Mr. Miyagi
02-24-2011, 11:11 AM
Did you want Clausen in the first round last year too?

My personal preference - No thanks on Newton. Not at #3, not in the 6th round.

malvado78
02-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Your right not at 3 but I will take him in the 6th round...

k-oneputt
02-24-2011, 11:34 AM
I'll take him in the 6th also.

Jan Reimers
02-24-2011, 11:35 AM
I'll take him in the 6th also.
I'd even take him in the 5th.

k-oneputt
02-24-2011, 11:36 AM
i'll go to the 3rd. final offer.

OpIv37
02-24-2011, 11:36 AM
some people don't seem to realize that our need for a QB doesn't necessarily make one available.

DraftBoy
02-24-2011, 11:44 AM
i'll go to the 3rd. final offer.

Id take him in Round 2.

Mr. Miyagi
02-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Too much risk for me. His showboating personality is scaring me off big time. Maybe it's not a fair comparison, but I fear that raining money in a strip club might be in his future.

Nighthawk
02-24-2011, 12:17 PM
some people don't seem to realize that our need for a QB doesn't necessarily make one available.

Would totally love to have seen your opinion on whether there was Franchise QB available the year Rodgers was drafted.

All I'm saying, is let's not pretend that we have a crystal ball and know if a guy coming out is going to be good or not. That type of talk is so freakin' annoying.

Commissioner
02-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Too many red flags with him... I'll pass.

Nighthawk
02-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Too many red flags with him... I'll pass.

This does seem to be true...a little worrisome.

mikemac2001
02-24-2011, 12:48 PM
come on 6th round

why waste our time with that statement.

Bangarang
02-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Too much risk for me. His showboating personality is scaring me off big time. Maybe it's not a fair comparison, but I fear that raining money in a strip club might be in his future.

There's a risk with any QB taken in the 1st round. GM's take this risk because the reward can change an entire franchise around.

OpIv37
02-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Would totally love to have seen your opinion on whether there was Franchise QB available the year Rodgers was drafted.

All I'm saying, is let's not pretend that we have a crystal ball and know if a guy coming out is going to be good or not. That type of talk is so freakin' annoying.

nobody knows if anyone coming out of the draft at any position will be good. That being said:

1) We are under a lot of pressure to get the #3 pick right. Years of blowing high draft picks have created a mess and we need to start digging ourselves out NOW.
2) QB is the least predictable position.
3) None of the QB's in this draft are the prototypical QB that is most likely to have NFL success.

So, given the situation we are in and the situation with the QB's in this draft, I think taking one at #3 is a risk we simply can't afford to take.

trapezeus
02-24-2011, 01:06 PM
i think the bills still have so many holes that if we fill defensive needs first, we still probably are picking high next year to find a mroe of a sure thing QB.

Thief
02-24-2011, 03:24 PM

My personal preference - No thanks on Newton. Not at #3, not in the 6th round.Not in the 6th? Are you one of the ones that thought Peyton Manning would flop?

Thief
02-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Too much risk for me. His showboating personality is scaring me off big time. Maybe it's not a fair comparison, but I fear that raining money in a strip club might be in his future.Dude, you read 3 out-of-context quotes, now you think you know the guy?

Personally I am on the fence about him @ 3, but I know I am not going to pretend I can read his mind or predict the future.

Mr. Miyagi
02-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Not in the 6th? Are you one of the ones that thought Peyton Manning would flop?
Knowing what you know now, would you trade away a 6th rounder for Vince Young?

Not saying Newton is the same as Young, but my fear is Newton has the same potential to be that big of a flop.

baalworship
02-24-2011, 04:02 PM
What amateur fans wanted last year has no bearing on how Newton will turn out. Gil Brandt and Eric Decosta of the Ravens are very high on Newton. To me he has "it."

Bill Cody
02-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Dude, you read 3 out-of-context quotes, now you think you know the guy?

Personally I am on the fence about him @ 3, but I know I am not going to pretend I can read his mind or predict the future.

You are so right. Perceptions can change. That's why I've been on the fence so long I've got splinters in my ass. If Newton gets strong reviews on his interviews and throws a 20+ on the wonderlic I'll be on board. If on the other hand he tests like a dunce and interviews like a punk I'll have 2 fingers in my mouth whistling "taxi". We'll see.

Bill Cody
02-24-2011, 04:10 PM

Not saying Newton is the same as Young, but my fear is Newton has the same potential to be that big of a flop.

Good point. We wouldn't want to draft a bust. Hate to do that. BTW, knowing what you know now would you trade away a 6th for Maybin? Mccargo? Losman? Just asking. Tell me about this stone cold lock we'd be passing up at 3 if we draft Newton. And would this lock be a potential franchise changer? Or just a piece in a puzzle that has a dozen pieces missing? Try to be honest here.

