PDA

View Full Version : Kaepernick Meets with the Bills

homeslice5484
02-26-2011, 07:40 PM
In response to me.

According to Colin Kaepernick, the Buffalo Bills have met with Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick at the 2011 NFL Combine. Kaepernick, a senior prospect that is coming off an outstanding career with the Wolfpack, tweeted the news to a Buffalo Rumblings reader (homeslice5484) that asked that very question.

More:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/2/26/2017695/colin-kaepernick-buffalo-bills-2011-nfl-combine

Don't Panic
02-26-2011, 07:50 PM
One of the biggest questions is whether or not we go QB early or late - I think there is no doubt we'll draft one. He is one of a few guys I would look at 4th round or later if still there, along with Stanzi and Devlin.

nolimit
02-26-2011, 08:05 PM
wont last until the 4th

homeslice5484
02-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Id say we have to draft him at the latest in the 3rd, or trade back into round 2?

wont last until the 4th

Extremebillsfan247
02-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Id say we have to draft him at the latest in the 3rd, or trade back into round 2?

I think it will depend on how quickly guys like Newton, Gabbert, and Locker come off the board. Once Gabbert and Newton are gone, guys like Locker and Kaepernick are going to look very appealing considering there are at least 7 teams in this years draft looking for a QB according to NFL.com analysts. You might be right, if we don't take him in the 3rd, he's as good as gone. You might even say that we might have to reach to get him. JMO

homeslice5484
02-26-2011, 08:50 PM
In my opinion, I dont think its a bad idea to reach for a QB if you really want the guy. Its not every day you find a franchise QB, we should know. So if you really want someone, you take him before someone else does, even if it is what others would call a reach. Thats a good reach, its not a Whitner pick.

clumping platelets
02-26-2011, 08:56 PM
3rd rd

baalworship
02-26-2011, 08:57 PM
If we pass on Newton and Gabbert I would be fine with Kaepernick. He has a rocket arm for the Buffalo elements and he has nice mobility as well. I would prefer him over Mallett or Locker.

bigdog72ny
02-26-2011, 09:11 PM
i want nothing to do with him

Bangarang
02-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Hopefully he's worked on his mechanics. That's been his biggest criticism so far.

THATHURMANATOR
02-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Are we kidding with this guy? Why bother?

Captain Obvious
02-26-2011, 10:18 PM

You won't be saying this on draft day. Every Qb the Bills have drafted in the last 10 years you had high hopes for and you can't bring yourself to criticize or not like a Qb the Bills draft

justasportsfan
02-26-2011, 10:37 PM
you wanted Claussen in the 1st rd whose entire hand is as big as Kaepernicks pinky

THATHURMANATOR
02-26-2011, 10:43 PM
You won't be saying this on draft day. Every Qb the Bills have drafted in the last 10 years you had high hopes for and you can't bring yourself to criticize or not like a Qb the Bills draft
That is a complete lie. I HATED the Losman pick. I was indifferent to the Edwards pick and could care less about Levi Brown. What other QBs have we drafted in that timeframe? I am not saying I didnt root for them or wont for this guy, just saying I am not excited about this guy at all.

THATHURMANATOR
02-26-2011, 10:45 PM
you wanted Claussen in the 1st rd whose entire hand is as big as Kaepernicks pinky
What does this have to do with what I want now? Should I not learn from past mistakes? IMO if we don't get a QB with our first pick don't bother wasting a pick on a guy we all know won't make a difference. Spend the pick on guys that actually have a chance to contribute.

justasportsfan
02-26-2011, 10:53 PM
What does this have to do with what I want now? Should I not learn from past mistakes? IMO if we don't get a QB with our first pick don't bother wasting a pick on a guy we all know won't make a difference. Spend the pick on guys that actually have a chance to contribute.

I wont disagree that we need a frachise qb , but there isn't one sure thing or a Bradford in this draft. This kid however has the talent IMO that Kordell had and maybe even more. If he can sit behind Fitz for a couple of years then I won't be opposed to taking that risk for a 3rd. I would rather take gabbert in the 2nd though.

THATHURMANATOR
02-26-2011, 10:56 PM
I wont disagree that we need a frachise qb , but there isn't one sure thing or a Bradford in this draft. This kid however has the talent IMO that Kordell had and maybe even more. If he can sit behind Fitz for a couple of years then I won't be opposed to taking that risk for a 3rd. I would rather take gabbert in the 2nd though.
IMO it is a waste to take this guy anywhere. He is a project and has about a .01% chance of winning a Superbowl. Just keep Fitz and maybe get a decent backup in FA.

justasportsfan
02-26-2011, 11:09 PM
IMO it is a waste to take this guy anywhere. He is a project and has about a .01% chance of winning a Superbowl. Just keep Fitz and maybe get a decent backup in FA.

