PDA

View Full Version : Trade rumors for Brad Richards

Ebenezer
02-25-2011, 06:47 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/rent_too_damn_high_nmuY6Hm9huOwvEZ4aZhD1N

Seems the Stars want Marc Staal, Brandon Dubinsky (leading scorer) and Derek Stepan for Brad Richards (third leading scorer).

Thoughts on what the Sabres would have to give up?

hydro
02-25-2011, 07:15 AM
WGR said Ennis, Myers and Stafford. Myers is the only one in that situation I definitely don't want to see go.

OpIv37
02-25-2011, 07:42 AM
WGR said Ennis, Myers and Stafford. Myers is the only one in that situation I definitely don't want to see go.

no ****ing way for that price. I might be able to see it if the Sabres could negotiate a long-term deal with him prior to the trade, but that's far too much to give up for a rent-a-player in a season where the Sabres aren't Cup contenders.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Nieuwendyk has already said that the article is false and that he never discussed particulars with the Rangers. Do we believe him or the paper? I don't know, but I would not give up those three for Richards and I'm a HUGE proponent of getting Richards. IMO, he definitely could be had for less...but it will cost you a player that you might not want to move. This is where Darcy is terrible and why we have the team we have.

SabreEleven
02-25-2011, 07:52 AM
But the Rangers, of all teams, will be willing to over pay for Richards, who will fail in NY of course after signing a 10 million a year contract, and that is why they have the team they have.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 07:59 AM
But the Rangers, of all teams, will be willing to over pay for Richards, who will fail in NY of course after signing a 10 million a year contract, and that is why they have the team they have.

Very true, but let's not forget, they're in position to make the playoffs. Do they overspend on the wrong players, yes. Do they try though, yes. I'm not sure Darcy has it in him to pull the trigger on a trade where he actually has to give up value to get something.

Jan Reimers
02-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Ridiculous. I wouldn't trade Myers for Richards even up.

THATHURMANATOR
02-25-2011, 08:15 AM
I would NOT do this trade for a 30 year old coming off a concussion.

SabreEleven
02-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Very true, but let's not forget, they're in position to make the playoffs. Do they overspend on the wrong players, yes. Do they try though, yes. I'm not sure Darcy has it in him to pull the trigger on a trade where he actually has to give up value to get something.

I'd rather Darcy not try in New York Rangers fashion. Darcy has been more successful by not making major league moves.

chernobylwraiths
02-25-2011, 08:28 AM
I'd rather Darcy not try in New York Rangers fashion. Darcy has been more successful by not making major league moves.

yeah, Morre, Bernier, and Torres really helped out

elltrain22
02-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Ridiculous. I wouldn't trade Myers for Richards even up.

I second that thought.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 09:45 AM

Wow, tell me you're not serious? The rose colored glasses must have been handed out at the Pegula news conference because everybody has completely forgotten how bad a GM Regier has been. It's actually pretty amusing how people have completely swung their opinions of Regier's work.

SabreEleven
02-25-2011, 10:21 AM
yeah, Morre, Bernier, and Torres really helped out

At least he didn't mortgage the future to make these deals. Now that Pegula is here, this organization can be righted in the right direction easier than if he took over the Rangers due to all the contracts they have to pay out.

SabreEleven
02-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Wow, tell me you're not serious? The rose colored glasses must have been handed out at the Pegula news conference because everybody has completely forgotten how bad a GM Regier has been. It's actually pretty amusing how people have completely swung their opinions of Regier's work.

Who do you blame for the loss of Tallinder and Lydman?

Who has more success in the last 10 years...the Rangers or the Sabres?

Ebenezer
02-25-2011, 10:27 AM
At least he didn't mortgage the future to make these deals. Now that Pegula is here, this organization can be righted in the right direction easier than if he took over the Rangers due to all the contracts they have to pay out.

There is a huge difference between paying cash for quality players - something the last owners did not want to do - and overpaying to get that talent in here. Signing Drury, Briere or Campbell or bringing in a UFA was a matter of money. As much as I am in favor of moving prospects and picks for the right players I don't blame any team for not trading away essential components to get one little piece. What is the use of trading for a Richards if you have to give up a Myers and/or Stafford? That's crazy. Since the previous owners wouldn't spend to keep or get the better players it HAD to keep ALL its best prospects. Moving an Ennis in a package of draft picks to get a great player makes sense. Trading multiple components? No.

Ebenezer
02-25-2011, 10:30 AM

TG and LQ. If they wanted those players they would have spent the money on them. They gave DR a directive. Didn't matter who the GM was that was the job. Bring the team in at the bottom line. They never fired him, did they?

DR simply put players on the ice for the money that he thought could keep the team competitive. DR could have just gotten rid of all the quality players and brought in junk, keep the salary at the minimum and made them lots of money. DR is the fall guy for TG and LQ. Not saying that he can actually make this team into a cup contender or winner but we don't even know what he can really do since he never had the resources.

