X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Mock Draft 1.0

1. Carolina Panthers -- Blaine Gabbert -- QB -- Mizzou -- Don't agree with the pick and still don't understand the hype. His numbers were average, he ran a spread offense and it all seems like the Alex Smith pick all over again, choosing a QB for the sake of choosing a QB.

2. Denver Broncos -- Marcell Dareus -- DT -- Alabama -- You can lock this pick in because Denver is not going to pass on Dareus with the shape their DL is in. Dumervil is coming off injury and the rest of their line is filled with journeymen.
    He is a can't miss prospect and it will be key for Elway to hit on his first pick.

3. Buffalo Bills -- Patrick Peterson -- CB -- LSU -- The Bills are a little disappointed not to get Dareus here but "settle" for possibly the best player in the draft. Whoever the Bills pick here it's important he pans out, they can't afford another Maybin, M.Williams, Lynch, Whitner etc. Peterson can help the Bills defense be more dynamic and more aggressive. Bottom line, Peterson is a football player for a team lacking them.

4. Cincinnati Bengals -- AJ Green -- WR -- Georgia -- Green is simply the best player available for a team that needs youth on the offensive side of the ball. AJ is also a nice peace of bait to bring Carson Palmer back into the fold. AJ can make any catch and run any route, a complete football player.

5. Arizona Cardinals -- Robert Quinn -- DE/OLB -- North Carolina -- The Cards have lacked a pass rush for some time now and they get it in the form of Quinn. Didn't play in 2010 but with the 2009 season he had he didn't need to.

6. Cleveland Browns -- DaQuan Bowers -- DE -- Clemson -- The Browns defense is going through a transition and Bowers would provide them with a solid building block with versatility, toughness against the run and a bigtime pass rush. Great value pick at 6.

7. San Francisco 49ers -- Ryan Mallett -- QB -- Arkansas -- The Niners need to address the QB position once and for all and to do so they bring in the biggest arm in the draft. Mallett can make any throw and will help bring along Vernon Davis and Crabtree with his downfield passing ability.

8. Tennessee Titans -- Nick Fairley -- They finally get their Albert Haynesworth replacement and it might be even more special if they get Haynesworth himself back in Tennessee. Fairley has the ability to become the best DL to come out of this draft. His one year of production bumps him down to the Titans at 8.

9. Dallas Cowboys -- Tyron Smith -- OT -- USC -- Smith launched himself up draft boards with his impressive measurements. His play in 2010 was great already but his arm length, hand size and weight ( 36 3/8, 11inch, 307) puts him at the top of the LT class. He has franchise LT written all over him and the Cowboys haven't had one since Flozell was at his best.

10. Washington Redskins -- Julio Jones -- WR -- Alabama -- Julio Jones is an athletic freak, that was clear from the combine. But this kid is no workout warrior. He has produced at Alabama for 3 seasons amassing 179 receptions. He gives whoever is at QB the #1 franchise receiver the Skins have been searching for since...... Art Monk. Sorry Santana.

11. Houston Texans -- Prince Amukamara -- CB -- Nebraska -- This is a no brainer pick for the Texans and their card will be up 10 seconds in. Amukamara gives them a shutdown CB to contend with the WRs that have to be dealt with in the AFC South.

12. Minnesota Vikings -- Cam Newton -- QB -- Auburn -- The Vikings are laughing when they see the Skins pass on Newton knowing the Texans won't take him. Cam gives the Vikes an athlete at QB as good as the athlete they have at RB. What a backfield tandem that would be. Why even throw it at all?

13. Detroit Lions -- Jimmy Smith -- CB -- Colorado -- Jimmy Smith is part of the best CB class to come out in a long long time and to me represents yet another shut down CB with his size 6'2 205 and 4.38 speed he is the prototype CB for the next generation. Detroit has struggled in the secondary for years and they need to match up with Aaaron Rodgers and Cutler.

14. St. Louis Rams -- Aldon Smith -- DE -- Mizzou -- Aldon Smith is just a fantastic football player. Has a variety of pass rush moves and has room to add more weight and power to his frame. Spagnuolo has a thing for pass rushers (who doesn't?) and gets another one here to boost his DL.

15. Miami Dolphins -- JJ Watt -- DE -- Wisconsin -- Not a need pick here, the Dolphins go for value. Watt walks right into the Dolphin 3 man line with Soliai and Jared Odrick.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Ryan Kerrigan -- The Jags will never stop Manning without a pass rush. They missed on Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves in prior drafts and they have yet to add a pass rusher. Kerrigan is Mr. Production and although he is sometimes labeled "high motor" I would say that his motor is german engineered. Kerrigan ran a 4.66 40 and had one of the fastest 10 yard split times at the combine with a 1.65. He will be productive in the NFL with his great technique and hand usage.

17. New England Patriots -- Adrian Clayborn -- If they pick here they will pick the best football player they can find on the board and that would be Clayborn. Clayborn isn't the fastest DE with a 4.81 40 but he is a challenge for any OT with his power and great hands. He can also beat you off the edge if you get too involved in battling him. He will fit nicely in their hybrid defense.

