PDA

View Full Version : Who will you blame if the Sabres do not trade Tim Connolly before the deadline?

Ebenezer
02-27-2011, 05:02 PM
There is a blog out there stating that the Sabres will not move TC at the deadline. Who will you blame if they don't trade him? Who will you blame if they don't trade him and Darcy keeps his job?

tampabay25690
02-27-2011, 05:10 PM
I won't blame anyone right now...
Lets wait and see tomorrow.....
Maybe we are trying to trade him and no takers...

I do know that clubs know that the SABRES can spend $$$$ now....
The problem is do you want to give up the future of this team when we all know this team is not winning the Cup this year??????

Because thats what teams want from the Sabres..........

Beebe's Kid
02-27-2011, 07:15 PM
I'll blame you for jinxing it...that and the fact that I probably wouldn't have had to blame anybody. I may, without being reminded that somebody needed to be blamed, even think that finding a team to take him was the problem.

There must be blame! We won't stand for this! Pegula has had the keys to the kingdom for almost a week! If he doesn't make a move, we need to get a new owner! One who shows he is serious about winning, not just says it! Talk is cheap!

THATHURMANATOR
02-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Why is there blame? They don't have to trade him if they don't want to.

I hate Connolly as much as the next guy but if we trade him it will be for a mid round pick with nothing in return. We have no centers as it is......

don137
02-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Unless they trade for a center they almost have to keep him. I am not saying Connolly is worth keeping and a great center but who would be the #1 center if they do not pick up another center and trade Connolly? Hecht or Gaustad?

Ebenezer
02-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Unless they trade for a center they almost have to keep him. I am not saying Connolly is worth keeping and a great center but who would be the #1 center if they do not pick up another center and trade Connolly? Hecht or Gaustad?
Or worse...Nieds??

YardRat
02-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Ralph Wilson.

Dr. Lecter
02-27-2011, 09:45 PM
George W Bush and/or Obama.

JD
02-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Pegula.

He seems REALLY soft on players. He cares about their "feelings"..

SkateZilla
02-27-2011, 10:08 PM
I Blamed "TIM CONNOLY" He's utter garbage and he labeled himself that this year, no one will trade anything for him or his contract, no one will want him for 990K let alone a few million. you will not beable to give him away because he's that bad, no one wants him, even for free.

A. T. Pegula hasnt been owner for more than a week.
B. Same With T. Black
C. I wanna blame Darcy, But you cant make an offer to people when the product your trading for is garbage.
D. Cant blame a coach for a player not being marketable.

Here's what we should do, Pegula says he's not in this to make money, so. spend some to get rid of players, Buy timmy out and get him the hell off the roster.

Ebenezer
02-27-2011, 10:11 PM
I Blamed "TIM CONNOLY" He's utter garbage and he labeled himself that this year, no one will trade anything for him or his contract, no one will want him for 990K let alone a few million. you will not beable to give him away because he's that bad, no one wants him, even for free.

A. T. Pegula hasnt been owner for more than a week.
B. Same With T. Black
C. I wanna blame Darcy, But you cant make an offer to people when the product your trading for is garbage.
D. Cant blame a coach for a player not being marketable.

Here's what we should do, Pegula says he's not in this to make money, so. spend some to get rid of players, Buy timmy out and get him the hell off the roster.
you have to pay him $4.5 mil if he is on the roster or $4.5 mil if he is off...that is why they have kept him. They had to feel if they were going to pay him he was going to play.

CuseJetsFan83
02-27-2011, 11:50 PM
https://si1.twimg.com/profile_images/93513318/IMG_9702_normal.jpg (https://twitter.com/#%21/Aportzline) @Aportzline (https://twitter.com/#%21/Aportzline) Aaron Portzline

Told Buffalo is not interested in trading C Tim Connolly, that new ownership group wants to add and make a run at playoffs.

*that tweet was from saturday*

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 07:16 AM
I'd blame his contract and Connolly for living up to it.

In a perfect world, we'd trade him, but it's unlikely we'd find another team willing to take the hit.

Now, if we re-sign him, then I'll blame Pegula and Reiger. It will mean Reiger was part of the problem all along and Pegula is no better than Golisano.

rbochan
02-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Larry Quinn.

PTI
02-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Why trade Connolly? I just don't get it. Center is the weakest position we have and he is the top guy we have.

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Why trade Connolly? I just don't get it. Center is the weakest position we have and he is the top guy we have.

because
a) he's terrible
b) we're not going to re-sign him, so if we can trade him now, we get something in return. Otherwise, he walks for nothing in July.
c) it's trade deadline day, which means better centers are available. There's a difference between being the "top guy we have" and being "good enough." If trade deadline day comes and goes and Connolly is still the best center on this team, then this season is a lost cause.

Your entire mentality is exactly why the Bills and Sabres have sucked lately: loyalty to guys who can't get the job done and an inability to upgrade positions when an upgrade is necessary.

THATHURMANATOR
02-28-2011, 10:16 AM
I'd blame his contract and Connolly for living up to it.

In a perfect world, we'd trade him, but it's unlikely we'd find another team willing to take the hit.

Now, if we re-sign him, then I'll blame Pegula and Reiger. It will mean Reiger was part of the problem all along and Pegula is no better than Golisano.
What if he is resigned for a million a year?

THATHURMANATOR
02-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Unless we trade him to free up cash to bring in a better center.

