PDA

View Full Version : Nix answers questions at the Combine

X-Era
02-24-2011, 03:21 PM
http://wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=38941

Nix quickly pointed out his distinction of what a franchise quarterback entails. "A guy that can win for you for years," said Nix. "You get a lot of guys that will play good for you a year or two but somebody that can be a ten year guy where you don't have to worry about that position anymore."

I asked him point blank if he believes there is a franchise quarterback in this draft class.

"I understand there probably is, but it's hard to figure out which one. That's the problem."

"Nick Fairley, and Cam [Newton], we'll know as much about them as there is to know. "

He said he doesn't view defensive tackle as a need, and that the need for a pass rusher

Commissioner
02-24-2011, 03:27 PM
We know it's hard .... but that's why you get paid the big bucks as a GM.... duh.

Thief
02-24-2011, 03:29 PM
I asked him point blank if he believes there is a franchise quarterback in this draft class.

"I understand there probably is, but it's hard to figure out which one. That's the problem."

"Nick Fairley, and Cam [Newton], we'll know as much about them as there is to know. "
I hope that second quote came from a different question or else he has a lot to learn about Fairley. lol

Prov401
02-24-2011, 03:29 PM
http://wgr550.com/pages/9034669.php?pid=38941

Nix quickly pointed out his distinction of what a franchise quarterback entails. "A guy that can win for you for years," said Nix. "You get a lot of guys that will play good for you a year or two but somebody that can be a ten year guy where you don't have to worry about that position anymore."

Where is that said?

X-Era
02-24-2011, 03:40 PM
Where is that said?The full article was just finished, click on it again.

psubills62
02-24-2011, 03:47 PM
If we're going to analyze every single quote about quarterbacks...it's going to be a long spring until draft day. Not directing that at you, X, just in general.

I think there are a few things we know for sure: 1) they're going to look at quarterbacks at #3 overall, and everywhere else in the draft.

Beyond that...there are many things that point to either taking one or not. Nothing's set in stone, and I have a feeling that this one will be a mystery right up until the guy runs up to the table with a little piece of paper.

X-Era
02-24-2011, 03:50 PM
If we're going to analyze every single quote about quarterbacks...it's going to be a long spring until draft day. Not directing that at you, X, just in general.

I think there are a few things we know for sure: 1) they're going to look at quarterbacks at #3 overall, and everywhere else in the draft.

Beyond that...there are many things that point to either taking one or not. Nothing's set in stone, and I have a feeling that this one will be a mystery right up until the guy runs up to the table with a little piece of paper.I think it's going to be a long spring no matter what because of how high our pick is.

But I just put the comments out there. I didn't analyze them.

Prov401
02-24-2011, 04:10 PM
I could be wrong, but judging by the statements today by Chan and Nix, I'm starting to get the sense that Peterson isn't going to be the pick. All the talk is pass rushers, linebackers, and QB's.

Beebe's Kid
02-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Screw what he said...did you see him rocking the leather sport coat with the pink shirt?

I wish he would have left the aviators on, but he probably left them out in the '74 Lincoln with the bull horns on the front, like Boss Hog.

He looks like a coke dealer, which is just ****ing awesome. While it isn't always my style per se, I love seeing him interviewed.

I am proud to call him "our guy."

It also seems like media members show him a lot of respect, which is odd since he is so dumb, and always in bed, and was just another retread that Ralph hired because he's cheap.

In Buddy I trust. I wouldn't take Newton, but if Buddy says that he's the guy, then he's the guy. Just to be a consistent pain in the ass, if he says Gabbert is the guy (once the tape is finally in) the I take it all back.

Any Sunny fans out there...I see him and Chan rolling in like a couple of "Big oil men, in from Dallas."

Bill Cody
02-24-2011, 04:18 PM
I could be wrong, but judging by the statements today by Chan and Nix, I'm starting to get the sense that Peterson isn't going to be the pick. All the talk is pass rushers, linebackers, and QB's.

Someone could fall in love with Peterson though and allow us to move down a bit.

Beebe's Kid
02-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Probably right. It's not like every question they get is about QB's and pass rush/run D.

They probably are really nice guys, and will be straight forward about who they are going to take, so all of the teams after them have a better chance to prepare.

People that think there is any strategy to not tipping your hand are crazy. First day of the combine is the place to tell everybody what you are going to do. Besides, they owe it us.

X-Era
02-24-2011, 04:24 PM
PSU, now I will analyze :biggrin:

"Nick Fairley, and Cam [Newton], we'll know as much about them as there is to know."

I think him saying he knows a lot about Newton already speaks volumes. If he knows his character or even has a good feel and still doesn't dispell the notion of Cam even at 3, then I think he may just feel pretty comfortable with it. But obviously thats just speculation.

I also thought this was an interesting comment came from his BB.com 1 on 1:

"I think you could take something else early maybe and still get a good defensive player in the second round".

I think DL is very deep and I like that he looks at it that way. To me, that's taking advantage of the draft.