18. San Diego Chargers -- Gabe Carimi -- OT -- Wisconsin -- Carimi is for me, the most well rounded OT in the draft. He is a mauler but I think he is a better pass protector than he gets credit for. Once he locks onto his opponent you might as well break out the maple syrup.

19. New York Giants -- Marvin Austin -- DT -- North Carolina -- I love these NC players and the Giants get a top 10 player in terms of talent at 19. Austin is simply disruptive and is a bull in the run game. The Giants run defense hasn't been the same since they lost Fred Robbins. Austin actually compares nicely to Robbins.

20. Tampa Bay Bucs -- Corey Liuget -- DT -- Illinois -- The Bucs drafted Gerald McCoy last year but still need more power inside to complement the penetrating DT. A DE would have been nice here but the value isn't there. Liuget gives them a tough interior defender with the ability to disrupt the backfield.

21. Kansas City Chiefs -- Von Miller -- OLB -- Texas A&M -- This is a good spot for Miller to go. He is raw with his pass rush skills but has all the tools and a strong lower body to work with. The Chiefs struggled at times to bring pressure off the edge so Miller can be the final piece of a solid defense.

22. Indianapolis Colts -- Muhammad Wilkerson -- DT -- Temple -- Polian knows how to find the best football players no matter where they play their college ball. Wilkerson is a solid interior player who provides power and a pass rush. The Colts are constantly abused in the run game and Polian will be sure to address this issue and with a player who fits the value at 22.

23. Philadelphia Eagles -- Brandon Harris -- CB -- Miami -- Another value pick here and the Eagles need a CB either way. Harris is yet another of the talented CBs from this draft and can be compared to Dunta Robinson. Not as big as the other CBs that went before him but makes up for it with great instincts and a fiery attitude.

24. New Orleans Saints -- Cameron Heyward -- DE/DT -- Ohio State -- Just coincidence that Heyward ends up where his Dad played and was known as Ironhead Heyward. Cameron gives the Saints a dynamic DL that can help them inside against the run and can also line up at DE and give them a power end when they move into their 3-4 looks.

25. Seattle Seahawks -- Jake Locker -- QB -- Washington -- Locker stays at home and works under Pete Carrol who saw a ton of him while coaching the Trojans. Locker won't start day 1 but will be in a good situation playing behind Matt Hasselbeck for half a year to a year. Locker has plenty of tools to work with its just a matter of putting it together.

26. Baltimore Ravens -- Derrick Sherrod -- OT -- Mississippi State -- Sherrod is an athletic OT that should shore up the Ravens pass protection. Oher was not as good on the left side as he was as a rookie at RT. Sherrod is good enough to start at LT day one.

27. Atlanta Falcons -- Phil Taylor -- Taylor gives the Falcons a bit more power inside and a real run stuffer at 6'3 334. With Taylor inside it should free up their other DL to make plays on a more consistent basis.

28. New England Patriots -- Anthony Costanzo -- OT -- Boston College -- A home team kid, the status of Matt light is up in the air and Costanzo is the perfect replacement and represents great value here.

29. Chicago Bears -- Mike Pouncey -- OG -- Florida -- Pouncey is great value at 29 and fills a major need for the Bears. They haven't been able to run the ball as well as they have wanted to and their OL hasn't been good for a long long time. Pouncey will start day 1 and solidify the interior of their line in the pass game and run game.

30. New York Jets -- Aaron Williams -- CB -- Texas -- Its doubtful that the Jets will be able to resign Antonio Cromartie considering the other contracts they have to cover off and they understand the value of having 2 solid CBs in their backfield. Williams is another of the talented CBs this year and has great size at 6 ft 204 pounds.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Nate Solder -- OT -- Colorado -- Many will feel this is too low for Solder but I think the OTs taken ahead of him are better. Solder has plenty of talent but can be beat by speed easily at times. Either way the Steelers get a solid OT to plug in at either of the OT spots since they need help at both.

32. Green Bay Packers -- Mark Ingram -- RB -- Alabama -- How about a RB to close out the first round. The Pack get richer here with the top RB in the draft for a team that struggled to run the ball all year. So much for run and stop the run. Either way, Ingram gives them power and a great sense for finding the gap. He might have had an average 40 but his 10 yard split was impressive and that is critical for any RB.

Bills 34: Brooks Reed -- OLB -- Arizona -- One of my favorite players in the draft. Reed is just a pure baller. He can rush from anywhere along the line, displays great hands and proved at the combine that he has tremendous athleticism to go with it. 4.66 speed and and a 1.56 10 yard split. To put that into perspective, his first 10 yards is faster than Julio Jones, Von Miller, Dontay Moch and AJ Green. That is insane. If you have a chance to watch this kid you might confuse him with Clay Matthews.

Bills 68: Andy Dalton -- QB -- TCU -- Dalton is the perfect QB to sit behind Fitz for 1-3 years and learn the Gailey Spread offense. Dalton ran similar things at TCU and also brings similar mobility to that of Fitz and maybe even a little more.

