PDA

View Full Version : Those Obsessed With Skill (QB,WR,CB) Players For The Draft..

Night Train
02-26-2011, 07:06 AM
..Will be the first to complain when the Bills are getting run over in games, down by 10-14 points in the 2nd quarter. You're conclusion will be " Told you, we need better skill players " :rolleyes:

Not saying Peterson, Green, Gabbert, Newton etc. are not worthy of high selections or void of top talent... But when your team is the absolute worst at stopping the run and rushing the passer, you have no chance of competing unless you have All-Pro players at multiple other positions with a HOF QB playing out of his mind. Peyton Manning overcame those odds one year but they still had some players on on an overall bad D. That's still the EXCEPTION. SB participants GB & Pittsburgh both have top QB's but their D's were the 2 best in football last year. Hardly a coincidence. That's what wins you close games and allows you to advance in the playoffs 98 % of the time. You cannot win constantly playing from behind.

The Bills lack star power to a level of an expansion team and Gailey was left an absolute mess. Expansion teams go for D first to stay in games, while the O comes around in 2-3 years. With Gailey running our O, I think it will come around far quicker. He's the best HC we've had in years.

This is still a 2 year minimum rebuild job and you load up on D Front 7 additions until it changes. Then you can focus on other areas. This draft seems to have an above average number of Front 7 talent, so it's a great opportunity to finally change the direction of this team.

I could care less what Peter King, Todd McShay or any other talking head who doesn't follow our team thinks. The Front 7 on D is priority #1. Those mock drafts mean nothing.

Hopefully our stubborn 92 year old owner, who is more concerned with marketing ploys over wins, will finally listen and contain his desire to meddle.

alohabillsfan
02-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Concur 100% DE/DT/LB

better days
02-26-2011, 07:23 AM
I totally agree. The Bills 1st two priorities should be 1)Stop the run. 2)Get to the QB.

If they think a QB in the draft could be a franchise guy, I am good with that. Aside from that the Bills need to draft defense defense defense & from the front to the back.

BrunnyJ
02-26-2011, 09:06 AM
100% right

justasportsfan
02-26-2011, 10:36 AM
I'd like to order a Sapp please.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Film-study-Fairley-and-Dareus/086a5081-6233-4366-b2f2-55b063ca31e5

better days
02-26-2011, 10:44 AM
I'd like to order a Sapp please.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Film-study-Fairley-and-Dareus/086a5081-6233-4366-b2f2-55b063ca31e5

If Dareus is anything like Sapp, I would love him. As a Bucs fan I loved to watch Sapp play on Sunday & I enjoyed listening to him on the radio during the week.

DraftBoy
02-26-2011, 10:51 AM
DL in the 1st and OL in the 2nd.

1st-Dareus
2nd-Sherrod (pray he drops)

Luisito23
02-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Dareus would the the smart pick.

djjimkelly
02-26-2011, 11:20 AM
if people remember the coach on wgr

he had a saying if u have a chance to take a skilled 300 man u do.

the reasoning behind that is simple

how many 300 pound men are there in the first place

then how many of them are athletic

in the nfl you can look across the league the team with the most skilled 275 to 325 men are by far the best teams

cookie G
02-26-2011, 11:54 AM
if people remember the coach on wgr

he had a saying if u have a chance to take a skilled 300 man u do.

the reasoning behind that is simple

how many 300 pound men are there in the first place

then how many of them are athletic

in the nfl you can look across the league the team with the most skilled 275 to 325 men are by far the best teams

Its called Planet Theory, coined by George Young of the Giants. It isn't just big guys though, it is big COMBINED with athleticism.

"there are only so many big men who can move on the planet. When one comes along, you better consider him."

The Bills have carried the Anti-Planet theory for the last decade.

"yeah, we can always find a good, big player later in the draft".

justasportsfan
02-26-2011, 12:08 PM
I really want Dareus

“I’m a real nice guy,” he said. “Everybody I tackle I pretty much help them up. Then I tell them, ‘I’m coming after you on the next play.’ I like to have fun playing the game.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/02/26/dareus-built-like-a-tree/

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Marcell-Dareus-Speaks-at-the-Combine/ea049239-b14c-49ed-8d56-14ff8e1d0ce8

ServoBillieves
02-26-2011, 03:05 PM
I should just save this stupid but completely correct statement.

