PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Nix at Alabama Pro Day

DraftBoy
03-09-2011, 09:14 PM
http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=14221396

Denver Broncos Executive Vice President of Football Operations John Elway, Broncos head coach John Fox, Cleveland Browns general manager Tom Heckert, San Francisco 49ers general manager Trent Baalke, Buffalo Bills general manager Buddy Nix, as well as Ron Rivera head coach of the Carolina Panthers were just a few of the marquee names in attendance.

Dareus didnt run the 40 but has a good pro day by most reports, Gil Brandt said this;

"To me, he’s the real deal. He’s a power player like Ndamukong Suh was last year. He could have that kind of impact, I think."

YardRat
03-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Please please please please please please please please .....

X-Era
03-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Please please please please please please please please .....It's very possible. I'd take Bowers over him. But I'd take Dareus over Fairley.

This could easily happen.

DraftBoy
03-09-2011, 09:24 PM
It's very possible. I'd take Bowers over him. But I'd take Dareus over Fairley.

This could easily happen.

No thanks on Bowers over Dareus, or really Bowers at all. Don't see him fitting into a 3-4.

YardRat
03-09-2011, 09:26 PM
No thanks on Bowers over Dareus, or really Bowers at all. Don't see him fitting into a 3-4.

I agree.

X-Era
03-09-2011, 09:28 PM
No thanks on Bowers over Dareus, or really Bowers at all. Don't see him fitting into a 3-4.I know you feel that way. I like his lower body strength and his play against the run. His bulk is borderline I admit, but I think it's adequate. Overall, I guess I'm willing to give up some bulk because of the pass rushing upside. My only concern on him is only one year of big-time success. But I have less worry about his motivation/motor than I do with Fairley.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-09-2011, 09:42 PM
bowers and dareus are both very very talented, i would take dareus, if newton and gabbert are gone

Philagape
03-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Dareus didnt run the 40 but has a good pro day by most reports, Gil Brandt said this;

"To me, he’s the real deal. He’s a power player like Ndamukong Suh was last year. He could have that kind of impact, I think."

WOW :drool: That's the ultimate endorsement. Stock through the roof with me.

malvado78
03-09-2011, 09:46 PM
bowers and dareus are both very very talented, i would take dareus, if newton and gabbert are gone
Well it's guaranteed that both newton and gabbert WON'T be off the board at 3.
But the pick should still be Dareus...

NOT THE DUDE...
03-09-2011, 09:47 PM
Well it's guaranteed that both newton and gabbert WON'T be off the board at 3.
But the pick should still be Dareus...

someone could trade up to denvers spot, ie someone who needs a qb...

BertSquirtgum
03-09-2011, 10:03 PM
i'll take dareus over anyone. the bills need an anchor for their 3-4 defense and he is where it's at.

justasportsfan
03-09-2011, 10:31 PM
going by Dareus' size I doubt Nix is taking him out to dinner

malvado78
03-10-2011, 07:12 AM
going by Dareus' size I doubt Nix is taking him out to dinner

I bet your right.

Ralph is taking him to Denny's...

3 Grand Slams please.

DraftBoy
03-10-2011, 07:25 AM
I know you feel that way. I like his lower body strength and his play against the run. His bulk is borderline I admit, but I think it's adequate. Overall, I guess I'm willing to give up some bulk because of the pass rushing upside. My only concern on him is only one year of big-time success. But I have less worry about his motivation/motor than I do with Fairley.

His lower body strength is fine, its his upper body strength, his technique, and his run D. He's an ideal 4-3 DE who is not strong enough to play 3-4 DE and not fast enough for 3-4 OLB.

His one year thing isnt a huge concern to me, but its something to consider.

tampabay25690
03-10-2011, 08:01 AM
The thing I like about Dareus and Fairley is they played ELITE competition week after week. I saw Bowers play vs Good OT'S and he was stopped.......
Most forget that Dareus didn't even play the 1st few games at Bama this year...
I dont know but Fairley and Dareus were unblockable in there Bowl games.

