PDA

View Full Version : Ryan "Stonefoot" Mallett impresses with his arm, not his feet

X-Era
03-08-2011, 05:51 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/08/ryan-malletts-arm-continues-to-impress/

Not much of a surprise here. Ryan has a great arm, but if your looking for a mobile QB, this guy may make Drew Bledsoe look like Tim Tebow. He ran a 5.37 reportedly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/08/ryan-mallett-runs-5-37-forty-time-at-pro-day/

The issue with Ryan is his character and I don't know that the question has been answered yet.

Bangarang
03-08-2011, 06:11 PM
lol 5.37

He would require an offensive line consisting of Jesus and his Disciples blocking for him.

Prov401
03-08-2011, 07:19 PM
He's the most NFL ready QB in this draft. His touch is incredible. Brady ran a 5.23 at his combine. Bledsoe ran a 4.7. Who would you say has better pocket presence? It's a no brainer, Brady. Bledsoe stood around, patting the ball, focused down field the whole time. Mallett has better pocket awareness than Bledsoe. He knows when he is in trouble, and makes a good move or two, like Brady. Sure, your going to have to protect Mallett a little better than most QB's, but he has a quick sling, and makes tremendous passes. I could be wrong, but I believe he's going to make a team pretty happy.

TacklingDummy
03-08-2011, 07:29 PM
lol 5.37

He would require an offensive line consisting of Jesus and his Disciples blocking for him.
Dan Marino played well not being fast.

The white Michael Vick, JP Losman played like crap being fast.

Prov401
03-08-2011, 07:49 PM

The white Michael Vick, JP Losman played like crap being fast.

Exactly. Pocket presence and speed are 2 totally different things. Brady's 40 sucked, but he is up there with the best at avoiding the pressure. As long as Mallett has the desire to be great, he has an enormous amount of talent in that arm of his, and he will flurish. He has a rocket, and throws seeds. I would love him with our 2nd pick, but there is no way he would last that long.

BidsJr
03-08-2011, 08:04 PM
He's the most NFL ready QB in this draft. His touch is incredible. Brady ran a 5.23 at his combine. Bledsoe ran a 4.7. Who would you say has better pocket presence? It's a no brainer, Brady. Bledsoe stood around, patting the ball, focused down field the whole time. Mallett has better pocket awareness than Bledsoe. He knows when he is in trouble, and makes a good move or two, like Brady. Sure, your going to have to protect Mallett a little better than most QB's, but he has a quick sling, and makes tremendous passes. I could be wrong, but I believe he's going to make a team pretty happy.

You obviously never watched the guy play.

Prov401
03-08-2011, 08:57 PM
You obviously never watched the guy play.

I've watched him play plenty pal.

Prov401
03-08-2011, 09:00 PM
According to Brooks, scouts and coaches in attendance were comparing Mallett to a couple of Hall of Fame pocket passers, Dan Fouts and Dan Marino.

Yea, I must be clueless.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/08/ryan-malletts-arm-continues-to-impress/related

BertSquirtgum
03-08-2011, 11:18 PM
i'm not your buddy, guy

mikemac2001
03-08-2011, 11:50 PM
I ain't your friend buddy

SeatownBillsFan21
03-09-2011, 12:26 AM
I will tell you this I would rather have Mallet in the second than Newton at 3 but that's just me.

TMu11
03-09-2011, 05:29 AM
How many times are QBs involved in foot races anyways? I'd rather have a player with good game speed than foot speed. If he can dominate a pocket rather than rolling out every play it wouldnt be a burden on my shoulders

X-Era
03-09-2011, 05:39 AM
How many times are QBs involved in foot races anyways? I'd rather have a player with good game speed than foot speed. If he can dominate a pocket rather than rolling out every play it wouldnt be a burden on my shouldersAs I said in my OP, Mallett's ability to run isn't where I'm concerned.

Extremebillsfan247
03-09-2011, 06:02 AM

The white Michael Vick, JP Losman played like crap being fast.It's a different game now though than when Marino played. Now, QBs almost have to be mobile to get passes off because of the speed of defenses in general which are a lot quicker than they were in Marino's days. JMO

TacklingDummy
03-09-2011, 06:30 AM
I will tell you this I would rather have Mallet in the second than Newton at 3 but that's just me.
Or Gabbert with the 3rd.

Extremebillsfan247
03-09-2011, 06:38 AM
I will tell you this I would rather have Mallet in the second than Newton at 3 but that's just me. It's estimated that there are at least 7 teams possibly looking for a QB in this draft. If Newton and Gabbert go early as a lot of people think they will, Mallet wont make it to the 2nd round. I could almost guarantee he would be next off the board for QBs. Too many teams are being wowed by his arm right now for it to not raise his stock significantly even with the off the field issues. JMO

better days
03-09-2011, 06:52 AM
It's a different game now though than when Marino played. Now, QBs almost have to be mobile to get passes off because of the speed of defenses in general which are a lot quicker than they were in Marino's days. JMO

Marino had a very quick release & knew where to go with the ball. I think that would have served him well in todays NFL.

alohabillsfan
03-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Its a good thing he is a QB and not a RB. Just saying...

BidsJr
03-09-2011, 07:59 AM
According to Brooks, scouts and coaches in attendance were comparing Mallett to a couple of Hall of Fame pocket passers, Dan Fouts and Dan Marino.

Yea, I must be clueless.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/08/ryan-malletts-arm-continues-to-impress/related

Yes you are. Marino had the best release of all time. Mallett is not even in the same zip code. He is terrible throwing on the move and his pocket presence is bad as well.

Comparing him to Brady and Marino as slow guys who got it done is hysterical! You have the best release of all time and the guy who moves best in the pocket.

madness
03-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Mallet does remind me a lot of a Miami QB but definitely not Marino.

djjimkelly
03-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Marino had a very quick release & knew where to go with the ball. I think that would have served him well in todays NFL.

he would be like phillip rivers in the modern game

alohabillsfan
03-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Yes you are. Marino had the best release of all time. Mallett is not even in the same zip code. He is terrible throwing on the move and his pocket presence is bad as well.

Comparing him to Brady and Marino as slow guys who got it done is hysterical! You have the best release of all time and the guy who moves best in the pocket.

I think P. Manning is in the argument...

Bill Cody
03-09-2011, 10:25 AM

That's not what I saw in the bowl game. I saw a guy in Mallet that had no idea when the pocket was breaking down around him on most plays. I saw a guy that when he did feel pressure could not slide around like Brady and when he tried to throw on the run failed every time. And I saw a guy that choked in crunch time. Sure he's got a big arm and he can make some plays. But in the end I could be wrong but I believe he's going to make fans of a team pull their ****ing hair out.

BidsJr
03-09-2011, 01:30 PM
I think P. Manning is in the argument...

Sure is, but I didn't think I needed anyone else to validate my point.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Mallet or Locker would make me happy

ChristopherWalken
03-10-2011, 08:53 AM
I do not like the idea of Mallett.

Admittingly, I haven't seen the kid play much, but watching his combine workout was torture.

Its much like watching Herman Munster. He is slow on his feet and I think Slingblade could better toss the football. Each one of his passes were just very slow and even late on the break routes.

He does seem to have decent arm strength, and his accuracy seems on par (though he sure takes his time throwing). Can't comment on his defensive reads but I don't like the idea of this kid behind a Buffalo Oline. He would get his ass seriously kicked.