PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About Cam Newton

Mike
02-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Will he or Wont he pan out?

When I watched him play this year - on a few mild occasions- this is what I saw: A guy that is very athletic, Run First, one read offense, a guy that has a problem reading defenses, some accurancy and touch issues. Overall, I think he has a very very long way to go before being a special QB in this league.

Here are those exact sentiments expressed in the last 20 sec or so:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81e7f698/Too-much-Newton-hype

FYI: No Way I take this guy in the Fist Round, much less at 3. I would consider him in the 2nd round if he falls.

Mahdi
02-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Everyone said Tebow wouldn't work out and neither would McCoy. Both looked good when thrown into action last season.

psubills62
02-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Everyone said Tebow wouldn't work out and neither would McCoy. Both looked good when thrown into action last season.

I wouldn't rave about their success stories just yet, considering each of those two teams are drafting in the top 6. Looking good for a 5-11 or 4-12 team is different from looking good for a playoff team.

tampabay25690
02-27-2011, 02:12 PM
I guess we will have to see how he pans out.......

baalworship
02-27-2011, 02:58 PM
I saw a completely different quarterback than you did this year. I saw Cam Newton take an Auburn team on his back to tear up the SEC and win a national championship. I saw a quarterback with a very accurate deep pass and who displayed excellent pocket presence. I saw a quarterback that had "it."

Regardless, Buddy Nix will make the call in conjunction with Chan Gailey. Their pick for quarterback will be the most important call they make. I don't expect them to make this choice without reviewing every game tape and turning over every stone on the top candidates.

Philagape
02-27-2011, 04:14 PM
There have been plenty of college "its" that didn't become NFL "its"

Ebenezer
02-27-2011, 04:18 PM
This has all the making of Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. Do they roll the dice? I'd rather have a DE and then take Gabbert or Ponder later in the draft.

Dr. Who
02-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Gabbert isn't going to be there in the second. Think I'd take a shot at the Iowa qb over Ponder if I try for a day two qb.

Buffalo Thriller
02-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Cam needs to quicken his 5 and and 7 step drop and he will hit all the throws.
I can't wait for the Draft. We need to grab Newton.

FlyingDutchman
02-27-2011, 04:46 PM
I think if we get a QB we get Kaepernick or Ponder

Extremebillsfan247
02-27-2011, 05:43 PM

When I watched him play this year - on a few mild occasions- this is what I saw: A guy that is very athletic, Run First, one read offense, a guy that has a problem reading defenses, some accurancy and touch issues. Overall, I think he has a very very long way to go before being a special QB in this league.

FYI: No Way I take this guy in the Fist Round, much less at 3. I would consider him in the 2nd round if he falls.
No one really knows if he is going to pan out or not. I think there is little question that he is an extremely gifted athlete and he knows it. The real question is how hard is this guy willing to work to get better at his job? If he comes into the NFL thinking his talent is good enough to get him through, he will fail. If he is willing to learn, willing to put the time in, and work hard to improve his game, he will be a really good QB in the NFL. If he shows not only that he can lead, but his team will follow him, he will be great. It's really a matter now of how far your willing to stick your neck out as a HC and say this is my QB. A pick like this will either make or break Gailey as a HC in Buffalo. JMO

EricStratton
02-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Shouldn't this (along with the 527 other threads like it) be titles "My opinion on Cam Newton"?

No one sitting where we all are knows what this player can do and none of us have watched the tapes the coaches and scouts watch yet many of us know the "truth".

TigerJ
02-27-2011, 06:17 PM
I've seen suggestions that Newton would be able to get on the field for some gadget plays, but won't be anywhere near a full time starter his first year. That seems about right to me. I think Gabbert will get on the field more, depending on where he goes. I'm not particularly in support of picking any QB at #3 overall, but I suppose I could live with it.

Actually, Newton might be a huge beneficiary of a lockout if the season is canceled. If he's got the dedication he can use the time to fix any issues with mechanics and do all the off field preparation he can so when he can get on the field in training camp 2012 he'll be a lot better prepared to step on the field in a starting role.

Extremebillsfan247
02-27-2011, 06:44 PM
I've seen suggestions that Newton would be able to get on the field for some gadget plays, but won't be anywhere near a full time starter his first year. That seems about right to me. I think Gabbert will get on the field more, depending on where he goes. I'm not particularly in support of picking any QB at #3 overall, but I suppose I could live with it.

