PDA

View Full Version : Has Op FAILED??

THATHURMANATOR
03-06-2011, 08:17 PM
:idunno:

OpIv37
03-06-2011, 08:20 PM
why is there a thread about me in the Sabres Zone?

Ebenezer
03-06-2011, 08:22 PM
why is there a thread about me in the Sabres Zone?
Would you prefer one in every single zone where you post?

OpIv37
03-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Would you prefer one in every single zone where you post?

no, I would prefer discussing the team instead of people taking out their frustrations with the team on me because they don't like the way I characterized the game. It's shooting the messenger.

OpIv37
03-06-2011, 08:24 PM
btw I voted Yes.

Ebenezer
03-06-2011, 08:26 PM
no, I would prefer discussing the team instead of people taking out their frustrations with the team on me because they don't like the way I characterized the game. It's shooting the messenger.
In case you haven't noticed you're the one with the frustrations.

OpIv37
03-06-2011, 08:36 PM
In case you haven't noticed you're the one with the frustrations.

If we're all fans of the team, why am I the only one with frustrations when we lose a game that would have gotten us into the final playoff spot?

Everyone was so intent on criticizing me for saying the team didn't show up that they lost sight of the fact that the team lost the game.

Ebenezer
03-06-2011, 08:39 PM
If we're all fans of the team, why am I the only one with frustrations when we lose a game that would have gotten us into the final playoff spot?

Everyone was so intent on criticizing me for saying the team didn't show up that they lost sight of the fact that the team lost the game.
That's really your interpretation of the events and the thoughts of those that were posting against you??

OpIv37
03-06-2011, 08:45 PM
That's really your interpretation of the events and the thoughts of those that were posting against you??

we lost the game.

Nothing that I say can change that. Nothing in the responses of those posting against me can change that. If they disagree with the fact that I said we didn't show up or don't think I was qualified to comment since I couldn't watch the game, fine- that's their right.

But at the end of the day, we still lost an important game.

Ebenezer
03-06-2011, 08:46 PM
we lost the game.

Nothing that I say can change that. Nothing in the responses of those posting against me can change that. If they disagree with the fact that I said we didn't show up or don't think I was qualified to comment since I couldn't the game, fine- that's their right.

But at the end of the day, we still lost an important game.
Most of the posting against you had nothing to do with the game...you still don't get that. You really did fail.

OpIv37
03-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Most of the posting against you had nothing to do with the game...you still don't get that. You really did fail.

I come here to discuss sports, not get lectured about my attitude or learn life lessons.

chernobylwraiths
03-07-2011, 06:04 AM
I come here to discuss sports, not get lectured about my attitude or learn life lessons.

It's fine to discuss sports. But you can only have a theoretical conversation about a game that you don't actually watch. Granted in many cases you might be right about a Sabres team that loses a close important game to a team that they are fighting for a playoff spot with, but this game was NOT the case. The point when you said you didn't watch the game when people were giving the Sabres credit for playing a pretty good game was the time when you should have stood back and reassessed things. We were ALL frustrated by the loss, but somewhat encouraged by the fact that they played well. Nothing wrong with you being frustrated. Just direct your anger in the right direction, at your frustration or at what really happened. But to direct your frustration at what you perceived to be the problem without really knowing for sure if you are right or not is irrational.

I am optimistic with how the team is playing, but a little worried that they keep blowing leads and having to go so many games beyond regulation to establish a winner.

By the way, as has also been pointed out, there are many times that the "better team" doesn't win a game. There have been many times that the better team hasn't won a playoff series or even a Stanley Cup. I believe that the year Buffalo beat Ottawa in the playoffs, the Senators were the better team and for the most part, played better. Buffalo got a little lucky and had the better goalie in that series.

hydro
03-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Why do you have a thread about you in the Sabres Zone? Because everyone wants you too see the light. We are fans just the same as you yet we seem to actually get some enjoyment out of it when the team is playing good. You on the other hand harp on the negative and stay reserved to the fact that this team has always let you down so you don't want to put yourself on the line.

And can we stop with the bull**** that a fan has to be a critic?

Definition: Fanatic (FAN) -
a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal, as in religion or politics.

Ebenezer
03-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Op, I think it comes down to this. We are fans. We point out stuff that the teams does wrong. We choose not to dwell >95% of the time on the negatives.

Dude
03-07-2011, 07:42 AM
I didn't see the game, but I'd have to say that Op's performance qualified as a fail.

OpIv37
03-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Op, I think it comes down to this. We are fans. We point out stuff that the teams does wrong. We choose not to dwell >95% of the time on the negatives.
Yet, our teams aren't good, so >95% of the time, there is more negative than positive. You can choose not to dwell on it, but the reality is that it's still there.

Honestly, at the deadline many of you were ready to break this team down and start over. Now, we win 5 games and suddenly forget the last 3 1/2 years?

THATHURMANATOR
03-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Yet, our teams aren't good, so >95% of the time, there is more negative than positive. You can choose not to dwell on it, but the reality is that it's still there.

