• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

I dont want a QB in this draft

1. The most important one is that the talent level of this QB class is just plain bad. Neither Gabbert or Newton can clearly seperate themselves as the top QB, both have massive question marks, and neither has shown an "it" factor to me. Everybody behind them is very questionable and as Ive said before the talent in this draft reminds me of the talent in the 02 QB class.

2. Over drafting, we have plenty of holes to fill and for QB's you almost always have to over draft to get the one you want. My theory on that is that if you take a QB in the first four rounds you better damn well believe he's the franchise QB and invest in him. Don't see any of those guys as that guy right now and I dont want to pass on better skilled players in better drafting positions just to take a QB.

3. Lockout. This year more than ever its going to be such a weak impact for the rookie class. Its not their fault, but I dont see a new CBA coming together until late July-mid August. After that we still have to get rookies signed and do FA. There will be almost no camp, there will be no OTA's, and most rookies won't get a playbook till a week or two before the regular season starts. I dont want a rookie QB in that situation, because its mostly a wasted year.

I know plenty of people will disagree with me, so be it.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • alohabillsfan
    • Sep 2003

Re: I dont want a QB in this draft

I agree on all points, my thoughts exactly. We should be able to get 4 new defensive starters and vastley improve our defense.

I would add point number 4 that this is a very talented front 7 defensive class.
    Last edited by alohabillsfan; 03-01-2011, 07:33 AM.

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

Im with you. Lets continue to build the foundation. Fitzy is more than capable of keeping the seat warm.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• evol4276
        • Oct 2005

i definately agree with you on this, however i dont think we should completely forego the qb in the draft. i don't feel its fully needed to grab one really high, though i think a later round might be better. I'm not very impressed personally with the QB class this year, and can't really see who stands a better chance for us at the position. The only thing I feel strongly about regarding this is that Newton hasn't shown me much in actual skill at his position. sure he can run like the wind, but in my opinion there is a LOT of uncertainty about him that warrants less confidence towards him that other posters may have. I am in no way, shape, or form affiliated with the organization though, so who knows what they may be thinking. All I'm saying is that defense should be priority early on in the draft.
        Last edited by evol4276; 03-01-2011, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

I agree but I would not mind a QB in the 2nd or 3rd if they think one is there that can be developed for the future. Otherwise defense, defense defense.

Comment

• mayotm
            • Jul 2003

I'm OK with a QB not being drafted, but they need to sign somebody to backup Fitz.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by evol4276
              i definately agree with you on this, however i dont think we should completely forego the qb in the draft. i don't feel its fully needed to grab one really high, though i think a later round might be better. I'm not very impressed personally with the QB class this year, and can't really see who stands a better chance for us at the position. The only thing I feel strongly about regarding this is that Newton hasn't shown me much in actual skill at his position. sure he can run like the wind, but in my opinion there is a LOT of uncertainty about him that warrants less confidence towards him that other posters may have. I am in no way, shape, or form affiliated with the organization though, so who knows what they may be thinking. All I'm saying is that defense should be priority early on in the draft.
              The problem being is, How many starting QB's worth a dam were drafted in the later rounds, just a couple, so selecting a QB in the later rounds is simply taking one for the sake of picking a QB that historically will never pan out. I say pass and use that pick for LB or DB help/depth

Comment

• Ed
                Dude
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                The problem being is, How many starting QB's worth a dam were drafted in the later rounds, just a couple, so selecting a QB in the later rounds is simply taking one for the sake of picking a QB that historically will never pan out. I say pass and use that pick for LB or DB help/depth
                I think you could say that for every position though. Most late round picks in general don't pan out. Most have 2-3 year careers at best.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                  Pinkerton's son
                  • Feb 2006

Im def with you, ESPECIALLY bc none of these QBs is a bona fide stud...there is usually at least one guy who stands above the rest, but the fact that Gabbert was a 2nd rounder until Luck stayed in school really throws me off, and now hes supposed to be a top 10 pick? Thats BS. I want the best of the best, not the best of some group that just happens to be weak this year.

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

I can see what you're saying DB, especially about the overdrafting point. That frustrates me as well, and while there's a few guys I wouldn't mind the Bills drafting, I'd really rather not have them in the rounds that it sounds like they'll be going in. Especially since we have an early pick in every round.

My hope is that the QB's will end up similar to last year - dropping like rocks (outside of Tebow and Bradford). Last year it was considered weak too, and guys like Lefevour (who fans expected to go in the 2nd round or so) went in the 6th. I could see something similar happening this year outside of Gabbert/Newton, although last year's draft was probably stronger in other positions.
                    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Buckets
                      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                      1. The most important one is that the talent level of this QB class is just plain bad. Neither Gabbert or Newton can clearly seperate themselves as the top QB, both have massive question marks, and neither has shown an "it" factor to me. Everybody behind them is very questionable and as Ive said before the talent in this draft reminds me of the talent in the 02 QB class.

