PDA

View Full Version : when can i hit the panic button

trapezeus
02-28-2011, 10:06 AM
trade deadline is at 3pm. Connolly still here.

I know 11am is still very early to be upset, but when is the right time to go crazy?

thoughts?

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 10:08 AM
he's going to be hard to unload with his contract.

The time to panic is if we re-sign him.

trapezeus
02-28-2011, 10:17 AM
i honestly would be happy with getting boyes and not having connolly.

I'm not asking for anything more. I swear.

Beebe's Kid
02-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Connolly is gone at the end of the year. I understand that people don't like him, but if you have Connolly or a 6th round pick for the playoff run, I will take Connolly.

THATHURMANATOR
02-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Why would you panic if he isn't traded?

We aren't going to get more than a mid round pick for him. How would that help us make the playoffs?

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Why would you panic if he isn't traded?

We aren't going to get more than a mid round pick for him. How would that help us make the playoffs?

it won't, but having Connolly won't help us make the playoffs either.

THATHURMANATOR
02-28-2011, 10:39 AM
it won't, but having Connolly won't help us make the playoffs either.
Oh I don't know about that. He is a huge dissapointment for sure but not completely hurting the team either.

trapezeus
02-28-2011, 10:47 AM
well having a center who hasn't scored in a playoff game since game 1 in Ottawa in 2006 isn't really an asset.

Also a center who gets broken anytime the physicality ramps up won't help in the playoffs.

Sabres need to be clear. It's either a 3 year plan or it's the playoffs this year. Keeping connolly is a conflict with 3 year plan. I'd take a 6th round pick. Trading connolly doesn't necessarily mean we won't make the playoffs. I think luke adam can get the job done.

THATHURMANATOR
02-28-2011, 10:54 AM
well having a center who hasn't scored in a playoff game since game 1 in Ottawa in 2006 isn't really an asset.

Also a center who gets broken anytime the physicality ramps up won't help in the playoffs.

Sabres need to be clear. It's either a 3 year plan or it's the playoffs this year. Keeping connolly is a conflict with 3 year plan. I'd take a 6th round pick. Trading connolly doesn't necessarily mean we won't make the playoffs. I think luke adam can get the job done.
IMO Niedermeyer is more of a problem.

I would rather have him gone with Adam up to anchor that Checking line and keep Connolly as is.

I would also love to dump Connolly if we were able to turn it around for a player this year. Giving up on this year being 2 points out with 2 games in hand would be a chump move.

bf1
02-28-2011, 10:56 AM
RELAX!

psubills62
02-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Is a 6th round pick really that important to the 3-year plan? It seems to me that it's possible to have it both ways - playoffs this year in addition to building for the next 3 years.

Though I haven't followed hockey much, I do read these boards decently often (with football over, especially), and most people seem to consider the draft a crapshoot with hockey. I can't imagine the late picks are that important.

trapezeus
02-28-2011, 11:23 AM
they are if you have a lot of them. you can package them and move for other players.

my sense is the sabres are trying to get another center. once they can agree to that, they'll part with connolly in a heart beat. but if they can't get the center they want, they'll ride with connolly.

Personally, i don't see this team much more than a 7-8 seed at best with the hopes of going 7 games in the first round. They won't get out unless miller stands on his head and they are met with a random high goal scoring output that occassionally happens to them every month to 6 weeks.

The real chump move, imo, is letting connolly go and not getting anything out of our 10 year useless relationship with him.

and by the way, miller was a 5th round pick, so players are found at every level.

THATHURMANATOR
02-28-2011, 11:28 AM
they are if you have a lot of them. you can package them and move for other players.

my sense is the sabres are trying to get another center. once they can agree to that, they'll part with connolly in a heart beat. but if they can't get the center they want, they'll ride with connolly.

Personally, i don't see this team much more than a 7-8 seed at best with the hopes of going 7 games in the first round. They won't get out unless miller stands on his head and they are met with a random high goal scoring output that occassionally happens to them every month to 6 weeks.