Honestly, at the deadline many of you were ready to break this team down and start over. Now, we win 5 games and suddenly forget the last 3 1/2 years?
-

Ebenezer
03-07-2011, 10:10 AM

you still don't ****ing get it...we are not idiots. we know the faults. we know the blemishes. we try to enjoy the teams regardless...you just *****.

Get over yourself. You really aren't that important in the grand scheme. I've worked around people like you for the last 20 years. Managers put pressure on people like you so that you quit because they have no legal foundation to fire them. Even in good times you can't enjoy the ride.

OpIv37
03-07-2011, 10:17 AM
you still don't ****ing get it...we are not idiots. we know the faults. we know the blemishes. we try to enjoy the teams regardless...you just *****.

You're right- I don't get it. I don't get why anyone would force themselves to enjoy somethin that's not enjoyable by ignoring reality. If the teams are bad, they're bad. Oh well. Accept it and find something else to enjoy.

As far as getting over myself, what a ridiculous comment. I keep trying to discuss the team, but you guys keep making it about me. I don't need to get over myself- you guys need to get over me and get over the fact that this team isn't as good as we'd like them to be.

G Wolly
03-07-2011, 10:26 AM
You're right- I don't get it. I don't get why anyone would force themselves to enjoy somethin that's not enjoyable by ignoring reality. If the teams are bad, they're bad. Oh well. Accept it and find something else to enjoy.

As far as getting over myself, what a ridiculous comment. I keep trying to discuss the team, but you guys keep making it about me. I don't need to get over myself- you guys need to get over me and get over the fact that this team isn't as good as we'd like them to be.

You're not discussing the team, you're overreacting about a loss that happened on Thursday and won't admit it.

Since your rant we won 2 games and made it into 8th place, and as of yesterday gained 7 out of 8 points on the road.

But I'm sure you'll still be hanging on and defending yourself even if we finish in 6th place.

No one is "ignoring reality" the rational ones realize that we got a point out of it, and there's still 17 games left to play before we should really be upset.

Even the best hockey teams lose sometimes, it's a fact. There's no use in dwelling over one game that wasn't that horrible anyway.

THATHURMANATOR
03-07-2011, 10:34 AM

Get over yourself.. You Failed...

We still love you though.

OpIv37
03-07-2011, 11:07 AM
You're not discussing the team, you're overreacting about a loss that happened on Thursday and won't admit it.

Since your rant we won 2 games and made it into 8th place, and as of yesterday gained 7 out of 8 points on the road.

But I'm sure you'll still be hanging on and defending yourself even if we finish in 6th place.

No one is "ignoring reality" the rational ones realize that we got a point out of it, and there's still 17 games left to play before we should really be upset.

Even the best hockey teams lose sometimes, it's a fact. There's no use in dwelling over one game that wasn't that horrible anyway.

It's easy to call it an "overreaction" in hindsight, knowing that we won the next two games.

But what happened on Thursday was yet another big game for the Sabres where they failed to secure a victory. It's completely rational to be frustrated and concerned when the team continues to exhibit the same problems they've had for years.

G Wolly
03-07-2011, 11:14 AM
It's easy to call it an "overreaction" in hindsight, knowing that we won the next two games.

But what happened on Thursday was yet another big game for the Sabres where they failed to secure a victory. It's completely rational to be frustrated and concerned when the team continues to exhibit the same problems they've had for years.

Exactly. We won the next 2 games.

I get your point.

But it's moot now. The NHL, and sports in general, have up and down seasons. Look at Toronto. Before January, they were horrible. Since the new year, they've been playing better and are also contending for a playoff spot.

Again I say. I understand your frustration and your view on that game.

But it was ONE GAME. ONE. GAME. That happened 4 days ago that we DID gain a point which helped us to jump past Carolina with a win yesterday.

Please save your "I Told you so's" for the end of the season.

OpIv37
03-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Please save your "I Told you so's" for the end of the season.

and see, that's exactly what always happens.

Whenever I say stuff like this about the Bills or Sabres, people can't wait to tell me how I'm wrong or how I'm overreacting.

But then when it's all over, it turns out the teams fell flat once again. I never come back for the "I told you so's though," because I can't take glory in losing just to prove that I'm right to people on a message board.

G Wolly
03-07-2011, 11:20 AM
because I can't take glory in losing just to prove that I'm right to people on a message board.

That's exactly what you're doing right now.

Say we finish in 6th place and make the playoffs.

Will that game really bother you as much?

Whenever I say stuff like this about the Bills or Sabres, people can't wait to tell me how I'm wrong or how I'm overreacting.

Kind of how you can't wait to tear apart the team for losing in OT and gaining a point with almost a month worth of games left to play.