"It all starts in the trenches"

ParanoidAndroid
02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm right there with you.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=200675

Mr. Pink
02-26-2011, 03:51 PM
I want the best player period for a team that has multiple holes.

If Patrick Peterson is that player, then that's who should be taken.

With all the holes this team has, one single draft ain't gonna fix it.

better days
02-26-2011, 04:51 PM
I want the best player period for a team that has multiple holes.

If Patrick Peterson is that player, then that's who should be taken.

With all the holes this team has, one single draft ain't gonna fix it.

With all the holes on this team, an extra pick or two would help much more than Peterson.............Trade down.

Mahdi
02-26-2011, 05:05 PM
With all the holes on this team, an extra pick or two would help much more than Peterson.............Trade down.
Our suckiness finally awards us a top 3 pick and you want to trade it away? Thanks but im tired of the Bills being crappy but still managing to earn the #12 pick.

We need to make this pick count, it must be a dang good player and this player must become a pro bowler for us.

If that player is Peterson we take him, if its Newton we take him. There are 6 other rounds to take players that can stop the run.

I can't stand this idea that because we couldn't stop the run we HAVE to take a player that is a run stuffer with the #3 overall pick.

KC sucked at stopping the run in 09, you didn't see them panicking and taking a run stuffer with their top 5 pick in the 2010 draft. They picked the BEST player available which was Eric Berry. They also finished 10-6 and made the playoffs.

They also became a better run defense with basically the same personnel they had the year before.

better days
02-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Our suckiness finally awards us a top 3 pick and you want to trade it away? Thanks but im tired of the Bills being crappy but still managing to earn the #12 pick.

We need to make this pick count, it must be a dang good player and this player must become a pro bowler for us.

If that player is Peterson we take him, if its Newton we take him. There are 6 other rounds to take players that can stop the run.

I can't stand this idea that because we couldn't stop the run we HAVE to take a player that is a run stuffer with the #3 overall pick.

KC sucked at stopping the run in 09, you didn't see them panicking and taking a run stuffer with their top 5 pick in the 2010 draft. They picked the BEST player available which was Eric Berry. They also finished 10-6 and made the playoffs.

They also became a better run defense with basically the same personnel they had the year before.

I would be fine if the Bills think a QB is worthy of the #3 pick. I totally disagree about Peterson at 3.

I think in a draft that is said to have many 1st rnd DL players in it it would be much better to trade down a little & get a player that you might have been happy with at 3 & an extra pick or two.

From what I have seen & read, Peterson has as many questions about his ability as the big boys do, it is not like he is a lock to be great.

If I am going to gamble, I would rather gamble on a QB or DL, now those positions are worth a gamble at #3. A CB, not so much.

justasportsfan
02-26-2011, 11:05 PM
for the most part, teams that have beaten the Pats have been able to make Brady's life miserable in the trenches. The reason why I would go with Dareus over Peterson is because Dareus helps us in 2 ways, stop the run and get to the qb. If that happens , the Pats maybe be forced to use their TE's to help block our DL. Without a dominant DL, their TE's will pick apart our safeties anyways and even Peterson won't stop that by himself.

THATHURMANATOR
02-26-2011, 11:07 PM
A great Franchise QB is the only chance we will ever win a Superbowl.

I am with you on all other skill positions.

Mahdi
02-26-2011, 11:10 PM
for the most part, teams that have beaten the Pats have been able to make Brady's life miserable in the trenches. The reason why I would go with Dareus over Peterson is because Dareus helps us in 2 ways, stop the run and get to the qb. If that happens , the Pats maybe be forced to use their TE's to help block our DL. Without a dominant DL, their TE's will pick apart our safeties anyways and even Peterson won't stop that by himself.
So you don't think Revis plays a part in the Jets beating the Pats? a critical part too....

You also have to consider that 3-4 DEs are not typically high draft picks because they don't need to be. They are there to eat up blockers. It so happens we have Edwards and Carrington who was looking good towards the end of the season, we also have Troup. That means Dareus would join a rotation. Whereas, Peterson would be on the field for every defensive snap, cover every team's best WR, great tackler in run support and would allow us to put more people up at the LoS to defend the run and rush the passer as the Jets do. Why do you think the Jets are constantly sending Safeties in their blitz packages? Because Revis is out there on his own covering. That is a huge advantage. Why do you think the Jets are always able to pack the LoS with 8 or 9 guys? Because Revis can cover on his own and you can afford to play your safety as an extra LB.