The real chump move, imo, is letting connolly go and not getting anything out of our 10 year useless relationship with him.

and by the way, miller was a 5th round pick, so players are found at every level.
Why would we need to get anything for him? Why is that a must?

Didn't Philly go to the finals last year from the 8th seed? Didn't Boston beat us?

trapezeus
02-28-2011, 11:33 AM
yes, those things happen alot in hockey. But usually that requires a gritty team that has the strength and make-up to out work better teams. The sabres currently aren't that team. They fold continuously when the stakes are raised. Even in the game against the redwings, they folded.

This team will not get past the first round without some major upgrades at key spots. Some of the upgrades, requiring replacing weak and ineffectual players. Connolly is that guy. how many blind backhand passes that lead to short handed goals do you need from this guy.

Get SOMETHING so that you have an extra pick to package if need be. Do not sit there and tell sabres fans that "it'll be ok, we are going to make a run."

THATHURMANATOR
02-28-2011, 11:36 AM
yes, those things happen alot in hockey. But usually that requires a gritty team that has the strength and make-up to out work better teams. The sabres currently aren't that team. They fold continuously when the stakes are raised. Even in the game against the redwings, they folded.

This team will not get past the first round without some major upgrades at key spots. Some of the upgrades, requiring replacing weak and ineffectual players. Connolly is that guy. how many blind backhand passes that lead to short handed goals do you need from this guy.

Get SOMETHING so that you have an extra pick to package if need be. Do not sit there and tell sabres fans that "it'll be ok, we are going to make a run."
It is ok to keep Connolly. Won't be the end of the world.

trapezeus
02-28-2011, 11:41 AM
it will be.

Dr. Lecter
02-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Panicking over Timmy still being here for another few months would be silly and the typical Buffalo sports fan overreaction, unless you want Hecht to be the#1 center on the team and Gaustad to be #2

THATHURMANATOR
Nope...

THATHURMANATOR
Panicking over Timmy still being here for another few months would be silly and the typical Buffalo sports fan overreaction, unless you want Hecht to be the#1 center on the team and Gaustad to be #2
and Niedermeyer 3?

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 11:45 AM
It is ok to keep Connolly. Won't be the end of the world.

End of the world? No.

End of the season? Quite possibly.

THATHURMANATOR
02-28-2011, 11:46 AM
End of the world? No.

End of the season? Quite possibly.
agreed.

How so?

Dude
RELAX!DON'T DO IT!

trapezeus
is there really a difference? i'd rather ride with a young kid who has something to prove than a guy who plays like he doesn't really care.

I literally see fat guys in our adult rec league skate with more interest than connolly.

THATHURMANATOR
02-28-2011, 11:55 AM
DON'T DO IT!
WHEN YOU WANNA CUMMMMMMM!!!!!

THATHURMANATOR
02-28-2011, 11:56 AM
is there really a difference? i'd rather ride with a young kid who has something to prove than a guy who plays like he doesn't really care.

I literally see fat guys in our adult rec league skate with more interest than connolly.
Dont you dare get literal with me young man!!!!

CuseJetsFan83
02-28-2011, 12:15 PM
BNHarrington (http://twitter.com/#%21/BNHarrington) Mike Harrington by MichaelThomas82

#Sabres (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23Sabres) practicing power play hard. Connolly keeps giving the puck away at the left point. Just sayin'

Beebe's Kid
02-28-2011, 12:41 PM

Wait a minute....where's Op? Isn't this using the exception to prove the rule?

Trap...you need to come down from the tower. There is no way that having Connolly is a disadvantage to us moving towards the playoffs. The guy is not that bad.

SkateZilla
02-28-2011, 12:47 PM
We already pressed the "SELL" Button. The Drawer containing the panic button has been closed for now.

trapezeus
02-28-2011, 01:42 PM
so back to my original question...can i hit the button now? no more moves? really?

i always forget, is there like an hour after 3 where news trickles in and then its over, or if nothing happens at 3 it means nothing happened?

