PDA

View Full Version : Newton's pro-day good not great

X-Era
03-08-2011, 05:48 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/08/cam-newton-goes-50-for-60-at-tuesday-pro-day/

Better than his combine as far as the throwing goes. But he's throwing to his guys.

Bangarang
03-08-2011, 06:12 PM
I don't think this changed much. If you liked Cam after the combine, then you still like him after his pro day and vice versa.

With that said, I will cry if we draft him at 3.

DraftBoy
03-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Footwork is still a work in progress, when he misses its high.

THATHURMANATOR
03-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Footwork is still a work in progress, when he misses its high.
Can he become a pro bowl QB?

FlyingDutchman
03-08-2011, 06:44 PM
can we finally get off the Cam Newton @3 crap now please

DraftBoy
03-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Can he become a pro bowl QB?
Can he? Yes, but so could 50 other QB's in the NFL.

Will he, is what makes the money.

THATHURMANATOR
03-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Can he? Yes, but so could 50 other QB's in the NFL.

Will he, is what makes the money.
Will he?

Ebenezer
03-08-2011, 06:49 PM
I say pass. This team needs more help on the DL.

THATHURMANATOR
03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
I don't think we need anymore help there than the QB position.

I just can't see us making it happen with Fitz.

I definitely see us being a better team and not picking in the top 5 next year so those who say wait till next year could be setting us up to backfire.

Nighthawk
03-08-2011, 06:52 PM

True, but this team is going nowhere until they find a franchise QB.

DraftBoy
Will he?

At this point I dont think so, but Im not 100% convinced of it.

X-Era
Will he?I'll put it to you this way. The Bills are very seriously considering him IMO.

DraftBoy
03-08-2011, 06:53 PM
True, but this team is going nowhere until they find a franchise QB.

Could make the same argument about this team if they can't control at least one (if not both) of the lines.

Ebenezer
03-08-2011, 07:01 PM

I definitely see us being a better team and not picking in the top 5 next year so those who say wait till next year could be setting us up to backfire.
I think this team makes a faster improvement by getting better on the DL and OL in the second round than drafting Newton and BPA.

scartown
03-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Sounds like the Bills had dinner with Newton and his agents last night. Is this genuine interest or just a smoke screen. I hope the latter.

THATHURMANATOR
03-08-2011, 07:33 PM
I just don't get how some are so dead set against him but love another guy they don't really know much about either. It is weird.

I get that a select few of you have more knowledge on the subject but the rest I don't get...

X-Era
03-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Sounds like the Bills had dinner with Newton and his agents last night. Is this genuine interest or just a smoke screen. I hope the latter.I don't see the Bills being particularly good at smokescreen's to be honest... I think it's genuine.

THATHURMANATOR
03-08-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't see the Bills being particularly good at smokescreen's to be honest... I think it's genuine.
As well they should be interested.

Doesn't mean they have to draft him....

X-Era
03-08-2011, 07:53 PM
As well they should be interested.

Doesn't mean they have to draft him....They shouldn't draft anyone they think is worthy.

Extremebillsfan247
03-09-2011, 05:56 AM
They shouldn't draft anyone they think is worthy.
Agreed. If they do draft him, its because they did their homework on him and are confident of the results. What makes guys like Newton and Gabbert appealing is their upside potential. Neither one will be comfortable at 5 or 7 step drops right away. But these 2 also haven't had the benefit of NFL coaching either. They will both get better. I think the Bills know that. The fact that Newton is learning to adapt already is what makes him a promising figure in this draft. I think the same will prove to be the point for Gabbert as well. JMO

Ebenezer
03-09-2011, 06:44 AM
They shouldn't draft anyone they think is not worthy.

corrected?

YardRat
03-09-2011, 07:25 AM

Dead last stopping the run.

Yeah, we need a helluva lot more help there than at QB.

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2011, 07:44 AM

Sign a couple Free agents.