Is Dareus going to allow us to send more blitzers? Is he going to be a major force as a pass rusher from the 5-technique position? Chances are it is doubtful... how many 3-4 DEs are major pass rushers? Glenn Dorsey was supposed to be one of the best interior DL in a long time, he is now a 3-4 DE and not exactly racking up stats. He is doing a great job, but it's the same job a ton of low picks are doing at 3-4 DE around the league.

justasportsfan
02-26-2011, 11:19 PM
So you don't think Revis plays a part in the Jets beating the Pats? a critical part too....

You also have to consider that 3-4 DEs are not typically high draft picks because they don't need to be. They are there to eat up blockers. It so happens we have Edwards and Carrington who was looking good towards the end of the season, we also have Troup. That means Dareus would join a rotation. Whereas, Peterson would be on the field for every defensive snap, cover every team's best WR, great tackler in run support and would allow us to put more people up at the LoS to defend the run and rush the passer as the Jets do.
no doubt, the Jets played a great game that day, but which games a won more often via coverage sacks or dominant DL's getting to the qb? My guess is the latter.

There is still not enough proof that neither Troup nor Carrington have what it takes to be dominant. Edwards was meh. Nix himself said we need to add a couple more on the DL.

And since you brought up the jets, Peterson is not gonna stop them from running all over us either. they ran for over 200 yards against us with a back up rb in the final game with both Troup and Carrington playing

you can't beat the PATS by HOPING that Troup and carrington turn out to be dominant. Right now you can't even call them average.

Mahdi
02-26-2011, 11:23 PM
no doubt, the Jets played a great game that day, but which games a won more often via coverage sacks or dominant DL's getting to the qb? My guess is the latter.

There is still not enough proof that neither Troup nor Carrington have what it takes to be dominant. Edwards was meh. Nix himself said we need to add a couple more on the DL.

And since you brought up the jets, Peterson is not gonna stop them from running all over us either. they ran for over 200 yards against us with a back up rb in the final game with both Troup and Carrington playing

you can't beat the PATS by HOPING that Troup and carrington turn out to be dominant. Right now you can't even call them average.
You obviously didn't read my whole post. Yes a dominant cover CB will help your run game, because if he can be left on an island with anyone then that means you can put more players at the LoS and defend with numbers. This is what the Jets do, they don't really have a PB DL, its a good one, but it's backed up by solid LBs and extra guys in the box that makes their job easier which goes back to Revis.

Mahdi
02-26-2011, 11:28 PM

So you beat the Pats by picking inferior football players 3rd overall because they play DL?

Bottom line, if the Bills believe Peterson is the better overall prospect they have to pick him or else they deserve another Maybin situation all over again.

justasportsfan
02-26-2011, 11:29 PM
You obviously didn't read my whole post. Yes a dominant cover CB will help your run game, because if he can be left on an island with anyone then that means you can put more players at the LoS and defend with numbers. This is what the Jets do, they don't really have a PB DL, its a good one, but it's backed up by solid LBs and extra guys in the box that makes their job easier which goes back to Revis.

I've read that argument before , and I felt it didn't need a repeat argument. it's goes both ways. If yor Dl can be dominant with only rushing 3-4 guys you wouldn't need to send anyone upfront either .

justasportsfan
02-26-2011, 11:33 PM
So you beat the Pats by picking inferior football players 3rd overall because they play DL? are you saying Dareus is inferior and is not worth the 3rd pick overall?

Bottom line, if the Bills believe Peterson is the better overall prospect they have to pick him or else they deserve another Maybin situation all over again.
Like I've stated before, I wouldn't hate the Peterson pick but wouldn't be in love withit either. He won't fix the run game, I guarantee that.

Mahdi
02-26-2011, 11:35 PM
I've read that argument before , and I felt it didn't need a repeat argument. it's goes both ways. If yor Dl can be dominant with only rushing 3-4 guys you wouldn't need to send anyone upfront either .
Exactly, this is why they need to simply take the best football player. Because the best football player gives you the best chance at doing what you want to do defensively, whether its sending less rushers and still getting a pass rush or being able to send more without sacrificing good coverage.