Actually, Newton might be a huge beneficiary of a lockout if the season is canceled. If he's got the dedication he can use the time to fix any issues with mechanics and do all the off field preparation he can so when he can get on the field in training camp 2012 he'll be a lot better prepared to step on the field in a starting role. I think it strongly depends on who drafts him. Will he go to a team that needs him to jump right in and be the guy from day one ala Sam Bradford? or will he end up on a team that already has a guy that isn't great but good enough to hold down the fort until Cam is ready? Both he and Gabbert are in the same boat especially if they are both taken in the first round like many are predicting. JMO

Mike
02-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Shouldn't this (along with the 527 other threads like it) be titles "My opinion on Cam Newton"?

No one sitting where we all are knows what this player can do and none of us have watched the tapes the coaches and scouts watch yet many of us know the "truth".

The truth is apparent. It does not hide in the future somewhere. At this point, most of us know what Newton is and what he is not. Knowing what we know, would you draft him?
As far as the future and his potential, these are unknowns. He may or may not pan out, but we have to base our opinion on the current facts.

X-Era
02-28-2011, 07:29 PM
The truth is apparent. It does not hide in the future somewhere. At this point, most of us know what Newton is and what he is not. Knowing what we know, would you draft him?
As far as the future and his potential, these are unknowns. He may or may not pan out, but we have to base our opinion on the current facts.I'd love to hear what "facts" you have on Cam. Please list them.

Mike
03-01-2011, 02:22 AM
Here is what a number of scouts had to say about him and his workout. Before you jump on my back and say something to the tune that all quarterbacks miss throws, or have bad days, etc... please note that he has been consistent in the areas he lacks -mechanics, accuracy, pro-readiness, reading defenses-. He has also been consistent in his area of strengths -physical prowess, speed, throwing ability-. This was evident during the season and even in the championship game as he missed fired on a few occasions when he had wide open wr which would have lead to tds. It was evident again during his workout.

Here is what the scouts had to say about him, his workout, and how they see him overall:

« Mallett, Locker receive high marks from analysts (http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/02/27/mallett-locker-receives-high-marks-from-analysts/)
Newton’s coach’s take: QB still can improve (http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/02/27/newton-coachs-take-qb-still-can-improve/) »

INDIANAPOLIS — Auburn QB Cam Newton probably didn’t do himself any favors with his NFL Scouting Combine workout that’s drawing mixed reviews. Then again, the consensus seems to be that he didn’t show talent evaluators anything they didn’t already know about his game. Unlock HQ Video (http://www.nfl.com/widgets/videos/downloader?template=basic-html&confirm=true&icampaign=VG_Player_Link_HQ_DL)HQ video delivered by Akamai
Three of our analysts checked in with their takes on what they saw Sunday at Lucas Oil Stadium: NFL Network analyst Charles Davis: “I thought it was a good workout overall. Obviously, the athleticism came to the forefront in drills like the 40 and broad jump. That part was tremendous. While throwing, I thought the ball came out of his hand well. He wasn’t as accurate as the other guys — he missed on some balls and was high on some others — but those aren’t factors that dissuade me from thinking he’s an elite talent, because he is. Newton’s mechanics need refinement, but he has all of the basics, and I think he’s way ahead of the game compared to all of the guys he gets compared to, which I believe is unfair. He’s a guy teams will want to work with.”
NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi: “I think Newton is very raw. Today showed he’s not very comfortable in three- and five-step drops, and there’s a lot of work to be done. He has an immense amount of talent — arm strength, power, size — that he brings to the table, but he’s a project. There are a lot of things for teams to work with and sort through to see if they can handle it all and develop him. His mechanics were inconsistent, but I expected that. I never thought Newton would be able to handle it all because he’s never done it before. It’s all about repetitions for quarterbacks. I’m not saying he can’t do it, but there’s a lot to overcome. A team that takes him isn’t getting a finished product but someone who has to improve and develop.
NFL.com senior analyst Pat Kirwan: “Had Newton worked out yesterday and dealt with all of the cameras today, he would have had a better workout. I didn’t think he was relaxed, and some of the things he did were out of tightness. I would have loved to have seen him take reps before or after (Arkansas QB) Ryan Mallett. I’m going back to watch more tape of Newton, especially his out routes and throws to his right. He had some mechanical issues, including not settling his feet, not transferring his weight correctly and releasing the ball high. He sailed a few balls in a row to his right. These things are correctable, and some he’ll correct himself. Newton was tremendous on the deep throws but was raw in his mechanics. His footwork isn’t as good as Mallett’s, but he’s a tremendous athlete. I don’t think Newton helped himself, but he’s still in the top 15.”
Will Sunday’s workout alone really hurt Newton? It’s doubtful. His talent is unmistakable, but teams know what he isn’t when it comes to the development of his mechanics and passing game.
The bigger question for teams will be their conviction in knowing how hard Newton is willing to work to refine his game. Expect to see Newton work quite a bit from under center as teams scrutinize his footwork and mechanics at his pro day March 8.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/02/27/mixed-reviews-for-newton-after-hyped-workout/?module=HP_cp2

