X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloBlakely14
    • Sep 2003

Mock Draft w/ Miller

If we truly want to get better we need to take the best players that are available to us at each point in this draft. The BPA vs Need is always a hot button topic, but there really isn't any question about what to do when given this opportunity, you must always take the best player available if you want to have a complete football team. Look at the best teams out there at drafting, the Packers, the Ravens, the Steelers, etc. they take the best player that is out there when they are up on the clock.

That being said you also have to take a good strong look at a position where you have something, even the smallest ray of light vs a position where you have nothing, in my opinion if you have something that can provide some hope (I'm talking legitimate haven't really had a shot yet to prove themself, or are in their 2nd season type development, not I hope John McCargo or Ashton Youbouty finally breakthrough this year type hope).

With that, this is what my dream mock would look like, these are the positions I consider very little if anything going on at. I believe that Torrell Troupe and Alex Carrington are going to get their chance this year. OLB, RT, TE, ILB, DE

1ST RD PICK 3 - Von Miller - OLB - Texas A&M
    - By all accounts the best pash rusher available in the entire draft. We have had ZERO pass rush since the late 90's for the most part. This would be something that we could build our scheme, our LB's and our defense around. With Miller, Poz (hopefully), another rookie ILB, and then Moats and Merriman, think we would finally have something going at the LB'ing core. Size is not a concern for Miller, anyone who follows the NFL with any sort of knowledge base knows that with a year or two in a NFL program, oh by the way, naturally growing up Miller is going to be a NFL weight LB. Von Miller is not an Aaron Maybin one year wonder who most think is a late 1st, he is a guy that could have gone top 10 last year, but stayed in school to get better at his deficiencies and to graduate.
    - For those of you who like comparison and want to see what I am talking about ...
    - Clay Matthews, who no one can argue isn't the gold standard of OLB right now in the NFL, at the combine
    Height: 6' 3"
    Weight: 240lbs
    40: 4.62
    225lbs: 23
    -Clay Matthews now
    Height: 6' 3"
    Weight: 255lbs
    - The Aaron Maybin comparisons are laughable, not too mention every player is their own player, and every player is different and no two players are ever exactly the same. While I agree you have to learn from the past, you also can't be afraid to draft someone based on the fact that you think that they are a clone of the past. Maybin was an undersized DE trying to make a transition, Von Miller is the LB in college football last season and arguably the season before it, and a 4 year LB starter.

2ND RD 34th PICK - Kyle Rudolph - TE - Notre Dame
    - Can we finally find a TE? This is one of our biggest needs PERIOD DOT. He is a natural pass catching TE, who is a willing, and adequate blocker, which I would assume that with NFL coaching he becomes better at. Number 1 talent at a position of HUGE NEED for us.
    - If we can come away with the #1 OLB, and the #1 TE after the first 2 rounds we have addressed both huge need and gotten BPA and huge talent.

3RD RD 66th PICK - Joseph Barksdale - OT - LSU
    - An underrated tackle prospect out of one of the elite college football programs in all of the country. 6'5" - 315lbs with prototype 36" arms. 3 Years starter for the Bayou Bangles. At best our future RT, at worst great depth for the OL. RT - Another spot we have pretty close to 0 going on at.

4TH RD 99TH PICK - Casey Matthews - ILB - Oregon
    - Good bloodlines, has great football IQ and ability to diagnose plays. A bit undersized, but the same things were said about his brother. Goes against what Nix has said he is looking for size-wise in his ILBers, saying he wants to get much bigger at that position, but he is everything else he is looking for. Not sure this happens. But if it does, Moats, Poz, Matthews, and Miller is definitely a LB'ing core for the future.

4TH RD 121ST PICK - Kendrick Ellis - NT - Hampton
    - Project athletic, big NT. Could provide good depth on the DL and possible future starter.