SabreEleven
02-25-2011, 10:31 AM
There is a huge difference between paying cash for quality players - something the last owners did not want to do - and overpaying to get that talent in here. Signing Drury, Briere or Campbell or bringing in a UFA was a matter of money. As much as I am in favor of moving prospects and picks for the right players I don't blame any team for not trading away essential components to get one little piece. What is the use of trading for a Richards if you have to give up a Myers and/or Stafford? That's crazy. Since the previous owners wouldn't spend to keep or get the better players it HAD to keep ALL its best prospects. Moving an Ennis in a package of draft picks to get a great player makes sense. Trading multiple components? No.

Agreed. Ennis is expendable but is Richards the right person to spend him on? we'll really see if Regier knows how to do his job. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt under the old owner and giving him a little lee way under Pegula.

Ebenezer
02-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Agreed. Ennis is expendable but is Richards the right person to spend him on? we'll really see if Regier knows how to do his job. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt under the old owner and giving him a little lee way under Pegula.

If Richards is as concussed as some has rumored, and the fact that he is a UFA at the end of the year, he is worthless, imo.

trapezeus
02-25-2011, 10:50 AM
"at least the rangers try with big spending" isn't met with such zeal in NY.

And i'm pretty sure 5 years of pegula offering the world to players who don't pan out, won't make us any happier than we are now.

Brad Richards is simply not worth anything to the sabres without a commitment to stay in the form of a long term contract. Whether the reports are true or not, there is simply no way the sabres can part with 3 of their young talent who are part of the process of departing from the connolly, hecht, neids, grier, etc, mess we are in right now.

Sabres need to get younger and get better. If the sabres want a shot at richards, they have the luxury of waiting til the offseason. They aren't cup contenders now. and to be contenders, they'll need their youth, more youth, and a touch of veteran leadership. Right now we are too heavy on veterans, very short on leadership, and too light on playing youth.

chernobylwraiths
02-25-2011, 11:13 AM

In no way am I wanting him to send those guys to Dallas without assurances that Richards would sign a long term deal after the trade.

I would trade Stafford and Ennis for him.

chernobylwraiths
02-25-2011, 11:16 AM

I think the "loss" of Tallinder is way overstated. Myers is in a slump and has played well for much of the second half of this season IMO. While Lydman has had a good year this year, I was not sad to see him go either. Neither guy was very physical which I like in a defenseman and Tallinder was pretty Connolly like for much of his career.

chernobylwraiths
02-25-2011, 11:20 AM
TG and LQ. If they wanted those players they would have spent the money on them. They gave DR a directive. Didn't matter who the GM was that was the job. Bring the team in at the bottom line. They never fired him, did they?

DR simply put players on the ice for the money that he thought could keep the team competitive. DR could have just gotten rid of all the quality players and brought in junk, keep the salary at the minimum and made them lots of money. DR is the fall guy for TG and LQ. Not saying that he can actually make this team into a cup contender or winner but we don't even know what he can really do since he never had the resources.

:blah:

...all TG and LQ's fault!

When does Darcy take any responsibility?

SabreEleven
02-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Pegula flat and said it was their fault for the loss of them

Ebenezer
02-25-2011, 12:11 PM
I think the "loss" of Tallinder is way overstated. Myers is in a slump and has played well for much of the second half of this season IMO. While Lydman has had a good year this year, I was not sad to see him go either. Neither guy was very physical which I like in a defenseman and Tallinder was pretty Connolly like for much of his career.

Lydman was very physical. You don't think it takes a lot of "physicality" to fall in front of a shot. I believe he was 11th in 2008-9 the NHL in blocks. They lost almost 200 blocks a year between Lydman and Tallinder. Could there be a coincidence as to why Miller's GAA is up this year?

Ebenezer
02-25-2011, 12:12 PM

Responsibility for what? Following his the directives of his boss?? All employees who wish to stay employeed do that.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 12:33 PM

It's pointless Chern, they all have the rose-colored glasses on...it's pathetic.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 12:36 PM

So, if the Sabres miss the playoffs this year, that will make a whopping 3 out of 9 years that they have made the playoffs. Umm, how do you measure success...just askin'?

chernobylwraiths
02-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Pegula flat and said it was their fault for the loss of them

when?
where?

SabreEleven
02-25-2011, 01:22 PM
when?
where?

and you call yourself a Sabres fan. it's at the end of this interview

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/02/audio-terry-pegula-meets-the-news-editorial-board.html

chernobylwraiths
02-25-2011, 01:46 PM
and you call yourself a Sabres fan. it's at the end of this interview

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/02/audio-terry-pegula-meets-the-news-editorial-board.html

can't really listen to it right now