PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sullivan: Bills can't pass up the chance to draft Newton

X-Era
03-02-2011, 06:10 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article355516.ece

"Here's a little trivia for all you Buffalo sports fans: When was the last time the Bills used their first pick of the draft on a quarterback?It hasn't happened since their first year of existence, when they took Richie Lucas of Penn State."

"Character matters. But if youthful indiscretions disqualified a player, half the NFL would be ineligible. Kelly had character issues. Just about every star on the Bills' Super Bowl teams had character issues. Roethlisberger wasn't a hard worker when he went to the Steelers, and he had worse character issues than Newton. Talent wins out in the end. I don't care if Newton played only one year of big-time college football. This isn't Aaron Maybin. Newton led Auburn to an unbeaten season in the SEC, the best league in the nation. He accounted for 50 touchdowns. The Bills would prefer to have three seasons to judge him on. But if Newton accomplished all that in one season, imagine how good he might be.
The Bills are desperate for defensive help, thanks to years of dubious draft picks. But defensive players are easier to find than elite quarterbacks, and they don't take as long to develop."

Novacane
03-02-2011, 06:27 AM
Once again Jerry is wrong.

better days
03-02-2011, 07:20 AM
If the Bills draft Newton & he flops, Sullivan will be the 1st to call them all idiots.

Lone Stranger
03-02-2011, 07:28 AM
He has an opinion like everyone else. But there is nothing in his resume to consider him an expert. In fact, I would be certain Jerry never played the game. I find it ridiculous those who feel they are knowledgeable but are far from it.

His comments are worth 0 to me.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2011, 07:39 AM
I am all for Newton or Gabbert at 3. Whichever QB they like better.

Night Train
03-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Jerry is just voicing his opinion, FWIW... but I disagree completely.

He follows basketball very closely and has only a mild interest in football, hockey etc. Newton has a long way to go before being NFL ready and this QB class isn't that good at all up top.

Sully would blame the coaching if Newton didn't turn out, just to save face.

Greg McElroy of Alabama in the middle/late rounds would make more sense. He could play right away if needed and wouldn't make many rookie mistakes. I do believe in QB smarts and strong Defense. First things first.

Luisito23
03-02-2011, 07:46 AM
If the Bills draft Newton & he flops, Sullivan will be the 1st to call them all idiots.

Classic Sullivan.

Mr. Miyagi
03-02-2011, 07:56 AM
People are tired of me bashing Newton, so I'll keep it simple.

Something about his demeanor I just really don't like, maybe it's the way he speaks so unintelligently, the way he can yap on and on without really saying much, or the way he comes across as a me-first type of guy, I don't know. But I don't want him on the team I root for.

Remember Ralph, the box of poop coming your way.

ddaryl
03-02-2011, 07:58 AM
PASS

Jan Reimers
03-02-2011, 08:14 AM
I think with all of our defensive needs, Newton is just too much of a boom-or-bust gamble to take at 3. Just my opinion, though, and from a guy who once thought Ryan Leaf would be better than Peyton Manning.

Beebe's Kid
03-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Sullivan was screaming on WGR about the trade deadline the other day...he sounded like a fool. Sully's opinion is purely antagonistic and has no relevance.

Sully is big on screaming every body in Buffalo sports needs fired/cut/traded...I've never heard a positive word our of his mouth. He doesn't have the ability to see the good in anything. I suppose with many here that makes him a realist, and/or a genius...but I just think he's an *******.

It is funny that he thinks all of the talent is sub par on the Bills and Sabres... Jerry should mail out a few copies of his resume, then hold his breath and wait for the phone to ring.

tampabay25690
03-02-2011, 08:24 AM
I am all for Newton or Gabbert at 3. Whichever QB they like better.

Thurm me 2....
I like Cam a bit better......
Just athletic as **** and would fit the offense that much better....

Philagape
03-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Talent wins out in the end.

If he's referring to physical talent, which I gather he is because he called him a "rare physical talent," then he couldn't be more wrong.

JPUFL may be the most physically talented QB the Bills ever had.

It's astounding how people can still drool over physical talents alone after all the gifted athletes who have busted, both in Buffalo and across the league.

If that's his argument, then it's the brick that sinks the whole column.

baalworship
03-02-2011, 08:31 AM
Jerry Sullivan is right on the money. This organization needs some GREAT players. The best place to have a great player is QB.

Newton has to be the pick if he's there.

Mr. Miyagi
03-02-2011, 08:39 AM
So funny we're having the same Clausen debate this year again.

I say we take Dareus, go 0-16, and get Luck next year. Now that's a QB I can support.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2011, 08:53 AM
So funny we're having the same Clausen debate this year again.