OpIv37
03-07-2011, 11:30 AM
Losing in OT is still losing, and having a month's worth of games to play is not an excuse to lose.

hydro
03-07-2011, 11:43 AM
How do you get enjoyment out of following sports Op? Does pointing out every fault in a team on a message board fun? I just don't understand it. I don't think I have ever seen you post something on this message board that would allude to you enjoying your favorite team. Everything is "WIN WIN WIN if they aren't WINNING then its a complete and utter failure. I won't stand for it!"

No matter how many times you post on this board about how the team doesn't do something right it isn't going to hold the team accountable. They have no idea you exist.

THATHURMANATOR
03-07-2011, 11:49 AM
How do you get enjoyment out of following sports Op? Does pointing out every fault in a team on a message board fun? I just don't understand it. I don't think I have ever seen you post something on this message board that would allude to you enjoying your favorite team. Everything is "WIN WIN WIN if they aren't WINNING then its a complete and utter failure. I won't stand for it!"

No matter how many times you post on this board about how the team doesn't do something right it isn't going to hold the team accountable. They have no idea you exist.
Would you agree that OP has failed?

hydro
03-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Would you agree that OP has failed?

But of course!

G Wolly
03-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Losing in OT is still losing, and having a month's worth of games to play is not an excuse to lose.

No one's disputing that a loss is a loss.

However, this loss did gain us a point, regardless of it being a loss. It's not based on Wins/Losses, and losing in OT benefits us more than regulation loss.

However, knowing how inconsistent teams can be, especially our Sabres, doesn't mean you have to blow up after a loss like that.

Ebenezer
03-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Op, it is not losing a game, or a couple of games or a week's worth of games. People are having a problem with your attitude. If this team was to go 62-20, you'd find fault with the 20 games, nitpicking every negative - even knowing that that was the best NHL record ever! Then if they went 72-10 you'd still complain. (Being hyperbolic) You'd ***** if this team went 82-0 and didn't win every game by a shutout. That is what people are trying to point out to you. Attitude - not discussion topics. You still are not getting that.

Ebenezer
03-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Op, it is not losing a game, or a couple of games or a week's worth of games. People are having a problem with your attitude. If this team was to go 62-20, you'd find fault with the 20 games, nitpicking every negative - even knowing that that was the best NHL record ever! Then if they went 72-10 you'd still complain. (Being hyperbolic) You'd ***** if this team went 82-0 and didn't win every game by a shutout. That is what people are trying to point out to you. Attitude - not discussion topics. You still are not getting that.

Op, did you even make one post about the weekend? If you did it got lost in all of your other posts. They took 4 of 4 points and looked good doing it. Did you enjoy it in the least? Can you at least congratulate them and acknowledge that they were impressive and are in control of their own destiny?

helmetguy
03-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Op, did you even make one post about the weekend? If you did it got lost in all of your other posts. They took 4 of 4 points and looked good doing it. Did you enjoy it in the least? Can you at least congratulate them and acknowledge that they were impressive and are in control of their own destiny?

He, um, didn't see the games, but they still showed their true colors by giving up five goals in two games. Shameful! EPIC FAIL! This team just isn't good enough EVER! ANYONE could have beaten Philly! Hell, the RAGS hung seven on them...

Nighthawk
03-07-2011, 06:47 PM
I have a question, does OP fail if the Sabres lose yesterday after blowing another 2 goal lead? I'm just saying, relax everybody, hindsight is a great thing, but looking at what might have been makes things even clearer.

Also, I really don't think anybody should have threads started about their posting...it's kind of childish and uncalled for. So ***** about OP's negativity all you want, but somebody just started a post about him...which is more juvenile? Tough call...

THATHURMANATOR
03-07-2011, 06:56 PM
I have a question, does OP fail if the Sabres lose yesterday after blowing another 2 goal lead? I'm just saying, relax everybody, hindsight is a great thing, but looking at what might have been makes things even clearer.

Also, I really don't think anybody should have threads started about their posting...it's kind of childish and uncalled for. So ***** about OP's negativity all you want, but somebody just started a post about him...which is more juvenile? Tough call...
Don't you bring me into this.....

Nighthawk
03-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Don't you bring me into this.....

Thurm, ya know I love ya, but I don't agree with you starting a thread about another poster. Just isn't cool...IMO.

THATHURMANATOR
03-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Thurm, ya know I love ya, but I don't agree with you starting a thread about another poster. Just isn't cool...IMO.
Oh it was just joking around man! :hi5:

Without Op this place would be boring...

Nighthawk
03-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Oh it was just joking around man! :hi5:

Without Op this place would be boring...

I got it, but if you noticed, not everybody who posted in the thread understood that...but no biggie, just sharing my two cents. :cheers:

camelcowboy
03-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Im on team op, this team has done nothing but land a rich owner. They have a quarter of a season to blow it. This includes a hurricane team they should beaten and they play 3 more times. That blown point can be costly.

casdhf
03-07-2011, 08:07 PM
It's fine to discuss sports. But you can only have a theoretical conversation about a game that you don't actually watch. Granted in many cases you might be right about a Sabres team that loses a close important game to a team that they are fighting for a playoff spot with, but this game was NOT the case. The point when you said you didn't watch the game when people were giving the Sabres credit for playing a pretty good game was the time when you should have stood back and reassessed things. We were ALL frustrated by the loss, but somewhat encouraged by the fact that they played well. Nothing wrong with you being frustrated. Just direct your anger in the right direction, at your frustration or at what really happened. But to direct your frustration at what you perceived to be the problem without really knowing for sure if you are right or not is irrational.