Bills 99: Lawrence Guy DE/DT Arizona State

Bills 121: Derek Newton, OT, Arkansas State
    Last edited by Mahdi; 03-10-2011, 09:54 PM.
  • tampabay25690
    • Feb 2004

Re: Mock Draft 1.0

Yikes......................
    GO Gators!!!!!!
    GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Bangarang
      • Sep 2010

Not thrilled about Peterson but I would understand if he was BPA at 3. Don't like Dalton. Give me Ponder or Kaepernick instead in the 3rd if both are there.
      Last edited by Bangarang; 03-10-2011, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Mahdi
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Bangarang
        Not thrilled about Peterson but I would understand if he was BPA at 3. Don't like Dalton. Give me Ponder or Kaepernick instead in the 3rd if both are there.
        I would have preferred Kaepernick or Ponder, but both would be gone in round 2.

Comment

• Akhippo
          • Nov 2002

I think the would go with M Wilson at ILB in the second over an OLB. Especiall if we dont bring back Poz.

Other than that,
          Dareus is gone,
          Fairley doesnt really fit our 34,
          Green would cause Evans to be moved creating a zero effect,
          Bowers is possible,
          SO.... I wouldnt be devasted with Peterson, but hope, hope, hope for a trade down.
          Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by tampabay25690
            Yikes......................
            You don't like the Reed pick I'm guessing... We need a pass rush from both sides. Remember who we had rushing off of RT last year, unless you want to see Kelsay there again we need a day 1 starter there and Reed has that talent. We need to pressure QBs and who knows if Merriman is healthy or not. And if he is we have a bookend. If not, we have a solid pass rusher and a guy who also plays the run.

Comment

• tampabay25690
              • Feb 2004

I luv the Peterson pick but was looking at the rest of draft,,
              Mallett that early, Fairley going 8....
              Von Miller 21st.....
              GO Gators!!!!!!
              GO GATORS!!

Comment

• tampabay25690
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mahdi
                You don't like the Reed pick I'm guessing... We need a pass rush from both sides. Remember who we had rushing off of RT last year, unless you want to see Kelsay there again we need a day 1 starter there and Reed has that talent. We need to pressure QBs and who knows if Merriman is healthy or not. And if he is we have a bookend. If not, we have a solid pass rusher and a guy who also plays the run.
                No not that at all...
                The whole draft....
                But then again its just a mock....
                But we definitley don't even come close to how the draft will be played out.....
                But u never know...........

Nice effort....
                GO Gators!!!!!!
                GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Akhippo
                  • Nov 2002

Von Miller 21st.....
                  Harbaugh likes run, run, playaction with multiple TEs. That would play into protecting Mallett who can throw it now better than the other rookies. May be a good pick.

Fairley could fall with him being pushed down due to really good players.

Miller at 21???
                  Buy land in AK now. In ten years due to global warming, it will be the new tropical paradise, minus the tropics

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

Von Miller 21st.....
                    The question is, is Mallett a franchise QB? If SF thinks he is they will take him. They really have no one at QB and Mallett has an arm that many teams will be excited about.

Fairley at 8 is a fair place to go. He has very good players going ahead of him so it's not like he is bumped down by guys who were reaches.

Miller could go higher yes, but his skill set is a fit at 21. He is an amazing athlete but he has a lot of work to do if he is going to beat NFL OTs. A lot of teams are wary of the Vernon Gholston situation.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
                      We play to win the game!
                      • Oct 2009

I agree all 4 QB's will be drafted and I could see a team drafting Ponder or Stanzi too. So many teams have a QB need. I think Tenn may go QB. Teams may reach to grab a QB. I see 5 going in 1st

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
                        The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
                        • Feb 2005

yeah! replace Fitz with Fitz. not interested
                        if we take a damn cb i"ll be ill
                        In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• PTI
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2011

Just ugly. Bills are in deep doo doo if anyone sits behind Fitz for more than 8 games, he sucks. Bills will be out of it after 10 games and whoever they draft better play, especially considering Fitz is in his last year of his contract and will want minimum 5 million to resign as a starter.

As far as Jake Locker, he will not play next year unless he is on a really bad team. Seattle will compete for the division, they will not be playing any QB they draft, they will play WHitehurst even if they draft a QB.

The one surprise is Mallett, who I do think will be drafted pretty high.

Comment

• PTI
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by PTI
                            Just ugly. Bills are in deep doo doo if anyone sits behind Fitz for more than 8 games, he sucks. Bills will be out of it after 10 games and whoever they draft better play, especially considering Fitz is in his last year of his contract and will want minimum 5 million to resign as a starter.

As far as Jake Locker, he will not play next year unless he is on a really bad team. Seattle will compete for the division, they will not be playing any QB they draft, they will play WHitehurst even if they draft a QB if Hassleback fails or is hurt.

The one surprise is Mallett, who I do think will be drafted pretty high.

Comment

• JCBills
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mahdi
                              I would have preferred Kaepernick or Ponder, but both would be gone in round 2.
                              At this point it might be better to push QB back to the later rounds, either way it's a gamble.

Comment

Working...
                              X