I say we take Dareus, go 0-16, and get Luck next year. Now that's a QB I can support.
I think it is safe to say Newton is on a much higher level than Clausen was. I respect that you don't like him though.

Mr. Pink
03-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Newton is without a doubt better than Clausen.

That being said, I don't want him either.

The first pick should be a cornerstone type of guy on either side of the ball to build around. This is not a pick we can afford to miss on.

Oldbillsfan
03-02-2011, 09:01 AM

"Here's a little trivia for all you Buffalo sports fans: When was the last time the Bills used their first pick of the draft on a quarterback?It hasn't happened since their first year of existence, when they took Richie Lucas of Penn State."
uhh, I guess he forgot about Loss Man. Sure he wasn't the first pick in that draft but still... With the #3 pick they can't afford to get it wrong. There is a decade of draft busts to make up for. I'm all for whoever they draft but it has to be a great player for years to come.

Bill Cody
03-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Newton is without a doubt better than Clausen.

That being said, I don't want him either.

The first pick should be a cornerstone type of guy on either side of the ball to build around. This is not a pick we can afford to miss on.

Ok I'll bite. Who is this cornerstone player that we should take instead?

Mr. Pink
03-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Ok I'll bite. Who is this cornerstone player that we should take instead?

With a decade of failure this organization has had at drafting, we need to concentrate on drafting an elite talent without all the question marks.

Anyone who there are legitimate concerns about shouldn't even be thought of.

So a guy like Newton is someone we shouldn't even be looking at.

If you're a franchise who hits on draft picks more often than not or you have more of a talent base to build on you can afford to take risks.

Here's the 3 guys that should be in the discussion at OBD, imo, Dareus, Peterson, Green. I know Green isn't a popular choice and likely shouldn't be drafted before you or someone else jumps on me for suggesting him. However his talent is undeniable and he doesn't have the question marks.

jimbledsoe
03-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Lossman was the second first round pick. I believe the first was Lee Evans.

Bill Cody
03-02-2011, 09:33 AM
With a decade of failure this organization has had at drafting, we need to concentrate on drafting an elite talent without all the question marks.

Anyone who there are legitimate concerns about shouldn't even be thought of.

So a guy like Newton is someone we shouldn't even be looking at.

If you're a franchise who hits on draft picks more often than not or you have more of a talent base to build on you can afford to take risks.

Here's the 3 guys that should be in the discussion at OBD, imo, Dareus, Peterson, Green. I know Green isn't a popular choice and likely shouldn't be drafted before you or someone else jumps on me for suggesting him. However his talent is undeniable and he doesn't have the question marks.

Ok I understand this line of thinking. But personally I don't look at WR as a "cornerstone" position. In the same way that Spiller was a luxury pick, Green (who I love by the way) would be a luxury pick. Corner and pass rushing DE/DT are cornerstone positions so if both Peterson and Dareus have the goods I wouldn't argue with either one.

Of course QB is THE cornerstone position. My take on Newton or even Gabbert is if there are questions find the answers, that's the point of having a GM and a scouting staff. If all they're doing is parroting back the BS the talking heads are saying let's save the money and buy a Draft Guide for $9.95 and be done with it. God knows that would have been more effective than what we've done over the past decade.

elltrain22
03-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Jerry Sullivan is such a douche bag!!

PTI
03-02-2011, 10:16 AM
It is just plain stupid to not take a QB that can play the last 4 games at least and potentially start next year regardless of growing pains. Fitz's last year of his contract and people seriously want to pass on taking a QB and assume he remains?

Mr. Pink
03-02-2011, 10:27 AM
It is just plain stupid to not take a QB that can play the last 4 games at least and potentially start next year regardless of growing pains. Fitz's last year of his contract and people seriously want to pass on taking a QB and assume he remains?

If the Bills like a QB better that's slotted to come out next year, why not? Extend Fitzpatrick for a year or two and draft Luck/Barkley/Next big thing.

PromoTheRobot
03-02-2011, 10:37 AM

Jerry has Quarterback Fever!

PTR

Commissioner
03-02-2011, 10:38 AM

"Character matters. But if youthful indiscretions disqualified a player, half the NFL would be ineligible. Kelly had character issues. Just about every star on the Bills' Super Bowl teams had character issues. Roethlisberger wasn't a hard worker when he went to the Steelers, and he had worse character issues than Newton. Talent wins out in the end. I don't care if Newton played only one year of big-time college football. This isn't Aaron Maybin. Newton led Auburn to an unbeaten season in the SEC, the best league in the nation. He accounted for 50 touchdowns. The Bills would prefer to have three seasons to judge him on. But if Newton accomplished all that in one season, imagine how good he might be.
The Bills are desperate for defensive help, thanks to years of dubious draft picks. But defensive players are easier to find than elite quarterbacks, and they don't take as long to develop."