DrGraves
02-28-2011, 01:42 PM
panic mode!

Dr. Lecter
02-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Why panic at all?

I don't get it.

Why make all the moves now? This year is a wash. The moves to be made are in the offseason.

Fans want instant gratification. They are not winning it all this year.

Ebenezer
02-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Why panic at all?

I don't get it.

Why make all the moves now? This year is a wash. The moves to be made are in the offseason.

...and fans want other teams to take players that the fans have termed garbage and give us back something good in return. If a fan considers Tim Connolly as garbage what do you think an NHL GM considers Tim Connolly? Why would a GM give the Sabres anything and take on his $4.5 mil salary? How many teams even have that kind of cap room?

trapezeus
02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
it's a little from column a and a little from column B.

I know we have no shot at being cup contenders, but a small part of me knows that every year there is 1 team that has no business getting as far as it does. I'll cling to that hope if there is new blood on the team. they might squeak by.

But at the same time, i know this team needs to be a lot different to be a cup winner, so if you can move some UFA for picks and get the salary off, you'll get a good look at young kids.

And that 05-06 team was all about youth proving themselves with 1 or 2 veterans to keep them honest.

trapezeus
02-28-2011, 01:55 PM
darcy to have a press conference at 3pm. How ***** lame. they are done.

This guy literally did one trade late last night, slept in today, and will parade out the usual list of excuses (of which, some don't apply because the economy for Buffalo Sabre Hockey changed on February 22)

Dr. Lecter
02-28-2011, 01:58 PM
darcy to have a press conference at 3pm. How ***** lame. they are done.

This guy literally did one trade late last night, slept in today, and will parade out the usual list of excuses (of which, some don't apply because the economy for Buffalo Sabre Hockey changed on February 22)
There were almost no trades today league wide.

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Why panic at all?

I don't get it.

I'm going to bump my other thread in a minute once I get confirmation that there were no last minute trades, but this was Pegula's first chance to prove that things would be different.

What happened? He didn't commit. We weren't buyers or sellers. We made one token move that didn't result in any of the "core" guys being dealt. That's exactly what we've done for the last 4 years with absolutely no results to show from it.

Fans don't want instant gratification. Fans wanted some sign that things have changed, and we didn't get it.

trapezeus
02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
there was movement. getting underperforming players off the team should have been job one and accepting peanuts would have been fine.

JD
02-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Darcy fail.

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 02:06 PM
There were almost no trades today league wide.

Seriously, Doc, I agree with you on a lot of things, but I really despise excuses like this. It's basically the "everyone else was just as bad" logic. Forget what everyone else does- I'm only interested in what's right for the Sabres.

But what I saw was a team unwilling to spend the resources to bring in more talent while also being unwilling to break up the unsuccessful status quo. We were fence-sitters, again.

Dr. Lecter
02-28-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm going to bump my other thread in a minute once I get confirmation that there were no last minute trades, but this was Pegula's first chance to prove that things would be different.

What happened? He didn't commit. We weren't buyers or sellers. We made one token move that didn't result in any of the "core" guys being dealt. That's exactly what we've done for the last 4 years with absolutely no results to show from it.

Fans don't want instant gratification. Fans wanted some sign that things have changed, and we didn't get it.
The trade deadline is not the time to show things have changed.

It is about instant gratification. People want him to make changes a week into his reign as owner. That is instant.

The time to see if things have changed is in the offseason at the draft and FA.

With the lack of action in the NHL today, it sounds like things were quiet all around the league.

JD
02-28-2011, 02:10 PM

It is about instant gratification. People want him to make changes a week into his reign as owner. That is instant.

With the lack of action in the NHL today, it sounds like things were quiet all around the league.

Things were quiet around the league today because teams made moves early on. There are no excuses, I'm pissed off. You have an opportune time to show fans you are NOT ****ing around with this new ownership in town and you miss the boat, almost completely.