I'm not saying draft Newton. Not yet. But we'd be foolish not to kick all 4 tires.

PTI
02-24-2011, 04:38 PM
I would take him at #3 without a doubt. He has the highest upside of any player in a long time. If the Bills think Gabbert can be a quanlity NFL player then I am happy with him too, I just want the Bills to take the best QB available and I think they will get that chance. Fitz is presently the worst starting QB in the NFL.

roby
02-24-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm not saying draft Newton. Not yet. But we'd be foolish not to kick all 4 tires.

I agree with this. We'd be fools to not fully evaluate him just because of we are afraid of worst case scenarios. It doesn't have to be doom and gloom all the time around here...its okay to be optimistic every now and then.

Extremebillsfan247
02-24-2011, 07:27 PM

My personal preference - No thanks on Newton. Not at #3, not in the 6th round. If we took Newton at 3 I'd be ok with it because I trust Chan Gailey. Last year I wanted Rolando McClain. He went one pick before us to the Raiders.

malvado78
02-25-2011, 09:43 AM

YES!

Will do it now...

He can sit behind Fitz till he proves he is totally worthless again...

Who do you think this team is going to pick up in the 6th that will help more than Young sitting on a bench until he decides to grow up?

OpIv37
02-25-2011, 10:33 AM
I would take him at #3 without a doubt. He has the highest upside of any player in a long time. If the Bills think Gabbert can be a quanlity NFL player then I am happy with him too, I just want the Bills to take the best QB available and I think they will get that chance. Fitz is presently the worst starting QB in the NFL.

People said similar things about Maybin. And Losman.

Let's draft talent, not potential. Potential is just a fancy way of saying "hasn't proven **** yet"

X-Era
02-25-2011, 10:46 AM

Let's draft talent, not potential. Potential is just a fancy way of saying "hasn't proven **** yet"Until any of them, proves it on an NFL field, it's all based on potential. No one has proven anything yet in the NFL.

Bill Cody
02-25-2011, 10:48 AM

I sure didn't. I hated both picks at the time they were made. But I do not reject Newton based on his inexperience. He's got the tangibles that you look for in a QB. I'm waiting on the intangibles. Maybin just didn't have the frame you look for in a pass rusher. And Losman lacked smarts and he was arrogant. My jury is still out on Newton. But I don't lump him in with those 2 you mentioned, not yet anyway.

PTI
02-25-2011, 12:51 PM

Let's draft talent, not potential. Potential is just a fancy way of saying "hasn't proven **** yet"

No, no one said this about those 2 guys in any way close to what many are saying about Newton, and neither accomplished anything close to what Newton did this past season, your post is total BS.

OpIv37
02-25-2011, 02:04 PM
No, no one said this about those 2 guys in any way close to what many are saying about Newton, and neither accomplished anything close to what Newton did this past season, your post is total BS.

Um, yes they did.

The excuse for drafting Maybin over Orakpo was that Maybin has more "upside."
The reason Donahoe traded up for Losman was because he had more "potential" than any other QB in the draft. You can go back and look it up if you don't believe me.

We can draft a project on QB that may never develop, or we can draft a defender who can come in and play at a high level right away.

Oh, and Cam had one good season at DI-A. Just like...um... AARON MAYBIN.

X-Era
02-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Um, yes they did.

The reason Donahoe traded up for Losman was because he had more "potential" than any other QB in the draft. You can go back and look it up if you don't believe me.

We can draft a project on QB that may never develop, or we can draft a defender who can come in and play at a high level right away.

Oh, and Cam had one good season at DI-A. Just like...um... AARON MAYBIN.You're claiming you know which players will contribute right away?

How good season did Fairley or even Bowers have?

OpIv37
02-25-2011, 02:16 PM
You're claiming you know which players will contribute right away?

How good season did Fairley or even Bowers have?

Nothing is a definite.

I'm claiming that some players are a lot less of a gamble than others, and I'm claiming that certain posters on this board are so blinded by our need for a QB that they can't see the risk involved with certain draft picks.

jamze132
02-25-2011, 02:17 PM
I would take Cam Newton at 3 because he can run a spread and Gailey would be able to get the most out of him.

X-Era
02-25-2011, 02:22 PM
I would take Cam Newton at 3 because he can run a spread and Gailey would be able to get the most out of him.This is a very underrated aspect of the QB situation IMO. Gabbert and Newton may transition quickly into our passing O that uses so many wide sets.

Mr. Pink
02-25-2011, 02:41 PM
If you don't mind a guy who will likely perform at the same level as Daunte Culpepper than taking him at 3rd overall isn't a bad choice. It might take him a little longer to get to that level.

We're talking Daunte on the Vikes here not after his injuries, btw.

PTI
02-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Um, yes they did.