That seals the deal... if Jerry Sullivan thinks we should take Newton... then there is no way in hell we should draft him.

I don't care how athletic the guy is... he showed at the combine he's got no accuracy... and they are saying he didn't do real well in interviews on the board.

PromoTheRobot
03-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Someone pointed out to me that before Luck withdrew, no one considered Newton or Gabbert a #1 overall pick. Now all of a sudden they are? That tells me all this hype is BS. Just something to fill the vacuum left by Luck opting out of the draft.

PTR

Bufftp
03-02-2011, 10:43 AM
not only that, when cam is a bust in 3 years Jerry will be writing columns on foolish and incompetent the pick was.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2011, 10:50 AM
If the Bills like a QB better that's slotted to come out next year, why not? Extend Fitzpatrick for a year or two and draft Luck/Barkley/Next big thing.
This is a losers attitude. This is saying yep we are going to lose 10+ games again next year to be position to draft the best QB.

You take what you have in front of you. We can't be thinking about possibly getting in position for a guy we like better next year, who could end up tanking or getting hurt....

justasportsfan
03-02-2011, 10:51 AM
I am all for Newton or Gabbert at 3.

why? Will either players win us a sb?

better days
03-02-2011, 10:55 AM
That seals the deal... if Jerry Sullivan thinks we should take Newton... then there is no way in hell we should draft him.

I don't care how athletic the guy is... he showed at the combine he's got no accuracy... and they are saying he didn't do real well in interviews on the board.

I just read an article from the Washington Post on ProFootballtalk.com that quotes Bill Polian. "Intellegence is awfully important" "It's a complex game and they have to comprehend and process lots of information. It's not rocket science but it's pretty close, it's like financial engineering, or the things that pilots do."

The article also said Polian tries not to overrate the physical in favor of the mental & emotional aspects of the game.

I seriously doubt that if Polian needed a QB he would take Newton at #3.

PromoTheRobot
03-02-2011, 10:56 AM
not only that, when cam is a bust in 3 years Jerry will be writing columns on foolish and incompetent the pick was.

Oh man, you got that right! You should read the scathing e-mail I got from Jerry when I brought up the 2004 column he wrote slathering praise on Tom Donahoe for making such a brilliant pick with Mike Williams. He wrote me that he reserves the right to change his mind and "that's how the newspaper game is played." Really? Forgetting your words as soon as you write them is how you play the newspaper game?

PTR

Mr. Pink
03-02-2011, 10:56 AM
This is a losers attitude. This is saying yep we are going to lose 10+ games again next year to be position to draft the best QB.

You take what you have in front of you. We can't be thinking about possibly getting in position for a guy we like better next year, who could end up tanking or getting hurt....

You look realistically at what you have, has nothing to do with a losers attitude.

You look at this roster and there are holes literally everywhere. Outside of RB, LS and P what position is basically set for 2011? None in my opinion.

Every other place on the roster can be substantially improved not just the QB position.

This team isn't built to win or compete for the playoffs in 2011, no offense, regardless of who we draft. We're closer to a winless team than a playoff caliber team.

DraftBoy
03-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Someone pointed out to me that before Luck withdrew, no one considered Newton or Gabbert a #1 overall pick. Now all of a sudden they are? That tells me all this hype is BS. Just something to fill the vacuum left by Luck opting out of the draft.

PTR

Its the overdraft factor.

PTI
03-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Its the overdraft factor.

What the heck is overdraft factor? If the Bills have Newton or Gabbert at 15 and they are sitting there at #3 there is no reason to not take the best QB they have rated in the draft, there is nothing more important than having a superior QB.

jdbillsfan
03-02-2011, 11:29 AM

PTR

I agree on the Gabbert front. I am not sure what he has done to deserve the move up. Newton carried his team to a championship and undefeated season in one of the toughest conferences in college. Won the heisman, etc, etc.

That is always going to garner attention.

I would be interested to see the thought process on why Newton would not be considered higher than he was earlier or if that is even true. Vick was a number 1 pick and an amazing talent. Newton seems to be in that space.

DraftBoy
03-02-2011, 11:45 AM
What the heck is overdraft factor? If the Bills have Newton or Gabbert at 15 and they are sitting there at #3 there is no reason to not take the best QB they have rated in the draft, there is nothing more important than having a superior QB.

Players at premium position (like QB) will get drafted higher than they should value wise, simply because they play that position. 3-4 NT is another position that is often overdrafted.