Bowers should have stayed on the Bus VS USF........
I don't just go off of 1 game but the upside of dareus and Fairley are just off the chain.
Bowers may be good but I keep seeing GAINES ADAMS when I watch Bowers....

k-oneputt
03-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Dareus was beating up the best of the best, week in and week out. Just practicing at Alabama with the competion and Saban is a huge plus to me. The learning curve and step up to the NFL won't be as steep as it would be from some of the lesser conferences.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-10-2011, 09:30 AM

Totally agree with you. Of the top front 7 players (Fairley, Dareus, Miller or Bowers) Bowers seems to have the most bust potential for me. Reminds me way too much Jerome Anderson of the Falcons. Same size, same college production (1 great year but two not so much) and same depriscption. Both were labeled great vs. the run and finally got it together in the pass rush department.

To me, if it aint Dareus (which I think he will be gone) I want Miller.

justasportsfan
03-10-2011, 09:44 AM
The thing I like about Dareus and Fairley is they played ELITE competition week after week.

plus he played under Nick Saban. If you can take Nicks yelling at players, chances are you are coachable and diciplined.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Now with Bowers knee, Dareus makes way too much sense, problem is he's def going top 2.

Michael82
03-10-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm just praying that he's not gone before the Bills have a chance to take him. He's the beast that we have been needing for years and is a slam dunk.

DraftBoy
03-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Dareus was beating up the best of the best, week in and week out. Just practicing at Alabama with the competion and Saban is a huge plus to me. The learning curve and step up to the NFL won't be as steep as it would be from some of the lesser conferences.

Im sorry but did you even check this before you posted it?

The only OT Dareus faced all year that was worth a damn was Derek Sherrod. Here is the full run down;

Kyle Hill-Duke
DeMarcus Love-Arkansas
Marcus Gilbert-Florida
Jarriel King-South Carolina
Bradley Sowell-Ole Miss
Dallas Thomas-Tennessee
Joseph Barksdale-LSU
Derek Sherrod-Miss State
Clyde Yandell-Ga State
Lee Ziemba-Auburn
DJ Young-Michigan State

of those players only 1 is a NFL caliber LT. We all know and agree the SEC is talented but at least check the kid's matchups out first. The OT's he faced werent very good at all on the whole.

alohabillsfan
03-10-2011, 12:09 PM

The only OT Dareus faced all year that was worth a damn was Derek Sherrod. Here is the full run down;

Kyle Hill-Duke
DeMarcus Love-Arkansas
Marcus Gilbert-Florida
Bradley Sowell-Ole Miss
Dallas Thomas-Tennessee
Joseph Barksdale-LSU
Derek Sherrod-Miss State
Clyde Yandell-Ga State
Lee Ziemba-Auburn
DJ Young-Michigan State

of those players only 1 is a NFL caliber LT. We all know and agree the SEC is talented but at least check the kid's matchups out first. The OT's he faced werent very good at all on the whole.

Sorry DB, got to disagree with ya on this one. I dont believe that Dareus lined up over the L-OT as a norm. He played alot of interior over the R and LG as well as LDE and RDE depending on down and distance.

Additionally Sherrod and Gilbert are NFL caliber tackles and King also will be drafted.

Nighthawk
03-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Love Dareus, but I love Von Miller at #3 also...should be an interesting draft.

Michael82
03-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Love Dareus, but I love Von Miller at #3 also...should be an interesting draft.

I'm shocked you love Miller. He reminds me so much of another Aaron Maybin type. :scared:

k-oneputt
03-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Kyle Hill-Duke
DeMarcus Love-Arkansas
Marcus Gilbert-Florida
Bradley Sowell-Ole Miss
Dallas Thomas-Tennessee
Joseph Barksdale-LSU
Derek Sherrod-Miss State
Clyde Yandell-Ga State
Lee Ziemba-Auburn
DJ Young-Michigan State

Were talking about college brainiac. Little tougher competion then what Carrington was facing in the Sunbelt don't tou think. And I see at least six of those guys getting drafted. SEC, all you need to know. Try again son.

k-oneputt
03-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Love, Gilbert, King, Barksdale, Sherrod, and Ziemba will all be drafted. Go ahead and name me another d-line prospect that has faced better college o-tackles then that. Looks like a week after week to me.

DraftBoy
03-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Love, Gilbert, King, Barksdale, Sherrod, and Ziemba will all be drafted. Go ahead and name me another d-line prospect that has faced better college o-tackles then that. Looks like a week after week to me.

Love, King, and Ziemba are all OG's, Gilbert and Barksdale are RT's if Gilbert makes it as a RT, possible as an OG.

DraftBoy
03-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Were talking about college brainiac. Little tougher competion then what Carrington was facing in the Sunbelt don't tou think. And I see at least six of those guys getting drafted. SEC, all you need to know. Try again son.

