PDA

View Full Version : If we were to take a QB in the second

Mad Max
02-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Let's say all of these guys drop. Who you taking and why?

-Mallett
-Gabbert
-Locker

This is a hypothetical, where we are DEFINITELY taking a QB in the second.

I've been thinking about it, and have decided on Mallett.

His biggest red flags to me are his lack of mobility and decision making in pressure situations. Even though he ultimately choked away his Bowl game, his mobility and the touch shown on a few of his passes was eye opening.

He is most likely a douche nozzle, but then a lot of QBs are. He most likely smoked a lot of bud, but then many (most?) college kids do. He may not be as smart as Manning, but then neither was Kelly.

I think his biggest flaw, his decision making is the easiest one to work on.

Extremebillsfan247
02-25-2011, 04:53 PM
I would take Gabbert. The reason is that being picked up in the second round, the pressure to start him right away isn't as big as grabbing him in the first round which allows a coach more time to work with him in the developmental process. Drafting him in the first round, the pressure will be higher to put his feet to the fire forcing him to learn at a pace he may not be ready for this early in his career.

Gabbert in many circles is considered one of the top if not the top QB prospects in the draft. To get him in the second round would be a steal in my opinion. I'm not sold on Locker. Taking him in the second round over a talent like Gabbert would be a tough sell to anyone who has been paying close attention to the process so far. JMO As far as Mallet goes, I think he is top shelf for the second tier of QBs in this draft. But, I would take Locker before Mallet.

Bangarang
02-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Gabbert won't drop. But if he did, of those 3, I would take him.

Prov401
02-25-2011, 04:56 PM
I really enjoyed watching Mallett play this season. He does have beautiful touch, and he doesn't have 'cement shoes' like everyone says. He moves around just fine. He has a rocket arm as well. Obviously everything between the ears are in question with this kid, and he's getting comparisons to Ryan Leaf, which is no good.

But if the kid isn't as dumb as everyone is saying, and he surprises on the wonderlic, I wouldn't mind selecting him with the 2nd round pick.

Mad Max
02-25-2011, 04:58 PM
I would take Gabbert. The reason is that being picked up in the second round, the pressure to start him right away isn't as big as grabbing him in the first round which allows a coach more time to work with him in the developmental process. Drafting him in the first round, the pressure will be higher to put his feet to the fire forcing him to learn at a pace he may not be ready for this early in his career.

Gabbert in many circles is considered one of the top if not the top QB prospects in the draft. To get him in the second round would be a steal in my opinion. I'm not sold on Locker. Taking him in the second round over a talent like Gabbert would be a tough sell to anyone who has been paying close attention to the process so far. JMO

fk, this was supposed to be a poll. Damn you dellapelle for your poll posting prowess.

Anyway, Gabbert would be my second choice, and if we took him I'd be fine with it.

I don't see what X and Mcshay see in him as far as elite ability but I think he could be a very good second tier type of QB.

Extremebillsfan247
02-25-2011, 05:01 PM
fk, this was supposed to be a poll. Damn you dellapelle for your poll posting prowess.

Anyway, Gabbert would be my second choice, and if we took him I'd be fine with it.

I don't see what X and Mcshay see in him as far as elite ability but I think he could be a very good second tier type of QB.lol yeah, sorry about that. It looked like a great topic for discussion so I threw my opinion out there. :peace:

Mad Max
02-25-2011, 05:10 PM
lol yeah, sorry about that. It looked like a great topic for discussion so I threw my opinion out there. :peace:

no apology necessary..it's all about opinions. I just fked up the poll insertion (even after hitting up X for instructions, doh)

As I type, ESPN is comparing the Newton/Gabbert decision with Manning/Leaf lol.

Extremebillsfan247
02-25-2011, 05:11 PM
What I really think might happen though is if the Bills don't grab a QB at 3, they probably wont get one until round 3 where guys like Kaepernick, Dalton, and Ponder might still be had. I think Gailey and Nix really like Fitzpatrick and might see his progress last season as an opportunity to grab a guy this year they can take time to develop into a replacement for Fitz in the near future, start building that offense for the young QB so when ready, they can wave bye to Fitz and insert our QB of the future. Maybe that is the plan this coaching staff has going forward. I could be wrong though. JMO

Mad Max
02-25-2011, 05:14 PM
What I really think might happen though is if the Bills don't grab a QB at 3, they probably wont get one until round 3 where guys like Kaepernick, Dalton, and Ponder might still be had. I think Gailey and Nix really like Fitzpatrick and might see his progress last season as an opportunity to grab a guy this year they can take time to develop into a replacement for Fitz in the near future, start building that offense for the young QB so when ready, they can wave bye to Fitz and insert our QB of the future. Maybe that is the plan this coaching staff has going forward. I could be wrong though. JMO

I really hope they don't take Ponder or Dalton, I would hate either pick.