Nighthawk
03-02-2011, 12:11 PM

Agreed, that mentality is completely ignorant to how things work, or in this case, don't work. You can't just say "we'll get a QB next year" because nobody knows what position this team will be in to take one then or if there is a QB worthy of taking when the Bills pick in next year's draft. I hate this mentality...absolutely makes no sense.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2011, 01:11 PM
why? Will either players win us a sb?
Who knows but they have a better chance than the rest IMO...

X-Era
03-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Players at premium position (like QB) will get drafted higher than they should value wise, simply because they play that position. 3-4 NT is another position that is often overdrafted.I agree with this.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Agreed, that mentality is completely ignorant to how things work, or in this case, don't work. You can't just say "we'll get a QB next year" because nobody knows what position this team will be in to take one then or if there is a QB worthy of taking when the Bills pick in next year's draft. I hate this mentality...absolutely makes no sense.
It pisses me off.

We most likely won't be drafting quite as high as 3 next season, at least I don't want the team banking on that happening.

justasportsfan
03-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Who knows but they have a better chance than the rest IMO...

Really? If Luck came out in the draft and both Cams and Gabberts stock dropped, you'd be calling them waste of time too .

justasportsfan
03-02-2011, 01:16 PM
It pisses me off.

We most likely won't be drafting quite as high as 3 next season, .

which is why you make sure to draft a sure thing with that pick. Cam and Gabbert are not sure players. They are both full of questionamarks.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Really? If Luck came out in the draft and both Cams and Gabberts stock dropped, you'd be calling them waste of time too .
No I wouldn't because their stock wouldn't be 4th round grade.... GET WITH IT MAN. You don't like Newton or Gabbert I totally respect that but don't act like I am an idiot for advocating the team address the most important position on the team. I also won't lose my mind if they don't draft either.

PTI
03-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Players at premium position (like QB) will get drafted higher than they should value wise, simply because they play that position. 3-4 NT is another position that is often overdrafted.
You make it sound like it is a crime to do this and it is the wrong thing to do. The connotation you use is the issue. Everyone knows players who play positions of greater impact may get drafted higher, you make it sound like you are smarter than everyone else and this is the wrong thing to do. Why would you not "overdraft" a player at a "premium"position, sounds like a smart thing to do if you get the best one in a draft and you have them highly rated.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2011, 01:24 PM
which is why you make sure to draft a sure thing with that pick. Cam and Gabbert are not sure players. They are both full of questionamarks.
Andrew Luck isn't a sure thing. Bradford wasn't a sure thing.

justasportsfan
03-02-2011, 01:28 PM
No I wouldn't because their stock wouldn't be 4th round grade.... GET WITH IT MAN. You don't like Newton or Gabbert I totally respect that but don't act like I am an idiot for advocating the team address the most important position on the team. I also won't lose my mind if they don't draft either.

I am all for addressing the qb postition. There is nothing more important to me than having a franchise qb. This team has struggled ever since Kelly left. You yourself talked about learning from mistakes. You don't grab a qb for the sake of grabbing one because we don't have one or else we might end up drafting another JP. If CHan thinks either CAm/Gabbert are worth the risk at 3, I'm on board. IF he thinks theres better value in the 3rd , I'm on board too and not simply becasue you think it's a waste.

justasportsfan
03-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Nix thought that Braford was the only sure frnachise qb in last years draft.

X-Era
03-02-2011, 01:30 PM
It pisses me off.

We most likely won't be drafting quite as high as 3 next season, at least I don't want the team banking on that happening.I'm tired of it too. The timing is right. We need to get our long term answer and a guy that can take us to the playoffs and beyond.

IMO, we will see how Fitz will hold us back as the team becomes close to a .500 team again. Don't wait until Fitz prevents our advancement, anticipate the problem and provide a possible solution before it happens.

We have the pick to get the pick of the litter at QB, most likely. If the Bills decide a guy is worthy of a top 5 or even a top 10 pick, I'd have no issue with making the pick. The defense needs multiple parts to become average and significant upgrades to become good... that won't happen with just one high round pick. It will more likely be a multiple year process. And in the mean time, we could be developing a cohesive offense with a guy who could develop into top-notch starter and leader who's capable of providing wins or putting up points against quality defenses at the very least.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm tired of it too. The timing is right. We need to get our long term answer and a guy that can take us to the playoffs and beyond.

IMO, we will see how Fitz will hold us back as the team becomes close to a .500 team again. Don't wait until Fitz prevents our advancement, anticipate the problem and provide a possible solution before it happens.

We have the pick to get the pick of the litter at QB, most likely. If the Bills decide a guy is worthy of a top 5 or even a top 10 pick, I'd have no issue with making the pick. The defense needs multiple parts to become average and significant upgrades to become good... that won't happen with just one high round pick. It will more likely be a multiple year process. And in the mean time, we could be developing a cohesive offense with a guy who could develop into top-notch starter and leader who's capable of providing wins or putting up points against quality defenses at the very least.
Seriously when will we have our pick of the litter again? Maybe never!!!!

better days
03-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Seriously when will we have our pick of the litter again? Maybe never!!!!