D tackles don't win you superbowls.

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 08:03 AM

No one is arguing that we need an upgrade at the QB position.

Fitz is a stopgap at best.

But the problem is that our need for a QB doesn't necessarily make one available.

We simply can't afford to miss with this pick. QB is notoriously the riskiest position, and Newton is the riskiest guy at the position. High risk, high reward- but right now, we need someone at #3 who is more likely to come in and play at a level deserving of the #3.

If we improve, we may not be in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. But if we build up the rest of our team, maybe we don't need to find the next Jim Kelly or Peyton Manning and we can win with the next Eli Manning/Mark Rypien/Brad Johnson/Kerry Collins etc.

jamze132
03-09-2011, 08:09 AM

But the problem is that our need for a QB doesn't necessarily make one available.

We simply can't afford to miss with this pick. QB is notoriously the riskiest position, and Newton is the riskiest guy at the position. High risk, high reward- but right now, we need someone at #3 who is more likely to come in and play at a level deserving of the #3.

If we improve, we may not be in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. But if we build up the rest of our team, maybe we don't need to find the next Jim Kelly or Peyton Manning and we can win with the next Eli Manning/Mark Rypien/Brad Johnson/Kerry Collins etc.
I agree, regardless of who we pick it has to be a stud. I don't think we can pass up Bowers or Fairely if they are there over a QB who has a ****load of question marks.

I do like Newton though but am not 100% sold.

Extremebillsfan247
03-09-2011, 08:09 AM

I think we all know what we need. What some of us don't comprehend though is that those needs wont be answered with one draft. It would be completely naive to think those needs would be answered with one pick regardless of who that selection turns out to be.

Teams rarely get the opportunity to pick this high in the draft, "even teams as bad as this one", in consecutive years. It's more imperative that this team make the right choice on who to pick rather than what position to pick for. It comes down to best player available over position of need, especially with the 3rd overall pick in the draft. It could be awhile before we get to pick this high in the draft again. JMO

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 08:12 AM
oh, and BTW, even if Newton turns out to be a good QB, he will take at least a year, probably two, to develop. So, if we take him at 3, our first round picks would look like this:

11- Newton, on the bench learning
10- Spiller- average
09- Maybin, complete waste
08- McKelvin- average
07- Lynch- gone
06- Whitner, average, likely gone
06- McCargo, bust

So, we'd be looking at minimal contributions from SIX YEARS of first round draft picks. How the hell are we supposed to win like that? We need someone who can come in and contribute immediately. Few QB's ever do that, and no QB in this draft class will do that.

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 08:13 AM
I agree, regardless of who we pick it has to be a stud. I don't think we can pass up Bowers or Fairely if they are there over a QB who has a ****load of question marks.

If we could get him later in the draft I'd consider rolling the dice, but definitely not at 3.

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2011, 08:13 AM

I think you make some good points. It just comes down to whether or not you are willing to take the risk. If the coaches and GM feel he is their guy I am willing to take that risk.

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 08:15 AM
I think we all know what we need. What some of us don't comprehend though is that those needs wont be answered with one draft. It would be completely naive to think those needs would be answered with one pick regardless of who that selection turns out to be.

Teams rarely get the opportunity to pick this high in the draft, "even teams as bad as this one", in consecutive years. It's more imperative that this team make the right choice on who to pick rather than what position to pick for. It comes down to best player available over position of need, especially with the 3rd overall pick in the draft. It could be awhile before we get to pick this high in the draft again. JMO

This is what always gets me. Here's the problem: we suck. We have a LOT of positions of need. The good part about that is it means we don't have to choose between need and BPA. At #3 with so many positions of need, I highly doubt there is going to be a guy at one position who is clearly so much better than everyone else available that we have to throw out need as a consideration. There will be several guys available who are roughly equal, and at least a few of them will also fit positions of need.

