PDA

View Full Version : Zdeno Chara is a thug

Dr. Lecter
03-08-2011, 08:40 PM
<iframe title="Twitvid video player" class="twitvid-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="360" src="http://www.twitvid.com/embed.php?guid=WW2FD&autoplay=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Dr. Lecter
03-08-2011, 08:40 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mx2AxYxgqRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SabreEleven
03-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Jack Edwards is a ****ing douche bag, if that hit was on a Bruin, he would have been calling for a suspension right away. I hate that ****er.

Nighthawk
03-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Somebody needs to **** him up...

mightysimi
03-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Somebody needs to **** him up...

Have you seen him fight? Check this out if you need a reminder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMWLFca67ng

OpIv37
03-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Have you seen him fight? Check this out if you need a reminder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMWLFca67ng

it's memorable because it's the one and only time that he actually fought.

Usually, he spends the whole game throwing his weight around and giving cheap shots, then turns his tail and runs when someone on the other team wants to do something about it.

jcdavey
03-08-2011, 10:56 PM
chara is a complete piece of ****

the new racki

G Wolly
03-08-2011, 11:36 PM
I hate this goon *****.

If this were the 70s and he were a Flyer, he'd be a hero.

But in today's game, he's a ****in scumbag.

mightysimi
03-09-2011, 12:24 AM
I mean it was a bad play. However, when looking at it, do you think he was just trying to pinch off a guy that was about to get by him? I think if that happens anywhere else on the ice it is a good defensive play. I only saw it once but did you honestly see him realize the glass was there, then chose to hit him into it. I didn't see it. I saw him try to rub a guy out which happened to be at the wrong spot on the ice. Even in his reaction afterward he looked like he was explaining that it was unintentional.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-09-2011, 04:45 AM
it's memorable because it's the one and only time that he actually fought.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Krib30VVPbc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SquishDaFish
03-09-2011, 04:45 AM
You guys have to get by your hatred. That was unintentional. Im sure he didnt mean to slam the guys head into the pole. Come on now guys.

I'm battling for position and as the puck went by I was riding him out and it's very unfortunate that at the same time I push him a little bit he leaned over and jumped a little bit and just hit the glass extension

I knew we were somewhere close to our bench but obviously that wasn't my intention to push him to the post," Chara said. "Like I said, it's very unfortunate and in that situation with everything you have to think fast. You're not planning to do that or that's not my style to hurt somebody. I always play hard and play physical but I never try to hurt anybody

Quotes from Chara. You guys have hatred for the guy thats fine but dont put blame on a hit that you could tell was unintentional. Its unfortunate that he got carried out and I along with everyone Im sure hope he is going to be ok.

SabreEleven
03-09-2011, 06:02 AM
You guys have to get by your hatred. That was unintentional. Im sure he didnt mean to slam the guys head into the pole. Come on now guys.

Quotes from Chara. You guys have hatred for the guy thats fine but dont put blame on a hit that you could tell was unintentional. Its unfortunate that he got carried out and I along with everyone Im sure hope he is going to be ok.

Whatever you say, Jack.

Dr. Lecter
03-09-2011, 06:26 AM

So you are saying the pole just popped up there and he did not know it was there? Are you saying the history between these two teams had nothing to do with this?

hydro
03-09-2011, 06:35 AM

Didn't see this post coming a mile away :rolleyes:

rbochan
03-09-2011, 06:35 AM
You guys have to get by your hatred. That was unintentional. Im sure he didnt mean to slam the guys head into the pole. Come on now guys...

I hope Pacioretty's alright.
The scumbag knew exactly what he was doing. Chara didn't just hit him at an unfortunate moment when he was vulnerable. He hit him cleanly, but then pinned him and rode him along the boards - all long after the puck was gone. But don't forget, suspending him would hurt Greg Campbell's playoff chances. I bet we see Chara on the ice Thursday night. Campbell will take his time making any kind of ruling. Chara seems to get away with suspendable offenses, like hitting people after the game is over. Since Chara has a history with Pacioretty, I don't think this was an accident.

