PDA

View Full Version : Bills not ready to junk Aaron Maybin

Ed
02-25-2011, 08:34 AM
This isn't really that surprising considering he's still only 23 years old and they have already invested a lot of money in him. I know everyone is really dissapointed with Maybin, including me, but I think the chances of him getting cut before the season are still pretty low. I expect him to show up in great shape and ready to work hard and do whatever is asked of him, so I think he gets at least another year to show some progress.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/26307/bills-not-ready-to-junk-aaron-maybin

YardRat
02-25-2011, 08:35 AM
I think he makes the final roster this season also.

psubills62
02-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Might depend on how much work Maybin puts in during the offseason and how set they are at OLB.

Jan Reimers
02-25-2011, 08:49 AM
I think he still has a chance, but he needs to turn it up in camp.

Jaybird
02-25-2011, 08:50 AM
I hope he can prove us all wrong...

Beebe's Kid
02-25-2011, 09:06 AM
He'll make the team, and he will show improvement. He will get considerably more playing time, and will get, I'll say 7 sacks this year.

The people that have spent the last 2 years screaming from the rooftops how bad he is, will never change their opinion, because it isn't about the Bills being good, or rooting for our guys, it's about being right.

Maybin is very young, and although it made absolutely no sense, he was a project pick. So I feel that's exactly how Chan treated him this year. I really think if Maybin would have played a lot this year, he would have shown improvement. I think he looked better in the little we saw him.

Chan's way of dealing with young players in intriguing to me. He sat him...healthy scratch, starting in his hometown. Chan made several remarks about how he needed to get better. I have a feeling that Chan knows Maybin is really talented, but he's cocky...he just had to break his ego down a little bit.

I think it's funny that so many people call for a 23 year old to be cut, but that's the way it is now, I guess. I am not for parting ways with him, yet. I applaud the way Chan brought him back to reality, and seems to have humbled him. Hopefully it works.

THATHURMANATOR
02-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Why would we cut him?

As long as the guy is willing to put in the time and effort to improve we should keep him.

TacklingDummy
02-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Why would we cut him?

As long as the guy is willing to put in the time and effort to improve we should keep him.
Give me a contract. I'll put in time and improve. I may still suck but you can't say I didn't try.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 09:55 AM
You can't cut the guy after 2 years, however, if he shows nothing next year, then it probably is time to end the experiment.

Johnny Bugmenot
02-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Yes, he looked good in training camp last year, too. But so did Trent Edwards.

Maybin's a bust. Let him go.

bf1
02-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Why would we cut him?

I think him not even getting dressed last season is an indication of how bad he is.

If he played, and struggled, then I'd be patient with the guy. He wasn't even good enough to suit up!

Mr. Pink
02-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Then according to some posters we shouldn't have cut James Hardy either.

Maybin's a bust, a rebuilding team is supposed to get rid of dead weight.

He should not be on the roster.

OpIv37
02-25-2011, 10:17 AM
He'll make the team, and he will show improvement. He will get considerably more playing time, and will get, I'll say 7 sacks this year.

The people that have spent the last 2 years screaming from the rooftops how bad he is, will never change their opinion, because it isn't about the Bills being good, or rooting for our guys, it's about being right.

Maybin is very young, and although it made absolutely no sense, he was a project pick. So I feel that's exactly how Chan treated him this year. I really think if Maybin would have played a lot this year, he would have shown improvement. I think he looked better in the little we saw him.

Chan's way of dealing with young players in intriguing to me. He sat him...healthy scratch, starting in his hometown. Chan made several remarks about how he needed to get better. I have a feeling that Chan knows Maybin is really talented, but he's cocky...he just had to break his ego down a little bit.

I think it's funny that so many people call for a 23 year old to be cut, but that's the way it is now, I guess. I am not for parting ways with him, yet. I applaud the way Chan brought him back to reality, and seems to have humbled him. Hopefully it works.

lmao- the only reason anyone cares about a 23 year old being cut is because he's a 1st round draft pick. 23 year old UDFA's and 7th round draft picks get cut all the time and no one seems to think it's a bad idea. That's a red herring argument.

And cutting Maybin has nothing to do with being right. The guy has done nothing. To say he's been horrible would be giving him too much credit. He rarely makes it on the field and is practically invisible out there when he does. He's a ****ing joke.

The only real reason to keep him is because it's low risk for the Bills. His contract is incentive-laden. If he doesn't reach the incentives, he's cheap. If he does reach them, he'll be worth the money. The only real risk is that he's taking up a roster spot and some cap room, but it's unlikely that the Bills would be able to find a better way to use it.

Personally, I see almost zero chance of this guy ever contributing anything and I'd be happy to completely break ties with him. This team will never be good until we break as many ties with the past as possible: McCargo, Whitner, Poz, Maybin, etc. But I see the Bills giving him at least one more shot because of the reasons above.

Mr. Miyagi
02-25-2011, 10:17 AM
It's all about the money.

What's his salary for this year? And if we release him, do we gain or lose anything?

As it is, he's nowhere good enough to play. It's the matter of whether he's expensive to wait for or not.

Spiderweb
02-25-2011, 10:55 AM
I think he makes the final roster this season also.

.........and that's very disturbing.

bf1
02-25-2011, 11:14 AM
So much for changing the losing culture.

FlyingDutchman
02-25-2011, 11:15 AM
if he doesnt make the team he goes down as the biggest bust in buffalo history...

OpIv37
02-25-2011, 11:26 AM
if he doesnt make the team he goes down as the biggest bust in buffalo history...

and you know Erik Flowers and Mike Williams have a bottle of champagne on ice for just such an occasion. John McCargo may even want in on some of that.