Dr. Lecter
02-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Things were quiet around the league today because teams made moves early on. There are no excuses, I'm pissed off. You have an opportune time to show fans you are NOT ****ing around with this new ownership in town and you miss the boat, almost completely.
Good be pissed off.

This team getting better for the longterm was not going to happen today and today only.

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 02:11 PM

People wanted him to deal with trade deadline day differently than we had in the past. That's really not an unreasonable thing to ask: stop doing what didn't work in the past.

But as usual, it's too much to ask for Buffalo.

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Good be pissed off.

This team getting better for the longterm was not going to happen today and today only.

But it has to start at some point, and we failed to get a start on it today.

Ebenezer
02-28-2011, 02:13 PM
So, who should the Sabres traded for? You have to have a trade partner...this is not Madden. It's ok to complain but who were they going to get and what garbage off this roster would a NHL GM take?

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 02:20 PM
So, who should the Sabres traded for? You have to have a trade partner...this is not Madden. It's ok to complain but who were they going to get and what garbage off this roster would a NHL GM take?

Caps found a way to get Wideman (and rumor has it that they got Arnott right at the deadline but no confirmation from TSN yet). Kings found a way to get Penner.

I'm not necessarily saying we should have gone after these particular guys, but this "well who were we supposed to trade with?" nonsense is really getting old. The good GM's find a way to get it done, but we just make excuses like "there were no trading partners" while our opponents improve.

Ebenezer
02-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Caps found a way to get Wideman (and rumor has it that they got Arnott right at the deadline but no confirmation from TSN yet). Kings found a way to get Penner.

I'm not necessarily saying we should have gone after these particular guys, but this "well who were we supposed to trade with?" nonsense is really getting old. The good GM's find a way to get it done, but we just make excuses like "there were no trading partners" while our opponents improve.

Penner I'll give you...now, did they want what Buffalo was offering? Is there still bad blood over the Vanek deal. Arnott and Wideman? meh.

Ebenezer
02-28-2011, 02:24 PM
The good GM's find a way to get it done, but we just make excuses like "there were no trading partners" while our opponents improve.

And that was Lecter's point...players didn't move. Good and bad NHL GMs couldn't make trades happen.

Johnny Bugmenot
02-28-2011, 02:26 PM
This team getting better for the longterm was not going to happen today and today only. Then when does it get better? When does Pegula make his mark on this team? Or do we still have the same status quo that Regier (a.k.a. Quinn's puppet) has pulled every year? Remember, Pegula gave this man an explicit vote of confidence when he came in, and yet nothing's changed. Why should we have ANY confidence that this billionaire fanboy is any less clueless about how a hockey team is run than the last real estate hack that was running the team?

Ebenezer
02-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Then when does it get better? When does Pegula make his mark on this team? Or do we still have the same status quo that Regier (a.k.a. Quinn's puppet) has pulled every year? Remember, Pegula gave this man an explicit vote of confidence when he came in, and yet nothing's changed. Why should we have ANY confidence that this billionaire fanboy is any less clueless about how a hockey team is run than the last real estate hack that was running the team?

IMO, the proof comes on draft day and the first week of July. If the Sabres simply pick their draft choices and don't try to move around or trade picks for players and then don't sign a UFA or try to sign an RFA then I'll be upset.

psubills62
02-28-2011, 03:00 PM
I don't think you can qualify a team as fence-sitters when all but one or two teams could then qualify as fence-sitters. I'm pretty sure the trade deadline thread last year was about 6-7 pages long, filled with trades. This year, it's 2 pages with a few trades here and there.

Patience doesn't ever seem to be a strong suit for fans, I guess.

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't think you can qualify a team as fence-sitters when all but one or two teams could then qualify as fence-sitters. I'm pretty sure the trade deadline thread last year was about 6-7 pages long, filled with trades. This year, it's 2 pages with a few trades here and there.