The NHL needs Donald Audette back, that little ****er would've made Chara's face look like Guy Boucher's.

Ebenezer
03-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Guess how many fans would love to see a Sabre make that hit......

The King
03-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Chara is viewed this way across the league. I dont think he's a goon, he's just so big most teams can't do anything with him so they hate him. He's literally booed in almost every arena.

Here's the definition of a goon: The hockey enforcers are typically players of less than star capabilities who generally play on the third or fourth line and see very limited ice team. They often act as protection for star players and typically face off against the opposing team's enforcers.

Chara is among the top defensemen in the league every year, his name is always in the Norris conversation, he also plays close to 30 mins a game. Also with everything that has happened to Savard and Bergeron, you're nuts if you think Chara is out to give concussions.

Hate him all you want... but he's not a goon. The league won't issue any suspension either.

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 08:56 AM

1. As far as I know, Chara hasn't committed any other blatant cheap shots like this, but he acts enough like a punk that he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

2. His team is losing 4-0 to a division rival. I'm not buying the "oops...sorry" line.

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Chara is viewed this way across the league. I dont think he's a goon, he's just so big most teams can't do anything with him so they hate him. He's literally booed in almost every arena.

Here's the definition of a goon: The hockey enforcers are typically players of less than star capabilities who generally play on the third or fourth line and see very limited ice team. They often act as protection for star players and typically face off against the opposing team's enforcers.

Chara is among the top defensemen in the league every year, his name is always in the Norris conversation, he also plays close to 30 mins a game. Also with everything that has happened to Savard and Bergeron, you're nuts if you think Chara is out to give concussions.

Hate him all you want... but he's not a goon. The league won't issue any suspension either.

He gets called a goon because he's big and throws his weight around but doesn't fight. That's why Sabres fans boo him, anyway.

The King
03-09-2011, 08:59 AM
He's a franchise player, he really shouldnt be fighting all that much. But you're right he imposes his will on everyone, which agitates most guys and they want a shot at him...

G Wolly
03-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Guess how many fans would love to see a Sabre make that hit......

Kaleta makes a lot of good hits.

But you're right, it's always different when he's one of your own.

But since he isn't, he's a ****in' scumbag.

Ebenezer
03-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Kaleta makes a lot of good hits.

But you're right, it's always different when he's one of your own.

But since he isn't, he's a ****in' scumbag.

Please...I attend the games...Sabres fans want more hits like this and they want them all the time. Most fans would call it a good night if a Sabre did this to an oppenent in every game...forgetting that scoring is the key to winning the game.

G Wolly
03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Please...I attend the games...Sabres fans want more hits like this and they want them all the time. Most fans would call it a good night if a Sabre did this to an oppenent in every game...forgetting that scoring is the key to winning the game.

Did you think I was disagreeing or something?

I meant that we have a hitter or two, but no one like Chara.

If he were a Sabre, I'd love him. But he's not.

Ebenezer
03-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Did you think I was disagreeing or something?

I meant that we have a hitter or two, but no one like Chara.

If he were a Sabre, I'd love him. But he's not.

No, didn't think you were disagreeing...trying to hammer home how most Buffalo fans view the game and how hypocritical they are because Chara is on another team.

JD
03-09-2011, 11:00 AM
What a ****ing scumbag. He knew exactly what he was doing, ridiculous for people to stick up for him.

And Eb, really? We want injuries? :rofl:

If a Sabres fan applauded this I'd punch him in the ****ing mouth. I'd call for a suspension if Kaleta pulled something like this.

G Wolly
03-09-2011, 11:14 AM
If a Sabres fan applauded this I'd punch him in the ****ing mouth. I'd call for a suspension if Kaleta pulled something like this.

Highly unlikely.

Beebe's Kid
03-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Chara fights (http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/167/videos)

Chara is lucky that he didn't enter the world of pain that is Gerbe, that's all I am saying.

Beebe's Kid
03-09-2011, 11:42 AM
No, didn't think you were disagreeing...trying to hammer home how most Buffalo fans view the game and how hypocritical they are because Chara is on another team.

