PDA

View Full Version : Gil Brandt Release Top 100 Prospects

DraftBoy
02-25-2011, 09:25 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e75a7b/article/on-ability-alone-these-are-top-prospects-of-2011-nfl-draft?module=HP_cp2

What if teams drafted solely on best player available and didn't consider their specific needs? What if teams didn't consider a player's injury history, off-field issues, psychological exams, intelligence tests, or workout results at the NFL Scouting Combine and pro days?

It's what I did in compiling my "Hot 100" list of prospects, all of whom will be represented at the combine this week in Indianapolis. I took out all the non-football things that go into a complete analysis of a player and listed them strictly on talent and ability. It's not a mock draft, but this should give you an idea of how they are rated by most NFL teams as players.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Hmmm, so he has Gabbert & Newton in Tier 1, does that mean that Gil doesn't know what he's talking about either? Just checking with all the Billszone experts...

DraftBoy
02-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Hmmm, so he has Gabbert & Newton in Tier 1, does that mean that Gil doesn't know what he's talking about either? Just checking with all the Billszone experts...

Has anybody really argued they aren't worth 1st round picks?

Jan Reimers
02-25-2011, 09:55 AM
There are a bunch of really good DEs. Let's hope we get at least one.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Has anybody really argued they aren't worth 1st round picks?

That's not what he says...he has them (in reality) in his top ten. Much different then being a first rounder...we both know that.

DraftBoy
02-25-2011, 09:57 AM
That's not what he says...he has them (in reality) in his top ten. Much different then being a first rounder...we both know that.

No he has them as tier 1, he's not mocking them as top 10 picks. You're making an assumption about him saying something he's not.

I dont think many are arguing that those two aren't top level prospects.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 10:00 AM
No he has them as tier 1, he's not mocking them as top 10 picks. You're making an assumption about him saying something he's not.

I dont think many are arguing that those two aren't top level prospects.

I knew you were going to say that, but just because he's not "mocking" them, he is indicating where (tier) they should be valued and he is putting a top ten value on them...thus, the Tier 1 label. Every player in that Tier 1 is a universal choice to go top ten, so you're telling me that it's a coincidence? Really???

DraftBoy
02-25-2011, 10:02 AM
I knew you were going to say that, but just because he's not "mocking" them, he is indicating where (tier) they should be valued and he is putting a top ten value on them...thus, the Tier 1 label. Every player in that Tier 1 is a universal choice to go top ten, so you're telling me that it's a coincidence? Really???

No every player in the tier 1 is not a universal choice in top 10. Marcel Dareus is in Brandt's top 10, but for Russ Lande (The Sporting News) he has him down as a borderline first round pick.

Some have Patrick Peterson #1 overall on their big board, but mock him to fall all the way down 5 or below.

Big Board values and where you see a guy going are entirely different.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 10:05 AM
No every player in the tier 1 is not a universal choice in top 10. Marcel Dareus is in Brandt's top 10, but for Russ Lande (The Sporting News) he has him down as a borderline first round pick.

Some have Patrick Peterson #1 overall on their big board, but mock him to fall all the way down 5 or below.

Big Board values and where you see a guy going are entirely different.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. :sukrpnch:

DraftBoy
02-25-2011, 10:07 AM
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. :sukrpnch:

I knew you were going to say that.

alohabillsfan
02-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Russ Lande is an idiot

DraftBoy
02-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Russ Lande is an idiot

Eh, he's not an idiot.

He just does things differently than a lot of other scouts. He relies almost exclusively on tape and what he sees with his own eyes. He nails his fair share that others miss on.

Nighthawk
02-25-2011, 10:14 AM
I knew you were going to say that.

Hey, what can I say...we can keep arguing, but what's the point? I don't see it like you do.

alohabillsfan
02-25-2011, 10:15 AM
ROFL, what do other scouts use? Message boards?

X-Era
02-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Has anybody really argued they aren't worth 1st round picks?Actually Db, I think a few have.

k-oneputt
02-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Maybe thats why Russ Lande is working for the Sporting News and not in the NFL

X-Era
02-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Maybe thats why Russ Lande is working for the Sporting News and not in the NFLOut of curiosity, who's opinion do you value?

Yasgur's Farm
02-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Hey, what can I say...we can keep arguing, but what's the point? I don't see it like you do.I see it exactly the way you do... He has them in the top tier of a 10 tier ranking. Being that there are 100 players total, the top tier would, and does comprise the top 10 as rated by him... Thus "top 10".

stuckincincy
02-25-2011, 11:51 AM
ROFL, what do other scouts use? Message boards?

The older ones use a Ouija board.

Mr. Pink
02-25-2011, 12:04 PM
The older ones use a Ouija board.

Not tea leafs?

stuckincincy
02-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Not tea leafs?

Yes, but only in rounds 4 through 7. :sailor:

YardRat
02-25-2011, 01:12 PM
What if teams drafted solely on best player available and didn't consider their specific needs? What if teams didn't consider a player's injury history, off-field issues, psychological exams, intelligence tests, or workout results at the NFL Scouting Combine and pro days?

It's what I did in compiling my "Hot 100" list of prospects, all of whom will be represented at the combine this week in Indianapolis. I took out all the non-football things that go into a complete analysis of a player and listed them strictly on talent and ability. It's not a mock draft, but this should give you an idea of how they are rated by most NFL teams as players.

Bingo.

YardRat
02-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Damn, if we could snag Dareus (Tier 1) in the first, and Wilson (Tier 4) in the second that would be sweet.

k-oneputt
02-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Out of curiosity, who's opinion do you value?

Mayock, Parcells, Thompson, Belichek, Saban, Polian in no order...and I'm probably missing a few.

Who's don't I value:
-anybody in the Buffalo Bills scouting dept. or front office for the last ten years. Nix/Gailey still get a pass because it's to early to say, but i'll admit I wasn't to excited with last years draft. But time will tell on that draft and you can't judge it yet.
-the vast majority of writers ofr magazines, draft sites, or blogs. Some are pretty good, most suck and are trying to be way out there and hope something sticks.

SABURZFAN
02-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Damn, if we could snag Dareus (Tier 1) in the first, and Wilson (Tier 4) in the second that would be sweet.

i wouldn't mind Petersen and Heyward myself.