PDA

View Full Version : AIR CANADA threatens to end its NHL sponsorship

JD
03-09-2011, 08:59 PM
It's about time sponsors start taking a stand.

SUNRISE, Fla. -- Air Canada, one of the NHL's largest financial corporate backers, is threatening to withdraw its sponsorship if the league doesn't take "immediate" and "serious" action on headshots, QMI Agency has learned.

In a strongly worded letter addressed to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman on Wednesday, Denis Vandal, Air Canada's director of marketing/communications, expressed concern over recent incidents of headshots and concussions.

The letter came in the wake of Tuesday night's controversial hit by Boston Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara on Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty at the Bell Centre. Following a telephone hearing Wednesday with NHL VP Mike Murphy, there was no punishment for Chara.

"We are contacting you (Wednesday) to voice our concern over (Tuesday night's) incident involving Max Pacioretty and Zdeno Chara at the Bell Centre in Montreal," wrote Vandal. "This is following several other incidents involving career-threatening and life-threatening headshots in the NHL recently."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2011/03/09/17558356.html

Ingtar33
03-10-2011, 03:29 AM
good for them

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-10-2011, 04:19 AM
This is confusing to me, they really care more about the concern over a hockey player than having advertisement in the sport that is the biggest sport in their country?

Dude
03-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Doubtful. It's all about publicity. They are piggy-backing on a hot issue that many people are passionate about. Good for them to call out the league, but in the end it's all about pub.

trapezeus
03-10-2011, 08:16 AM
canadien player hurt. Canadiens fans are outraged, their biggest advertiser sides with them. if the roles were reversed and naturally if any other player other than Chara got suspended like they should, Air Canada would have had the other side of this story.

"we advise you that hockey is a rough sport and americans should be tougher. We suggest you rethink the suspension or we're taking out money."

However, since i support the reduction of disgusting headshots from any team to any player, i like that they did this. hopefully this helps. The NHL obviously doesn't care about player safety. Colin Campbell, perhaps the only guy more incompetent than Gary Bettman.

mightysimi
03-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Here is Bettman's response:
"Air Canada is a great brand, as is the National Hockey League, and if they decide they need to do other things with their sponsorship dollars that's their prerogative, just like it's the prerogative of our clubs that fly on Air Canada to make other arrangements if they don't think Air Canada is giving them the appropriate level of service."

Ba-zing. Striking back.

OpIv37
03-10-2011, 01:28 PM
This is such horse ****, just like it was in the NFL last season.

Both leagues already have rules about hits to the head. Both leagues already have sanctions for when those rules are violated. Despite that, both are violent contact sports and head injuries will happen.

The King
03-10-2011, 01:37 PM
I also just heard the Police in Canada are looking into criminal charges against Chara.

This is more about an incident happening to a Canadien player than anything else.

OpIv37
03-10-2011, 01:49 PM
I also just heard the Police in Canada are looking into criminal charges against Chara.

This is more about an incident happening to a Canadien player than anything else.

even though I think Chara's a douche and it was a cheap shot, that's just ridiculous. It was one of those things that happens during an adrenaline-fueled hockey game. It's not like Bertuzzi's pre-meditated two-hand slash to the head or anything.

I hate to defend Chara, but Canadians in general and Canadiens fans in particular are coming off looking like a bunch of whiny douches on this one.

mightysimi
03-10-2011, 01:55 PM
even though I think Chara's a douche and it was a cheap shot, that's just ridiculous. It was one of those things that happens during an adrenaline-fueled hockey game. It's not like Bertuzzi's pre-meditated two-hand slash to the head or anything.

I hate to defend Chara, but Canadians in general and Canadiens fans in particular are coming off looking like a bunch of whiny douches on this one.

Agree this is ridiculous. It's the ******ed canadiens fans. I would hesitate to lump all canadians in with them. It's like saying all americans are ******ed because you voted in Bush. Twice.

OpIv37
03-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Agree this is ridiculous. It's the ******ed canadiens fans. I would hesitate to lump all canadians in with them. It's like saying all americans are ******ed because you voted in Bush. Twice.

Fair enough- I guess it's not fair to blame the whole country (insert Blame Canada youtube video here). But because of the police charges and the Air Canada thing, I'm thinking it extends beyond just Canadiens fans.

mightysimi
03-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Fair enough- I guess it's not fair to blame the whole country (insert Blame Canada youtube video here). But because of the police charges and the Air Canada thing, I'm thinking it extends beyond just Canadiens fans.

The police are just responding to all the complaints. Which comes from the Habs fans. Air Canada as mentioned earlier could use the publicity. But I agree all of it together paints a terrible picture.

SkateZilla
03-11-2011, 09:13 PM
All because a player on a canadian team got hurt....

its stupid, it was a clean hit, they tried to get Chara suspended, fined and even arrested. it was a clean hit, the guy didnt have his head up or he would seen teh glass..

As Much as I HATE chara, this is BS to the 100000th degree.

Lets End all US Sponsorships because BERTUZZI is still playing after what he did to Moore. THAT is CRIMINAL Intent.

mightysimi
03-11-2011, 09:19 PM
All because a player on a canadian team got hurt....

its stupid, it was a clean hit, they tried to get Chara suspended, fined and even arrested. it was a clean hit, the guy didnt have his head up or he would seen teh glass..

As Much as I HATE chara, this is BS to the 100000th degree.

Lets End all US Sponsorships because BERTUZZI is still playing after what he did to Moore. THAT is CRIMINAL Intent.

I'm not so sure it was clean. He did get 5 for interference. But there was no attempt to injure.

And in my best homeristic view, should Bertuzzi be at fault because Moore has a glass jaw?

SkateZilla
03-11-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm not so sure it was clean. He did get 5 for interference. But there was no attempt to injure.

