• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mad Max
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
    • Mar 2003

If we were to take a QB in the second

Let's say all of these guys drop. Who you taking and why?

-Mallett
    -Gabbert
    -Locker

This is a hypothetical, where we are DEFINITELY taking a QB in the second.

I've been thinking about it, and have decided on Mallett.

His biggest red flags to me are his lack of mobility and decision making in pressure situations. Even though he ultimately choked away his Bowl game, his mobility and the touch shown on a few of his passes was eye opening.

He is most likely a douche nozzle, but then a lot of QBs are. He most likely smoked a lot of bud, but then many (most?) college kids do. He may not be as smart as Manning, but then neither was Kelly.

I think his biggest flaw, his decision making is the easiest one to work on.
    Last edited by Mad Max; 02-25-2011, 04:41 PM.
  • Extremebillsfan247
    • Sep 2008

Re: If we were to take a QB in the second

I would take Gabbert. The reason is that being picked up in the second round, the pressure to start him right away isn't as big as grabbing him in the first round which allows a coach more time to work with him in the developmental process. Drafting him in the first round, the pressure will be higher to put his feet to the fire forcing him to learn at a pace he may not be ready for this early in his career.

Gabbert in many circles is considered one of the top if not the top QB prospects in the draft. To get him in the second round would be a steal in my opinion. I'm not sold on Locker. Taking him in the second round over a talent like Gabbert would be a tough sell to anyone who has been paying close attention to the process so far. JMO As far as Mallet goes, I think he is top shelf for the second tier of QBs in this draft. But, I would take Locker before Mallet.
    Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 02-25-2011, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Bangarang
      • Sep 2010

Gabbert won't drop. But if he did, of those 3, I would take him.

Comment

• Prov401
        President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
        • Aug 2008

I really enjoyed watching Mallett play this season. He does have beautiful touch, and he doesn't have 'cement shoes' like everyone says. He moves around just fine. He has a rocket arm as well. Obviously everything between the ears are in question with this kid, and he's getting comparisons to Ryan Leaf, which is no good.

But if the kid isn't as dumb as everyone is saying, and he surprises on the wonderlic, I wouldn't mind selecting him with the 2nd round pick.
        Last edited by Prov401; 02-25-2011, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• Mad Max
          Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
          I would take Gabbert. The reason is that being picked up in the second round, the pressure to start him right away isn't as big as grabbing him in the first round which allows a coach more time to work with him in the developmental process. Drafting him in the first round, the pressure will be higher to put his feet to the fire forcing him to learn at a pace he may not be ready for this early in his career.

Gabbert in many circles is considered one of the top if not the top QB prospects in the draft. To get him in the second round would be a steal in my opinion. I'm not sold on Locker. Taking him in the second round over a talent like Gabbert would be a tough sell to anyone who has been paying close attention to the process so far. JMO
          fk, this was supposed to be a poll. Damn you dellapelle for your poll posting prowess.

Anyway, Gabbert would be my second choice, and if we took him I'd be fine with it.

I don't see what X and Mcshay see in him as far as elite ability but I think he could be a very good second tier type of QB.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mad Max
            fk, this was supposed to be a poll. Damn you dellapelle for your poll posting prowess.

Anyway, Gabbert would be my second choice, and if we took him I'd be fine with it.

I don't see what X and Mcshay see in him as far as elite ability but I think he could be a very good second tier type of QB.
            lol yeah, sorry about that. It looked like a great topic for discussion so I threw my opinion out there.

Comment

• Mad Max
              Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
              • Mar 2003

lol yeah, sorry about that. It looked like a great topic for discussion so I threw my opinion out there.
              no apology necessary..it's all about opinions. I just fked up the poll insertion (even after hitting up X for instructions, doh)

As I type, ESPN is comparing the Newton/Gabbert decision with Manning/Leaf lol.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                • Sep 2008

What I really think might happen though is if the Bills don't grab a QB at 3, they probably wont get one until round 3 where guys like Kaepernick, Dalton, and Ponder might still be had. I think Gailey and Nix really like Fitzpatrick and might see his progress last season as an opportunity to grab a guy this year they can take time to develop into a replacement for Fitz in the near future, start building that offense for the young QB so when ready, they can wave bye to Fitz and insert our QB of the future. Maybe that is the plan this coaching staff has going forward. I could be wrong though. JMO
                Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 02-25-2011, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Mad Max
                  Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                  • Mar 2003

What I really think might happen though is if the Bills don't grab a QB at 3, they probably wont get one until round 3 where guys like Kaepernick, Dalton, and Ponder might still be had. I think Gailey and Nix really like Fitzpatrick and might see his progress last season as an opportunity to grab a guy this year they can take time to develop into a replacement for Fitz in the near future, start building that offense for the young QB so when ready, they can wave bye to Fitz and insert our QB of the future. Maybe that is the plan this coaching staff has going forward. I could be wrong though. JMO
                  I really hope they don't take Ponder or Dalton, I would hate either pick.

Kaepernick even though he looks like a 6-6 golem intrigues me, I might not puke up my nachos and Coronas while watching the draft if his name were called.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

I hate 2nd round QB picks.

They're usually guys who many thought would go in Round 1 due to all the shiny toy measurables... but are just a tease because they suck in crunch time.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I would take Gabbert if he's there (he won't be, though), but I'm betting they take Ponder.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• bigdog72ny
                        • Jan 2010

gabbert wont slide ,so id go with locker

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                          • Feb 2009

Christian Ponder

Comment

• Luisito23
                            Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                            • Apr 2003

Nobody!...We either get the best, or just wait till the next draft.
                            "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                            ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                            ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                            ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• bigbub2352
                              • Feb 2005

gabbert
                              then Mallett i think the bills mite like kapernick thou
                              XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

Working...
                              X