2. Over drafting, we have plenty of holes to fill and for QB's you almost always have to over draft to get the one you want. My theory on that is that if you take a QB in the first four rounds you better damn well believe he's the franchise QB and invest in him. Don't see any of those guys as that guy right now and I dont want to pass on better skilled players in better drafting positions just to take a QB.

3. Lockout. This year more than ever its going to be such a weak impact for the rookie class. Its not their fault, but I dont see a new CBA coming together until late July-mid August. After that we still have to get rookies signed and do FA. There will be almost no camp, there will be no OTA's, and most rookies won't get a playbook till a week or two before the regular season starts. I dont want a rookie QB in that situation, because its mostly a wasted year.

I know plenty of people will disagree with me, so be it.
                      Correct me if I'm wrong but wern't you one of the posters who last draft season advocated waiting till this year to draft a QB because the talent would be much better? Just asking

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Ed
                        I think you could say that for every position though. Most late round picks in general don't pan out. Most have 2-3 year careers at best.
                        Alot of those mid round picks provide depth and play special teams, clipboard holders do not.

Comment

• PTI
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2011

Fitz is dreadful and is in his last season of his contract. It would be stupid to not take a QB very high in the draft. The rookie season will be a waste? Yeah, right. Spiller, Troup, and Carrington sure played a lot. What is difference if they take a QB high and he sits the bench. The guys that played sparingly this past season will be on the field more, and you have to hope will make more of an impact in the bad D against the run that we had. If you trust this staff, you have to trust that they picked and signed well last year, and if a QB is up there they have to take him. All three of the OP's reasons are so flawed.

1. Newton has more upside than any player in the draft. Most everyone says this. Some might say he should not be drafted top 3 but still say he is biggest talent in the draft. Both have the size of recent draft QB success stories like Ryan, Flacco, Freeman, and Bradford, and even Big Ben. Did I mention Fitzpatrick sucks?

2. I have no clue what you are even saying? Over drafting? You mean reaching? You do realize that QB is the most important position on the field, right? There is no one that believes QBs are bonafide franchise guys taken in rounds 3 and 4. No way. You hope you stuck gold, that is it. Round 1 is your really only sure fire round that teams firmly believe they have a go to guy at this point. Anything else is getting lucky or depth.

3. Lockout, whatever, rookies are less important? Whatever. Rookie QB in what situation? He is likely to not start immediately anyway. He will be fine. There will be a cap on salaries. this is perfect time to take a QB if you really like him. Did I mention Fitz is only under contract for this season coming up? He makes 3 million, do you really want to pay Ryan Crappatrick 5 million a year, that is what he would get if he stays to start the season after if we don't pick a guy and get him ready to play.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by PTI
                            Fitz is dreadful and is in his last season of his contract. It would be stupid to not take a QB very high in the draft. The rookie season will be a waste? Yeah, right. Spiller, Troup, and Carrington sure played a lot. What is difference if they take a QB high and he sits the bench. The guys that played sparingly this past season will be on the field more, and you have to hope will make more of an impact in the bad D against the run that we had. If you trust this staff, you have to trust that they picked and signed well last year, and if a QB is up there they have to take him. All three of the OP's reasons are so flawed.

1. Newton has more upside than any player in the draft. Most everyone says this. Some might say he should not be drafted top 3 but still say he is biggest talent in the draft. Both have the size of recent draft QB success stories like Ryan, Flacco, Freeman, and Bradford, and even Big Ben. Did I mention Fitzpatrick sucks?

2. I have no clue what you are even saying? Over drafting? You mean reaching? You do realize that QB is the most important position on the field, right? There is no one that believes QBs are bonafide franchise guys taken in rounds 3 and 4. No way. You hope you stuck gold, that is it. Round 1 is your really only sure fire round that teams firmly believe they have a go to guy at this point. Anything else is getting lucky or depth.

3. Lockout, whatever, rookies are less important? Whatever. Rookie QB in what situation? He is likely to not start immediately anyway. He will be fine. There will be a cap on salaries. this is perfect time to take a QB if you really like him. Did I mention Fitz is only under contract for this season coming up? He makes 3 million, do you really want to pay Ryan Crappatrick 5 million a year, that is what he would get if he stays to start the season after if we don't pick a guy and get him ready to play.
                            1) Fitz is not dreadful...hes no star but hes capable.
                            2) Yes, Newton has lots of "potential"...he is nowhere near ready to play NFL ball yet...Fitz would make him look like a complete scrub at this point.
                            Last edited by Pinkerton Security; 03-01-2011, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Philagape
                              WIN NOW
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by PTI
                              That last sentence reveals the flaw in this thinking.
                              Fitz has nothing to do with Newton or any other QB prospect.
                              Even if Fitz sucks, that doesn't make any QB prospect better or more appealing.
                              A prospect should be drafted on his merits alone, so an opinion of Fitz tacked on to a paragraph about Newton is irrelevant.
                              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X