Who cares about college, this is about how he projects to the pros. You're argument (which is false) equated that he faced top level NFL caliber talent every week. Which he didn't, he faced alot of guys that will never play OT in the NFL. he faced about the same caliber OT's as everybody else did. To say the SEC OT's are some heads and toe caliber above other conference is false. Speed and hitting wise its not close but the OL talent is not there.

better days
03-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Who cares about college, this is about how he projects to the pros. You're argument (which is false) equated that he faced top level NFL caliber talent every week. Which he didn't, he faced alot of guys that will never play OT in the NFL. he faced about the same caliber OT's as everybody else did. To say the SEC OT's are some heads and toe caliber above other conference is false. Speed and hitting wise its not close but the OL talent is not there.

Well, he was not just facing the OL, but the entire offense including the QB. The SEC is the best conference in the NCAA & that can not be debated.

BertSquirtgum
03-10-2011, 04:34 PM
my poops smells :db:

k-oneputt
03-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Love, King, and Ziemba are all OG's, Gilbert and Barksdale are RT's if Gilbert makes it as a RT, possible as an OG.

Guards in the pros, but who cares. They have enough talent to be drafted and that is who Dareus played against. Are you actually arguing the competetion he faced ? You really reaching.

k-oneputt
03-10-2011, 05:20 PM

I'm still waiting for you to tell me the d-linemen who have faced better talent this past season. Shouldn't take you long.

k-oneputt
03-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Well, he was not just facing the OL, but the entire offense including the QB. The SEC is the best conference in the NCAA & that can not be debated.

For being a supposed scout you wouldn't think so.

DraftBoy
03-10-2011, 06:14 PM

The first sentence makes no sense, I dont recall a moment Dareus was asked to cover AJ Green.

Nobody is arguing what conference is better, but to say the SEC automatically then has the best OL's in the country is ignorant. Look at the top OT's in the country, outside of Sherrod can you really name another top OT? Maybe Sturdivant and he has a long list of injuries. Its just not a dominant OL conference, there is nothing wrong with admitting that. It doesnt change anything or make them no longer be the "best conference".

DraftBoy
03-10-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm still waiting for you to tell me the d-linemen who have faced better talent this past season. Shouldn't take you long.

Well considering the talent in the Big 10, and ACC OT wise there are plenty to name. Adrian Clayborn practiced daily against arguably the best OT in the entire country. JJ Watt went up against Carmini daily. Allen Bailey faced both Orlando Franklin and Seantrel Henderson.

DraftBoy
03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Guards in the pros, but who cares. They have enough talent to be drafted and that is who Dareus played against. Are you actually arguing the competetion he faced ? You really reaching.

Oh so now as long as you get drafted you have enough talent. So why all the hate on the small school kids who get drafted by you? Clearly they have enough talent to get drafted.

What do you mean who cares? Is your bias really that bad as to ignore the fact that he actually faced a rather weak crop of OL from the SEC? Why dont you look at it and give me a comparative analysis? Are you going to tell me Clint Boling is suddenly some kind of unheralded All-American OT/OG? Btw he's horrible. That Ray Dominguez is the sleeper of this class? Don't forget about those beasts Carl Johnson, Mike Berry, Ryan Pugh, and Jarrod Shaw! SEC does not automatically mean these players are the best of the best.

k-oneputt
03-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Well considering the talent in the Big 10, and ACC OT wise there are plenty to name. Adrian Clayborn practiced daily against arguably the best OT in the entire country. JJ Watt went up against Carmini daily. Allen Bailey faced both Orlando Franklin and Seantrel Henderson.

Go ahead name the tackles Clayborn, Watt, and Bailey played against this season. We will count all the future draft picks up.

Clayborn, theres another guy you were touting for a top-5 pick. OOOpppsss.

k-oneputt
03-10-2011, 08:17 PM
I named you six players on your list from the SEC that Dareus faced that will be drafted, where again does Boling come into this ?

DraftBoy
03-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Go ahead name the tackles Clayborn, Watt, and Bailey played against this season. We will count all the future draft picks up.

Clayborn, theres another guy you were touting for a top-5 pick. OOOpppsss.

Clayborn-
Bulaga
Relf
Carmini
Brewer
Adams
Fisher

Watt-
Carmini
Relf
Adams
Brewer
Cannon

Bailey-
Henderson
Franklin
Castonzo
Adams
Datko
DeChristopher
Pinkston
Hairston

Why would you ever ask me to do that?