I know we don't address DE or QB in this draft, but I think DE can be addressed possibly in place of one of these selections, or with the development of Alex Carrington. There is no doubt that we need DE's on this team someway somehow, logisitically we don't even have enough on the team right now. Free agency possibly, or maybe top of the 2nd instead of Rudolph or 3rd instead of Barksdale, this is where Nix and Galley need to determine what is a greater need RT or DE.
    Last edited by BuffaloBlakely14; 03-07-2011, 08:44 AM.
  • TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Re: Mock Draft w/ Miller

I also had Rudolph in the 2nd and Matthews in the 4th in my Mock 1.0.

Good Job. I wouldn't mind this draft.

1. Carolina- Nick Fairly DT, Auburn 2. Denver- Da'Quan Bowers DE, Clemson 3. Buffalo- Peterson CB, LSU. McFumbles is almost a bust, McGee is old and injury prone. 4. Cinci- AJ Green WR Georgia, Goodbye TO, Ocho is old 5. Cards- Miller LB: Would be Newton but they will trade for Kolb 6. Browns: Marcell Dareus DE, Alabama 7.
    Last edited by TacklingDummy; 03-07-2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Ingtar33
      Dances With Buffaloes
      • Sep 2002

Rudolph will likely go in round 1... but if he makes it to us in the 2nd i would be happy to take him.
      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Jan 2010

ellis would be great, but he will be gone by rd3

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

Your theory is fine, but there's not much consensus among experts as to who the BPA is at #3 no matter who gets taken at 1 and 2. Von Miller would be a minority pick. The BPA might be Peterson or Dareus or Green or Fairley or . . .
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Lone Stranger
            • Sep 2002

I have trouble with this. Considering the number of elite DL this year and we are not taking one????

Comment

• ddaryl
              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
              • Jan 2005

I believe the Bills will draft a QB somewhere between rds #2 and #4.

We should trade down if we want Miller. There should be dance partners and we need the picks this year and next.

Comment

• baalworship
                • May 2003

I disagree with the idea that Von Miller is the best pass-rusher in this draft. Again, he played at 230 something lbs in college and everyone assumes he will now beat NFL tackles.

Comment

• Luisito23
                  Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ddaryl

That would be another mistake aside from drafting Miller...I do like Matthews in 4th. but he won't last that long.

Overall pretty disappointing draft.
                  "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                  ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                  ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                  ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• ddaryl
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Luisito23
                    That would be another mistake aside from drafting Miller...I do like Matthews in 4th. but he won't last that long.

????????????????????????????????????

so you want to take a QB in rd's #5 - #7 or an undrafted player ?????????????

Comment

• Luisito23
                      Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                      • Apr 2003

It's either Newton, or wait 'till next year...I wanna go all defense on the first 3 rounds though.

Go all D. and erase some mistakes!
                      "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                      ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                      ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                      ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• ddaryl
                        • Jan 2005

It's either Newton, or wait 'till next year...I wanna go all defense on the first 3 rounds though.

Go all D. and erase some mistakes!
                        Well I think Newton has Hollywood eyes which will be a disaster for Buffalo.

I also think that many of the round #2 QB's are just as worthy of grooming then the over hyped round #1 QB's.

We will need to bring in a QB this year one way or another, and even if we bring in a QB this year I would be open to drafting one next year if we have the shot at one early. Fitz has a couple years. Having a competition behind him wouldn't be a bad thing IMO

Comment

• BuffaloBlakely14
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ddaryl

We should trade down if we want Miller. There should be dance partners and we need the picks this year and next.
                          I would love to trade down, but the Cardinals are believed to covet Miller as well, so I think trading down would put Miller out of our reach.

Comment

• BuffaloBlakely14
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by fmr60
                            I have trouble with this. Considering the number of elite DL this year and we are not taking one????
                            I agree to some extent, I would be very much onboard with taking Dareus with the number 3 overall, I like Miller a lot though and think he could help just as much.

Comment

• BuffaloBlakely14
                              • Sep 2003

No problem with your opinion but would love to hear reason. How would drafting Miller be a mistake? If you like Dareus or Peterson more I have no arguement, I change daily on who I like the most out of the three. But I would lOve to hear your reasoning.
                              Last edited by BuffaloBlakely14; 03-07-2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X