Mike
03-01-2011, 02:27 AM
I'd love to hear what "facts" you have on Cam. Please list them.

I listed them above. The overall consensus on him at this time.

Would you draft him? If so in what round and what would be the highest pick you would spend on him?

Personally, I think there are more pro-ready talents to be had in the first round that have a higher probability of succeeding -however a lower ceiling-. I would not draft him until the end of the first if at all. I would take him in the 2nd.

X-Era
03-01-2011, 05:55 AM

Would you draft him? If so in what round and what would be the highest pick you would spend on him?

Personally, I think there are more pro-ready talents to be had in the first round that have a higher probability of succeeding -however a lower ceiling-. I would not draft him until the end of the first if at all. I would take him in the 2nd.That is the difference I'm trying to point out. What you list are opinions. And they are opinions from a small snapshot of the entire body of work. And as I said in the other post, all of the drops were 3, 5, and 7 which he didn't play in college. In my opinion, it simply showed he needs to develop his footwork in those drops. On the field, he has good accuracy, decent mechanics, and a strong arm. He has a very fluid throwing motion.

Newton will need to be worked with from under center. His best chance is to go to a team that can afford to wait and let him develop. The Bills have that ability.

better days
03-01-2011, 07:09 AM
That is the difference I'm trying to point out. What you list are opinions. And they are opinions from a small snapshot of the entire body of work. And as I said in the other post, all of the drops were 3, 5, and 7 which he didn't play in college. In my opinion, it simply showed he needs to develop his footwork in those drops. On the field, he has good accuracy, decent mechanics, and a strong arm. He has a very fluid throwing motion.

Newton will need to be worked with from under center. His best chance is to go to a team that can afford to wait and let him develop. The Bills have that ability.

I have said before, I was not impressed with his play in either the SEC Championship game or the BCS Championship. I did not see him even attempt anything but short to intermediate passes in both games.

I have also said before the biggest questions for me about Newton is his character, including his work ethic. He was supposed to be working on his game & had the workout for the media to show how far he progressed. The question now is with all this work he has already supposedly done, why he looked so bad at the combine.

I still think his interviews at the combine along with his wonderlic will determine where he is drafted more than the drills done there. The reports are he has not done very well in the interviews. We also have not heard a thing about his wonderlic which is not a good sign. If he had aced it, team Newton would have let the world know about that already.

Mike
03-01-2011, 10:23 AM
<table id="post3423661" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_3423661">That is the difference I'm trying to point out. What you list are opinions. And they are opinions from a small snapshot of the entire body of work. And as I said in the other post, all of the drops were 3, 5, and 7 which he didn't play in college. In my opinion, it simply showed he needs to develop his footwork in those drops. On the field, he has good accuracy, decent mechanics, and a strong arm. He has a very fluid throwing motion.

</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2">
</td> <td class="alt1" align="right">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

What I listed was not a snap shop. The areas he lacks in, he has demonstrated on a number of occasions to lack in. Conversely, the areas of strength, he has demonstrated on a number of occasions that he has mastered that part of the game.

As far as snapshots go, sometimes that is all you really need. This argument was made by one of the years Best Selling Authors in his book called Blink. He goes on to show how it is possible to get a an understanding of the whole picture with just a snapshot or a few of them and there is overwhelming evidence now, that too much information can be a bad thing. The whole book Blink dives into example after example and these cases. In one case it was a Tennis Coach who had the unique ability after 20yrs to be able to call a foul while the player threw the ball in the air! (something that is rare in a game and almost impossible to predict) All he needed was a very small amount of information, a snapshot to come to the absolutely correct conclusion.