Yeah just our luck, we finally get the pick of the litter, but the purebred ***** shepard was knocked up by some stray mongrels & we don't know what the hell is going to come out of her.

Bert102176
03-03-2011, 12:02 AM
I think we need to take Von Miller at 3

Dujek
03-03-2011, 03:36 AM
None of the quarterbacks in this year's draft are good enough to be taken anywhere in the top 5, maybe not even the top 10. It's simple if Dareus is there you pick him, if he's gone then it's Peterson, Fairley or Miller.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-03-2011, 04:24 AM
I would be certain Jerry never played the game. I find it ridiculous those who feel they are knowledgeable but are far from it.

LOL, welcome to the Billszone!!!!

YardRat
03-03-2011, 06:09 AM
Sully cares more about a story than he does the team...Newton would give him material for the next 3-5 seasons.

alohabillsfan
03-03-2011, 06:42 AM
I would like to see the Bills use a Jets type model, build a Defense then move up and grab your QB. PS, I believe next year will have atleast 3 top 12 QB's.

X-Era
03-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I would like to see the Bills use a Jets type model, build a Defense then move up and grab your QB. PS, I believe next year will have atleast 3 top 12 QB's.I hear that every year.

justasportsfan
03-03-2011, 12:24 PM
I am not against Cam being taken at 3 only because our coach is Gailey. If it were Dick, even Luck would be a wasted pick at 3.

madness
03-03-2011, 01:22 PM
I am not against Cam being taken at 3 only because our coach is Gailey. If it were Dick, even Luck would be a wasted pick at 3.

Even with Gailey, I don't want him at 3. IMO, the guy shouldn't even be drafted in the 1st round. He didn't look comfortable at all dropping back and had terrible footwork but the true value of the combine is where he failed the most. It's been reported he did poorly in team interviews and couldn't read coverages/breakdown defenses to save his life.

Pass.

Figster
03-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Even with Gailey, I don't want him at 3. IMO, the guy shouldn't even be drafted in the 1st round. He didn't look comfortable at all dropping back and had terrible footwork but the true value of the combine is where he failed the most. It's been reported he did poorly in team interviews and couldn't read coverages/breakdown defenses to save his life.

Pass.

unsubstantiated reports

Bangarang
03-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Cam Newton's struggles in the throwing session at the Combine Sunday have already been well documented. His strategy of reading a prepared statement and refusing to acknowledge the extent of the "mistakes" he made earlier in his career while at Florida has been hotly contested.

Even more of a concern, however, is that the reigning Heisman winner is also struggling answering football questions during team interviews at the Combine.

NFLDraftScout.com has learned that at least two teams gave Newton poor grades for his "football character" following interviewing him at the Combine. Newton, according to league sources, had a difficult time drawing up plays and how to react to different defensive schemes when asked to work on the white board.

There is no denying Newton's potential, but his success in spread option offense much simpler than anything he'll see in the NFL continues to be his greatest challenge. Not all teams are convinced he has the ability to make the adjustment to the complex defensive schemes he'll see at the pro level.

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27699509

The Jokeman
03-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Look at what St Louis had prior to getting Bradford. Before getting Bradford they had a Pro Bowl RB in Steven Jackson. They took Jason Smith 2nd overall in 2009 and an all rookie LB in Jame Laurinaitis selected 35th overall in 2009. Toss in Chris Long taken 2nd overall in 2010. What do the Bills have in comparison? An average RB in Freddie Jackson and a questionable RB in CJ Spiller. We have a big time time hole at RT and LT is still a question mark. On the D-line yeah Kyle's a Pro Bowler but the rest of the D stinks.

justasportsfan
03-03-2011, 02:58 PM

Pass.

Let me put it this way, I think he's too much of a risk at #3 when a sure thing can be had there with the likes of Dareus. I do however trust Nix and Gailey. If they go with him, I'll have to trust that they think he is the next franchise qb and that they can fix whatever problems he has both mentally and fundamentally.

IMO, Nix passes on Cam. He keeps saying you have to make sure you get # 3 right. Cam has way too many questionmarks.

madness
03-03-2011, 03:00 PM
unsubstantiated reports

Where there's smoke...

mayotm
03-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Jerry Sullivan will forget that he wrote this article and rip the Bills in a new article if the Bills draft Newton.

