PDA

View Full Version : Gabbert at #3?

Bangarang
03-06-2011, 03:02 PM
3. Buffalo Bills
Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
Some will say Ryan Fitzpatrick is just fine, and that might be true, but you never pass on a franchise quarterback. Gabbert would not have to play right away, which is ideal. Still, with Tom Brady and Mark Sanchez in the division, it might be time to get a talented youngster for the position. This could turn into the spot Cam Newton goes, but I will go with things I heard at the combine at this point. If teams like San Francisco or Washington want a QB they might have to move up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e918d4/article/initial-look-has-gabbert-newton-off-board-in-first-four-picks

The part about "things I heard at the combine" could be a smoke screen. However, Nix has been pretty open about things so far. With word about Gabbert impressing so much during interviews and on the white board, perhaps this is our guy at #3?

TacklingDummy
03-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Hope not. I'd like to see the Bills be a consistent winner within the next 5 years.

Bangarang
03-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Hope not. I'd like to see the Bills be a consistent winner within the next 5 years.

A QB could help get things going.

TacklingDummy
03-06-2011, 03:18 PM
A QB could help get things going.
And the wrong QB could set the Bills back another 5 years.

Commissioner
03-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Gabbert is a future pro bowler. I hope we get him.

Bangarang
03-06-2011, 03:46 PM

The wrong player at #3 regardless of position could set the Bills back another 5 years.

tampabay25690
03-06-2011, 03:57 PM
The Can't miss guy is PATRICK PETERSON if he is there...
The best part about having a top 5 pick this year is there will probably be a wage scale for the rookies.......If that is the case you take a chance on a QB at #3 this year...Im just sayin........

ParanoidAndroid
03-06-2011, 03:57 PM
So why not make a safer pick? Why take a chance with the #3 pick?

FlyingDutchman
03-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Gabbert is a future pro bowler. I hope we get him.

why? what makes you say that? at what point during the last 2 years did you watch gabbert and say damn i hope the bills get him, hes going to be great....I dont get this infatuation with Gabbert people have

kelly2reed4six
03-06-2011, 04:50 PM

so lets just never draft a QB then and suck forever.

BertSquirtgum
03-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Just in case the Bills are dumb enough to draft Gabbert at 3, i will have a bottle of a bottle of pain killers next me during the draft and swallow them them if by chance Gabbert is drafted by the Bills.

Prov401
03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
I'd be pissed if the Bills drafted goldie locks at 3. When the hell was the last time the Bills had a first round pick make a big impact his rookie season? We can't keep wishing upon stars and drafting 'potential' with our first rounders. We need to hit a home run this year, and draft a sure bet starter from day 1. Dareus, Peterson, or Bowers would excite the hell out of me. Show us you know what your doing Nix.

PTI
03-06-2011, 06:27 PM
So why not make a safer pick? Why take a chance with the #3 pick?

You draft high because you stunk. Bills are much better served to take the guy with the highest ceiling at the position in football of greatest responsibility. It makes complete sense to not take the safe pick, how often will the Bills be picking #3? I hope not too often.

ParanoidAndroid
03-06-2011, 07:56 PM
The point is that there is no way Gabbert is anywhere near worth the #3 overall pick just because he's a QB. This QB class is weak and Gabbert would not be even considered until the 3rd round in most years.

X-Era
03-06-2011, 07:58 PM
The point is that there is no way Gabbert is anywhere near worth the #3 overall pick just because he's a QB. This QB class is weak and Gabbert would not be even considered until the 3rd round in most years.Totally disagree. Gabbert would be a 1st round pick in most drafts IMO.

DraftBoy
03-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Totally disagree. Gabbert would be a 1st round pick in most drafts IMO.

Yes but in very very few drafts (if any) would he be considered top 5 or even top 10.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-06-2011, 08:29 PM
The point is that there is no way Gabbert is anywhere near worth the #3 overall pick just because he's a QB. This QB class is weak and Gabbert would not be even considered until the 3rd round in most years.

PURE and TOTAL conjecture. you have NO way of knowing this. you are completley GUESSING. so please do not try and sound like you KNOW this is a fact cause it is NOT

superbills
03-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Yes but in very very few drafts (if any) would he be considered top 5 or even top 10.

See, that's what bugs me about draft position and pick value. So, if the Bills had won a few more games last year and were picking, say, 13th, picking Gabbert wouldn't seem like such of a stretch? THe point I'm trying to make is, if Gabbert is your guy you have 3 options...
1) go get him with the pick you have, which in our case happens to be 3...
2)Hope to find a trade partner and trade down...
3) If you can't find a trade parter pray that he drops to the second round.

So, if we assume for a second that Buffalo cannot get a trade parter to get out of the 3-spot, then that leaves options 1 and 3. And since all of the speculation is that Gabbert is a first-round talent, then he likely won't last until round 2. Which, leaves us back at option 1.

