• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Ryan "Stonefoot" Mallett impresses with his arm, not his feet

Today's Arkansas Pro Day confirmed what everyone already knew about Ryan Mallett: He runs like an offensive lineman, and he throws like Nolan Ryan.

Not much of a surprise here. Ryan has a great arm, but if your looking for a mobile QB, this guy may make Drew Bledsoe look like Tim Tebow. He ran a 5.37 reportedly.

Quarterback Ryan Mallett ran a 5.37 forty-yard dash time at the Arkansas Razorbacks' Pro Day on Tuesday.

The issue with Ryan is his character and I don't know that the question has been answered yet.
    Last edited by X-Era; 03-08-2011, 05:52 PM.

• Bangarang
    • Sep 2010

Re: Ryan "Stonefoot" Mallett impresses with his arm, not his feet

lol 5.37

He would require an offensive line consisting of Jesus and his Disciples blocking for him.

Comment

• Prov401
      President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
      • Aug 2008

He's the most NFL ready QB in this draft. His touch is incredible. Brady ran a 5.23 at his combine. Bledsoe ran a 4.7. Who would you say has better pocket presence? It's a no brainer, Brady. Bledsoe stood around, patting the ball, focused down field the whole time. Mallett has better pocket awareness than Bledsoe. He knows when he is in trouble, and makes a good move or two, like Brady. Sure, your going to have to protect Mallett a little better than most QB's, but he has a quick sling, and makes tremendous passes. I could be wrong, but I believe he's going to make a team pretty happy.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
        Unreachable Douche
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bangarang
        lol 5.37

He would require an offensive line consisting of Jesus and his Disciples blocking for him.
        Dan Marino played well not being fast.

The white Michael Vick, JP Losman played like crap being fast.
        Last edited by TacklingDummy; 03-08-2011, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Prov401
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by TacklingDummy

Exactly. Pocket presence and speed are 2 totally different things. Brady's 40 sucked, but he is up there with the best at avoiding the pressure. As long as Mallett has the desire to be great, he has an enormous amount of talent in that arm of his, and he will flurish. He has a rocket, and throws seeds. I would love him with our 2nd pick, but there is no way he would last that long.

Comment

• BidsJr
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Prov401
            He's the most NFL ready QB in this draft. His touch is incredible. Brady ran a 5.23 at his combine. Bledsoe ran a 4.7. Who would you say has better pocket presence? It's a no brainer, Brady. Bledsoe stood around, patting the ball, focused down field the whole time. Mallett has better pocket awareness than Bledsoe. He knows when he is in trouble, and makes a good move or two, like Brady. Sure, your going to have to protect Mallett a little better than most QB's, but he has a quick sling, and makes tremendous passes. I could be wrong, but I believe he's going to make a team pretty happy.
            You obviously never watched the guy play.
            "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• Prov401
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by BidsJr
              You obviously never watched the guy play.
              I've watched him play plenty pal.

Comment

• Prov401
                • Aug 2008

According to Brooks, scouts and coaches in attendance were comparing Mallett to a couple of Hall of Fame pocket passers, Dan Fouts and Dan Marino.

Yea, I must be clueless.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • May 2009

i'm not your buddy, guy

Comment

• mikemac2001
                    is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                    • Mar 2003

I ain't your friend buddy

MUCK
                    FIAMI

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
                      • Mar 2004

I will tell you this I would rather have Mallet in the second than Newton at 3 but that's just me.

Comment

• TMu11
                        • Mar 2010

How many times are QBs involved in foot races anyways? I'd rather have a player with good game speed than foot speed. If he can dominate a pocket rather than rolling out every play it wouldnt be a burden on my shoulders
                        After Every Dark Night Comes a Brighter Day

Comment

• X-Era
                          What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TMu11
                          How many times are QBs involved in foot races anyways? I'd rather have a player with good game speed than foot speed. If he can dominate a pocket rather than rolling out every play it wouldnt be a burden on my shoulders
                          As I said in my OP, Mallett's ability to run isn't where I'm concerned.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TacklingDummy

It's a different game now though than when Marino played. Now, QBs almost have to be mobile to get passes off because of the speed of defenses in general which are a lot quicker than they were in Marino's days. JMO
                            Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 03-09-2011, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                              Unreachable Douche
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SeatownBillsFan21
                              I will tell you this I would rather have Mallet in the second than Newton at 3 but that's just me.
                              Or Gabbert with the 3rd.

Comment

Working...
                              X