And in my best homeristic view, should Bertuzzi be at fault because Moore has a glass jaw?

glass jaw had nothing to do with it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9RE9RGrVY

SabreEleven
03-11-2011, 09:40 PM

I've never heard of a 5 minute major penalty for INTERFERENCE? Roughing, Boarding yes, but Interference? Sounds like they were making **** up to get him off the ice.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-11-2011, 11:42 PM
They were reporting that the NHL will not use Air Canada for their charter flights if this happens. I guess that is a good part of their business.

jcdavey
03-12-2011, 12:40 AM
air canada gets props from me for threatening to pull, even before the nhl acted ******ed and didn't level a suspension at chara

but..... air canada loses props for , rather than threatening, just up and pull the sponsorship, don't threaten it, just do it

G Wolly
03-12-2011, 12:48 AM

Post is stupid.

Just because you see it doesn't mean you can stop or get out of the way.

Especially when you're forced into it by 6'9", 255 lbs of scumbag.

mightysimi
03-12-2011, 10:37 AM
I've never heard of a 5 minute major penalty for INTERFERENCE? Roughing, Boarding yes, but Interference? Sounds like they were making **** up to get him off the ice.

Then why not call it boarding? You can get 5 for anything if it is deemed severe enough.

SkateZilla
03-12-2011, 11:12 AM
"we advise you that hockey is a rough sport and americans should be tougher. We suggest you rethink the suspension or we're taking out money."

Thats pretty much what happened in the VAN/COL - Bertuzzi/Moore Incident,

SkateZilla
03-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Post is stupid.

Just because you see it doesn't mean you can stop or get out of the way.

Especially when you're forced into it by 6'9", 255 lbs of scumbag.

Still There was no intent, the bench boards are not a designated "No Check zone". this isnt the first time someone got hurt getting checked in that area.

I've seen players doing this alot the last few months. I've also seen players get thrown into open bench doors (briere had that experience thanks to ovechkin).

Criminal Fine worthy, No...
Suspension worthy, maybe (depends on if its a re-occuring trend with the players).
But its not like Chara got off, this incident will stick in the minds of the board for his future incidents.
And Im Pretty Sure we'll see a new "no hit line" around the front of the benches next season and a 2 min penalty for hitting in the box.

I've been seeing players getting thrown into the bench boards and run into the glass all season, so it has been a problem lately, one of the Sabres players recently had that experience of beign ridden along the boards into the glass did they not? (granted they didnt break their neck, they just got the wind knocked out of them).

the sponsors arent really threatening CHARA, but they want the league to look at headshots.

Yet every owners meeting they continue to make the rules more strict on headshots and blindside hits (which is good) and its the main topic at every owners/Gm meeting, so for the Sponsors to say the NHL isnt doing anything about the hit is crazy.

Also: Chara Got 5 for interfearance and 10 for game Misconduct which is ok per the rulebook.

Rule 56 - Interference

56.4 Major Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence, to a player guilty of interfering with an opponent (see 56.5).

56.5 Game Misconduct Penalty – When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

mightysimi
03-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Thats pretty much what happened in the VAN/COL - Bertuzzi/Moore Incident,

I'm not so sure. He was suspended for 17 games plus the playoffs and created a huge distraction for an excellent Vancouver team that year.

G Wolly
03-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Still There was no intent, the bench boards are not a designated "No Check zone". this isnt the first time someone got hurt getting checked in that area.

I've seen players doing this alot the last few months. I've also seen players get thrown into open bench doors (briere had that experience thanks to ovechkin).

Intended to injure? Maybe not.

Intended to finish his check? Of course.

IMO, Chara didn't have to hit him after he dumped the puck, but that's how he plays and that's how he's gotten his reputation, by being a large physical presence.

So maybe he didn't intend to injure, but given his past reputation, I'm gonna say he's still a scumbag.

And by the way, Briere wasn't "thrown into open bench doors"

SkateZilla
03-12-2011, 01:56 PM
And by the way, Briere wasn't "thrown into open bench doors"

What you you call it Ovechkin came up behind him and pushed him into and open door head first, then proceeded to get his ass kicked, i still have pictures of that, I was sitting about 15 rows up from the bench..

G Wolly
03-12-2011, 11:41 PM
What you you call it Ovechkin came up behind him and pushed him into and open door head first, then proceeded to get his ass kicked, i still have pictures of that, I was sitting about 15 rows up from the bench..

If you say so.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2972/82300863.jpg

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NxMJrQhGoSg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SabreEleven
03-13-2011, 04:15 AM
Plus he didn't proceed to get his ass kicked either, maybe he sat up a little higher than he thought.

SkateZilla
03-13-2011, 11:54 AM
ummm 1:15 mark, he dumped the puck, door was open he was about to get off,

Ovechkin got whooped by guastad i think it was, i'd have to get the pictures off my harddrive

JD
03-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Watch at 1:25

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/63k03M1isCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you've ever played hockey, you know that when you go in for a check.. you NEVER look away while colliding with a player. UNLESS the puck is near you. The puck was down the ****ing ice. Chara sees the stanchion coming, looks down the ice like he doesn't know what he's doing..and then finishes him mortal combat style.

If they didn't have a history before I wouldn't look as much into it as I am but to me, there was clear intent. The NHL fails, again.

G Wolly
03-13-2011, 10:47 PM
ummm 1:15 mark, he dumped the puck, door was open he was about to get off,

Ovechkin got whooped by guastad i think it was, i'd have to get the pictures off my harddrive

How can you not comprehend video and picture evidence?

The screen cap I posted shows Briere's head hit the boards BEFORE the door opened, just PAST the door opening.

And Gaustad tried to get at Ovechkin but couldn't get to him to "whoop" him.

Ya mook.