Oh, and Cam had one good season at DI-A. Just like...um... AARON MAYBIN.
Play at a high level right away...........right, like we can't afford to take a QB and ease him along. Like any player drafted by the Nix/Gailey team really played their guys they drafted high last season. Your point is useless and way off. Did you see how much the Bills played their rookies last season? Most barely saw the field.

PTI
02-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Ooops, double post. GO SABRES! GO BILLS@!

OpIv37
02-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Play at a high level right away...........right, like we can't afford to take a QB and ease him along. Like any player drafted by the Nix/Gailey team really played their guys they drafted high last season. Your point is useless and way off. Did you see how much the Bills played their rookies last season? Most barely saw the field.

We can't afford to take a QB and ease him along, unless you like giving up 200 yards rushing a game. And we definitely can't afford to take a headcase QB who never amounts to anything. We're better off going D now and waiting until more of a sure thing comes along at QB. While we do need an upgrade at QB, Fitz is serviceable. We have a LOT of other positions where we don't even have a serviceable player.

Most of our rookies barely saw the field cuz, as usual, we picked the wrong ****ing rookies.

justasportsfan
02-25-2011, 03:37 PM
I would take Cam Newton at 3 because he can run a spread and Gailey would be able to get the most out of him.

you can say the same thing about Kaepernick

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 03:45 PM
you can say the same thing about Kaepernick

No, you can't. Kaepernick played against inferior talent and that has to be considered.

better days
02-25-2011, 03:59 PM
If you don't mind a guy who will likely perform at the same level as Daunte Culpepper than taking him at 3rd overall isn't a bad choice. It might take him a little longer to get to that level.

We're talking Daunte on the Vikes here not after his injuries, btw.

Your talking Daunte with Moss. A WR that made him look better than he was. JP Losman would have looked good on that team throwing to Moss.

roby
02-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Your talking Daunte with Moss. A WR that made him look better than he was. JP Losman would have looked good on that team throwing to Moss.

Moss definitely helped Daunte. He was overrated for sure. But why not a comparison to Steve Young?

Extremebillsfan247
02-25-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm going to go and retract my statement made earlier in this thread and reserve whether I would take Newton or not until after the combine. Something Newton has done today already has me second guessing that decision. JMO

Bangarang
02-25-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm going to go and retract my statement made earlier in this thread and reserve whether I would take Newton or not until after the combine. Something Newton has done today already has me second guessing that decision. JMO

What did he do?

justasportsfan
02-25-2011, 06:20 PM
No, you can't. Kaepernick played against inferior talent and that has to be considered.
newton has as much question marks as Kepernick especially at 3. Anyone here think Newton is a sure franchise qb? No! He's a boom or bust and if gailey can get the most out of Thigpen, he can also get the most out of anyone.

IMO the bills should stop risking their top picks on boom or bust players and go for THE SURE THING for a change.

Bangarang
02-25-2011, 06:23 PM
newton has as much question marks as Kepernick especially at 3. Anyone here think Newton is a sure franchise qb? No! He's a boom or bust and if gailey can get the most out of Thigpen, he can also get the most out of anyone.

IMO the bills should stop risking their top picks on boom or bust players and go for THE SURE THING for a change.

IMO the top of this draft doesn't have a sure thing.

justasportsfan
02-25-2011, 06:25 PM
IMO the top of this draft doesn't have a sure thing.
guys like Dareus are less of a risk than Cam at 3

Bangarang
02-25-2011, 06:32 PM
guys like Dareus are less of a risk than Cam at 3

I know that. My point is that there is no elite sure thing talent at the top of the draft this year.

Extremebillsfan247
02-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Newton is a really great talent, but his character is really beginning to surface as it seems and its making him a very polarizing figure. That's not a good thing.

Mr. Pink
02-25-2011, 10:53 PM

Daunte had some skill too back then before his injury. If it was all on Moss then Andrew Walter and Aaron Brooks would have looked good at QB in Oakland.

As an FYI statistically Culpeppers' best season, in 04, was Randys' worst season as a Viking. A year where Nate Burleson lead the Vikes in receiving.

roby
02-25-2011, 11:56 PM
Daunte had some skill too back then before his injury. If it was all on Moss then Andrew Walter and Aaron Brooks would have looked good at QB in Oakland.

As an FYI statistically Culpeppers' best season, in 04, was Randys' worst season as a Viking. A year where Nate Burleson lead the Vikes in receiving.

Wow. Did not know that. Learn something new every day. Good info man!

Night Train
02-26-2011, 06:11 AM
Regardless, I hope he has a sensational Combine and everyone keeps talking him up. Then it would trigger moves that could help the Bills on Draft weekend.

better days
02-26-2011, 07:35 AM

Yeah, Daunte could throw the long ball back then pretty well. That was his only skill. Losman could do the same.

Walter & Brooks are not as effective as Daunte or even JP throwing the long ball. Aside from that Moss was not the receiver in Oakland that he was on the Vikings because he lost focus while on that team.