I am optimistic with how the team is playing, but a little worried that they keep blowing leads and having to go so many games beyond regulation to establish a winner.

By the way, as has also been pointed out, there are many times that the "better team" doesn't win a game. There have been many times that the better team hasn't won a playoff series or even a Stanley Cup. I believe that the year Buffalo beat Ottawa in the playoffs, the Senators were the better team and for the most part, played better. Buffalo got a little lucky and had the better goalie in that series.

Bufftp
03-07-2011, 09:13 PM
How do you get enjoyment out of following sports Op? Does pointing out every fault in a team on a message board fun? Fun? It's why he keeps a box of tissues by his computer.

OpIv37
03-07-2011, 10:09 PM

That's presumption because other than the President's Cup year, and a surprise playoff year the season before, this team hasn't been very good lately. And the Bills have been better or worse.

Did I complain during the President's Cup year? Yes. What happened? The things I complained about got us knocked out of the playoffs.

Did I complain when the Bills were 5-2 in 2008? Yes. What happened? Epic choke job to 7-9 finish.

So maybe, just maybe, there is some substance behind my complaints. My attitude is to be realistic. If reality sucks, oh well. Nothing I can do about it and no point in ignoring it, because it catches up with you eventually.

OpIv37
03-07-2011, 10:13 PM

No, I didn't. I was at a friend's wedding in Roch on Sat so I missed the entire game, and driving home in that wet, snowy cluster**** on Sunday, so I only saw the last 10 min and OT.

I'd love to say that they were impressive, but I got chewed out the last time I tried to talk about a game I didn't watch. But it would have been an interesting social experiment to see if I received the same level of criticism for saying good things about a game I didn't watch as I got for saying bad things about a game I didn't watch.

OpIv37
03-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Losing is never fun or enjoyable. Pointing out faults isn't fun. But if that's the reality, so be it. I think that's the difference between me and a lot of you. I'm willing to accept it for what it is, and many of you want to enjoy it so bad that you're willing to overlook some things that I'm not. I'm not going to try to say that one is right or wrong, because some people look at sports as something that's enjoyable and some people prefer to be more analytical. It's just a different approach.

I'd probably enjoy it a lot more if I was just a neutral fan with no team preference, but I grew up with the Bills and while I wasn't as big a Sabres fan when I was younger, I grew up following the Amerks and watching the guys as they went on to the Sabres. It's in my blood.

And yes, I know the team doesn't care what I say and doesn't know I exist, but the message board is for discussing the team, so if something isn't right, I'm going to say it.

Crisis
03-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Sounds like Op failed pretty hard

G Wolly
03-08-2011, 12:26 AM
And yes, I know the team doesn't care what I say and doesn't know I exist, but the message board is for discussing the team, so if something isn't right, I'm going to say it.

There's still a difference to pointing out flaws of a team, and condemning that team for losing a game in OT, which you keep straying from.

I don't think anyone is questioning your ability to point out flaws.

We're trying to say that your reaction and anger towards the result of the Hurricanes game would be better reserved for another point in time.

That's what I'm saying, at least.

THATHURMANATOR
03-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Sounds like Op failed pretty hard
He really did. He failed 16-2

psubills62
03-08-2011, 08:27 AM
That's presumption because other than the President's Cup year, and a surprise playoff year the season before, this team hasn't been very good lately. And the Bills have been better or worse.

Way to "throw things out" when it isn't convenient for you. That's usually the sort of thing you jump all over other people for.

SabreEleven
03-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Op has failed if the Sabres make the playoffs. It's that simple in my eye's.

THATHURMANATOR
03-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Op has failed if the Sabres make the playoffs. It's that simple in my eye's.
Yep. Must suck to root against your own team.....

OpIv37
03-08-2011, 09:14 AM
There's still a difference to pointing out flaws of a team, and condemning that team for losing a game in OT, which you keep straying from.

I don't think anyone is questioning your ability to point out flaws.

We're trying to say that your reaction and anger towards the result of the Hurricanes game would be better reserved for another point in time.

That's what I'm saying, at least.
What is wrong with condemning the team for a loss? I can't understand why any fan of the team would have a problem with that.

hydro
03-08-2011, 10:30 AM
What is wrong with condemning the team for a loss? I can't understand why any fan of the team would have a problem with that.

Because that is all you are programmed to do. That is all you post about because it is like shooting fish in a barrel.

"Hey we lost again now I can post the obvious on the billszone for the billionth time"

OpIv37
03-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Because that is all you are programmed to do. That is all you post about because it is like shooting fish in a barrel.