Kaepernick even though he looks like a 6-6 golem intrigues me, I might not puke up my nachos and Coronas while watching the draft if his name were called.

Night Train
02-25-2011, 05:30 PM
I hate 2nd round QB picks.

They're usually guys who many thought would go in Round 1 due to all the shiny toy measurables... but are just a tease because they suck in crunch time.

YardRat
02-25-2011, 07:09 PM
I would take Gabbert if he's there (he won't be, though), but I'm betting they take Ponder.

bigdog72ny
02-25-2011, 09:47 PM
gabbert wont slide ,so id go with locker

Ginger Vitis
02-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Christian Ponder

Luisito23
02-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Nobody!...We either get the best, or just wait till the next draft.

bigbub2352
02-25-2011, 10:24 PM
gabbert
then Mallett i think the bills mite like kapernick thou

Mr. Pink
02-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Locker.

If he can be coached up and work on his accuracy, he is easily the best QB in this draft class.

If not, well he'll bust, hence why I wouldn't want him in Round 1 because of that risk.

ServoBillieves
02-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Gabbert is not an option as a "drop", so might as well take him off the list.

Mallett. If you get his ass in line, he's got all the tools in the world to become a great QB.

Michael82
02-26-2011, 12:30 AM
No way in hell Gabbert would fall that far. Of course I'd take him. But seeing how it's a pipe dream, I would take Ryan Mallett instead.

Commissioner
02-26-2011, 12:43 AM
This is stupid.... because Gabbert could go #1 overall in the draft. Schefter tweeted that he spoke to an NFL front office guy who thinks Carolina should take Gabbert.

Forward_Lateral
02-26-2011, 09:03 AM
Locker. Thinking Gabbert would be there is like crapping in your hand and wishing.

Johnny Bugmenot
02-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Mallett. Seems to me to have the most overall skills and the most potential to develop into a franchise quarterback. As for the gossip, it is what it is, gossip... and dropping to the second and having a year to develop under Fitzpatrick will help in the mental department.

dannyek71
02-26-2011, 10:28 AM
i say take a qb with ALL of our picks. We got to find one somewhere.

better days
02-26-2011, 10:36 AM
i say take a qb with ALL of our picks. We got to find one somewhere.

Well, Carolina drafted 2 QB's last year without finding one. Maybe they will take a QB this year with all their picks in the hope of finding one.

DraftBoy
02-26-2011, 10:38 AM
None, Id rather wait till Day 3 and take a guy like TJ Yates.

If I had to pick one, Ill take Locker, but that's only with a gun to my head.

bluerosekiller
02-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Locker.

If he can be coached up and work on his accuracy, he is easily the best QB in this draft class.

If not, well he'll bust, hence why I wouldn't want him in Round 1 because of that risk.

I'm with you. I'm a Locker guy.
I think from what I've seen of him that he'd be an excellent choice as our QB of the future & would do very well to sit a year or so behind Fitz & become a better player for it.
I believe he'd be willing to take the time to learn from a smart, skilled vet & not feel the need for it to be all about him right away.

Shiny Chicken
02-27-2011, 02:13 PM
I might be biased, living here in Seattle, with all the positive press and general love for Locker, but I'd be very happy to see us take him. The guy seems smart, really classy, loyal, and a good fit for a place like Buffalo. I think that his issues are technical ones that can be coached away. Also agree that he's not the type to mind sitting behind a vet for a year or two.

Yasgur's Farm
02-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Gabbert (unlikely 2nd available round 2), Locker (a little less unlikely available round 2), Mallet (50/50 round 2)

alohabillsfan
02-28-2011, 05:50 AM
I hope we dont waste a second or beyond pick on a QB, this team needs all of their picks to contribute. How many current "Franchise" QB's were taken after round 1?

That 2nd, 3rd or 4th rd pick could very well be a DT, CB, and ILB (Since we were smart enough to take a DE in the 1st.

better days
02-28-2011, 08:09 AM
I might be biased, living here in Seattle, with all the positive press and general love for Locker, but I'd be very happy to see us take him. The guy seems smart, really classy, loyal, and a good fit for a place like Buffalo. I think that his issues are technical ones that can be coached away. Also agree that he's not the type to mind sitting behind a vet for a year or two.

With all the love for Locker in Seattle, that is where he should be drafted & the Hawks may take him in the 1st.