Look, I'm not trying to make a case that Gabbert should definitely be our guy or anything. I'm not sold on him either. But I'm not there talking to him. I'm not the one evaluating him. If the Bills think that he is their QB of the future, they have no choice but to take him at 3, again, assuming that they have no options to move down. You pick where you get slotted. Whether it's 3, 13 , or 23 you go get your guy. You had just better be right ;)

PTI
03-06-2011, 09:00 PM
See, that's what bugs me about draft position and pick value. So, if the Bills had won a few more games last year and were picking, say, 13th, picking Gabbert wouldn't seem like such of a stretch? THe point I'm trying to make is, if Gabbert is your guy you have 3 options...

So, if we assume for a second that Buffalo cannot get a trade parter to get out of the 3-spot, then that leaves options 1 and 3. And since all of the speculation is that Gabbert is a first-round talent, then he likely won't last until round 2. Which, leaves us back at option 1.

Look, I'm not trying to make a case that Gabbert should definitely be our guy or anything. I'm not sold on him either. But I'm not there talking to him. I'm not the one evaluating him. If the Bills think that he is their QB of the future, they have no choice but to take him at 3, again, assuming that they have no options to move down. You pick where you get slotted. Whether it's 3, 13 , or 23 you go get your guy. You had just better be right ;)

Ultra solid response here. Bills just really need to hit on the pick.

THATHURMANATOR
03-06-2011, 10:56 PM
3rd round? SERIOUSLY?????

THATHURMANATOR
03-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Yes but in very very few drafts (if any) would he be considered top 5 or even top 10. But he is in this one, which is the only one that matters at this point.....

X-Era
03-07-2011, 06:07 AM
Ultra solid response here. Bills just really need to hit on the pick.On that we agree.

X-Era
03-07-2011, 06:10 AM
Yes but in very very few drafts (if any) would he be considered top 5 or even top 10.If Luck had declared, I could see him going #1 and either Cam or Gabbert still going top 10. There are several teams that need a QB. I think we agree that the position is often over-drafted. And in that regard, I would see any draft being similar.

My only point is this. If you need one, and everyone over-drafts them, you pretty much have to follow suit.

alohabillsfan
03-07-2011, 06:16 AM
What we need is a solid defense and need to use alot of picks to get there. Fortunately this draft is fairley deep at DE and ILB's can be had in rounds 3 and 4 where we have 3 picks. We also need a young CB and SS. Again not knowing about FA, I would not mind something like
1)DE
2) CB
3)ILB
4a) SS
4b) NT

DraftBoy
03-07-2011, 07:29 AM
But he is in this one, which is the only one that matters at this point.....

That's the mentality that gets GM's fired. Its never about just this draft, or this offseason. You need to have a long term plan not a short term one.

The short term plan is the way we were drafting under previous regimes that led us to guys like Maybin, Losman, etc.

Its the mentality well we need X,Y, and Z so lets take X,Y, and Z here despite their talent levels and whoever else may be available.

DraftBoy
03-07-2011, 07:31 AM
If Luck had declared, I could see him going #1 and either Cam or Gabbert still going top 10. There are several teams that need a QB. I think we agree that the position is often over-drafted. And in that regard, I would see any draft being similar.

My only point is this. If you need one, and everyone over-drafts them, you pretty much have to follow suit.

Over drafting is a horrific mistake and something I would never follow suit on.

Neither Newton or Gabbert are top ten picks value wise and its not out of the question to wonder if they are first round picks value wise. I know some scouts don't have him as a 1st on their boards.

DraftBoy
03-07-2011, 07:32 AM

No it would still be a stretch. The idea that this kid is a top 10 value (or even top 15 in my opinion) is not the case. He's just not that good, hasn't proven enough in school and only came out because this QB class absolutely sucks.

X-Era
03-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Over drafting is a horrific mistake and something I would never follow suit on.

Neither Newton or Gabbert are top ten picks value wise and its not out of the question to wonder if they are first round picks value wise. I know some scouts don't have him as a 1st on their boards.I understand what you're saying. I have a higher grade on Gabbert and possibly Newton. I see more like mid 1st for Gabbert, possibly for Newton depending on what comes out of the character questions. But that's me.

Bill Cody
03-07-2011, 09:49 AM
I have a higher grade on Gabbert and possibly Newton.

:snicker2:

ParanoidAndroid
03-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Totally disagree. Gabbert would be a 1st round pick in most drafts IMO.

I just don't see it that way. I don't think he's much better of a prospect than Edwards was.

Extremebillsfan247
03-07-2011, 08:39 PM
So why not make a safer pick? Why take a chance with the #3 pick?In my opinion there's no such thing as a safe pick in the draft. No matter who you select with the #3 pick, your still taking a chance no matter how bullet proof that draftee might look.