"Hey we lost again now I can post the obvious on the billszone for the billionth time"

Huh? The message board is devoted to the team, the team keeps losing. We'll stop talking about the team losing when the team stops losing.

And if what I say is so obvious (and I agree a lot of it is), why the hell do so many people argue with me so intensely? Think about that for a second.

Ebenezer
03-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Huh? The message board is devoted to the team, the team keeps losing. We'll stop talking about the team losing when the team stops losing.

And if what I say is so obvious (and I agree a lot of it is), why the hell do so many people argue with me so intensely? Think about that for a second.
You still don't get it...let me sum:

1. It's not the right to complain - it's the way and volume at which you complain. It's called attitude. You say we'll stop talking about the losing when they stop losing. They are the second best team in the league since Roy's injury. Get over it already.

2. We don't want you to stop we want you to tame it a little. It's not the world's greatest party but it's a pretty decent party. You're the kid in the corner crying because they don't have pigs in a blanket. Just simmer it a bit.

If you don't understand it now I can't help you.

OpIv37
03-08-2011, 11:23 AM
You still don't get it...let me sum:

1. It's not the right to complain - it's the way and volume at which you complain. It's called attitude. You say we'll stop talking about the losing when they stop losing. They are the second best team in the league since Roy's injury. Get over it already.

2. We don't want you to stop we want you to tame it a little. It's not the world's greatest party but it's a pretty decent party. You're the kid in the corner crying because they don't have pigs in a blanket. Just simmer it a bit.

If you don't understand it now I can't help you.

1. They're still barely clinging to the last playoff spot. So far, being the 2nd best team in the league has only gotten them into 8th place because they were so ****ing bad before that.

2. I don't know how I can be crying in the corner when the party hasn't started yet. The party doesn't start until we at least make the playoffs. We're not talking about the Bills here. We're talking about a team that is less than 4 years removed from consecutive conference finals runs and less than 1 year removed from being division champs. The standards have to be higher than just two good months of regular season play.

Ebenezer
03-08-2011, 11:28 AM
1. They're still barely clinging to the last playoff spot. So far, being the 2nd best team in the league has only gotten them into 8th place because they were so ****ing bad before that.

2. I don't know how I can be crying in the corner when the party hasn't started yet. The party doesn't start until we at least make the playoffs. We're not talking about the Bills here. We're talking about a team that is less than 4 years removed from consecutive conference finals runs and less than 1 year removed from being division champs. The standards have to be higher than just two good months of regular season play.
Yup. Can't help you.

G Wolly
03-08-2011, 12:17 PM

To me condemning is appropriate in a blow out. Where absolutely NO one shows up to play, we get out muscled, out shot, out scored, out played in EVERY aspect.

Sure, Miller's head was up his ass on the first 2 goals and that game shouldn't have went to over time.

But the fact is that aside from Miller's two ****-ups, we hung with them all game.

There's a reason they play 82 games, things can change from game to game, that's the reality of things, so this OVERTIME loss isn't as bad as you claim, and apparently want, it to be.

OpIv37
03-08-2011, 01:15 PM
To me condemning is appropriate in a blow out. Where absolutely NO one shows up to play, we get out muscled, out shot, out scored, out played in EVERY aspect.

Sure, Miller's head was up his ass on the first 2 goals and that game shouldn't have went to over time.

But the fact is that aside from Miller's two ****-ups, we hung with them all game.

There's a reason they play 82 games, things can change from game to game, that's the reality of things, so this OVERTIME loss isn't as bad as you claim, and apparently want, it to be.
A loss is still a loss. There are no trophies for effort. This was yet another important game where the Sabres blew it. And that point the gave Carolina could still come back to bite us. Losses don't happen in a vacuum. They have repercussions, especially in games like this.

G Wolly
03-08-2011, 04:58 PM
A loss is still a loss. There are no trophies for effort. This was yet another important game where the Sabres blew it. And that point the gave Carolina could still come back to bite us. Losses don't happen in a vacuum. They have repercussions, especially in games like this.

You like repeating yourself don't you?

Even when I explain that I UNDERSTAND YOUR POINT

We lost. No. ****.

Yes, it could come back to bite us, but we won't know for sure until April.

If we hand the other 2 games to Carolina, then I will join you in anger. Otherwise, just let it be, man.

camelcowboy
03-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Yep. Must suck to root against your own team..... Thrum, its possible to be a fan without being a mindless cheerleader, Try it some time.

OpIv37
03-08-2011, 08:54 PM
You like repeating yourself don't you?

Even when I explain that I UNDERSTAND YOUR POINT

We lost. No. ****.

Yes, it could come back to bite us, but we won't know for sure until April.

If we hand the other 2 games to Carolina, then I will join you in anger. Otherwise, just let it be, man.

See, when you say stuff like this, that's why I keep repeating myself and that's why I don't think you understand the point.

