• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

when can i hit the panic button

trade deadline is at 3pm. Connolly still here.

I know 11am is still very early to be upset, but when is the right time to go crazy?

thoughts?
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: when can i hit the panic button

he's going to be hard to unload with his contract.

The time to panic is if we re-sign him.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

i honestly would be happy with getting boyes and not having connolly.

I'm not asking for anything more. I swear.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
        • Nov 2009

Connolly is gone at the end of the year. I understand that people don't like him, but if you have Connolly or a 6th round pick for the playoff run, I will take Connolly.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

Why would you panic if he isn't traded?

We aren't going to get more than a mid round pick for him. How would that help us make the playoffs?

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
            Why would you panic if he isn't traded?

We aren't going to get more than a mid round pick for him. How would that help us make the playoffs?
            it won't, but having Connolly won't help us make the playoffs either.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
              it won't, but having Connolly won't help us make the playoffs either.
              Oh I don't know about that. He is a huge dissapointment for sure but not completely hurting the team either.

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

well having a center who hasn't scored in a playoff game since game 1 in Ottawa in 2006 isn't really an asset.

Also a center who gets broken anytime the physicality ramps up won't help in the playoffs.

Sabres need to be clear. It's either a 3 year plan or it's the playoffs this year. Keeping connolly is a conflict with 3 year plan. I'd take a 6th round pick. Trading connolly doesn't necessarily mean we won't make the playoffs. I think luke adam can get the job done.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
                  well having a center who hasn't scored in a playoff game since game 1 in Ottawa in 2006 isn't really an asset.

Also a center who gets broken anytime the physicality ramps up won't help in the playoffs.

Sabres need to be clear. It's either a 3 year plan or it's the playoffs this year. Keeping connolly is a conflict with 3 year plan. I'd take a 6th round pick. Trading connolly doesn't necessarily mean we won't make the playoffs. I think luke adam can get the job done.
                  IMO Niedermeyer is more of a problem.

I would rather have him gone with Adam up to anchor that Checking line and keep Connolly as is.

I would also love to dump Connolly if we were able to turn it around for a player this year. Giving up on this year being 2 points out with 2 games in hand would be a chump move.

Comment

• bf1
                    • Oct 2010

RELAX!

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

Is a 6th round pick really that important to the 3-year plan? It seems to me that it's possible to have it both ways - playoffs this year in addition to building for the next 3 years.

Though I haven't followed hockey much, I do read these boards decently often (with football over, especially), and most people seem to consider the draft a crapshoot with hockey. I can't imagine the late picks are that important.
                      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

they are if you have a lot of them. you can package them and move for other players.

my sense is the sabres are trying to get another center. once they can agree to that, they'll part with connolly in a heart beat. but if they can't get the center they want, they'll ride with connolly.

Personally, i don't see this team much more than a 7-8 seed at best with the hopes of going 7 games in the first round. They won't get out unless miller stands on his head and they are met with a random high goal scoring output that occassionally happens to them every month to 6 weeks.

The real chump move, imo, is letting connolly go and not getting anything out of our 10 year useless relationship with him.

and by the way, miller was a 5th round pick, so players are found at every level.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

they are if you have a lot of them. you can package them and move for other players.

my sense is the sabres are trying to get another center. once they can agree to that, they'll part with connolly in a heart beat. but if they can't get the center they want, they'll ride with connolly.

Personally, i don't see this team much more than a 7-8 seed at best with the hopes of going 7 games in the first round. They won't get out unless miller stands on his head and they are met with a random high goal scoring output that occassionally happens to them every month to 6 weeks.

The real chump move, imo, is letting connolly go and not getting anything out of our 10 year useless relationship with him.

and by the way, miller was a 5th round pick, so players are found at every level.
                          Why would we need to get anything for him? Why is that a must?

Didn't Philly go to the finals last year from the 8th seed? Didn't Boston beat us?

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

yes, those things happen alot in hockey. But usually that requires a gritty team that has the strength and make-up to out work better teams. The sabres currently aren't that team. They fold continuously when the stakes are raised. Even in the game against the redwings, they folded.

This team will not get past the first round without some major upgrades at key spots. Some of the upgrades, requiring replacing weak and ineffectual players. Connolly is that guy. how many blind backhand passes that lead to short handed goals do you need from this guy.

Get SOMETHING so that you have an extra pick to package if need be. Do not sit there and tell sabres fans that "it'll be ok, we are going to make a run."

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

yes, those things happen alot in hockey. But usually that requires a gritty team that has the strength and make-up to out work better teams. The sabres currently aren't that team. They fold continuously when the stakes are raised. Even in the game against the redwings, they folded.

This team will not get past the first round without some major upgrades at key spots. Some of the upgrades, requiring replacing weak and ineffectual players. Connolly is that guy. how many blind backhand passes that lead to short handed goals do you need from this guy.

Get SOMETHING so that you have an extra pick to package if need be. Do not sit there and tell sabres fans that "it'll be ok, we are going to make a run."
                              It is ok to keep Connolly. Won't be the end of the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X