Mahdi
02-26-2011, 11:36 PM
are you saying Dareus is inferior and is not worth the 3rd pick overall?

Like I've stated before, I wouldn't hate the Peterson pick but wouldn't be in love withit either. He won't fix the run game, I guarantee that.
So how did KC fix their run D? They were 32nd in 2009 and then they chose Berry.

justasportsfan
02-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Exactly, this is why they need to simply take the best football player. Because the best football player gives you the best chance at doing what you want to do defensively, whether its sending less rushers and still getting a pass rush or being able to send more without sacrificing good coverage.

This is where you contradict yourself. You said that Donte was the top 5 best safety and you said his getting burned by TE's was due to the DL giving the qb all day to throw. Guess what, you give the Qb all day to throw, Peterson will get burned too.

Mahdi
02-26-2011, 11:43 PM
This is where you contradict yourself. You said that Donte was the top 5 best safety and you said his getting burned by TE's was due to the DL giving the qb all day to throw. Guess what, you give the Qb all day to throw, Peterson will get burned too.
There is no contradiction here. If you give a qb all day to throw he will burn you. Now, the Jets don't give you all day do they, Revis covers and then they send 6 guys in the blitz which means, no time to throw.

The Bills don't have a CB who is good enough to allow us to send 6 and we also don't have an edge rusher those are two problems you can't have. The Jets don't have a dominant edge rusher either but they compensate with bringing more guys than you can block, which is again due to Revis.

cookie G
02-26-2011, 11:50 PM
So how did KC fix their run D? They were 32nd in 2009 and then they chose Berry.

1. They were smart enough to realize that merely changing schemes doesn't make your defense better. Todd Haley found out the hard way, just like the Bills did.

2. So, they brought in a coordinator who knows how to use their talent.

3. They have 4 No. 1 picks in their front 7, including 2 top 5 picks. The talent was there, for the most part.

I love Eric Berry as a player, but if you think he was the reason their run D is better, well.

justasportsfan
02-27-2011, 12:07 AM
There is no contradiction here. If you give a qb all day to throw he will burn you. Now, the Jets don't give you all day do they, Revis covers and then they send 6 guys in the blitz which means, no time to throw.

The Bills don't have a CB who is good enough to allow us to send 6 and we also don't have an edge rusher those are two problems you can't have. The Jets don't have a dominant edge rusher either but they compensate with bringing more guys than you can block, which is again due to Revis.

Wow , saying that Reevis single handedly allows the jets to blitz is false. To imply that getting to a qb is based SOLELY on how good the cb can cover is false. Take reevis away they still blitz no matter what.

I guess people are wrong when they say games are won and lost in the trenches.

justasportsfan
02-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Why did the jets lose to Pitts? Reevis couldn't stop the run.

bosshogg21
02-27-2011, 02:16 AM
I want the next Julius peppers....Robert Quinn.

Spiderweb
02-27-2011, 02:24 AM
Robert Quinn is a very intriguing prospect indeed, Seems both strong and fast, and his ability to dip his inside shoulder on a rush is reminiscent of a pretty good DE I once enjoyed watching. Now if he can add a spin move and .....

Mahdi
02-27-2011, 04:56 AM
1. They were smart enough to realize that merely changing schemes doesn't make your defense better. Todd Haley found out the hard way, just like the Bills did.

2. So, they brought in a coordinator who knows how to use their talent.

3. They have 4 No. 1 picks in their front 7, including 2 top 5 picks. The talent was there, for the most part.

I love Eric Berry as a player, but if you think he was the reason their run D is better, well.
2 top 5 picks? You mean Tyson Jackson who they reached for and has been a disappointment (not even starting) Yer only proving my point. They now realize that Jackson was a knee-jerk pick.

As I said, they turned their run D around with basically the same personnel as the year before when they were last.

And I never said Berry was the reason their run D was good this year, I said despite having huge needs for a run stuffer they STILL took the BPA instead of panick drafting and selecting a player that MAYBE fixes a problem.

You don't draft at 3 to fix a problem, you draft at 3 to get an All Pro player.

Night Train
02-27-2011, 05:00 AM
No such animal present in this Draft, IMO.