Figster
03-01-2011, 10:47 AM
That is the difference I'm trying to point out. What you list are opinions. And they are opinions from a small snapshot of the entire body of work. And as I said in the other post, all of the drops were 3, 5, and 7 which he didn't play in college. In my opinion, it simply showed he needs to develop his footwork in those drops. On the field, he has good accuracy, decent mechanics, and a strong arm. He has a very fluid throwing motion.

What sets Cam Newton apart from other QB's is his ability to wheel himself out of trouble and still be looking down field to make a throw. Its no surprise to me that two of the more mobile QB's in the NFL meet up head to head gunning for a Championship

Jon Gruden drew parallels from Big Ben to Cam Newton on the day of the Superbowl and Gruden just might know a thing or two about Football.

Note: Something you pointed out a while back X-Era which I think was an important observation and something that can't be measured. There comes a point where an athletes athleticism, courage and field vision trumps his wonderlic score. Whats hard for one athlete is much easier for the next because it just comes natural to him. Its the reason Jim Kelly and Dan Marino can score low on wonderlic yet go on to become football legends.

DraftBoy
03-01-2011, 11:09 AM

Did you just admit to barely seeing Newton play and then offer your full analysis on him?

Bill Cody
03-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Personally, I think there are more pro-ready talents to be had in the first round that have a higher probability of succeeding -however a lower ceiling-. I would not draft him until the end of the first if at all. I would take him in the 2nd.

You analysis is not realistic at all. Even the scouts you quote agree he's an elite talent and he will get picked top 15 so this drop to the 2nd round stuff is crap. The combine did not change that. He is a project. Everyone knows that and has known that. So what? We wouldn't be drafting him to bring us to the promised land next year. The issues with mechanics and footwork can be fixed. Look at what Andy Reid did with Mike Vick last year. Vick had an awful drop back and didn't set his feet well after almost a decade in the league. Reid got him to work and he was 2nd in the MVP race last season. That's the kind of talent we're talking about with Cam Newton.

The issues with Newton haven't changed and they are only 2. How hard will he work? I liked his answer in his talk to the press about paying homage to Peyton Manning and Tom Brady for their preparation. Canned speech or not that was nice to hear. But the big one that remains is how smart is he? If this kid has brains and work ethic he is going to be a dominate player even if it takes a few years. He's already put the ridiculous comparison to Demarcus Russell to rest by showing up at the combine in terrific shape. Russell came to the combine 20 pounds overweight which was a HUGE red flag that Oakland chose to ignore. One more time- SHOW ME THE WONDERLIC. If he's a potted plant we move on, nothing to see here. The negatives on Newton are yellow flags, lack of gray cells is a fire engine red one.

My ideal scenario is the kid sells his brains and work ethic to Gailey (assuming he has them) but they still have the cajones to move down a bit and take him. But it's not realistic to move outside the top ten and feel confident he'll be there. If Patrick Peterson is on the board at 3 a team like Dallas might be willing to pay to move up from 9. That's what I'm talking about.

Mike
03-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Did you just admit to barely seeing Newton play and then offer your full analysis on him?

Yup. Sometimes, that is all you need, a snapshot. He is an amazing talent, and I hope that he pans out, because watching a guy like that would be a lot of fun for years to come; however, I see him being a more athletic version of VY. I don't see MV, I see VY. Now, before I am further attacked for my sentiments, note that I am entitled to my own option no matter how many times I saw him drop back. And, this is a discussion board, so its definitely the right place to share such an opinion. Now I am asking your opinions.

Do you think he pans out? Does he overcome his weaknesses, at what spot would you draft him?

Mike
03-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Lastly, I think Mallet & Locker may turn out to be better pros than Gabbert & Newton. Now that is going out on a limb!

I would rather draft one of those guys in the 2nd, they will be way better value at the spot, be much cheaper, and I think may end up being the better pros.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Newton-Era
Ponder-Era
Gabbert-Era
Kaepernick_Era

which sounds better?
this is how the bills should make the QB decision just so X-era can finally find a home :)

X-Era
03-02-2011, 05:54 AM
Newton-Era
Ponder-Era
Gabbert-Era
Kaepernick_Era

which sounds better?
this is how the bills should make the QB decision just so X-era can finally find a home :)I'll take Gabbert-Era but only after he leads us to the SB.

Although Newton-Era reminds me of the Bills discovering something of huge importance, like gravity.

Ponder-Era? Id rather go with Ponder-Osa.

And Kaepernick-Era is just a mess. It may take me 10 years to be able to pronounce that.