Patience doesn't ever seem to be a strong suit for fans, I guess.

just how much patience are we supposed to have?

4 years ago, we were coming off back-to-back conference finals appearances.

Then the 3 stooges decided to break down the team, using the "well we weren't good enough to win the Cup so we have to re-tool."

So then we suffer through 2 seasons of missing the playoffs, one season of a first round playoff loss and another season where we are on the cusp of not making the playoffs yet again.

4 years, no improvement.

Look, no one thought we were going to trade Chris Butler for Alex Ovechkin and go on to Stanley Cup glory. We just wanted to see the team either commit to winning and make a big trade to add a key player, or commit to rebuilding and give guys away like Ottawa did. Instead, we did the same thing we did for the last 4 years: make one mediocre move that doesn't mess with the nucleus of the team.

4 years of doing the same thing with no results to show for it, and you're accusing the fans of lacking patience? Please.

psubills62
02-28-2011, 03:32 PM
just how much patience are we supposed to have?

4 years ago, we were coming off back-to-back conference finals appearances.

Then the 3 stooges decided to break down the team, using the "well we weren't good enough to win the Cup so we have to re-tool."

So then we suffer through 2 seasons of missing the playoffs, one season of a first round playoff loss and another season where we are on the cusp of not making the playoffs yet again.

4 years, no improvement.

Look, no one thought we were going to trade Chris Butler for Alex Ovechkin and go on to Stanley Cup glory. We just wanted to see the team either commit to winning and make a big trade to add a key player, or commit to rebuilding and give guys away like Ottawa did. Instead, we did the same thing we did for the last 4 years: make one mediocre move that doesn't mess with the nucleus of the team.

4 years of doing the same thing with no results to show for it, and you're accusing the fans of lacking patience? Please.

It's been how many days of new ownership? But he's already failed, huh?

As other people said - you need trading partners. There were a lot fewer trades this year than last year, which means everyone struggled to get things done, not just Buffalo.

I don't expect people to be happy with how the trading went. But people want to crucify Pegula and say he's no different than Golisano after what...a week of ownership?

THATHURMANATOR
02-28-2011, 03:43 PM

And we got Boyes. Can't say that Boyes is much worse than Penner and we gave up a hell of a lot less.

tampabay25690
02-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Why are some of you so angry....
The Sabres got rid of nothing.....
Thsi year is not the year we are winning the cup...
Why give away the future........
Next year Ennis, Gerbe, Stafford will be much better...
I will say this team is good for the future........

There will be moves done for next year mark my words.............
Everyone relax

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 04:11 PM
It's been how many days of new ownership? But he's already failed, huh?

As other people said - you need trading partners. There were a lot fewer trades this year than last year, which means everyone struggled to get things done, not just Buffalo.

I don't expect people to be happy with how the trading went. But people want to crucify Pegula and say he's no different than Golisano after what...a week of ownership?

He's had one opportunity to show that he was different from previous ownership. And in that opportunity, he failed. We have one piece of evidence to show he's the same and nothing but talk to show he's different. Maybe it's too soon to tell, but you can't blame people for being concerned.

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 04:13 PM

You answered your own question. This team is crap and we didn't unload any of it.

Thsi year is not the year we are winning the cup...
Why give away the future........
Next year Ennis, Gerbe, Stafford will be much better...

People said that about Ennis this year too. People have been saying that about Stafford for 4 years now.

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 04:15 PM
And we got Boyes. Can't say that Boyes is much worse than Penner and we gave up a hell of a lot less.

I don't see the point in the Boyes trade as our only move. He may help, but he's not enough of an improvement to spur a deep playoff run or make us true Cup contenders.

mikemac2001
02-28-2011, 04:17 PM
I don't see the point in the Boyes trade as our only move. He may help, but he's not enough of an improvement to spur a deep playoff run or make us true Cup contenders.

the reason we lose so many games is because they can't score

if he brings some life to the scoreboard then who knows

Beebe's Kid
02-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Sully is looking for callers to WGR that don't like Connolly on the team...