Even if there is one, do you set him up to lose by always playing from behind, due to our D stopping no one?

How can he develop if he's too busy running for his life and getting pounded ?

First things first. Set up a good situation for him by having a much more improved D.

Mahdi
02-27-2011, 05:04 AM
Wow , saying that Reevis single handedly allows the jets to blitz is false. To imply that getting to a qb is based SOLELY on how good the cb can cover is false. Take reevis away they still blitz no matter what.

I guess people are wrong when they say games are won and lost in the trenches.
Do you not watch the games? Revis is often left alone in coverage and as a result they can send their safeties and other CBs in the blitz. They had 11 sacks from DBs last year and that doesn't account for when they don't get the sack but force OTs to block them and leave other rushers.

If Revis was not there they wouldn't be as comfortable and the good offenses would be able to exploit any other CB if they ran their defense as usual.

Again, this is all assuming Peterson for them is the BPA. If they actually believe Dareus is the better overall player then great, draft him, but they better be right because how dumb would we look (once again) when PP is an all star and Dareus is absorbing blocks all day when a 3rd round pick could do the same job.

TedMock
02-27-2011, 05:05 AM
I don't see how Dareus is not the pick if he's there. I've always been a big Peterson fan, but at 3, these guys will be rated so close anyway. Dareus is not only going to fit the "BPA within reason" that I prefer, he'll also fill multiple holes because of his diversity. I would not be disappointed with a couple other guys at the pick, but Dareus appears to make the most sense.

Mahdi
02-27-2011, 05:10 AM
I want the next Julius peppers....Robert Quinn.
All those North Carolina picks are intriguing. Quinn maybe the best pass rusher, Sturdivant may be the best ILB, Little may be the best WR (its a stretch but this kid is amazing and could have had a monster year if not for NCAA suspension) and Deunta Williams may be the best Safety.

I have no problems with the Bills going after Quinn if they feel he is that good. Fact is he was almost unblockable in 09. I wouldn't mind seeing him opposite Merriman.

Mahdi
02-27-2011, 05:12 AM
I don't see how Dareus is not the pick if he's there. I've always been a big Peterson fan, but at 3, these guys will be rated so close anyway. Dareus is not only going to fit the "BPA within reason" that I prefer, he'll also fill multiple holes because of his diversity. I would not be disappointed with a couple other guys at the pick, but Dareus appears to make the most sense.
So if Dareus turns into Ty Warren and Peterson turns into Nnamdi Asomugha yer happy with that?

better days
02-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Do you not watch the games? Revis is often left alone in coverage and as a result they can send their safeties and other CBs in the blitz. They had 11 sacks from DBs last year and that doesn't account for when they don't get the sack but force OTs to block them and leave other rushers.

If Revis was not there they wouldn't be as comfortable and the good offenses would be able to exploit any other CB if they ran their defense as usual.

Again, this is all assuming Peterson for them is the BPA. If they actually believe Dareus is the better overall player then great, draft him, but they better be right because how dumb would we look (once again) when PP is an all star and Dareus is absorbing blocks all day when a 3rd round pick could do the same job.

Well, you are assuming that Peterson will be a great player. If the Bills draft him they better be right. He is just as likely to bust as anyone else. He has as many questions about his play as any top defensive player in the draft.

The Jets would still blitz without Revis IMO because that is Ryans mentality & defense. Peterson may not be as good as Cromartie is let alone Revis.

YardRat
02-27-2011, 06:50 AM

C'mon, thurm...act like you've watched the game before.

cookie G
02-27-2011, 09:17 AM
2 top 5 picks? You mean Tyson Jackson who they reached for and has been a disappointment (not even starting) Yer only proving my point. They now realize that Jackson was a knee-jerk pick.

Pioli and Crennel love him, that's what matters, I suppose. He got hurt in the first or second game last year.

As I said, they turned their run D around with basically the same personnel as the year before when they were last.

We don't have Romeo Crennel, we have George Edwards. Big problem no. 1. Before Edwards got here, we had the 2nd ranked pass D in the league, in a number of areas.

Now all of the sudden it sucks and people want to spend yet another No. 1 pick on a DB.

And I never said Berry was the reason their run D was good this year, I said despite having huge needs for a run stuffer they STILL took the BPA instead of panick drafting and selecting a player that MAYBE fixes a problem.