Btw all of the guys bolded will actually play OT in the NFL, unlike the majority of the guys you herald.

tampabay25690
03-10-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm shocked you love Miller. He reminds me so much of another Aaron Maybin type. :scared:

Mikey I disagree with you 100% here...
He reminds me NOTHING of Aaron Maybin.....

The only reason Maybin became a decent player at Penn St was due to a injury and he stepped in.
Von Miller was a beast....

tampabay25690
03-10-2011, 09:15 PM

I agree somewhat.....
The SEC doesnt produce Top caliber OL guys but every other position they do.....

bigbub2352
03-10-2011, 09:15 PM
would love this pick

psubills62
03-10-2011, 09:22 PM

They're going to get drafted? Oh my gosh, they must be AWESOME!

Who cares if they're simply drafted? How many of those guys outside of Sherrod are going to even be considered in the top 3-4 rounds? Love is horrible - he's the guy that Cam Heyward boosted his stock against big-time in the bowl game. That's your example of the great talent Dareus played against? :rofl:

better days
03-10-2011, 09:24 PM
The first sentence makes no sense, I dont recall a moment Dareus was asked to cover AJ Green.

Nobody is arguing what conference is better, but to say the SEC automatically then has the best OL's in the country is ignorant. Look at the top OT's in the country, outside of Sherrod can you really name another top OT? Maybe Sturdivant and he has a long list of injuries. Its just not a dominant OL conference, there is nothing wrong with admitting that. It doesnt change anything or make them no longer be the "best conference".

My point is it is more difficult to make plays against a team with a good offense than a bad one. The QB can throw the ball before you get there like Mallett or run like Newton.

Maybe the OL does not look so dominate to you because the defense played in the SEC is so good.

Dr. Lecter
03-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Mike, Maybin played one year.

Maybin redshirted the 2006 season. He had 12 tackles, with 4.5 tackles for losses, one forced fumble and one pass breakup in 2007. He was fourth on the team with four sacks and was named to the Sporting News Freshman All-Big Ten team.

Maybin had a breakout season in 2008. He was selected as the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week following a six-tackle, two-sack performance in Penn State's 48-7 defeat of Wisconsin, in which he also forced two key fumbles.[1] He was named a Mid-season All-American by Sports Illustrated, College Football News and CBS Sports.[2] At season's end, he was named an All-American[3][4] and a consensus first team All-Big Ten selection.[5]

Maybin was on the 2008 Walter Camp Award watchlist[6] and was one of three finalists for the 2008 Ted Hendricks[7] and Chuck Bednarik awards, awarded annually to collegiate football's top defensive end and defensive players, respectively.[8] He was named the Pigskin Club of Washington, D.C. National Defensive Player of the Year[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Maybin#College_career

And now Miller:

In 2007, as a freshman, he was named Freshman All-Big 12 by The Sporting News after posting 22 tackles, including 10 solo stops. He recorded two sacks, four tackles for loss, and a forced fumble.

In 2008, as a sophomore, he played at outside linebacker under Joe Kines' 4–3 defense. Miller saw action in all 12 games, making 44 tackles, including 25 solo stops, and leading the team with 3.5 sacks. He made 7.5 tackles for loss, forced a pair of fumbles, and recovered two more. Kines compared Miller to the late Derrick Thomas.[5]

In 2009, Miller enjoyed a breakout season for the Aggies, leading the nation in sacks with 17 and ranking fourth in the nation with 21 tackles for loss.[6] For his efforts, Von Miller was named first team All Big-12 at defensive end and was named a first-team All-American by Sporting News and Sports Illustrated.[7][8]

In 2010, he switched to playing as a 3–4 outside linebacker under Tim DeRuyter's defense. Early in the season, Miller suffered an ankle/foot injury, but soon recovered.[6] He posted 10.5 sacks and 17.5 tackles for loss.[9] He received his second first-team All-Big 12 honors,[10] and won the Butkus Award as the nation's top linebacker.[11] He was also named a consensus first-team All-American.[12] He received first team All-American honors from Walter Camp, Scout.com, Pro Football Weekly,[13] ESPN.com,[14] and the Associated Press.[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Miller#College_career

How are the two similar?

tampabay25690
03-10-2011, 09:25 PM

Who cares if they're simply drafted? How many of those guys outside of Sherrod are going to even be considered in the top 3-4 rounds? Love is horrible - he's the guy that Cam Heyward boosted his stock against big-time in the bowl game. That's your example of the great talent Dareus played against? :rofl:

Love will be a Guard anyway....
I think that was CAM Heywards best game of the year anyway....At least he showed up to 1 game.....

tampabay25690
03-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Mike, Maybin played one year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Maybin#College_career

And now Miller:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Miller#College_career

How are the two similar?