The worst part is you are probably right...remember how "awesome" that bench clearing brawl between the Islanders and Pittsburgh was... it was actually being defended as "good for the game," because it was trending on Twitter.

People love the violence.

This hit was cheap.

OpIv37
03-09-2011, 11:55 AM

It depends. If Kaleta did it, I'd have a hard time defending it because I know he plays a tough game. He walks the line and sometimes he gets excited and crosses it.

If Hecht did it, I'd definitely say it was an accident. The guy's not used to hitting people and just didn't know what he was doing.

JD
03-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Just a little face mashing into the stanchion, no big deal

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg615/scaled.php?tn=0&server=615&filename=eqhvd.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Ebenezer
03-09-2011, 12:59 PM
And Eb, really? We want injuries? :rofl:

No, fans don't want injuries...they want violence...look at the flap I took for my criticism of the Isles/Pens game...which I believe you were one of ones dishing it...I stand by what I said.

SquishDaFish
03-09-2011, 02:26 PM

Exactly what they were saying on the radio on my ride home from work. Its because hes the biggest guy in hockey so they think he abuses his size LOL. These fans would love to have one of the best defensemen in the league on their teams.

mightysimi
03-09-2011, 02:47 PM
So here is the breakdown:

For those asking, here's statement from NHL's Mike Murphy who made the decision: "I conducted a hearing with Boston Bruins' defenseman Zdeno Chara with respect to the major penalty for interference and game misconduct that he was assessed at 19:44 of the second period for a hit on Max Pacioretty of the Montreal Canadiens.
“After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline. This hit resulted from a play that evolved and then happened very quickly -- with both players skating in the same direction and with Chara attempting to angle his opponent into the boards. I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous.
“This was a hockey play that resulted in an injury because of the player colliding with the stanchion and then the ice surface. In reviewing this play, I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career."

Here is a link of basically the same story http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357209

SquishDaFish
03-09-2011, 02:59 PM
In reviewing this play, I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career."

Thats the key part of the statement right there. That shows that only a FEW think hes a GOON. He is NOT a dirty player. Is he the biggest guy in hockey and towers over the smaller guys yes but that doesnt ean he shouldnt hit them or just quit playing hockey. Hes an IMPOSING force because of his size. He IS NOT DIRTY!

The King
03-09-2011, 03:24 PM
No surprise there.

rbochan
03-09-2011, 03:27 PM
So here is the breakdown:

For those asking, here's statement from NHL's Mike Murphy who made the decision: "I conducted a hearing with Boston Bruins' defenseman Zdeno Chara with respect to the major penalty for interference and game misconduct that he was assessed at 19:44 of the second period for a hit on Max Pacioretty of the Montreal Canadiens.
“After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline. This hit resulted from a play that evolved and then happened very quickly -- with both players skating in the same direction and with Chara attempting to angle his opponent into the boards. I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous.
“This was a hockey play that resulted in an injury because of the player colliding with the stanchion and then the ice surface. In reviewing this play, I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career."

Here is a link of basically the same story http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357209
http://static.technorati.com/10/06/04/13529/bagdad-bob.gif

mightysimi
03-09-2011, 04:00 PM

I'm not following. Is this an insult? I have just copied a tweet and posted a link. I could give a **** about Chara. Miss the season, it helps Vancouver.

rbochan
03-09-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm not following. Is this an insult? I have just copied a tweet and posted a link. I could give a **** about Chara. Miss the season, it helps Vancouver.

Nah, that's a pic of Mike Murphy.

mightysimi
03-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Nah, that's a pic of Mike Murphy.

Ahh. My bad.

MikeInRoch
03-09-2011, 04:40 PM
It's a really easy rule that should be put in place. You injure someone while committing a penalty, you are out as long as they are. Period. You end someone's career? You are done too. They have to clean this s*** up.

SquishDaFish
03-09-2011, 05:04 PM
It's a really easy rule that should be put in place. You injure someone while committing a penalty, you are out as long as they are. Period. You end someone's career? You are done too. They have to clean this s*** up.