Not saying that Gailey is gonna take him at 3 but if he does, then I will have to trust him. Chan has earned that benefit of the doubt and no offense, you haven't.

Nighthawk
02-27-2011, 07:44 AM

I would not give up picks to trade up/back into the second to get Kaepernick. Hell no. His wind up is Leftwich like...pass.

Night Train
02-27-2011, 07:48 AM
3rd rd
at best

If someone picks him sooner, so be it.

alohabillsfan
02-27-2011, 08:01 AM
I wouldnt draft a QB this year. Defense Defense Defense. Next year QB RD 1. Almost all "franchise or elite QB's in the league are 1st rounders with a few exceptions. I dont see a franchise guy at 3. You have to have a plan to build, so fix the defense, and when I say fix, that means draft and FA and build a top 5 defense. Next year I would draft a QB. IMO

Albany,n.y.
02-27-2011, 08:48 AM
This thread is another example of what we Bills fans will put up with. Let's continue to take mid to late round long shots at QB, LT and D-line and hope to get a franchise player instead of doing it right & drafting the most important positions in the 1st round. Let's keep drafting DBs & RBs in the 1st round & don't worry, be happy. Now there might not be a QB worthy of our 1st pick this year, but let's not look for mid-late rounders to be our QB of the future. I'd rather draft no QB this year than waste a pick on a guy who will ride the pine for 2-3 years & then get cut.

Nighthawk
02-27-2011, 10:43 AM
I wouldnt draft a QB this year. Defense Defense Defense. Next year QB RD 1. Almost all "franchise or elite QB's in the league are 1st rounders with a few exceptions. I dont see a franchise guy at 3. You have to have a plan to build, so fix the defense, and when I say fix, that means draft and FA and build a top 5 defense. Next year I would draft a QB. IMO

This thinking is just so ignorant that it drives me crazy! How the hell do you know that there will be a franchise QB in the draft next year besides Luck (who you'd have to be picking #1 to get)? How does anybody know that the Bills will be in a position to get their hands on a franchise QB next year, even if there is another available??? Come on people...make sense, just don't spit out garbage.

I'm not saying they need to get a QB at #3, but stating they should wait until next year (which some on here say EVERY YEAR!) is just plain stupid.

alohabillsfan
02-27-2011, 12:45 PM
This thinking is just so ignorant that it drives me crazy! How the hell do you know that there will be a franchise QB in the draft next year besides Luck (who you'd have to be picking #1 to get)? How does anybody know that the Bills will be in a position to get their hands on a franchise QB next year, even if there is another available??? Come on people...make sense, just don't spit out garbage.

I'm not saying they need to get a QB at #3, but stating they should wait until next year (which some on here say EVERY YEAR!) is just plain stupid.

OK, Most QB's in the league that are "Franchise" type QB's are 1st rounders, with very few exceptions. Now several QB's that are "Franchise" can be had later in round 1 , Flacco, Rodgers, and Rothlesberger. Every one of those teams have an elite defense. If we build a defense and draft a QB next year, hey if we are not in position to draft luck maybe we hit on the defensive guys and won a few more games instead of reaching for a QB and still have a crappy defense.

tampabay25690
02-27-2011, 01:51 PM
One of the biggest questions is whether or not we go QB early or late - I think there is no doubt we'll draft one. He is one of a few guys I would look at 4th round or later if still there, along with Stanzi and Devlin.

U really think Kaepernick will be there in the 4th and later???
I bet he is gone by the end of the 2nd round.....
This is a guy that I can see the Bills trying to get in the 2nd round.
Fits are style great and the way it looks Fitz will be the guy next year anyway. Would be a great for him to learn under Fitz for a year or 2.......

bigdog72ny
02-27-2011, 02:01 PM
how are all these project qb's supposed to sit and learn behind fitz for a year or 2 as stated by most,when fitz is on the last year of his deal

tampabay25690
02-27-2011, 02:03 PM
how are all these project qb's supposed to sit and learn behind fitz for a year or 2 as stated by most,when fitz is on the last year of his deal

I think Fitz stays in B-LO..
Or maybe only sit behind him 1 year then.............

homeslice5484
02-28-2011, 10:53 AM
A league source tells PFT that radar guns at the Scouting Combine revealed Colin Kaepernick of Nevada as possessing the strongest throwing arm in Indianapolis on Sunday.

Kaepernick’s best throw registered 59 miles per hour to lead the field of 16 quarterbacks that opted to participate. (Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert refused. Alabama’s Greg McElroy was injured).

More:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/28/source-radar-gun-says-kaepernick-had-combines-strongest-arm/

ChristopherWalken
02-28-2011, 11:16 AM
I like this kid. Has decent size, amazing arm strength, and legs to rocket out of the pocket.

