PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Nix in attendance at Cam's Pro Day

Extremebillsfan247
03-08-2011, 10:55 AM
This is according to Mike Catalana that the Bills confirmed Buddy to be in attendance via twitter. Gailey is not there though. Here is the tweet in full as posted 2 hours ago.
MikeCatalana (https://twitter.com/MikeCatalana) (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/)
Bills confirm that Buddy Nix is attending today's Auburn Pro Day with Cam Newton. Chan Gailey is not there.

Ed
03-08-2011, 10:58 AM
So did Gailey ever interview Cam at the combine? If so, does anyone know how it went? I haven't heard anything.

Extremebillsfan247
03-08-2011, 11:00 AM
So did Gailey ever interview Cam at the combine? If so, does anyone know how it went? I haven't heard anything.I'd be interested in knowing that myself. I haven't heard or read anything on that either.

OpIv37
03-08-2011, 11:07 AM
I REALLY hope we don't pick Cam at #3 but I don't blame Buddy for doing his due diligence and investigating the possibility.

djjimkelly
03-08-2011, 11:09 AM
please do very badly today mr fig newton.

we are starting to fix the problem called the buffalo bills.

you are not needed here

Ed
03-08-2011, 11:13 AM
I REALLY hope we don't pick Cam at #3 but I don't blame Buddy for doing his due diligence and investigating the possibility.
Even if they decide that they don't like Cam, I think it's important that they still give the impression that they are very interested for potential trade options.

Mike13
03-08-2011, 11:13 AM
I am more intrested in whats between the ears.
We know the guy is an amazing athelete.

The Jokeman
03-08-2011, 11:18 AM
This is according to Mike Catalana that the Bills confirmed Buddy to be in attendance via twitter. Gailey is not there though. Here is the tweet in full as posted 2 hours ago.
MikeCatalana (https://twitter.com/MikeCatalana) (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/)
Bills confirm that Buddy Nix is attending today's Auburn Pro Day with Cam Newton. Chan Gailey is not there.
Is Newton the only one performing at Auburn's Pro Day? As perhaps we are scouting someone else like Nick Fairley or Josh Bynes. Just some food for thought as I love media speculation.

Extremebillsfan247
03-08-2011, 11:22 AM
please do very badly today mr fig newton.

we are starting to fix the problem called the buffalo bills.

you are not needed herelol I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure OpIv37 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=346) is right that Nix is just doing his due diligence by showing up. I would think that if the Bills were really serious about finding another starting QB that Gailey would also be in attendance. But we all know Gailey has thrown his full support behind Fitzpatrick for the moment. It will be interesting to see how Nix reacts after today though. JMO

Extremebillsfan247
03-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Is Newton the only one performing at Auburn's Pro Day? As perhaps we are scouting someone else like Nick Fairley or Josh Bynes. Just some food for thought as I love media speculation.Your absolutely right that Nix could be there for other reasons but you'd also have to be in denial to think he wont also be keeping a close eye on Newton. JMO

Mr. Miyagi
03-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Ditto.

DraftBoy
03-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Dont forget Arkansas's pro day is also today so hopefully somebody is going to watch Mallett.

Ed
03-08-2011, 11:40 AM
I am more intrested in whats between the ears.
We know the guy is an amzing athelete.
Yeah, I'm sure Cam is going to amaze everyone at the workout, but all that does is confirm what everyone already knows. I'm not surprised that Gailey isn't there because he already stated earlier that he's a lot more interested in talking football with him then watching him workout. That's why I'm a lot more curious about his interview then his workouts.

OpIv37
03-08-2011, 11:40 AM
lol I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure OpIv37 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=346) is right that Nix is just doing his due diligence by showing up. I would think that if the Bills were really serious about finding another starting QB that Gailey would also be in attendance. But we all know Gailey has thrown his full support behind Fitzpatrick for the moment. It will be interesting to see how Nix reacts after today though. JMO

I wouldn't put too much stock in what Gailey said about Fitz. He basically has to say it. Even if we get Newton, he most likely won't be ready this year and Fitz will be the starter for at least one more year, maybe two. And we may not get Newton or any other QB, which means Fitz is the starter for the foreseeable future.

Gaily pretty much has to express confidence in him publicly, regardless of how he honestly feels about it.

I agree that Gailey's lack of attendance is significant as far as interest in Newton goes, though.

justasportsfan
03-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Maybe he's there to see Failey too.

DraftBoy
03-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Maybe he's there to see Failey too.

Maybe he's there to see Blanc!

Bills Juggernaut
03-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Any word if Gailey is in Arkansas?

DraftBoy
03-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Any word if Gailey is in Arkansas?

Nope, but I have the early pro day results for Mallett in a thread.

Extremebillsfan247
03-08-2011, 12:29 PM
For those interested, you can watch the Auburn pro day live here http://espn.go.com/espn3/index?id=154868# (http://espn.go.com/espn3/index?id=154868#)
It's scheduled to start at 1:30pm eastern time.

FlyingDutchman
03-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Agree with OP and ED

pro day shmo day...i hate how people rise and fall without a snap of real football during these months...Jamarcus Russel threw 70 yards while on 1 knee at his pro day, just sayin....But you have to get all the information for yourself as well as set smoke screens now

justasportsfan
03-08-2011, 12:35 PM
here is the ICON before the workout

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nShJm4mKIpY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DraftBoy
03-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Newton down 4 pounds, Fairley up 6.

FlyingDutchman
03-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Newton down 4 pounds, Fairley up 6.