THATHURMANATOR
03-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Look at what St Louis had prior to getting Bradford. Before getting Bradford they had a Pro Bowl RB in Steven Jackson. They took Jason Smith 2nd overall in 2009 and an all rookie LB in Jame Laurinaitis selected 35th overall in 2009. Toss in Chris Long taken 2nd overall in 2010. What do the Bills have in comparison? An average RB in Freddie Jackson and a questionable RB in CJ Spiller. We have a big time time hole at RT and LT is still a question mark. On the D-line yeah Kyle's a Pro Bowler but the rest of the D stinks.
I don't see why it matters who St louis took with past picks.

alohabillsfan
03-03-2011, 04:59 PM
I hear that every year.

I can tell you that there are not 3 top 15 QB's this year!

X-Era
03-03-2011, 05:08 PM
I can tell you that there are not 3 top 15 QB's this year!I agree. But every year there is a significant contingent saying we should wait until next year to get the QB... Well, next year never comes and the time is now.

better days
03-03-2011, 05:24 PM
unsubstantiated reports

As opposed to the "substantiated" positive reports you post about him. OK.

The Jokeman
03-03-2011, 07:05 PM
I don't see why it matters who St louis took with past picks.
It's understanding that Bradford alone didn't lead the Rams' turnaround. It's understanding that they were building some good talent before acquiring Bradford. I mean do you reall think a rookie QB is going to play significantly better than Fitz to help turn around this team? I mean do you think we are going to beat the Pats or Jets in a shootout? Likely no so build this bottom ranked D to be able to become average and then you don't need a QB to play spectacular to win. In terms of the pick I favor Dareus. As 1)He fits our plan of a 3-4 D 2)He can also fit our D if elect to switch to a 4-3 in 2012 (as wouldn't be shocked Edwards getting fired if the D struggles again and Wanny replacing him) 3)He could make Kyle Williams even better 4)He could make everyone behind him better.

Let's again remember why we lost Super Bows XXV- XXVII our superior O struggled with turnovers and our D wasn't strong enough to make up for the mistakes. The same thing happened in this past Super Bowl as the Steelers O's turnovers were too much for their D. To me play a strong D game and your O can play with a short field and can win by being only average.

PTI
03-03-2011, 07:29 PM
It's understanding that Bradford alone didn't lead the Rams' turnaround. It's understanding that they were building some good talent before acquiring Bradford. I mean do you reall think a rookie QB is going to play significantly better than Fitz to help turn around this team? I mean do you think we are going to beat the Pats or Jets in a shootout? Likely no so build this bottom ranked D to be able to become average and then you don't need a QB to play spectacular to win. In terms of the pick I favor Dareus. As 1)He fits our plan of a 3-4 D 2)He can also fit our D if elect to switch to a 4-3 in 2012 (as wouldn't be shocked Edwards getting fired if the D struggles again and Wanny replacing him) 3)He could make Kyle Williams even better 4)He could make everyone behind him better.

Let's again remember why we lost Super Bows XXV- XXVII our superior O struggled with turnovers and our D wasn't strong enough to make up for the mistakes. The same thing happened in this past Super Bowl as the Steelers O's turnovers were too much for their D. To me play a strong D game and your O can play with a short field and can win by being only average.

Bills won 4 games. I think they can win 4 games with whatever rookie they have might pick and just let him play. Fitz was just about lowest rated starting QB in the NFL, why don't people understand this? Not to mention he is not clutch, he has less 4th quarter comeback and game winning drives than Trent Edwards has and Fitz has more career starts.

BertSquirtgum
03-03-2011, 10:37 PM
i wish jerry sullivan would move to africa.

THATHURMANATOR
03-03-2011, 11:55 PM

So why can't we get the QB first? Why is that a problem?

BertSquirtgum
03-04-2011, 12:05 AM
So why can't we get the QB first? Why is that a problem?

it's a problem because there aren't any qb's worth the 3rd pick of the draft. lay off the dope thurm.

Extremebillsfan247
03-04-2011, 04:51 AM

He has some what of a point. However, your not going to find very many Bruce Smiths, Reggie Whites, Lawrence Taylors, Ray Lewis, Warren Sapps, in the later rounds of the draft that your going to develop in to perennial pro bowlers either. All these players had a profound effect on the success of the teams they were a part of. They were all first round selections. Going defense with your first pick should never be underestimated. JMO

X-Era
03-04-2011, 05:41 AM
He has some what of a point. However, your not going to find very many Bruce Smiths, Reggie Whites, Lawrence Taylors, Ray Lewis, Warren Sapps, in the later rounds of the draft that your going to develop in to perennial pro bowlers either. All these players had a profound effect on the success of the teams they were a part of. They were all first round selections. Going defense with your first pick should never be underestimated. JMOI don't think anyone is saying it's stupid to pick DL. At least I'm not. But if you think one or a few guys are franchise type QB's, you have to look at that.