If we had won the game, we'd have a bigger lead on Carolina and it would be much less likely to come back and bite us in April. If it's October and I'm saying the Sabres won't make the playoffs, or if it's April and I'm *****ing about who the Bills draft, then I can see your "wait and see" point. But when it's late Feb/early March and we're losing games to teams right next to us in the standings, the time for waiting is over. That's the time for doing, and the Sabres didn't do it.

G Wolly
03-08-2011, 11:33 PM
If we had won the game, we'd have a bigger lead on Carolina and it would be much less likely to come back and bite us in April. If it's October and I'm saying the Sabres won't make the playoffs, or if it's April and I'm *****ing about who the Bills draft, then I can see your "wait and see" point. But when it's late Feb/early March and we're losing games to teams right next to us in the standings, the time for waiting is over. That's the time for doing, and the Sabres didn't do it.

So by your logic, why not spend this much energy *****ing about an OT loss back in October, or November which also could have given us an extra few points.

This one game did not seal our fate.

When this season is said and done there's plenty of other games we should have won that could have put us in a better position. Spending your energy *****ing and defending your *****ing about this one game is just silly.

Ebenezer
03-09-2011, 06:41 AM
So by your logic, why not spend this much energy *****ing about an OT loss back in October, or November which also could have given us an extra few points.

When this season is said and done there's plenty of other games we should have won that could have put us in a better position. Spending your energy *****ing and defending your *****ing about this one game is just silly.

The flip side of the coin is that there will be games the Sabres should have lost that would have put them in a worse position. It's 82 games and that is the beauty of hockey.

hydro
03-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Thrum, its possible to be a fan without being a mindless cheerleader, Try it some time.

Cowboy, it is possible to be a fan without having to be a mindless critic, try it sometime.

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 07:53 AM

I disagree completely.

First, this was an important game with immediate ramifications. And as usual, this team failed to get it done. Maybe they played well as many of you are claiming, but they didn't get the results to show for their effort.

Second, this "no team goes undefeated so we shouldn't ***** about a loss" mentality is ridiculous. Of course we're not going to win every game, but that doesn't make a loss any less frustrating. And you can't take that attitude with every loss because losses have a cumulative effect. Sure, if we have 15 losses over the course of a season, that's an awesome year. But if we have 35 losses, that's a terrible year. They add up.

And if you're going to take that mentality about losses, you could just as easily take that same approach to not be satisfied with wins. "So what if we were on a 5-0-2 stretch before last night? We still need to win a bunch more games before we're in the playoffs and we can't win every night. Those wins didn't seal our fate and get us into the playoffs." It's the exact same mentality.

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Op stop FAILING already. No one cares....

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Op stop FAILING already. No one cares....

Writing bull**** in CAPITAL LETTERS doesn't make the bull**** true.

MikeInRoch
03-09-2011, 08:12 AM
First, this was an important game with immediate ramifications.

No. It does not have any more "immediate ramifications" than any other game before the very end of the season. Being in 8th place vs 9th place today is irrelevant.

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 08:17 AM
No. It does not have any more "immediate ramifications" than any other game before the very end of the season. Being in 8th place vs 9th place today is irrelevant.

No, it's really not. It puts pressure on Carolina to win and gives the team confidence and drive to keep working hard.

Ebenezer
03-09-2011, 10:19 AM
No, it's really not. It puts pressure on Carolina to win and gives the team confidence and drive to keep working hard.

These are professional athletes...if they need "confidence" that is brought by being in 8th instead of 9th then they are screwed anyway.

G Wolly
03-09-2011, 10:25 AM

Well maybe Carolina should have won that OT game earlier in the season and got an extra point so THEY could be in 8th place a month before playoffs start and not have to worry about fighting for that last spot!!!

GOD THEY'RE SUCH IDIOTS!!!

Ebenezer
03-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Well maybe Carolina should have won that OT game earlier in the season and got an extra point so THEY could be in 8th place a month before playoffs start and not have to worry about fighting for that last spot!!!

They suck...and if they get into 8th it will be because they are lucky - they'll get blow away in the 1st round.

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 11:40 AM

If I was a Carolina fan, that's exactly what I'd be saying.

Once again, this all comes back to you guys defending the team for losing and trying to tell me that I shouldn't be frustrated by a loss that kept us from jumping into the 8th spot.

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 11:40 AM
These are professional athletes...if they need "confidence" that is brought by being in 8th instead of 9th then they are screwed anyway.

They're prone to human emotions just like the rest of us.

psubills62
03-09-2011, 01:00 PM

:rofl: if you think having a 1-2 point lead as the 8th seed with 18+ games left to play provides confidence. Especially when I'm sure they've got guys like you around complaining "we couldn't win in regulation? We had to give the guys chasing us a point to work with? FAIL!!!!!"

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 01:03 PM
:rofl: if you think having a 1-2 point lead as the 8th seed with 18+ games left to play provides confidence. Especially when I'm sure they've got guys like you around complaining "we couldn't win in regulation? We had to give the guys chasing us a point to work with? FAIL!!!!!"