After further listening, I think that Sully is Trap, or Trap is Sully...

Ebenezer
02-28-2011, 04:20 PM
You answered your own question. This team is crap and we didn't unload any of it.

You don't seem to get it. If the fans on a football message board think the team is full of crappy players then what does a real NHL GM think of those same players? Why would any of them ever trade for our pieces of crap and what would you think they would give you back in return? This is not Madden. Under your scenario the NHL is full of GMs are idiots who would gladly take our crap and give us back roses.

chernobylwraiths
02-28-2011, 04:21 PM

Answered it the first time.

Philagape
02-28-2011, 04:30 PM
I like the Boyes deal more than any recent deadline trade I can think of. Dominic Moore, Bernier and Torres never scored 30 goals, much less 40 like Boyes.
Boyes isn't a rental, so it's not about making a run this year. It's building a better team starting next year. No trades would have made them Cup contenders this year; the only name I've heard that might have made a big immediate splash was Richards, and he wasn't traded, probably because he had a NTC that gave him power to dictate where he would have gone.

psubills62
02-28-2011, 04:36 PM
He's had one opportunity to show that he was different from previous ownership. And in that opportunity, he failed. We have one piece of evidence to show he's the same and nothing but talk to show he's different. Maybe it's too soon to tell, but you can't blame people for being concerned. So based on one piece of evidence people feel the need to:

http://gesvol.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/jump-to-conclusions.jpg

I personally would like to see more evidence. And as other people have indicated, it's a little early to lump the Boyes trade in with every other mediocre trade.

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 04:38 PM
So based on one piece of evidence people feel the need to:

http://gesvol.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/jump-to-conclusions.jpg

I personally would like to see more evidence. And as other people have indicated, it's a little early to lump the Boyes trade in with every other mediocre trade.

It's the only piece of evidence we have so far. Call it jumping to conclusions if you like, but it's working with the evidence that we have at hand.

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 04:40 PM
You don't seem to get it. If the fans on a football message board think the team is full of crappy players then what does a real NHL GM think of those same players? Why would any of them ever trade for our pieces of crap and what would you think they would give you back in return? This is not Madden. Under your scenario the NHL is full of GMs are idiots who would gladly take our crap and give us back roses.

No, under my scenario, the NHL is full of GM's who will pay under market value for a player if they have a legit shot at the Cup. The Caps were definite buyers today- you don't think we could have gotten them to take Connolly for a 4th round draft pick? You don't think some playoff team with blue line injuries would have taken Butler for a late round draft pick? You don't think a team that needs playoff experience would have taken Neidermayer for 2 months?

psubills62
02-28-2011, 05:01 PM
It's the only piece of evidence we have so far. Call it jumping to conclusions if you like, but it's working with the evidence that we have at hand.

Why is there the great need to come to any conclusions so far? This is why I said people need to be patient. If you're upset, be upset. But I don't see any reason that people need to conclude anything about the ownership at this point.

Johnny Bugmenot
02-28-2011, 05:14 PM
EXACTLY.

The dead weight like Tim Connolly is still on the team. They picked up a token forward (see: Corkum, Zubrus, Heinze, etc.) that won't be here next year. Same dung, different owner.

Nighthawk
02-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Sorry, but Regier is who he is...a mediocre GM, who has put together a mediocre team. He doesn't know how to acquire superstar level talent and he is scared to try. If he stays, nothing will change...I don't see this team winning a cup.

Nighthawk
02-28-2011, 05:16 PM
EXACTLY.

The dead weight like Tim Connolly is still on the team. They picked up a token forward (see: Corkum, Zubrus, Heinze, etc.) that won't be here next year. Same dung, different owner.