Extremebillsfan247
03-04-2011, 05:53 AM
I don't think anyone is saying it's stupid to pick DL. At least I'm not. But if you think one or a few guys are franchise type QB's, you have to look at that.
I don't totally disagree with Sully, I'm just not ready to say I would be comfortable with the Bills trusting the responsibility of a franchise QB label on a QB who only had one great year under his belt at Auburn however phenomenal it was. Even if we took Gabbert at 3 instead, the Bills are essentially saying he is the guy, win or lose for the next 8 to 10 years possibly. From any fan's perspective who has witnessed 10 plus years of non playoff football, that can be a pretty big leap of faith to get behind these QB prospects who have legitimate question marks looming over them. JMO

X-Era
03-04-2011, 06:10 AM
I don't totally disagree with Sully, I'm just not ready to say I would be comfortable with the Bills trusting the responsibility of a franchise QB label on a QB who only had one great year under his belt at Auburn however phenomenal it was. Even if we took Gabbert at 3 instead, the Bills are essentially saying he is the guy, win or lose for the next 8 to 10 years possibly. From any fan's perspective who has witnessed 10 plus years of non playoff football, that can be a pretty big leap of faith to get behind these QB prospects who have legitimate question marks looming over them. JMOIMO, we would be drafting a guy who looks like he can be molded into a top flight QB in the NFL. To me there is a piece here about the ability to develop. A guy like Gabbert may be a lot more likely than others due to his coach-ability, leadership, mechanics, and football IQ. Again, I think it's all levels of gray, not black and white.

I could see Gailey deciding that he thinks he can develop a guy into an NFL stud. So, when he goes shopping he looks for certain aspects of a prospect that he can work with, and probably also looks for things that he simply can't work with. Character may be at the forefront of the list.

In the end, I can see Gailey making an argument that a player has size, the arm strength, the mechanics, the football brains, the leadership, and good enough instincts that he feels he can make him into something special. And if he decides he has all that in a prospect, I think he would pull the trigger.

Some think NFL teams look for guys that play like an NFL QB right now. And while that may be the case every now and again, it isn't usually the situation. Rather, teams project what a prospect will become in the NFL, and realize it will take development to turn that player into that vision. It's all a matter of how much work it will take. Which equates to how far away they are.

Gabbert, IMO, just needs polish but isn't that far away. I think once he gets into a system like Gaileys that gives him many options but also gives him a structure for the progressions, he will quickly learn and adapt to it. I can see a guy like Gabbert excelling in a wide open system if he is coached to work within the system and make smart reads. I see no reason Gabbert won't do that. A great offensive mind and QB coach like Gailey could do wonders for a coach-able, smart and talented prospect like Gabbert.

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2011, 08:10 AM
it's a problem because there aren't any qb's worth the 3rd pick of the draft. lay off the dope thurm.

I don't agree with you. Maybe you are the pothead? :idunno:

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2011, 08:12 AM
IMO, we would be drafting a guy who looks like he can be molded into a top flight QB in the NFL. To me there is a piece here about the ability to develop. A guy like Gabbert may be a lot more likely than others due to his coach-ability, leadership, mechanics, and football IQ. Again, I think it's all levels of gray, not black and white.

I could see Gailey deciding that he thinks he can develop a guy into an NFL stud. So, when he goes shopping he looks for certain aspects of a prospect that he can work with, and probably also looks for things that he simply can't work with. Character may be at the forefront of the list.

In the end, I can see Gailey making an argument that a player has size, the arm strength, the mechanics, the football brains, the leadership, and good enough instincts that he feels he can make him into something special. And if he decides he has all that in a prospect, I think he would pull the trigger.

Some think NFL teams look for guys that play like an NFL QB right now. And while that may be the case every now and again, it isn't usually the situation. Rather, teams project what a prospect will become in the NFL, and realize it will take development to turn that player into that vision. It's all a matter of how much work it will take. Which equates to how far away they are.

Gabbert, IMO, just needs polish but isn't that far away. I think once he gets into a system like Gaileys that gives him many options but also gives him a structure for the progressions, he will quickly learn and adapt to it. I can see a guy like Gabbert excelling in a wide open system if he is coached to work within the system and make smart reads. I see no reason Gabbert won't do that. A great offensive mind and QB coach like Gailey could do wonders for a coach-able, smart and talented prospect like Gabbert.
I am fine with either QB that Gailey feels he can help succeed.

PTI
03-04-2011, 08:12 AM
I have not seen one mock that doesn't have at least one QB not taken in the top 10 picks. Maybe I have not seen enough of them though. If a QB is good enough to go #10, he is good enough to go #3 then.