I absolutely think that getting into the 8th spot after the way this team started the season provides confidence. For a long time, we were hovering around 10-11 and it didn't look like we had a shot. Being able to crawl back from that is a huge morale booster, and being able to do it with a win by the team immediately ahead of them in the standings would have been that much better, ie, "not only are we ahead of these guys now, but we've proven we can beat them head-to-head on their turf."

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Writing bull**** in CAPITAL LETTERS doesn't make the bull**** true.
Then why do you keep on doing it? You did lose the argument in a major way. Just get on with your life.

psubills62
03-09-2011, 01:25 PM
I absolutely think that getting into the 8th spot after the way this team started the season provides confidence. For a long time, we were hovering around 10-11 and it didn't look like we had a shot. Being able to crawl back from that is a huge morale booster, and being able to do it with a win by the team immediately ahead of them in the standings would have been that much better, ie, "not only are we ahead of these guys now, but we've proven we can beat them head-to-head on their turf."

And yet there are other ways of getting to the 8th seed, as they have proven by reaching it without beating Carolina.

Ah yes, but beating the Rangers and Philadelphia on the road have no effect? I guess I missed the "WIN!!!!" threads that you started after those games.

And I really think you're overestimating a loss in overtime on the road to an 8th seed. First of all, it's not necessary to beat Carolina to get to the playoffs. Second, if the Sabres make the playoffs, they won't be playing Carolina (except in extreme circumstances), so Carolina really isn't an issue. Third, the two games afterward seem to have proven that the emotional calamity that you seem to think befell the Sabres after the Carolina loss...didn't happen.

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 01:35 PM
And yet there are other ways of getting to the 8th seed, as they have proven by reaching it without beating Carolina.

Ah yes, but beating the Rangers and Philadelphia on the road have no effect? I guess I missed the "WIN!!!!" threads that you started after those games.

And I really think you're overestimating a loss in overtime on the road to an 8th seed. First of all, it's not necessary to beat Carolina to get to the playoffs. Second, if the Sabres make the playoffs, they won't be playing Carolina (except in extreme circumstances), so Carolina really isn't an issue. Third, the two games afterward seem to have proven that the emotional calamity that you seem to think befell the Sabres after the Carolina loss...didn't happen.

Except that if we can't beat the 8th seed in one important game, what makes you think we can beat the 1 or 2 seed in a 7 game series?

The Carolina game was a microcosm for how this team has performed over the last 3 years, and that's why I was so frustrated. It showed that problems haven't been addressed and it doesn't bode well for the rest of this season.

Ebenezer
03-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Except that if we can't beat the 8th seed in one important game, what makes you think we can beat the 1 or 2 seed in a 7 game series?

The Carolina game was a microcosm for how this team has performed over the last 3 years, and that's why I was so frustrated. It showed that problems haven't been addressed and it doesn't bode well for the rest of this season.

So they should just quit and not make the playoffs? Sorry, I know they are not winning the cup but I'll take any playoffs over none any day.

psubills62
03-09-2011, 01:55 PM

Again, I don't think it was as important of a game as you think it was.

What makes me think we can beat the 1 or 2 seed in a 7 game series? How about beating the 1 seed in regulation at their place in the very next game?

G Wolly
03-09-2011, 02:27 PM
If I was a Carolina fan, that's exactly what I'd be saying.

Once again, this all comes back to you guys defending the team for losing and trying to tell me that I shouldn't be frustrated by a loss that kept us from jumping into the 8th spot.

No one is "defending" the loss.

Simply trying to explain to you that this one game isn't as crucial as you're making it out to be. It's as simple as that.

Nothing more, nothing less.

THIS game had no immediate consequence. Go back and ***** about a loss in October or November, it has the same mentality behind it.

If we had won one or two or three more games earlier in the season we could have been in 8th place sooner.

But we didn't. And this loss didn't hurt us anymore than the others have as of today.

I feel like I'm arguing with Helen Keller.

Dude
03-09-2011, 03:46 PM
http://www.angrybearblog.com/cat.jpg

Look, everyone - a picture of a cat wearing a fruit peel like a helmet! lolz!

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2011, 04:01 PM
Guys is Op not yet done failing?

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 10:52 PM
No one is "defending" the loss.

Simply trying to explain to you that this one game isn't as crucial as you're making it out to be. It's as simple as that.

Nothing more, nothing less.

THIS game had no immediate consequence. Go back and ***** about a loss in October or November, it has the same mentality behind it.

If we had won one or two or three more games earlier in the season we could have been in 8th place sooner.

But we didn't. And this loss didn't hurt us anymore than the others have as of today.

I feel like I'm arguing with Helen Keller.