Tom they aren't

k-oneputt
03-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Clayborn-
Bulaga
Relf
Carmini
Brewer
Adams
Fisher

Watt-
Carmini
Relf
Adams
Brewer
Cannon

Bailey-
Henderson
Franklin
Castonzo
Adams
Datko
DeChristopher
Pinkston
Hairston

Why would you ever ask me to do that?

Btw all of the guys bolded will actually play OT in the NFL, unlike the majority of the guys you herald.

How many years would you like to go back ???? Last I knew bulaga played in Green Bay.
Like I've told you before, if you don't think the best talent is in the SEC that's your issue.

k-oneputt
03-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Would you like me to add Carpenter for Dareus too ?
Call Russ and come up with something ridiculous for tomorrow.

k-oneputt
03-10-2011, 09:35 PM

You too ? Dareus played against nobody, I guess we should take Clayborn instead.

psubills62
03-10-2011, 09:38 PM
You too ? Dareus played against nobody, I guess we should take Clayborn instead.
I love how you twist in the wind and constantly change the topic in order to try and prove you're right on....something.

Nobody said to not take Dareus. I'm just amused at the blanket statements you make to "prove" you're right on something.

tampabay25690
03-10-2011, 09:40 PM
HA HA HA u guys are funny now it turns into a conference fight......

Dareus and Fairley are great players and will be taken very quick in the draft....
Yea and they are SEC guys.......no biggy

k-oneputt
03-10-2011, 09:42 PM
When you get stupid comments that Dareus hasn't played against anybody... He played in the best conference in the country and dominated. He wasn't dominating in the Sunbelt or Conference USA.

tampabay25690
03-10-2011, 09:44 PM
When you get stupid comments that Dareus hasn't played against anybody... He played in the best conference in the country and dominated. He wasn't dominating in the Sunbelt or Conference USA.

I agree....
I don't think anyone can say that there is any conference close to the SEC right now....It's just where all the top talent goes now.......
Just think how many SEC guys will be drafted in the 1st round.......

k-oneputt
03-10-2011, 09:47 PM
I agree....
I don't think anyone can say that there is any conference close to the SEC right now....It's just where all the top talent goes now.......
Just think how many SEC guys will be drafted in the 1st round.......

According to these guys Dareus didn't play against anyone that was very good.
Maybe we can take another Big-10 or sunbelt player with our 1st pick again. It's worked wonders the last ten years.

BillsWin
03-10-2011, 10:39 PM
I know you feel that way. I like his lower body strength and his play against the run. His bulk is borderline I admit, but I think it's adequate. Overall, I guess I'm willing to give up some bulk because of the pass rushing upside. My only concern on him is only one year of big-time success. But I have less worry about his motivation/motor than I do with Fairley.

*Ahem* Aaron Maybin *Ahem*

mikemac2001
03-10-2011, 11:32 PM
fairly dareus peterson green

those should be one of our picks

only added green bc i think he is a safe pick i want D and not some bust QB

BertSquirtgum
03-11-2011, 12:21 AM
i want the bills to pick dareus more than i wanted them to pick orakpo two years ago. so, i have a feeling he will either be gone or they won't pick him.

X-Era
03-11-2011, 05:55 AM
*Ahem* Aaron Maybin *Ahem*This response was about Bowers. There is very little that's similar between Maybin and Bowers.

BillsWin
03-11-2011, 07:53 AM
This response was about Bowers. There is very little that's similar between Maybin and Bowers.

Without studying him and just going off your initial concerns there seemed to be a few things in common. Undersized with only one year of good production. That's what you said.

better days
03-11-2011, 08:21 AM
i want the bills to pick dareus more than i wanted them to pick orakpo two years ago. so, i have a feeling he will either be gone or they won't pick him.

Yeah, I wanted Willis & the 49ers got him instead, the same could happen with Dareus.

ublinkwescore
03-12-2011, 07:52 PM
what would we have to trade to get #1 overall?