• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Jerry Sullivan: Bills can't pass up the chance to draft Newton

"Here's a little trivia for all you Buffalo sports fans: When was the last time the Bills used their first pick of the draft on a quarterback?It hasn't happened since their first year of existence, when they took Richie Lucas of Penn State."

"Character matters. But if youthful indiscretions disqualified a player, half the NFL would be ineligible. Kelly had character issues. Just about every star on the Bills' Super Bowl teams had character issues. Roethlisberger wasn't a hard worker when he went to the Steelers, and he had worse character issues than Newton. Talent wins out in the end. I don't care if Newton played only one year of big-time college football. This isn't Aaron Maybin. Newton led Auburn to an unbeaten season in the SEC, the best league in the nation. He accounted for 50 touchdowns. The Bills would prefer to have three seasons to judge him on. But if Newton accomplished all that in one season, imagine how good he might be.
    The Bills are desperate for defensive help, thanks to years of dubious draft picks. But defensive players are easier to find than elite quarterbacks, and they don't take as long to develop."

• Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: Jerry Sullivan: Bills can't pass up the chance to draft Newton

Once again Jerry is wrong.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

If the Bills draft Newton & he flops, Sullivan will be the 1st to call them all idiots.

Comment

• Lone Stranger
        • Sep 2002

He has an opinion like everyone else. But there is nothing in his resume to consider him an expert. In fact, I would be certain Jerry never played the game. I find it ridiculous those who feel they are knowledgeable but are far from it.

His comments are worth 0 to me.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

I am all for Newton or Gabbert at 3. Whichever QB they like better.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Jerry is just voicing his opinion, FWIW... but I disagree completely.

He follows basketball very closely and has only a mild interest in football, hockey etc. Newton has a long way to go before being NFL ready and this QB class isn't that good at all up top.

Sully would blame the coaching if Newton didn't turn out, just to save face.

Greg McElroy of Alabama in the middle/late rounds would make more sense. He could play right away if needed and wouldn't make many rookie mistakes. I do believe in QB smarts and strong Defense. First things first.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Luisito23
              Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by better days
              If the Bills draft Newton & he flops, Sullivan will be the 1st to call them all idiots.

Classic Sullivan.
              "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
              ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
              ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
              ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

People are tired of me bashing Newton, so I'll keep it simple.

Something about his demeanor I just really don't like, maybe it's the way he speaks so unintelligently, the way he can yap on and on without really saying much, or the way he comes across as a me-first type of guy, I don't know. But I don't want him on the team I root for.

Remember Ralph, the box of poop coming your way.

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

PASS

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                    • May 2003

I think with all of our defensive needs, Newton is just too much of a boom-or-bust gamble to take at 3. Just my opinion, though, and from a guy who once thought Ryan Leaf would be better than Peyton Manning.
                    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                      • Nov 2009

Sullivan was screaming on WGR about the trade deadline the other day...he sounded like a fool. Sully's opinion is purely antagonistic and has no relevance.

Sully is big on screaming every body in Buffalo sports needs fired/cut/traded...I've never heard a positive word our of his mouth. He doesn't have the ability to see the good in anything. I suppose with many here that makes him a realist, and/or a genius...but I just think he's an *******.

It is funny that he thinks all of the talent is sub par on the Bills and Sabres... Jerry should mail out a few copies of his resume, then hold his breath and wait for the phone to ring.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                        I am all for Newton or Gabbert at 3. Whichever QB they like better.
                        Thurm me 2....
                        I like Cam a bit better......
                        Just athletic as **** and would fit the offense that much better....
                        GO Gators!!!!!!
                        GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Philagape
                          WIN NOW
                          • Jul 2002

Talent wins out in the end.
                          If he's referring to physical talent, which I gather he is because he called him a "rare physical talent," then he couldn't be more wrong.

JPUFL may be the most physically talented QB the Bills ever had.

It's astounding how people can still drool over physical talents alone after all the gifted athletes who have busted, both in Buffalo and across the league.

If that's his argument, then it's the brick that sinks the whole column.
                          Last edited by Philagape; 03-02-2011, 08:31 AM.
                          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• baalworship
                            • May 2003

Jerry Sullivan is right on the money. This organization needs some GREAT players. The best place to have a great player is QB.

Newton has to be the pick if he's there.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                              Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

So funny we're having the same Clausen debate this year again.

I say we take Dareus, go 0-16, and get Luck next year. Now that's a QB I can support.

Comment

Working...
                              X