The defensive backfield for KC was worse than their front 7. They got a very good player in an area of need.

People think this is some type of mortal sin...to fill a hole with a good player.

You don't draft at 3 to fix a problem, you draft at 3 to get an All Pro player.

Why are you assuming that a Dareus, or a Bowers, or a Quinn, won't be an All Pro player?

There is only one All Pro player in the Top 5?

TedMock
02-27-2011, 10:22 AM
So if Dareus turns into Ty Warren and Peterson turns into Nnamdi Asomugha yer happy with that?

Ummmm....no. I never even remotely came close suggesting something so stupid. I suggested that the rating will probably be very close in which case I would take the bigger need. I have always maintained the BPA approach is best within reason. If Peterson is a 9 and Dareus is a 6, you take Peterson. No questions asked. If they're both 9's, or a 9 v 8.5, you would lean toward the need. Warren vs Asomugha is a bit of a leap. Peterson is my favorite player in the draft, but he still struggles in zone and playing off at times. Man-up, he's an absolute beast. I would love him as our pick, but the coaching staff would have to use him properly. The reason I also like Dareus is that he seems to excel in a big role and a penetrating role. I like the diversity at a high level. If both end up elite players, we may be talking about a Sapp vs Asomugha argument in a few years.

justasportsfan
02-27-2011, 10:55 AM

there you go again with that statement. I most likely don't know what I'm looking at when I saw the jets DL getting ran over for 200 yards on the way to getting their arse handed to them in the AFCE game and there wasn't a single thing that Reevis could do to stop it. The facts are there and you're asking me did I see the games (FACTS)

Unlike you I don't have to talk like one will end up doing nothing in order to talk up the other player because IMO both players have the potential to be good at their respective positions but I'll play along....let me fix your post.

but they better be right because how dumb would we look (once again) when Dareus is an all star and Peterson is looking like Mckelvin all day when a 3rd round pick could do the same job.

When Rex Ryans team in Baltimore won the sb, they won it in the trenches. He was their DL coach. Not a single one of their cb's were as good as Reevis and not one made it to the probowl. How about that for facts.

Nighthawk
02-27-2011, 10:58 AM
C'mon, thurm...act like you've watched the game before.

Umm, he's right. What football are you watching?

Nighthawk
02-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Anybody who believe that a CB makes that big a difference on a team that's front seven isn't very good, really must not be watching football...either that or they are watching on a very small TV!

justasportsfan
02-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Anybody who believe that a CB makes that big a difference on a team that's front seven isn't very good, really must not be watching football...either that or they are watching on a very small TV!
anyone who thinks Whitner s worth 6-7 million...... I'll take back Jim Leonhard back over Whitner anyday, Dick should bring Whitner to Cleveland.

Mr. Pink
02-27-2011, 11:56 AM
anyone who thinks Whitner s worth 6-7 million...... I'll take back Jim Leonhard back over Whitner anyday, Dick should bring Whitner to Cleveland.

NO

Mahdi
02-27-2011, 12:00 PM
there you go again with that statement. I most likely don't know what I'm looking at when I saw the jets DL getting ran over for 200 yards on the way to getting their arse handed to them in the AFCE game and there wasn't a single thing that Reevis could do to stop it. The facts are there and you're asking me did I see the games (FACTS)

Unlike you I don't have to talk like one will end up doing nothing in order to talk up the other player because IMO both players have the potential to be good at their respective positions but I'll play along....let me fix your post.

When Rex Ryans team in Baltimore won the sb, they won it in the trenches. He was their DL coach. Not a single one of their cb's were as good as Reevis and not one made it to the probowl. How about that for facts.
Which is why I said earlier this all assumes that Peterson is viewed as the better overall player. If Nix thinks Dareus is the better overall player I have no problem with the pick.

Are you critisizing a team that has been to the AFC Championship game two years in a row beating Brady, Manning, Rivers etc.?

Mahdi
02-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Again, I could care less what happened last year. A good GM doesn't base his picks on what happened the year before. It's about picking the best player you can and building around him.

better days
02-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Which is why I said earlier this all assumes that Peterson is viewed as the better overall player. If Nix thinks Dareus is the better overall player I have no problem with the pick.