I do agree it's the same old Sabres, different owner, but Boyes is under contract next year and will be here. It's not that he might not add to the team, it's the fact that Regier is so terrified or just doesn't have the hockey intelligence to build a championship team.

tampabay25690
02-28-2011, 07:36 PM
I do agree it's the same old Sabres, different owner, but Boyes is under contract next year and will be here. It's not that he might not add to the team, it's the fact that Regier is so terrified or just doesn't have the hockey intelligence to build a championship team.

Some think that this is a video game....
$$$ just grows on trees in buffalo to run the team...
Lets get to the playoffs and u never know.....
I guess Im just a positive person and seeing negativity all the time drives me crazy...
You can ***** all you want but deadline is over......

GO SABRES.........

SabreEleven
02-28-2011, 08:16 PM
I guess Im just a positive person and seeing negativity all the time drives me crazy...

GO SABRES.........

did you promise some big trade a few days ago? you had "sources"

tampabay25690
02-28-2011, 08:19 PM
did you promise some big trade a few days ago? you had "sources"

Promise never, I don't make the moves.
Trade yes but I also said future not just this year...
You do realize that is takes 2 to make a trade right.....
Teams want a ton of are young talent, why lose are future over a rent a player??

It's just funny to read what everyone writes....

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 08:25 PM

GO SABRES.........

Seeing negativity?

Sometimes people see negativity because negativity is reality. We are two games out of the playoffs and the only help we have to get us over the hump is Brad Boyes. Nothing against Boyes, but this is not a good team and I really don't see him as being so superior in talent that he can single-handedly put this team over the top.

People are negative because this is a rerun. We've seen this episode before and we know how it ends.

tampabay25690
02-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Seeing negativity?

Sometimes people see negativity because negativity is reality. We are two games out of the playoffs and the only help we have to get us over the hump is Brad Boyes. Nothing against Boyes, but this is not a good team and I really don't see him as being so superior in talent that he can single-handedly put this team over the top.

People are negative because this is a rerun. We've seen this episode before and we know how it ends.

Fair enough.....
I guess I should be use to it.

Nighthawk
02-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Promise never, I don't make the moves.
Trade yes but I also said future not just this year...
You do realize that is takes 2 to make a trade right.....
Teams want a ton of are young talent, why lose are future over a rent a player??

It's just funny to read what everyone writes....

I get what you're saying, but Regier seems to have all the built in excuses why he can't get great players in here...they don't have the money, there were no players available, it takes two to make a deal...blah, blah, blah...the excuses are endless. I think in the end, the reason we haven't seen a dramatic improvement on the ice is because the guy making the decisions is not very good at his job.

tampabay25690
02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
I get what you're saying, but Regier seems to have all the built in excuses why he can't get great players in here...they don't have the money, there were no players available, it takes two to make a deal...blah, blah, blah...the excuses are endless. I think in the end, the reason we haven't seen a dramatic improvement on the ice is because the guy making the decisions is not very good at his job.

We will see.....

OpIv37
02-28-2011, 09:13 PM

you know, I've read a lot of your posts about Darcy. I didn't necessarily ever agree or disagree, because I felt that he was hamstrung by Quinn being a moron and Golisano being cheap. But I've always been open to the idea that Darcy is part of the problem.

After today's performance, I'm coming around to your point of view. If Pegula doesn't fire Darcy after the season, IMO he gets one off-season to make significant improvement. Otherwise, I'm firmly in the "Fire Regier" camp.

And I realize that even if Pegula lets him spend right up to the cap, no one can turn this team into Cup winners in one off-season. But by "significant progress," i mean:
-Not re-signing ANY of the free agents on this team: Rivet (already gone), Connolly, Neidermayer, Grier*.
- Paying for one free-agent scorer, preferably a C
-Doing something about Lalime, even if it's just promoting Enroth and finding a prospect or draft pick to play in Portland.

This really isn't too much to ask- it's essentially just 1 free agent. And I really don't care if we have to use guys like Luke Adam, Mark Mancari and Paul Byron to fill out the roster- it'll be better than watching Neidermayer's old ass or Connolly's incompetence. If these things don't happen, then maybe we need to start a billboard.....