Fairley could probably lose that in one dump

Extremebillsfan247
03-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Agree with OP and ED

pro day shmo day...i hate how people rise and fall without a snap of real football during these months...Jamarcus Russel threw 70 yards while on 1 knee at his pro day, just sayin....But you have to get all the information for yourself as well as set smoke screens nowYou know what is cool about the pro days though? the guys you don't hear about, or don't get invited to the combine who your team might be able to pick up in the late rounds. Some of them actually turn out to be pretty productive NFL players. JMO

The Jokeman
03-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Agree with OP and ED

pro day shmo day...i hate how people rise and fall without a snap of real football during these months...Jamarcus Russel threw 70 yards while on 1 knee at his pro day, just sayin....But you have to get all the information for yourself as well as set smoke screens now
I hate to say it but I think of Russell when here people talk about Newton. I know Newton's a lot more mobile and did win the Heisman and the BCS Championship last year but still have issues as him as a QB. As he played 1 year, granted it was an excellent year, of NCAA Division 1 football. That's just too much risk to take Newton at pick #3 IMHO.

ddaryl
03-08-2011, 02:00 PM
With Cam his success is so much him running 1st then thinking pass..

the guy runs the ball an average of 20+ a game. he runs almost as often as he throws. I don't see that being good.

264 rushing attempts 280 passing attempts in 2010. If he can't beat teams with his arm regularly he'll get the **** knocked out of him in the NFL until he does.

I like a mobile QB, but one that can win with his arm 1st then use his legs 2nd.. Personal preference for me.

FlyingDutchman
03-08-2011, 02:21 PM
I hate to say it but I think of Russell when here people talk about Newton. I know Newton's a lot more mobile and did win the Heisman and the BCS Championship last year but still have issues as him as a QB. As he played 1 year, granted it was an excellent year, of NCAA Division 1 football. That's just too much risk to take Newton at pick #3 IMHO.

im there with ya, he screams Russell to me

baalworship
03-08-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm just glad that we have Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey looking into all the top QB's in this draft as opposed to fans on this message board.

X-Era
03-08-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm just glad that we have Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey looking into all the top QB's in this draft as opposed to fans on this message board.I trust in their opinion more than most.

baalworship
03-08-2011, 04:19 PM
This is the most important decision they will make, especially when to pull the trigger on a franchise QB. Since their jobs our riding on this I expect them to be thorough.

evol4276
03-08-2011, 05:04 PM
sooo....... anybody that's watched the pro day workout have anything to comment on Newton as per his throwing?? i watched it for maybe an hour and a half, but he and fairly were just kinda sitting around so i didn't get to see either of them do anything

baalworship
03-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Just finished watching Cam work out. Looked much better and completed 50-for 60 with a few drops. When you consider that he never took snaps under center until a few months ago on a regular basis I came away impressed. He was VERY accurate, IMO, and his accuracy will only get better once he is used to 5 step and 7 step drops.

Philagape
03-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm more interested in what his accuracy will be when defenses are disguising their coverages and he has to find his second and third options while being blitzed.

evol4276
03-08-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm more interested in what his accuracy will be when defenses are disguising their coverages and he has to find his second and third options while being blitzed. i happened to run across an article on a redskin forum site (please don't ask...) and apparently from team interviews, it is said by a few that he has an awful football iq. idk how legit that is, especially right now, but i can post the link to anyone interested

X-Era
03-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Just finished watching Cam work out. Looked much better and completed 50-for 60 with a few drops. When you consider that he never took snaps under center until a few months ago on a regular basis I came away impressed. He was VERY accurate, IMO, and his accuracy will only get better once he is used to 5 step and 7 step drops.I just watched the NFL Network coverage and caught Buddy Nix looking on as he dropped back.

evol4276
03-08-2011, 06:00 PM
i'll post it anyways. could be a smoke-screen, but either way, take it as it is. not much of a blog, i'm afraid
http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/27698893?source=rss_blogs_NFL%20Draft

baalworship
03-08-2011, 06:01 PM
i happened to run across an article on a redskin forum site (please don't ask...) and apparently from team interviews, it is said by a few that he has an awful football iq. idk how legit that is, especially right now, but i can post the link to anyone interested

Todd McShay mentioned that NFL teams had mixed reviews on Newton. Some were lukewarm but none said he was terrible in that regard. It doesn't take much to get a bad rumor going on a player though. I bet we could start a few on this board.

evol4276
03-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Todd McShay mentioned that NFL teams had mixed reviews on Newton. Some were lukewarm but none said he was terrible in that regard. It doesn't take much to get a bad rumor going on a player though. I bet we could start a few on this board. really hard what to take as a for sure statement, but still interesting. really wouldn't surpise me if he weren't too sharp there either, but what the hell do i know?

Philagape
03-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Apparently the top six teams in the draft had their head coach there, except the Bills.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/08/top-of-nfl-draft-well-represented-at-auburn-pro-day/

X-Era
03-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Apparently the top six teams in the draft had their head coach there, except the Bills.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/08/top-of-nfl-draft-well-represented-at-auburn-pro-day/Nix and Modrak were there... I think that covers the Bills.

Philagape
03-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Buddy said the same thing I did ....

"Workouts are a small piece of the puzzle," said Nix, a former Auburn coach. "We go by how they play. Throwing's good. You can tell something about his release and you can tell something about his arm, but the only way you can tell if a guy can play quarterback is when he's being rushed and you've got coverage and you've got to throw it in a tight spot. That's kind of what we go by, 80 percent probably."

source: AP

Blame Canada
03-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Confirmed that Buddy Nix took Cam Newton and his agent Bus Cook out to dinner Monday night.