Ebenezer
02-28-2011, 10:18 AM

After all these years it's best to let him go.

trapezeus
02-28-2011, 10:19 AM
connolly at $1MM? Nope. He is a loser, who is totally unproductive when you need him the most. you could have concluded 3 years ago (like most of us had) that he is a waste.

We have young talent in adam to take over. let him start. The name Tim connolly will never be inscribed onto the stanley cup. NEVER!

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 10:21 AM

I'm with Eb.

If he re-signed for only a million a year, I'd be a little more forgiving, but things need to change if we are ever going to win a Cup. Keeping Connolly around is status quo, and we all know damn well that the status quo doesn't work.

SABURZFAN
02-28-2011, 04:17 PM
you can't blame anybody if they can't find a trading partner.

chernobylwraiths
02-28-2011, 04:19 PM

another Darcy licker

qcsabresfan84
02-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Obviously...................Michael Peca
Nothing against one of my favorite former captains (that list has gotten long recently btw), but lets just for fun assume that we don't blame mgmt for the contract dispute. If Peca doesn't hold out then we don't trade him for Connolly (and Pyatt). Seems fair to blame him.

Nighthawk
02-28-2011, 09:40 PM

Sabz, that is just another built in excuse for Regier and it drives me nuts. The problem with this organization for years has been no accountability and many on here are suddenly OK with it. I just don't get it.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-01-2011, 04:20 AM
I blame myself. Derek Roy getting hurt didn't help either.

Jan Reimers
03-01-2011, 06:47 AM
It makes no sense to trade Connolly just because the fans don't like him. As Marv used to say, if you start listening to the fans, you'll be sitting with them.

If you can't get value in return, it is pointless to trade one of the few decent centers on this team.

OpIv37
03-01-2011, 10:48 AM
It makes no sense to trade Connolly just because the fans don't like him. As Marv used to say, if you start listening to the fans, you'll be sitting with them.

If you can't get value in return, it is pointless to trade one of the few decent centers on this team.

Decent? Please.

The difference between having Connolly and not having Connolly is that he MIGHT help us sneak into the playoffs and get eliminated in the first round. And that's not even guaranteed- this team still has a lot of work to do to even make the playoffs. It's essentially the possibility of turning a below average season into a mediocre one.

And his contract is up, so we're getting ZERO value for him at the end of the season. Is that worth the possibility of turning a below average season into a mediocre one? They could have traded him for a bag of potato chips- it would be one more bag of potato chips then what we'll have when he walks for nothing on July 1.

chernobylwraiths
03-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Fact is, Connolly is the teams most offensively talented center. That is how sad the center position is on this team. If the Sabres had traded Connolly, they NEEDED to get a center somehow as well.

I also don't agree with the "nobody wants our crap" argument. There is always some team willing to give someone with talent a chance. And Connolly could use a change of scenery from a place where he is not liked by the fan base. That can't be good for his game. And, even I know that just because fans don't like him and think he's crap, it doesn't mean that he is.

I blame Darcy.

OpIv37
03-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Just for the record on the fan base thing: The fans gave Connolly a chance. We couldn't wait for him to get back from his injury, then he got injured again, then he came back and played well enough to get a contract, then he's been mediocre since then.

All the injuries then the appearance that he was playing for a contract is what has the fans upset.

I just want to make it clear that the fans gave this guy a fair shot. It's not like they're pissed at him for one sub-par season. It took a long time to get to this point.

Ebenezer
03-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Just for the record on the fan base thing: The fans gave Connolly a chance. We couldn't wait for him to get back from his injury, then he got injured again, then he came back and played well enough to get a contract, then he's been mediocre since then.

All the injuries then the appearance that he was playing for a contract is what has the fans upset.

I just want to make it clear that the fans gave this guy a fair shot. It's not like they're pissed at him for one sub-par season. It took a long time to get to this point.

You are also acting like there are fans that want him here. I haven't seen that at all. I didn't want him four years ago. However, I can see the reasons why he can't be moved. Should he never have been signed to the deal? Absolutely. But what does cutting him do now other than appease the fans? Even you said he might help them sneak into the playoffs. Isn't that better than not making the playoffs? It is in my book.

Dozerdog
03-01-2011, 12:54 PM
I voted other. Who wants him? A $4 million porcelean doll

OpIv37
03-01-2011, 12:57 PM
You are also acting like there are fans that want him here. I haven't seen that at all. I didn't want him four years ago. However, I can see the reasons why he can't be moved. Should he never have been signed to the deal? Absolutely. But what does cutting him do now other than appease the fans? Even you said he might help them sneak into the playoffs. Isn't that better than not making the playoffs? It is in my book.

In an ideal world, they would have traded him, but his contract just made that too difficult.

At this point, cutting him does nothing. The only possible benefit would be getting someone like Luke Adam or Paul Byron extra playing time, but I think our small playoff chances are better with Connolly than with those guys (in the short term- in the long term I want Connolly gone even if it means bringing those two up as soon as next season starts).

Ebenezer
03-01-2011, 01:00 PM
In an ideal world, they would have traded him, but his contract just made that too difficult.

At this point, cutting him does nothing. The only possible benefit would be getting someone like Luke Adam or Paul Byron extra playing time, but I think our small playoff chances are better with Connolly than with those guys (in the short term- in the long term I want Connolly gone even if it means bringing those two up as soon as next season starts).

Find me anybody that disagrees with that.