*=It kills me to say that about Mike Grier because he's meant a lot to the organization in his two incarnations as a Sabre, and I still think he has great hockey smarts/instincts. But this is a business and physically he is done. Time for the new guard.

Ebenezer
02-28-2011, 09:59 PM
-Not re-signing ANY of the free agents on this team: Rivet (already gone), Connolly, Neidermayer, Grier*.
- Paying for one free-agent scorer, preferably a C
-Doing something about Lalime, even if it's just promoting Enroth and finding a prospect or draft pick to play in Portland.

The only think you will be disappointed in is the free agent scorer...take a look at the list. It's Richards and bupkis. There is no way they bring back Connolly, Neids or Grier and Lalime will be gone - Enoth cannot be sent to the minors next year.

clumping platelets
02-28-2011, 10:37 PM
:popcorn:

JD
03-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Seeing negativity?

I think this team would be MUCH better off with Connolly and Neidermayer riding the pine. How does Portland work? Can we send them both down?

I'd bring Adam and Byron up in a heartbeat over those two clowns.

OpIv37
03-01-2011, 08:25 AM
I think this team would be MUCH better off with Connolly and Neidermayer riding the pine. How does Portland work? Can we send them both down?

I'd bring Adam and Byron up in a heartbeat over those two clowns.

Whether or not we can send them down depends on their specific contract. Given their veteran status, I'd be surprised if either has a 2 way contract (meaning we can't send them down).

Ebenezer
03-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Whether or not we can send them down depends on their specific contract. Given their veteran status, I'd be surprised if either has a 2 way contract (meaning we can't send them down).
They can be sent down but have to clear waivers, reentry waivers and then accept the assignment....and then they still collect their full salary.

chernobylwraiths
03-01-2011, 09:05 AM
They can be sent down but have to clear waivers, reentry waivers and then accept the assignment....and then they still collect their full salary.

I believe they only have to clear waivers once if just being sent down. Reentry waivers is when you want to bring a veteran back up to the club and he can be claimed at only half of his salary. The other half would be paid by the original club.

OpIv37
03-01-2011, 09:18 AM
I believe they only have to clear waivers once if just being sent down. Reentry waivers is when you want to bring a veteran back up to the club and he can be claimed at only half of his salary. The other half would be paid by the original club.

I could see that being an issue. Trading Connolly at $4 million a year might be next to impossible, but a GM on a team that's on the cusp of making the playoffs or that needs just a little extra to be a true Cup contender might give him $2 million.

So, if you are correct about this, it means that sending him down would be permanent because I don't think the Sabres would risk letting an opponent get him for the playoff run while they're still paying half his salary.

Ebenezer
03-01-2011, 12:46 PM
I could see that being an issue. Trading Connolly at $4 million a year might be next to impossible, but a GM on a team that's on the cusp of making the playoffs or that needs just a little extra to be a true Cup contender might give him $2 million.

So, if you are correct about this, it means that sending him down would be permanent because I don't think the Sabres would risk letting an opponent get him for the playoff run while they're still paying half his salary.

Hence part of the problem with trying to move him.

tampabay25690
03-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Hence part of the problem with trying to move him.

EB
You are 100%%%% correct.........
Every team in the NHL knows that the Sabres and the fans have had enough with ol Timmy boy.........So why would anyone want him and his salary?????
They are just waiting for him to get waived or walk after the season, which I think happens anyway.........

Mski
03-01-2011, 07:01 PM
TC is more of an asset to this team this year(playoff run) than any draft pick. His salary is too high to get a better player in return for a trade. This years draft is VERY weak to the point that any pick lower than a 2nd is the equivalent to a box of pucks

Nighthawk
03-01-2011, 09:06 PM
TC is not an asset at all...his play is horrible and he doesn't bring anything to the table. A young guy could do as much as he has done this year. Let's not fool ourselves.