• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed
    Dude
    • Sep 2002

Bills not ready to junk Aaron Maybin

This isn't really that surprising considering he's still only 23 years old and they have already invested a lot of money in him. I know everyone is really dissapointed with Maybin, including me, but I think the chances of him getting cut before the season are still pretty low. I expect him to show up in great shape and ready to work hard and do whatever is asked of him, so I think he gets at least another year to show some progress.

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Buffalo Bills aren't giving up on Aaron Maybin.Maybin has struggled as an NFL pass-rusher. The 11th pick of the 2009 draft still hasn't registered a sack.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Bills not ready to junk Aaron Maybin

I think he makes the final roster this season also.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

Might depend on how much work Maybin puts in during the offseason and how set they are at OLB.
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

I think he still has a chance, but he needs to turn it up in camp.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Jaybird
          • Dec 2005

I hope he can prove us all wrong...

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
            • Nov 2009

He'll make the team, and he will show improvement. He will get considerably more playing time, and will get, I'll say 7 sacks this year.

The people that have spent the last 2 years screaming from the rooftops how bad he is, will never change their opinion, because it isn't about the Bills being good, or rooting for our guys, it's about being right.

Maybin is very young, and although it made absolutely no sense, he was a project pick. So I feel that's exactly how Chan treated him this year. I really think if Maybin would have played a lot this year, he would have shown improvement. I think he looked better in the little we saw him.

Chan's way of dealing with young players in intriguing to me. He sat him...healthy scratch, starting in his hometown. Chan made several remarks about how he needed to get better. I have a feeling that Chan knows Maybin is really talented, but he's cocky...he just had to break his ego down a little bit.

I think it's funny that so many people call for a 23 year old to be cut, but that's the way it is now, I guess. I am not for parting ways with him, yet. I applaud the way Chan brought him back to reality, and seems to have humbled him. Hopefully it works.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

Why would we cut him?

As long as the guy is willing to put in the time and effort to improve we should keep him.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                Why would we cut him?

As long as the guy is willing to put in the time and effort to improve we should keep him.
                Give me a contract. I'll put in time and improve. I may still suck but you can't say I didn't try.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                  Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                  • Jul 2002

You can't cut the guy after 2 years, however, if he shows nothing next year, then it probably is time to end the experiment.

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
                    Will not tolerate vandalism.
                    • Apr 2006

Yes, he looked good in training camp last year, too. But so did Trent Edwards.

Maybin's a bust. Let him go.

Comment

• bf1
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                      Why would we cut him?

I think him not even getting dressed last season is an indication of how bad he is.

If he played, and struggled, then I'd be patient with the guy. He wasn't even good enough to suit up!

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

Then according to some posters we shouldn't have cut James Hardy either.

Maybin's a bust, a rebuilding team is supposed to get rid of dead weight.

He should not be on the roster.

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Beebe's Kid
                          He'll make the team, and he will show improvement. He will get considerably more playing time, and will get, I'll say 7 sacks this year.

The people that have spent the last 2 years screaming from the rooftops how bad he is, will never change their opinion, because it isn't about the Bills being good, or rooting for our guys, it's about being right.

Maybin is very young, and although it made absolutely no sense, he was a project pick. So I feel that's exactly how Chan treated him this year. I really think if Maybin would have played a lot this year, he would have shown improvement. I think he looked better in the little we saw him.

Chan's way of dealing with young players in intriguing to me. He sat him...healthy scratch, starting in his hometown. Chan made several remarks about how he needed to get better. I have a feeling that Chan knows Maybin is really talented, but he's cocky...he just had to break his ego down a little bit.

I think it's funny that so many people call for a 23 year old to be cut, but that's the way it is now, I guess. I am not for parting ways with him, yet. I applaud the way Chan brought him back to reality, and seems to have humbled him. Hopefully it works.
                          lmao- the only reason anyone cares about a 23 year old being cut is because he's a 1st round draft pick. 23 year old UDFA's and 7th round draft picks get cut all the time and no one seems to think it's a bad idea. That's a red herring argument.

And cutting Maybin has nothing to do with being right. The guy has done nothing. To say he's been horrible would be giving him too much credit. He rarely makes it on the field and is practically invisible out there when he does. He's a ****ing joke.

The only real reason to keep him is because it's low risk for the Bills. His contract is incentive-laden. If he doesn't reach the incentives, he's cheap. If he does reach them, he'll be worth the money. The only real risk is that he's taking up a roster spot and some cap room, but it's unlikely that the Bills would be able to find a better way to use it.

Personally, I see almost zero chance of this guy ever contributing anything and I'd be happy to completely break ties with him. This team will never be good until we break as many ties with the past as possible: McCargo, Whitner, Poz, Maybin, etc. But I see the Bills giving him at least one more shot because of the reasons above.
                          Last edited by OpIv37; 02-25-2011, 10:18 AM.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

It's all about the money.

What's his salary for this year? And if we release him, do we gain or lose anything?

As it is, he's nowhere good enough to play. It's the matter of whether he's expensive to wait for or not.
                            Last edited by Mr. Miyagi; 02-25-2011, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• Spiderweb
                              ....formerly OhBF
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by YardRat
                              I think he makes the final roster this season also.
                              .........and that's very disturbing.
                              Spiderweb

Need a Hero? Try looking within your
                              own family. You might be surprised.

Comment

Working...
                              X