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2011, 09:17 AM
I have not seen one mock that doesn't have at least one QB not taken in the top 10 picks. Maybe I have not seen enough of them though. If a QB is good enough to go #10, he is good enough to go #3 then.
Agreed! Most I see have at least 1 going in the top 6

Bill Cody
03-04-2011, 09:41 AM

I don't know if there are any QB's worth the 3rd pick. I don't know if there are any lineman either. And if you know tell me how you know so I can get smarter.

The Jokeman
03-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I am fine with either QB that Gailey feels he can help succeed.
Gailey's succeeded with guys like Kordell Stewart and Jay Fielder as his QBs, he doesn't need a Franchise QB.

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Gailey's succeeded with guys like Kordell Stewart and Jay Fielder as his QBs, he doesn't need a Franchise QB.
Oh he won SBs with Stewart and Fiedler?

T-Long
03-04-2011, 11:37 AM
As I've said before, I have no reason to doubt Buddy Nix or Doug Wahley. If they think Newton or Gabbert is a franchise caliber QB, YOU TAKE HIM. If they don't, I have no problem with them passing on one at #3 and going defense. As long as they take a QB in Round 2 (Andy Dalton) at pick #34.

justasportsfan
03-04-2011, 11:41 AM
he doesn't need a Franchise QB.

yes he does.

better days
03-04-2011, 11:42 AM
As I've said before, I have no reason to doubt Buddy Nix or Doug Wahley. If they think Newton or Gabbert is a franchise caliber QB, YOU TAKE HIM. If they don't, I have no problem with them passing on one at #3 and going defense. As long as they take a QB in Round 2 (Andy Dalton) at pick #34.

I was going to thank this post until I read Dalton in the 2nd. If there are no better QB's than Dalton to be had in the 2nd, I would rather they draft defense there.

The Jokeman
03-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Oh he won SBs with Stewart and Fiedler?
No but he didn't win a SB with Troy Aikman either.

Bill Cody
03-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Jerry Sullivan being for Newton at 3 is the best reason I've seen so far against Newton at 3. Sullivan was probably one of those kids that got picked on in grammar school by the athletes and now he's getting his revenge.

I remember writing to him a bunch of years ago asking him what his qualifications were to speak with such "authority" about the Bills and he got really angry in his response and basically said he watches all the games and he pays attention. I wrote back and told him so do I, so the **** what?

T-Long
03-04-2011, 03:19 PM
I was going to thank this post until I read Dalton in the 2nd. If there are no better QB's than Dalton to be had in the 2nd, I would rather they draft defense there.
Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Mallet will prob all be gone in round 1. Round 2 would be the likes of Dalton, Ponder, Kapernick. Which one would you rather have? Ponder or Kapernick?

better days
03-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Mallet will prob all be gone in round 1. Round 2 would be the likes of Dalton, Ponder, Kapernick. Which one would you rather have? Ponder or Kapernick?

Most likely Ponder. Clayton now has him ahead of Locker who he has been pimping since last year to go to Seattle.

SABURZFAN
03-04-2011, 04:29 PM
i wish jerry sullivan would move to africa.

they have enough problems. another planet would be better.

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2011, 04:42 PM
No but he didn't win a SB with Troy Aikman either.
At the end of Aikmans career.

WHAT NOW?

better days
03-04-2011, 05:10 PM
At the end of Aikmans career.

WHAT NOW?

As well as the end of career of most of the Cowboys that did win the Super Bowl.

Bangarang
03-04-2011, 10:51 PM
There are conflicting reports about how well Newton did in his interviews and on the white board at the combine.

A high-ranking NFL source countered what NFLDraftScout.com and others had reported earlier in the week that Auburn QB Cam Newton, the 11th ranked prospect by CBSSports.com, "struggled" in team interviews conducted at the Combine.

"I think that is an example of a team trying to knock the kid down," the source said. "I can tell you right now, he was very likable with us. He answered every question we had about his off-field stuff and did a great job on the white board."

I pointed out that Newton could do well in his team's interview and then struggle in another (or several), but the source referred to specific questions asked and that the offensive coaches in the meeting later characterized Newton's answers as "perfect."

"He knew where to go with the football against different schemes, where his hot read was..." the source explained. "[Newton] did it quickly and with confidence. I wasn't in the other teams' meetings, so I don't know what they asked or how he answered, obviously. I can't imagine that kid 'struggling,' though, in that kind of setting."

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27740922

better days
03-04-2011, 11:39 PM
There are conflicting reports about how well Newton did in his interviews and on the white board at the combine.

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27740922

Yeah, he claims some teams are trying to knock Newton down, well maybe he is just trying to build Newton up so a player will fall to his team that would not have if Newton was not drafted before his team picked.

What other reason would any team have to build a player up?