X-Era
02-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Someone could fall in love with Peterson though and allow us to move down a bit.On that thought. Nix said this:

"If there's a guy that you are dead set on getting, you better take him and not move down thinking you can get him at number seven," the GM said. "Because you might not, and then you don't have the player. If that's the case with us, if there's a guy there that we think we're dead set on, we're going to take him."

YardRat
02-24-2011, 04:34 PM

Beyond that...there are many things that point to either taking one or not. Nothing's set in stone, and I have a feeling that this one will be a mystery right up until the guy runs up to the table with a little piece of paper.

I'll solve part of the mystery for you right now...We're not taking a QB at #3 in Round #1.

stuckincincy
02-24-2011, 04:35 PM
On that thought. Nix said this:

"If there's a guy that you are dead set on getting, you better take him and not move down thinking you can get him at number seven," the GM said. "Because you might not, and then you don't have the player. If that's the case with us, if there's a guy there that we think we're dead set on, we're going to take him."

Nix should have said:

"After 4 years that franchise qb will bolt if he pans out. He and his agent will surely squak loud for more $ in year 2 or 3 of the contract".

:pimped:

X-Era
02-24-2011, 04:41 PM
I'll solve part of the mystery for you right now...We're not taking a QB at #3 in Round #1.Love the emphatic opinion man. I'm not forgetting about the bet and when we get closer, I'll be keeping it in mind.

psubills62
02-24-2011, 04:46 PM
I'll solve part of the mystery for you right now...We're not taking a QB at #3 in Round #1.

Haha, I'm doubtful of it myself, though not quite as sure as you.

Prov401
02-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Probably right. It's not like every question they get is about QB's and pass rush/run D.

They probably are really nice guys, and will be straight forward about who they are going to take, so all of the teams after them have a better chance to prepare.

People that think there is any strategy to not tipping your hand are crazy. First day of the combine is the place to tell everybody what you are going to do. Besides, they owe it us.

Oh wow, your so slick. Adorable post.

When has Nix b.s'd us?

Last year at this exact same time, all everyone did is bash the people who made predictions based on Nix' comments. And people like you come on and make the same tired comments like 'tipping their hand', 'smokescreen', etc. Last year Nix repeatedly said he was taking BPA, and he did just that. This year, he has made numerous comments on us being dead last in run defense.

Keep thinking Nix plays games. He's a straight-shooter. Him and Chan tell it like it is. They have since they've been here. Sure there's a strategy, and there are plenty of people that are up for grabs in the front 7, (Fairley, Dareus, Quinn, Bowers, Miller, etc.), and the strategy is to not let anybody know which one we love. But I'm willing to bet one of these guys will be a Bill, especially when Newton goes number 1 to the Panthers.

Nighthawk
02-24-2011, 05:27 PM
You know what I like about his quotes? The fact that they pretty much stated Fitz is not a franchise QB, he's a guy who'll give you a good one or two years. I'm glad to see they don't feel the same as some on here about Fitz being the answer.

better days
02-24-2011, 05:47 PM
You know what I like about his quotes? The fact that they pretty much stated Fitz is not a franchise QB, he's a guy who'll give you a good one or two years. I'm glad to see they don't feel the same as some on here about Fitz being the answer.

Who thinks Fitz is the answer? I don't recall anyone saying that. Chan did say he has been to the playoffs with worse QB's though.

If Chan & Buddy think a QB is worth taking at #3 GREAT. If not, DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE.

Extremebillsfan247
02-24-2011, 08:00 PM
"Hows your mamma? how many sisters you got?" lol If Nix did a stand up comedy bit, I'd probably pay to see it.

Nighthawk
02-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Who thinks Fitz is the answer? I don't recall anyone saying that. Chan did say he has been to the playoffs with worse QB's though.

If Chan & Buddy think a QB is worth taking at #3 GREAT. If not, DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE.

Dude, there are some on here who honestly think that Fitz is the answer and is getting better. Seriously, it's comical.

I also agree that if there is a QB worth the #3 pick in Nix/Gailey's eyes, then take him. If not, take big men on defense or Von Miller.

TigerJ
02-24-2011, 09:31 PM
I've been thinking all along that the Bills weren't feeling a great need for defensive tackles even thouhg a lot of Bills mocks have them taking a DT somewhere in the middle rounds. It's nice to see the GM agreeing with me.

PromoTheRobot
02-24-2011, 09:34 PM
We know it's hard .... but that's why you get paid the big bucks as a GM.... duh.

Can't be that hard. After all half the people here know exactly what needs to be done. ;)

PTR

Ed
02-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Everyone only seems to want to talk about QB's and our front 7, but I would be interested to hear Buddy's thoughts on our O-line.

Bangarang
02-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Everyone only seems to want to talk about QB's and our front 7, but I would be interested to hear Buddy's thoughts on our O-line.

He said he likes the O-Line and thinks guys like Urbik and Pears will do well next season.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 07:42 AM
He said he likes the O-Line and thinks guys like Urbik and Pears will do well next season.

I'm intrigued by Urbikat guard, but believe we need to get another RT.