Mr. Pink
02-25-2011, 11:29 AM
and you know Erik Flowers and Mike Williams have a bottle of champagne on ice for just such an occasion. John McCargo may even want in on some of that.

Aaron already makes Erik Flowers look like a superstar!

trapezeus
02-25-2011, 11:32 AM
i can't believe we can speculate on whether maybin is around or not until after the draft. if the bills go heavy on DL's and LB's in the draft, and then supplement the picks with some hard working scrubby LBs, maybin has to wow people to stay relevant.

a lot of things could happen. maybin needs to focus on maybin, and the bills need to find a way to get a lot better than what maybin has to offer.

Mr. Pink
02-25-2011, 11:34 AM
i can't believe we can speculate on whether maybin is around or not until after the draft. if the bills go heavy on DL's and LB's in the draft, and then supplement the picks with some hard working scrubby LBs, maybin has to wow people to stay relevant.

a lot of things could happen. maybin needs to focus on maybin, and the bills need to find a way to get a lot better than what maybin has to offer.

Anyone who can actually dress on Sundays is contributing more than what Maybin has to offer.

Jon Corto, for example, offers more than what Maybin does.

Sad but true.

stuckincincy
02-25-2011, 11:55 AM
Anyone who can actually dress on Sundays is contributing more than what Maybin has to offer.

Jon Corto, for example, offers more than what Maybin does.

Sad but true.

Here's Aaron's eye-popping career stats:

http://www.nfl.com/players/aaronmaybin/profile?id=MAY287870

EDS
02-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Considering that the Bills currently have the worst group of outside linebackers in the NFL, if he can't make it in buffalo his chances of extending his career are slim.

TacklingDummy
02-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Aaron already makes Erik Flowers look like a superstar!
That's not even mentioning the fact Maybin was drafted 11th and Flowers was drafted 26th.

Then look who was drafted after each.

Now you see why Maybin is the worst pick in my history (since 1980) of being a Bills fan.

Mad Max
02-25-2011, 12:35 PM

Mike Williams will need to keep a spare bottle of bubbly on hand for the rest of his life. There will never be a bigger Bills bust (literally AND figuratively).

OpIv37
02-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Mike Williams will need to keep a spare bottle of bubbly on hand for the rest of his life. There will never be a bigger Bills bust (literally AND figuratively).

I don't know. If Maybin gets cut before the season, I'd call him a bigger bust than Williams. At least Williams made it more than 2 years and started some games. Maybin has never started and often doesn't even dress.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Then according to some posters we shouldn't have cut James Hardy either.

Maybin's a bust, a rebuilding team is supposed to get rid of dead weight.

He should not be on the roster.

I agree, but he's gone if they don't see any improvement...I've got to believe that.

stuckincincy
02-25-2011, 01:18 PM
I don't know. If Maybin gets cut before the season, I'd call him a bigger bust than Williams. At least Williams made it more than 2 years and started some games. Maybin has never started and often doesn't even dress.

He did have one start - IIRC, it was because of LB injuries making it a necessity.

Funny - I'd track the games on nfl or CBS .com - uncanny - reliably one tackle credited per most games. Now, I don't know how BUF attributes tackles .AFAIK, it's up to the team (SF is notorious for stacking the deck - see their lb Willis' numbers).

He's been very disappointing, especially so considering he's a "tweener." At that spot, one would expect this or that spectacular play occasionally.

I still shake my head at the Williams choice. He was certainly a good collegiate player, and as you mention, he did provide some decent play for BUF.

But I remember looking at his lower legs, his ankles that were little bigger than mine (I was about 210 lb. at the time) and thinking...how long can this man play?

Philagape
02-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Let him fight for his job in camp, like any other backup. If he makes it, let him earn it.
If not, then dump him. Another step in the exorcism of the Ghost of Dick.

PromoTheRobot
02-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Maybin at least gets through training camp, but I don't see him sticking unless he improves significantly.

PTR

Extremebillsfan247
02-25-2011, 04:40 PM
This isn't really that surprising considering he's still only 23 years old and they have already invested a lot of money in him. I know everyone is really dissapointed with Maybin, including me, but I think the chances of him getting cut before the season are still pretty low. I expect him to show up in great shape and ready to work hard and do whatever is asked of him, so I think he gets at least another year to show some progress.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/26307/bills-not-ready-to-junk-aaron-maybin Yeah, I think your right. But, Maybin to me is an example of how dangerous it can be to draft an underclassman so high in the first round. There are a lot of senior prospects coming out in this years draft who are just as old as he is right now. Maybin had an awful lot on his plate early in his young career. I think maturity had a major role in his failing to live up to the expectations often granted to a first round pick. He will get better, how much better is unknown though. Coming out early may have ruined his career as a player. JMO

Night Train
02-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Start teaching him how to play TE.

Mski
02-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Start teaching him how to play TE. i'd rather see him learn SS

split71
02-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Start teaching him how to play TE.

Agreed, if he can catch the ball....otherwise, he's done in buffalo.

HHURRICANE
02-26-2011, 08:33 AM
He will get cut guaranteed. Just like Brohm was never going to be the starter.

SABURZFAN
02-26-2011, 09:32 AM
they need to create a job for this guy to earn his money. do they have somebody to carry a clipboard for the DEs and LBs?

Novacane
02-26-2011, 06:40 PM

Holy cow! You are one optimistic guy! I'd settle for 7 pressures

Seriously? People have screamed from the rooftops because he has not even shown a little flash of why he was drafted so high. If by some miracle he does a 180 and becomes a player people will change their opinions of him. His reputation as a bust is well earned. I'd love him to prove me wrong.