Rookie Pay Scale lead to quicker cuts of busts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloBlitz83
    We play to win the game!
    • Oct 2009

Rookie Pay Scale lead to quicker cuts of busts?

Future Jamarcus Russel's, JP Losman's, Aaron Maybin's, Robert Gallery's, Charles Roger's, Mike William's, Erik Flower's, Toy Williamson, Courtney Brown's, Dewayne robertson's, Vernon Gholston's.

Less money paid lead to quicker cuts?
  • STRONG_BAD
    • Dec 2006

Re: Rookie Pay Scale lead to quicker cuts of busts?

Originally posted by BuffaloBlitz83
    Future Jamarcus Russel's, JP Losman's, Aaron Maybin's, Robert Gallery's, Charles Roger's, Mike William's, Erik Flower's, Toy Williamson, Courtney Brown's, Dewayne robertson's, Vernon Gholston's.

The other option is teams may be more patient letting players develop, since they don't have huge salaries.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
      We play to win the game!
      • Oct 2009

Also I think teams will reach more on potential Franchise QB's. Lower salary if guy turns out to be a bust

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
        Will not tolerate vandalism.
        • Apr 2006

I think it'll be the opposite.

Long-term, big-money contracts won't be the norm and won't be so tempting to drop. Players at the top of the draft will be more willing and able to stick around if they don't have the inflated contract as a starting point.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Also I think teams will reach more on potential Franchise QB's. Lower salary if guy turns out to be a bust
          Yeah, I think Strong Bad & you are both right. Teams won't have as much at risk by taking a chance on a guy with potential & can give him time to develop. If on the other hand a guy is bad news or the team decides he doesn't have it, they can cut ties in a hurry.

Comment

• Raptor
            • Jan 2009

with a rookie pay scale your likely going to have shorter rookie contracts so its going to make these teams find out what they have a lot earlier and developing a QB a lil more difficult

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Raptor
              with a rookie pay scale your likely going to have shorter rookie contracts so its going to make these teams find out what they have a lot earlier and developing a QB a lil more difficult
              There will most likely be restrictions that teams can place on players to keep them if they want. Such as the restricted FA that is in place now but it may end a year sooner.

If the rookie contract is shortened, they may put in a clause that the contract can be extended if both parties agree or lacking that clause, if a guy is still developing & both team & player are happy they will just have to reach agreement on a new contract.

If the Rookie contract is 4 years you will probably see teams sign the player to an extension after the 3rd year if they want to keep him.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                • Sep 2003

I believe there will be a rookie wage scale but the max number of years of their initial contract will be 4 years. No more 5 and 6 year deals for rookies.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                  • Sep 2008

I think it will lead to less pressure on NFL teams which would make taking risks on draft picks like these easier. As far as quicker cuts go, I don't think that will happen. Teams are just not cutting a first round selection after 2 or 3 seasons in the league. On average, most first rounders last between 4 and 6 years with their respective teams before moving on to another. On rare occasions it happens in less time, but it's rare. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Comment

• bflojohn
                    • Aug 2005

I think the wage scale takes the pressure off the teams and players drafted. GM's were aging like Presidents of the United States! Spending $50 million of your owners money and justifying the pick was simply problematic, in a lot of cases. It sure takes anxiety out of the picture, and allows for a positive period in the offseason, for a change. The pressure will still be found in unrestricted free agency prior to the draft in March.

Comment

Working...
                    X