In any sport if it is ruled intentional I totally agree with your logic on this one. Ive said that many times before in sports debates.

mightysimi
03-09-2011, 06:39 PM

So you go to lift a guy's stick and he moves it and you hit him in the face. He misses 2 weeks with a broken nose. You are out 2 weeks for a 2 min penalty? I don't see your logic. Also by clean this **** up do you mean to say it was intentional? You can no more clean up interference in hockey as you can offside in football.

MikeInRoch
03-09-2011, 08:24 PM
I don't actually care if it's intentional or not. It's unacceptable.

JD
03-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Highly unlikely.
You're the biggest tool on this forum. I'd play roller hockey on a tennis court with SkateZilla before I'd ever acknowledge your existence in person.

CuseJetsFan83
03-09-2011, 09:34 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357316

"It's been an emotional day. I saw the video for the first time this morning. You see the hit, I've got a fractured vertebrae, I'm in hospital and I thought the league would do something, a little something. I'm not talking a big number, I don't know, one game, two games, three games...whatever, but something to show that it's not right."

Mski
03-09-2011, 09:54 PM
while i do believe it was a dirty hit, i highly doubt chara (as much as i dislike him) intended to put another player into the divider, and if the play were anywhere on the boards but there (although still a penalty) i doubt anything gets called... after seeing the play for a second time, and not in slow-mo, the non suspension was the right call

CuseJetsFan83
03-09-2011, 09:59 PM
yeah i am sure that it is a natural reaction to raise your elbows as someone is about to make impact......

</sarcasm>

i am glad to know pacioretty is gonna pull thru, but i really feel bad for him. sure he runs his mouth, but chara has always been a goon. not the slapshot fight everyone type, but a master at cheap shots.

if he really didn't want to put him into the divider, why not pull up and avoid the hit and wait for open ice later on in the game. i understand the speed, and timing and all of that but it just seems like he bee-lined..... watching both the NESN and RDS replays.

Dr. Lecter
03-09-2011, 10:26 PM
That can he hard to govern though.

Any penalty?

If Crosby trips Kaleta and Kaleta breaks his leg does it apply? And don't you think teams would abuse that rule by keeping the lesser player out longer?

Dr. Lecter
03-09-2011, 10:27 PM
BTW, I am sure that squish will excuse this and find a way to make it sound like Chara is great, but he has not even called the guy or done anything to actually show he is concerned.

At least visit the damn hospital.

CuseJetsFan83
03-09-2011, 11:17 PM
BTW, I am sure that squish will excuse this and find a way to make it sound like Chara is great, but he has not even called the guy or done anything to actually show he is concerned.

if chara was "truly" remorseful he should sit himself out... but why would he do that.... he loses money that way.... and must really be looking forward to march 24th......

G Wolly
03-10-2011, 12:41 AM

I appreciate this reference because I understand it.

And I remember all the late-night TV jokes.

SquishDaFish
03-10-2011, 04:34 AM

I was saying the same thing. But in his interview yesterday early afternoon he said they landed in the morning yesterday and then said they were real busy in the morning. Prob a tough practice so they dont play ****ty like that again. But he said he is going to reach out to him. So im sure he did last night. Chara sounded like it was bothering him and you can hear his remorse.

chernobylwraiths
03-10-2011, 05:43 AM
"If he dies, he dies." - Ivan Drago

chernobylwraiths
03-10-2011, 05:46 AM
Whether intent or not, he hurt the guy, badly. You have to be aware of your actions. This might or might not have been malicious, but he had to go out of his way to do it and committed a penalty in the process. He even gave him one last push to send him into the boards. You have to be aware of your surroundings. He deserved a game in the least to give a precedent that if something happens to a player through your own negligence, you will be punished for it.

The King
03-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Any time someone gets hurt like this there's always this type of out cry against the person who committed the hit. I understand everyone being sympathetic.

My first thought was why would anyone try to squeeze by Chara boardside where there is no glass? Everyone is throwing this in Chara's face but if that hit happened 2ft earlier he benches the guy and the hit is played on every highlight reel for weeks.

Im hardly a Chara fan boy, but this thread is ridiculous.