And none of those other losses were excusable either. The "Helen Keller" feeling is mutual. I already told you that losses have a cumulative effect and you didn't listen. This loss here or that loss there may not matter, but cumulatively, THEY ****ING MATTER. The Sabres pissed away the chance to jump into the 8th playoff spot. They ceded a point to the team they need to get ahead of, and if you don't think that matters, then clearly you don't understand numbers or standings.

camelcowboy
03-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Cowboy, it is possible to be a fan without having to be a mindless critic, try it sometime.Im sure your life partner can handle himself, thanks. Wouldn't want you homers to use common sense when following the team. That loss to Carolina was huge, they are now tied in points and our games in hand are now blown, but whatever there our team RARARA its all good.

G Wolly
03-10-2011, 12:38 AM
And none of those other losses were excusable either. The "Helen Keller" feeling is mutual. I already told you that losses have a cumulative effect and you didn't listen. This loss here or that loss there may not matter, but cumulatively, THEY ****ING MATTER. The Sabres pissed away the chance to jump into the 8th playoff spot. They ceded a point to the team they need to get ahead of, and if you don't think that matters, then clearly you don't understand numbers or standings.

I'm not denying that losses matter.

That's obviously why the object of the game is to do the opposite.

But again I ask "Why choose THIS game?"

It had no immediate, direct effect. It's not the last game of the regular season, or a season-ending loss.

Just because I chose to move on from it and can realize the season isn't over doesn't mean I am "excusing the loss" or "ignoring the ramifications of losing games"

All it means is that there are games left to play. More wins and losses until the second week of April, then we'll find out who's in and out.

The point of being a fan is to be critical of the team, I agree. To support them and tell them when they do wrong.

But once again I state facts, since that game, we've moved into that 8th spot.

Just because we didn't do it by beating Carolina in that game doesn't increase or decrease our chances of making the playoffs by any large decisive bit.

"It doesn't have to be a large decisive bit, a point is a point and we didn't get that second point"

I'm sure you'll find some way to stubbornly still defend yourself, even though I'm doing my best to find a common ground here and convince you that over-thinking that loss won't give us that second point.

Look to the future.

Or is saying "Move on, and look to the future" not "fan-ish" enough for you?

OpIv37
03-10-2011, 07:49 AM
I'm not denying that losses matter.

That's obviously why the object of the game is to do the opposite.

But again I ask "Why choose THIS game?"

It had no immediate, direct effect. It's not the last game of the regular season, or a season-ending loss.

Just because I chose to move on from it and can realize the season isn't over doesn't mean I am "excusing the loss" or "ignoring the ramifications of losing games"

All it means is that there are games left to play. More wins and losses until the second week of April, then we'll find out who's in and out.

The point of being a fan is to be critical of the team, I agree. To support them and tell them when they do wrong.

But once again I state facts, since that game, we've moved into that 8th spot.

Just because we didn't do it by beating Carolina in that game doesn't increase or decrease our chances of making the playoffs by any large decisive bit.

"It doesn't have to be a large decisive bit, a point is a point and we didn't get that second point"

I'm sure you'll find some way to stubbornly still defend yourself, even though I'm doing my best to find a common ground here and convince you that over-thinking that loss won't give us that second point.

Look to the future.

Or is saying "Move on, and look to the future" not "fan-ish" enough for you?

This is why I chose this game:
1. It would have allowed us to IMMEDIATELY move into playoff position, even if it wasn't permanent.

2. It was points against the team that was directly ahead of us, and is still only a couple of points behind us, in the standings. The one or two point difference from this game against that particular team could very well be the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs. You can sit there and say "Look to the future- if we win one more game somewhere else then it doesn't matter," but we are not guaranteed to get that extra win.

3. It was a big game, against a team I hate, in which the Sabres choked and demonstrated most of the same problems that they've had for the last 3+ years.

4. It's hard to see how they're going to go anywhere in the playoffs, or even make the playoffs, if they can't beat ****ing Carolina when "playing well."

5. THIS game? Is this the first time I've complained about a game? I think the rest of this board would disagree with you on that.

G Wolly
03-10-2011, 12:12 PM
This is why I chose this game:
1. It would have allowed us to IMMEDIATELY move into playoff position, even if it wasn't permanent.

So what. The standings fluctuate every day. Even if we made it in that day we could be out another, so that's just silly.

2. It was points against the team that was directly ahead of us, and is still only a couple of points behind us, in the standings. The one or two point difference from this game against that particular team could very well be the difference between making the playoffs and not making the playoffs. You can sit there and say "Look to the future- if we win one more game somewhere else then it doesn't matter," but we are not guaranteed to get that extra win.

We are also not guaranteed to be bitten in the ass by that extra point, either.

3. It was a big game, against a team I hate, in which the Sabres choked and demonstrated most of the same problems that they've had for the last 3+ years.

3+ years. You haven't come to terms with the way it is?

4. It's hard to see how they're going to go anywhere in the playoffs, or even make the playoffs, if they can't beat ****ing Carolina when "playing well."

I don't expect us to make it past the first-round either. But look at the next game defeating 1st place Philly 5 to 3 in their house. There's a reason sports are played, anything can happen.

5. THIS game? Is this the first time I've complained about a game? I think the rest of this board would disagree with you on that.

Way to twist my words. When did I say this was the first time?