Well, what if both players are about the same talent level? I think it is much more likely that is the case than Peterson is so much better than everyone else.

Johnny Bugmenot
02-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Before Edwards got here, we had the 2nd ranked pass D in the league, in a number of areas.

Now all of the sudden it sucks One side note, statistically, the pass D wasn't that bad... though in all fairness we didn't see much of it because the front 7 was a complete disaster and teams just decided to run over the Bills instead of trying to pass. I think we can safely say we learned nothing about the Bills pass defense's legitimacy this past season... which makes picking a cornerback all the more dumb of a decision.

cookie G
02-27-2011, 12:59 PM
One side note, statistically, the pass D wasn't that bad... though in all fairness we didn't see much of it because the front 7 was a complete disaster and teams just decided to run over the Bills instead of trying to pass. I think we can safely say we learned nothing about the Bills pass defense's legitimacy this past season... which makes picking a cornerback all the more dumb of a decision.

In 09, they had around as many attempts against them as the Ravens and Pats, and more than the Jets.

They just have a bad DC making them look bad.

justasportsfan
02-27-2011, 07:55 PM
NO ESPN reported that aside from Whitner Dick plans to bring in Mccargo as well and Maybin if the bills drop hem both .

:snicker:

YardRat
02-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Umm, he's right. What football are you watching?

The NFL, where offense sells tickets and defense wins championships. Pretty sure we've been over this ad nauseum.

justasportsfan
02-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Are you critisizing a team that has been to the AFC Championship game two years in a row beating Brady, Manning, Rivers etc.?
no, All I did was point out that YOUR opinion about Reevis making the entire jets D got owned by a running game. Besides, the jets made it as far as they have not only by their D but by their top running game as well which was aided by a great OL that owns DL from other teams which again proves that the trenches is where it's at.

DraftBoy
02-27-2011, 08:31 PM
The NFL, where offense sells tickets and defense wins championships. Pretty sure we've been over this ad nauseum.

Just so you know before somebody else says it. Dilfer doesnt count...ever.

/sarcasm

Nighthawk
02-27-2011, 08:32 PM

Yeah, Ok, please recap for me the QBs on the SB winners in the past decade...

DraftBoy
02-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Yeah, Ok, please recap for me the QBs on the SB winners in the past decade...

Can you define "Franchise QB" as well, just to be fair.

Mr. Pink
02-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Just so you know before somebody else says it. Dilfer doesnt count...ever.

/sarcasm

Why does everyone shortchange what Dilfer did for the Ravens? If the Ravens won on defense and defense alone, Tony Banks would have never lost the starting job.

DraftBoy
02-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Why does everyone shortchange what Dilfer did for the Ravens? If the Ravens won on defense and defense alone, Tony Banks would have never lost the starting job.

Dilfer was the perfect game manager for that team. He was efficient and effective in moving the team and getting first downs to eat up clock. Did they score a ton? No, but they had an All-Pro kicker in Matt Stover and their defense didnt need points it just needed time to catch its breath.

Dilfer wasn't bad, but he wasnt a franchise QB either.

psubills62
02-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Outside of QB, I don't think anyone is anywhere near "obsessed" with taking a skill position. Somehow people mistake "keeping options open" for "being obsessed" and "needing."

k-oneputt
02-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Taking an AJ Green at #3 shouldn't even be an option for this team.

Julio Jones is better anyways.

psubills62
02-28-2011, 10:13 AM

Jones sure tore up the combine.

DraftBoy
02-28-2011, 11:02 AM

Yea minus the injury issues and dropsies he likes to catch.

Both are phenomenal prospects, but I still grade Green higher.

better days
02-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Yea minus the injury issues and dropsies he likes to catch.

Both are phenomenal prospects, but I still grade Green higher.

If Green were so good as to be a top 3 pick, he should be head & shoulders above the next receiver IMO.

DraftBoy
02-28-2011, 01:59 PM
If Green were so good as to be a top 3 pick, he should be head & shoulders above the next receiver IMO.

He is...

better days
02-28-2011, 03:53 PM
He is...

Not according to McShay. He has him rated higher, but not by a lot.

DraftBoy
02-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Not according to McShay. He has him rated higher, but not by a lot.

Again I respect McShay but I disagree.

alohabillsfan
02-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Just to high to draft a WR IMO