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2011, 08:18 AM
oh, and BTW, even if Newton turns out to be a good QB, he will take at least a year, probably two, to develop. So, if we take him at 3, our first round picks would look like this:

11- Newton, on the bench learning
10- Spiller- average
09- Maybin, complete waste
08- McKelvin- average
07- Lynch- gone
06- Whitner, average, likely gone
06- McCargo, bust

So, we'd be looking at minimal contributions from SIX YEARS of first round draft picks. How the hell are we supposed to win like that? We need someone who can come in and contribute immediately. Few QB's ever do that, and no QB in this draft class will do that.
What QB steps in immediatly and does well? Very rare.

This a perfect team to groom Newton. We have Fitz as a stop gap then turn the reins to Newton.

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2011, 08:18 AM
I also have hopes Spiller will be a more dynamic part of our team this season.

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 08:21 AM
What QB steps in immediatly and does well? Very rare.

This a perfect team to groom Newton. We have Fitz as a stop gap then turn the reins to Newton.

Having Fitz will help us groom Newton. I'm just not sure that the rest of the team is up to the task, and drafting Newton comes with the opportunity cost of fixing one of the other problems (particularly stopping the run).

Extremebillsfan247
03-09-2011, 08:24 AM
This is what always gets me. Here's the problem: we suck. We have a LOT of positions of need. The good part about that is it means we don't have to choose between need and BPA. At #3 with so many positions of need, I highly doubt there is going to be a guy at one position who is clearly so much better than everyone else available that we have to throw out need as a consideration. There will be several guys available who are roughly equal, and at least a few of them will also fit positions of need.Well I'll try to use an example. Let's say a receiver like Andre Johnson were sitting there at 3, we don't need a receiver but this guy clearly looks like he could be a phenomenal receiver, do we pass on him to take a Dareus because our defense was last against the run last year? There probably isn't an Andre Johnson in this draft though which is why it's an example. But it does add some validation to my point I think.

ddaryl
03-09-2011, 08:47 AM
I still would rather have one of the later rd QB's in this draft. There are some accurate passers that can be found in round 2 maybe later..

I prefer the accurate passer over the run 1st QB.

I have way more faith in the DE's and DT's and even LB's we can pick up at the #3 spot

better days
03-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Well I'll try to use an example. Let's say a receiver like Andre Johnson were sitting there at 3, we don't need a receiver but this guy clearly looks like he could be a phenomenal receiver, do we pass on him to take a Dareus because our defense was last against the run last year? There probably isn't an Andre Johnson in this draft though which is why it's an example. But it does add some validation to my point I think.

The problem with this post is you use a player we all know about at the receiver position but not the DL position. It would have made more sense if you said do we pass on Johnson for Suh?

Nobody knows how good Dareus will be & nobody knows how good any receiver or CB in this draft will be either.

Extremebillsfan247
03-09-2011, 09:38 AM
The problem with this post is you use a player we all know about at the receiver position but not the DL position. It would have made more sense if you said do we pass on Johnson for Suh?

Nobody knows how good Dareus will be & nobody knows how good any receiver or CB in this draft will be either.What if we took Green? would you be mad? I bet you would. He is seen as one of the top 2 receivers in this draft. It's pretty much the same concept.

djjimkelly
03-09-2011, 10:19 AM
I just don't get how some are so dead set against him but love another guy they don't really know much about either. It is weird.

I get that a select few of you have more knowledge on the subject but the rest I don't get...

my reasoning is simple

his skill set has never won anything in this league.

i know people can turn and point out micheal vick. sorry hes lights years away from being vick

vince young good but not good . i could make a massive list in the nfl qbs are measured by how they throw the ball first and foremost.

hes not a top 5 passer in this draft

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Having Fitz will help us groom Newton. I'm just not sure that the rest of the team is up to the task, and drafting Newton comes with the opportunity cost of fixing one of the other problems (particularly stopping the run).
Why can't we address Run defense in 2nd round and free agency?