DraftBoy
02-28-2011, 11:17 AM
I have Kap as the 6th overall QB on my board, 4th Round grade.

Love his intangibles, but extremely raw. Played in a hybrid spread system that uses almost no NFL terminology. Going to be a steep learning curve for Kap, but he is a very smart kid.

Bangarang
02-28-2011, 11:21 AM

Love his intangibles, but extremely raw. Played in a hybrid spread system that uses almost no NFL terminology. Going to be a steep learning curve for Kap, but he is a very smart kid.

Read that he took the Wonderlic last year, scored a 36 and was disappointed with that score.

Do you see a kid like this being able to sit for a year and being productive? Or are we looking at a 2 year sit and learn job at minimum?

DraftBoy
02-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Read that he took the Wonderlic last year, scored a 36 and was disappointed with that score.

Do you see a kid like this being able to sit for a year and being productive? Or are we looking at a 2 year sit and learn job at minimum?

Id say 2 years of sitting, but maybe only one. There is no way in hell Id ever let him see the field his rookie season though. No matter what.

Philagape
02-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Very intrigued by Kaepernick. Seems like a Newton lite, without the risk of a high pick, and without the red flags of inexperience and ethics. Four-year starter, good intangibles (which is what you want especially in a project), pct. has improved every year. I wouldn't mind him in the third round. He might not even last that long.

justasportsfan
02-28-2011, 11:53 AM

a very important trait that I look for in qb's aside from being coachable.

justasportsfan
02-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Very intrigued by Kaepernick. Seems like a Newton lite, without the risk of a high pick,
thats exactly how I feel about Kaepernick. I worry about Newton being full of himself that he might not take criticisms from his coaches and peers well.

better days
02-28-2011, 12:20 PM
A league source tells PFT that radar guns at the Scouting Combine revealed Colin Kaepernick of Nevada as possessing the strongest throwing arm in Indianapolis on Sunday.

Kaepernick’s best throw registered 59 miles per hour to lead the field of 16 quarterbacks that opted to participate. (Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert refused. Alabama’s Greg McElroy was injured).

More:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/28/source-radar-gun-says-kaepernick-had-combines-strongest-arm/

Greg McElroy scored a 48 on the wonderlic out of a possible 50.

Jan Reimers
02-28-2011, 12:35 PM

I'd love him in the 3rd. Big arm, mobile and smart. That equals a ton of upside.

justasportsfan
02-28-2011, 12:39 PM
I'll pass. He's not an icon.

Tatonka
02-28-2011, 01:10 PM
i remember watching the boise st. vs. nevada game this past season. i think boise was favored by 20 points or so. i should probably have a better recollection of the spread considering i lost a lot of money on the game betting on boise.

what i clearly remember about the game was the way that kaepernick just wouldn't quit. he played so well. took some licks but kept making the smart plays and the pulled out the most unlikely victory.

i like the kid a lot. i would probably say my favorite qb in the draft personally, especially after seeing how he performed at teh combine.

DraftBoy
02-28-2011, 01:58 PM
I'd love him in the 3rd. Big arm, mobile and smart. That equals a ton of upside.

Still not a big fan of him in the 3rd, would really feel better about him in the 4th.

THATHURMANATOR
02-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Still not a big fan of him in the 3rd, would really feel better about him in the 4th.
Again why bother.

DB do you have any hope this guy could lead us to a SB win?

justasportsfan
02-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Again why bother.

lets just give away our mid to later rd picks since no one picked at that spot could lead us to a sb win. Cmon thurm what kind of thinking is that?

How dare the Partiots draft Brady where they did. What a waste.

DraftBoy
02-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Again why bother.

Because you never know.

THATHURMANATOR
03-01-2011, 08:26 AM
lets just give away our mid to later rd picks since no one picked at that spot could lead us to a sb win. Cmon thurm what kind of thinking is that?

How dare the Partiots draft Brady where they did. What a waste.
My god the 5 millionth time someone brings up Brady's once in a lifetime occurance.

alohabillsfan
03-01-2011, 09:00 AM
My god the 5 millionth time someone brings up Brady's once in a lifetime occurance.

I know laughable.

mysticsoto
03-01-2011, 10:29 AM

I don't think he will last til the 4th. His athletic intangibles alone will make him worthy of a 3rd in most coaches eyes.

justasportsfan
03-01-2011, 10:54 AM

anyone picked up in the later rounds is considered a project/developmental player. Are you saying we shouldn't even pick up any of these players because these players won't help us win a sb?

Who do you suggest we take there then?

DraftBoy
03-01-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't think he will last til the 4th. His athletic intangibles alone will make him worthy of a 3rd in most coaches eyes.

To which I say "Good Luck!"