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 10:23 AM
I also have hopes Spiller will be a more dynamic part of our team this season.
I hope so too, but I based my comments on what we've seen so far, not what we are hoping to see.

Ed
03-09-2011, 10:32 AM

Don't Fairley and Bowers have questions marks also? What makes them guaranteed studs? Fairley has plenty of questions about his work ethic, effort, maturity, and dirty play. Bowers, like everyone else, has the one year wonder tag and now there are concerns about his knee. Plus, some feel he's only a 4-3 guy.

We have all seen plenty of top D-lineman bust, so there's always high risk with any player you take in the top 5.

Bill Cody
03-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Any word on Cam's wonderlic? Sitting on this fence is getting uncomfortable.

justasportsfan
03-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Nix said pro-day workouts need to be kept in perspective.

"I tell you this, workouts are a small piece of the puzzle," Nix said. "We go by how they play. If the throwing is good, you can tell something about their release, you can tell something about his arm. But the only way you can tell how a guy can play quarterback is when he's being rushed and you've got coverage and you've got to throw it in a tight spot and you've got pressure on you. That's kind of what we go by, the biggest percentage, anyway. Eighty percent, probably."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article361899.ece

Ed
03-09-2011, 10:43 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article361899.ece
Yeah, I've read before that Nix doesn't put as much stock into things like mechanics as other people do. If a guy can play the game and get the ball where it needs to be, he doesn't really care about the smaller details.

MikeInRoch
03-09-2011, 10:45 AM

The lack of D tackles absolutely prevents you from winning superbowls.

jamze132
03-09-2011, 11:14 AM
If we could get him later in the draft I'd consider rolling the dice, but definitely not at 3.
I'm still in the camp though that thinks if we pass hm up, we are going to regret it 5 years from now. This draft sucks.

jamze132
03-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Don't Fairley and Bowers have questions marks also? What makes them guaranteed studs? Fairley has plenty of questions about his work ethic, effort, maturity, and dirty play. Bowers, like everyone else, has the one year wonder tag and now there are concerns about his knee. Plus, some feel he's only a 4-3 guy.

We have all seen plenty of top D-lineman bust, so there's always high risk with any player you take in the top 5.
True, I just feel that those two D-lineman are the least riskiest moves with our options.

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm still in the camp though that thinks if we pass hm up, we are going to regret it 5 years from now. This draft sucks.

It depends who we pass him up for. If we take a DT who becomes a Pro Bowler and anchors our D for years, then I'll be satisfied even if Newton goes one pick later and turns out to be great.

If we pick another bust or average player and Newton turns out to be great, then I'll be pissed.

The key for me is the Bills getting a good player.

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2011, 12:32 PM
The lack of D tackles absolutely prevents you from winning superbowls.
D tackles can be had in other ways. A QB is 10 times more important.

better days
03-09-2011, 12:33 PM
What if we took Green? would you be mad? I bet you would. He is seen as one of the top 2 receivers in this draft. It's pretty much the same concept.

Yeah, I would be mad because even if Green is one of the best 2 WR's in the draft, the Bills do not need a WR when they can get someone rated just as high in a position of need which they have many of

JCBills
03-09-2011, 02:11 PM

#32 ranked D's don't win you super bowls. In a weak QB class, the team would be better off building a solid defense before throwing a young QB to the wolves. Might just develop better if they don't have to constantly try to claw themselves back into the game because they're down 3 TDs.

Figster
03-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Newton will have private workout with Bills

http://www.lockerpulse.com/News/Pant...=Buffalo-Bills (http://www.lockerpulse.com/News/Panthers-Bills-Skins-Vikes-among-six-teams-to-work-out-Newton-S889688/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffalo-Bills)

Ed
03-09-2011, 02:26 PM
True, I just feel that those two D-lineman are the least riskiest moves with our options.
Fair enough. I guess I just see Dareus as less risky and a better player. That's why I like Peterson too. He seems like one of the safest picks.